Autopsy Adelaide wins the prelim [WARNING: ZERO TOLERANCE TO TROLLING]

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it though? I didn't see much difference to how Adelaide smashed us last night and the loses especially to Gold Coast and Essendon, who both sliced us open with ease.
Yeah it was. We sat deeper as a defensive group and tried to run and gun on rebound, the positive being that Hawkins and Menzel got lots of 1v1 looks on the lead. Defensively we were atrocious even against s**t sides when we ****ed it up though.

Okay and what about the ones who booed him when his face was shown on the screen during our national anthem. Our anthem is bigger than one man and they couldn't even show respect towards our country.

I'm not surprised though. 99% of morons who boo are not bigfooty or Reddit members, they're actually the fools who post all over Facebook.
Did they really boo him during the anthem? I didn't hear that.

I've had a chance to sleep on it, I'm still disappointed and frustrated but I've found acceptance.

This era 2012-20/21 is and will be an era that will go down in history as a failure. Clubs do fail, more have failed than not in fact, and we as supporters have a right to be unhappy about that, but it is all temporary. The 90's were a failure but thanks to time we have moments from that era that we still look on fondly, but they were a frustrating team of almosts and a thousand what-ifs. Scott's Cats are now in that bracket, a team of almosts that never got it done, there have been highlights like our amazing games against the Hawks and some great wins to look back on in 20 years when the dust settles, and I am now happy to go into the next few years expecting very little, maybe it'll come together, but it probably won't. I will be a Cats fan long after every player currently on our list has moved on or retired, a failed era won't change that, another shitty prelim won't change that and the club will still be here in 5 years and when a new era begins. Every supporter has a right to be pissed off right now, people saying otherwise are being ridiculous.
A lot of Cat fans are incredibly fickle. A good win and we are going to win the premiership and a bad loss and we are gone for the next five years!!! I for one usually expect a premiership every year and hope we can win one next year. This year we finished second and beat all the other teams in the top four during the season. We brought in 9 first year players, one winning a Rising Star nomination and with Tuohey one of the best trades of the year. If some of the injured small forwards are fit next year and with improvement to Buzza and others we could be a contender yet again.

A lot of Cat fans are incredibly fickle. A good win and we are going to win the premiership and a bad loss and we are gone for the next five years!!! I for one usually expect a premiership every year and hope we can win one next year. This year we finished second and beat all the other teams in the top four during the season. We brought in 9 first year players, one winning a Rising Star nomination and with Tuohey one of the best trades of the year. If some of the injured small forwards are fit next year and with improvement to Buzza and others we could be a contender yet again.
We are smack bang in contention.

Scotty trying to claim otherwise is him covering his are.

Our list profile has overachieved but 2018-2020(at least) should be our window.

And yes a lot on this board can be fickle but I admire their passion for the greatest team of all.

We need to ask the AFL before the 2018 draw two questions: Is it a level playing field or not? Adelaide had 12 games at home to our 7. We need to query this discrepency. And also is it going to be a real home final or a pretend home final?
Until then it's a bit like George Orwell. "Some animals are more equal than others"

The paradox being that the AFL in engineering the fixtures like this are detracting from their own product. We may well still have lost to the Tigers at KP, but it would've been a really close game. Had we made a GF against the Crows we may well have lost but it would've been a close game. From a neutral's perspective this will have been one of the more beige Final's series.

The paradox being that the AFL in engineering the fixtures like this are detracting from their own product. We may well still have lost to the Tigers at KP, but it would've been a really close game. Had we made a GF against the Crows we may well have lost but it would've been a close game. From a neutral's perspective this will have been one of the more beige Final's series.

It's hardly beige when ever a big inner urban club Richmond are at the pointy end. Pretty exciting actually. Would love to have had us make it but if not us then happy to see Tiges in it and by god I hope they win.

Go Cats!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit OT, but if the club decides to again have a bus convoy to interstate matches, it's something I'd recommend others to take up the option of doing.

And to be totally selfish for a moment - the trip wasn't a total bust asI now have to get this framed: A739A329-4FFC-4BCD-81F8-8FB6CD6E3E6E.jpeg

The game was lost in the first. Selwood was playing for free kicks. Then when we looked like we had a bit of momentum in the 3rd he kicked the ball straight to a Crows player than resulted in a goal.
Jesus christ, are you still embarrassing yourself with this drivel? Absolutely deluded. You're sitting here posting this utter crap about a guy who was our second best player despite coming in clearly injured. A guy who hurt himself badly late in the game but went out again and kept on smashing into the opposition because he didn't want to watch his team lose from the sidelines.

Statistics, basic observation of the game and every single person who has engaged with your trash posting disagree with you. You are wrong.

Richmond are an average team. We blew this year. Just like last year

In overall talent perhaps. But in commitment, effort and team cohesion they're exceptional. And their top three - Martin, Cotchin, and Rance - are as good as anyone.

Plus they've got perhaps the most improved player in the competition who no one notices in Dylan Grimes. Completely negated Greene's influence today.

I like Parsons and Gregson and although he's been derided on this board, Parsons has quality potential and more than Gregson IMO.

The players I listed are integral to our flag chances and need those 20 odd games.

I'd rather finish fourth and get those youngsters into the next games bracket than finish first or second with next to no chance of winning it all.

Structurally Buzza is vital, he frees up Hawkins closer to goal.

Hawkins is getting s**t on but I'm not sure how he's meant to lead to center wing and kick goals.

Congratulations to you guys, you really deserve it.

People will write us off next season but we will be there or there abouts.
Young players are generally criticized by supporters (on our board it's regular) ......but that's why it's called player development ....young players do make mistakes, but you have to envisage the final product after 50+ games

Parsons, Cockatoo, Buzza have what's required ......supporters only have had a glimpse of Gregson due to injury ....but IMO he's a real need to have up & running for next season....footspeed

In overall talent perhaps. But in commitment, effort and team cohesion they're exceptional. And their top three - Martin, Cotchin, and Rance - are as good as anyone.

Plus they've got perhaps the most improved player in the competition who no one notices in Dylan Grimes. Completely negated Greene's influence today.
Defensively they are an excellent side. They're not as good as Adelaide with ball in hand but gee they defend well.

Young players are generally criticized by supporters (on our board it's regular) ......but that's why it's called player development ....young players do make mistakes, but you have to envisage the final product after 50+ games

Parsons, Cockatoo, Buzza have what's required ......supporters only have had a glimpse of Gregson due to injury ....but IMO he's a real need to have up & running for next season....footspeed
Good post.

The hardest part of the development of our youngsters is that almost to a man they are late picks.

Our ability to develop later picks is not new with Chappy, Ling, Kelly, Johnson etc but they were supplemented by high(er) picks like Bartel, Mackie, Ottens and Selwood.

We need some high picks but we won't get them whilst we are contending.

Cocky was a high pick and that's about it.

Gregson and McCarthy are similar IMO and both fulfill the same role.

We need one if them fit at least.

Good post.

The hardest part of the development of our youngsters is that almost to a man they are late picks.

Our ability to develop later picks is not new with Chappy, Ling, Kelly, Johnson etc but they were supplemented by high(er) picks like Bartel, Mackie, Ottens and Selwood.

We need some high picks but we won't get them whilst we are contending.

Cocky was a high pick and that's about it.

Gregson and McCarthy are similar IMO and both fulfill the same role.

We need one if them fit at least.
GWS had something like 10 x top 10 picks playing today ......they were still crap

5 of Sydneys lauded defensive back 6 were Rookie selections .....Crows have Laird, Jenkins, Greenwood, Jake Kelly, Hartigan, Betts, Cameron ....all started as Rookie selection

You don't need top 10 selections ......just a greater recruiter (you have) & a great development program ?

GWS had something like 10 x top 10 picks playing today ......they were still crap

5 of Sydneys lauded defensive back 6 were Rookie selections .....Crows have Laird, Jenkins, Greenwood, Jake Kelly, Hartigan, Betts, Cameron ....all started as Rookie selection

You don't need top 10 selections ......just a greater recruiter (you have) & a great development program ?
We have Stephen Wells who is most likely the best recruiter in the game.

Teams can be successful to an extent without elite talent but you need elite talent to win it all IMO.

It's hardly beige when ever a big inner urban club Richmond are at the pointy end. Pretty exciting actually. Would love to have had us make it but if not us then happy to see Tiges in it and by god I hope they win.

Go Cats!!!!!

What I mean is the margins in games. There has been 1 game out of the 8 finals played decided by less than 6 goals. I'm not expecting the GF to be a close game.

How adelaide have transformed there forward line after losing tippet is astounding. They targeted lynch and jenkins with a plan to play them to there absolute strengths. They saw the value in small forwards. They found value in McGovern. They target players who will work well together in the forward. They also look at a point of difference that leads to a hard matchup

They have also proved how critical it is to have a ruck capable of rucking nearly the whole game so you dont have a ruck clogging up the forward line.

There setup of 2 genuine small forwards, one marking tall in walker, one agile tall who plays small in jenkins, mcgovern who is shortish but is strong overhead so is a nightmare to matchup and a medium lead up forward in lynch.

It does leave them shallow in the midfield as they dont have as many in the team as geelong as we tend to play midfielders as forwards and prefer more versatility.

If i was looking at geelongs forward line then ideally hawkins as the tall, motlop on the flank. We dont have a medium lead up forward as menzel has his struggles so he plays a similar role to mcgovern. I would look at chasing some role players from other teams, himmelberg from gws (agile tall), draft one or two more small forward with late picks, perhaps ben lennon could be developed as someone who can hit the scoreboard in bunches from richmond. I dont see McCarthy as the answer at all as he lacks the ability to hit the scoreboard in bunches.

We just dont have any hard working lead up forwards who play the okeefe lynch role who provide the link from forward to back. Instead we have plodders such as blicavs and menogola who have the running power but not the skill or talent to provide that link

Good post.

That and Chappy, Ling, Kelly and SJ were taken (from memory) between 20 and 45.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back