Autopsy Adelaide wins the prelim [WARNING: ZERO TOLERANCE TO TROLLING]

Remove this Banner Ad

That and Chappy, Ling, Kelly and SJ were taken (from memory) between 20 and 45.
A lot of our greatest talents were taken after 20.

However Bartel (7) Mackie (7) Selwood (7) Joel Corey (8) and Ottens (2) via Richmond were pure class around them.

Hawkins was a guaranteed top 2 pick if not for F/S as well.

There are quite a few I'm forgetting too.

Hooper was #1 but the next highest pick we've had is #7.

I'm not saying we need to be GWS but a few top 10 picks like Cocky would be handy!

A lot of our greatest talents were taken after 20.

However Bartel (7) Mackie (7) Selwood (7) Joel Corey (8) and Ottens (2) via Richmond were pure class around them.

Hawkins was a guaranteed top 2 pick if not for F/S as well.

There are quite a few I'm forgetting too.

Hooper was #1 but the next highest pick we've had is #7.

I'm not saying we need to be GWS but a few top 10 picks like Cocky would be handy!
Pick numbers mean jack all if their development is s**t

Pick numbers mean jack all if their development is s**t
All drafts are an inexact science (for each sport) but the AFL draft will have the high upside picks early, ready made/mature talent after that and speculative (but high upside) later on.

You can get higher upside guys 40+ which is different than most sports.

This is why Wells always reaches.

He'll take the speculative pick earlier because of upside as opposed to mature bodied guys who have lower ceilings.

He'll draft a shocker or two but most guys exceed expectations from where they were drafted because our development is A1 and you can't fulfill potential on guys who don't have it.

All drafts are an inexact science (for each sport) but the AFL draft will have the high upside picks early, ready made/mature talent after that and speculative (but high upside) later on.

You can get higher upside guys 40+ which is different than most sports.

This is why Wells always reaches.

He'll take the speculative pick earlier because of upside as opposed to mature bodied guys who have lower ceilings.

He'll draft a shocker or two but most guys exceed expectations from where they were drafted because our development is A1 and you can't fulfill potential on guys who don't have it.
Andrew Mackie board!

I'm still pissed with the Adelaide supporters behaviour. I was sitting in Bay 132 and an absolute wan*er was tormenting the Cats fans. Nearly caused a fight in the last quarter he was so bad.
Anyway, as for next year, I'm not convinced in Gregson and McCarthy being the great white hopes. We need some good small forwards via trades.

Let's get Ablett, roll the dice.

And hopefully Smith.

I'm not sure about Stringer, seems like a tool.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm still pissed with the Adelaide supporters behaviour. I was sitting in Bay 132 and an absolute wan*er was tormenting the Cats fans. Nearly caused a fight in the last quarter he was so bad.
Anyway, as for next year, I'm not convinced in Gregson and McCarthy being the great white hopes. We need some good small forwards via trades.

Let's get Ablett, roll the dice.

And hopefully Smith.

I'm not sure about Stringer, seems like a tool.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing I like about Gregson and Linc however is that they play as small forwards, they sit front and center and look for crumbs, so many of our other "small" forwards don't.
They go up in packs leaving defenders down.
We need a front and center forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can't have it both ways. If the club and supporters are happy to part with picks to bring in players you can't then complain about not having enough picks.
This really has gone tangential.

It depends, of course, on the value you get out of each trade. Two picks for Zac Smith, pick 21 for Stanley and a pick in the thirties for McIntosh were all overly generous.

Not reportable but the lack of free kick killed us, goes from 23 point margin at half time to 35
That was the third cheap shot Sloane had at Dangerfield up to then. The hit was a double motion, shoulder and then lifting the forearm. Careless, Medium Impact and High. (Although, I don't think Sloane cared about the ball's location at all).

That was the third cheap shot Sloane had at Dangerfield up to then. The hit was a double motion, shoulder and then lifting the forearm. Careless, Medium Impact and High. (Although, I don't think Sloane cared about the ball's location at all).
Duty of care and Consequence of action.

The thing I like about Gregson and Linc however is that they play as small forwards, they sit front and center and look for crumbs, so many of our other "small" forwards don't.
They go up in packs leaving defenders down.
We need a front and center forward.
I see Gregson as a Bundy/Stokes type - showed some real ball winning ability and strength before his injury run.

I don't get the "Tex" thing.
... I never see him in the game until it is already won, yet the media love him. Is it the mullet?
I can help.

Are you a fan of Tom Hawkins, your leading goalkicker? Walker scored more goals than Hawkins in the Minor Round this year.
Are you a fan of Dangerfield? Walker had more goal assists (#1 for goal assists in the AFL, with Betts at #3), which is a measure of Tex's team-orientated unselfishness. You don't "see him in the game until it is already won"? :huh: Look for him dishing out goals.
Are you a fan of J Selwood? AFL players voted Walker best Captain in 2016/17, in Walker's second and third years as Captain. It's an honour Selwood has won once, 2013, and fair enough back then too. Not only the media love Tex --- his peers recognise and respect his leadership..

"Get" the Tex thing yet?
No?

See it from a Crows supporter (my) pov:
WHY did Walsh in 2015 make Tex captain ... and not Dangerfield? o_O At that stage, PD had not declared he was leaving.
Tex had no previous experience with footy team captaincy, did not seek the captaincy and had always been a bit of a goofy lair (remember that mullet? yeah, well, it went years ago, even if I wish he'd get rid of the moustache that makes him look like a taller, more ripped version of Ron Jeremy :eek:).
So Walsh must have seen much, much more in Tex than Paddykins.
2016/17 have backed that up, irrefutably. Tex plays and leads with his heart. Tex's blood is tri-coloured and his heart has the Crows' hoops on it.

Here's the final measure though. No doubt we both have good mates.
Who'd you rather have as a mate, Tex or Paddykins? Before you answer that, ask yourself upon whom could you most rely?

P.S. (I'm trying to be even-handed)
I saw this in an article in our local paper The Advertiser:
"EDDIE Betts has revealed the touching words former teammate Patrick Dangerfield said to him after the Crows conquered Geelong in Friday night’s preliminary final.
As Betts was fighting back tears after realising he was into his first AFL grand final, he said Dangerfield told him he deserved it more than anyone.
“Obviously I was still emotional after the game and he came up to me, I’m pretty close with Danger, and he said to me ‘if anyone deserves this you’re the one, I’m proud of you and just enjoy it’,” ".
That's very classy of Dangerfield, for sure. Kudos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back