Club Focus Adelaide 2020 - Hinge, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Cook, Berry, Rowe, Hately

AFL Club Focus

What is your greatest concern about Adelaide's off-season?

• Recruiting via the draft (and acquiring more picks)

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Recruiting via trades

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Re-signing players

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the games. He got inbetween defenders, or he marked on the lead. Not diminishing his game, but the reality is you can’t build a career out of that as a key forward.

Key forwards need to mark in packs with key defenders wearing them like a glove. That’s a pre requisite in that position.

Once Walker, Betts, Lynch retire from that forward line, it will be tough going for Fogarty if he is expected to be the number 1 guy.

Fogarty will kick goals, but you will eventually realise he is a third tall not the key guy.

check out the height comparison and at the same age, Fogarty is presenting with better averages than Tex

check out the height comparison and at the same age, Fogarty is presenting with better averages than Tex

Fogarty already looks too big for his frame and he is 10kg lighter than Walker.

Fogarty is more similar in shape and size to Stringer, but stringer has weapons that Fogarty hasn’t, I.e. explosive strength, speed leap.

Walker is in a different size category to these two players but was still more agile than Fogarty and Stringer which is what made him so dangerous

Fogarty already looks too big for his frame and he is 10kg lighter than Walker.

Fogarty is more similar in shape and size to Stringer, but stringer has weapons that Fogarty hasn’t, I.e. explosive strength, speed leap.

Walker is in a different size category to these two players but was still more agile than Fogarty and Stringer which is what made him so dangerous
no he is not strong at all, doesn't have any sort of leap at all, cant take a contested mark and he is slow :drunk: . Now how about watch a highlights package of him that shows he can do all the things you seem to think he lacks

He IS explosive. He IS a contested marking player. he HAS evasive skills. he IS very strong in the contest

no he is not strong at all, doesn't have any sort of leap at all, cant take a contested mark and he is slow :drunk: . Now how about watch a highlights package of him that shows he can do all the things you seem to think he lacks

He IS explosive. He IS a contested marking player. he HAS evasive skills. he IS very strong in the contest

You are putting words in my mouth for most of your reply, but tell me this,
Do you believe that Fogarty is just as explosive as jake Stringer?

You are putting words in my mouth for most of your reply, but tell me this,
Do you believe that Fogarty is just as explosive as jake Stringer?

I think Fog will be a better and more consistent than that flog Stringer (who can go weeks without having an impact on games)

not many are. But Fogarty has all the traits to become a great full forward that can also play further up the ground and I think that is really beyond dispute

The point is he doesn’t have the traits of a great full forward. He has the traits of a medium sized third forward who can play up the ground.

Stringer isn’t a key position player either but as you aknowledge, he has physical weapons that Fogarty doesn’t have which help him play a more focal point role. A role he struggles at a lot of the time despite these physical weapons.

Starting 22 next season

B Kelly Thalia Brown
HB Laird Doedee Smith
C Milera Sloane Seedsman
HF Lynch Walker Murphy
F Stengle Fogarty McHenry
Foll: O’Brien B.Crouch M.Crouch
Inter: Atkins, Jones, Butts, Jones

Trade
Eddie Betts
Hugh Greenwood
Josh Jenkins
Alex Keath
Sam Jacobs

Bring in
Jack Lukosius
Bailey Williams
Orazio Fantasia

Would love to do as you suggest, But I doubt those players mentioned would give us enough to get those ins and even using existing picks it will be difficlut

Betts Jacobs aren't worth anything
Greenwood and Keath maybe worth a 3rd and 2nd respectively
JJ is worth a 4th

Starting 22 next season

B Kelly Thalia Brown
HB Laird Doedee Smith
C Milera Sloane Seedsman
HF Lynch Walker Murphy
F Stengle Fogarty McHenry
Foll: O’Brien B.Crouch M.Crouch
Inter: Atkins, Jones, Butts, Jones

we would struggle with only one KPD and we only have one jones

How do you think that team would go would it be a finals team and do you think tex still has enough left him in

The point is he doesn’t have the traits of a great full forward. He has the traits of a medium sized third forward who can play up the ground.

Stringer isn’t a key position player either but as you aknowledge, he has physical weapons that Fogarty doesn’t have which help him play a more focal point role. A role he struggles at a lot of the time despite these physical weapons.

Interesting comparison hes the same height as Jack Reiwoldt and slightly taller than stringer

Why wouldn't you compare him to Jack

I am really unsure why you would keep trying to argue against the facts and the body of work fogarty has provided to date?

OK, physical weapons. Fogarty would be the more physically strong player than stringer and stringer is not soft by any means. Fogarty has a has a mean streak in his play and he is quite agile as well. Fogarty is also one of the most accurate kicks in the whole comp making him ideal as a full forward. Fogarty is very strong one out and is fast on the lead..come to think of it, traits that a certain Jason Dunstall had. You can argue till the cows come home but facts are facts - Fogarty has full forward written all over him as a player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting comparison hes the same height as Jack Reiwoldt and slightly taller than stringer

Why wouldn't you compare him to Jack

I’m comparing Stringer and Fogarty as they have the most similar style and shape in my view.

Reiwoldt for most of his career has been a high marking player and looks natural doing so. Same as someone like Mitch McGovern, he’s shorter than all of the above but plays much taller due to his leap. In Carlton’s forward line Kennedy and McGovern are very similar size but are completely different forwards.

Fogarty to me doesn’t look to have the high leaping aspect to his game. He looks heavy. Being undersized, that will almost rule out a key position role in my view.

I’m comparing Stringer and Fogarty as they have the most similar style and shape in my view.

Reiwoldt for most of his career has been a high marking player and looks natural doing so. Same as someone like Mitch McGovern, he’s shorter than all of the above but plays much taller due to his leap. In Carlton’s forward line Kennedy and McGovern are very similar size but are completely different forwards.

Fogarty to me doesn’t look to have the high leaping aspect to his game. He looks heavy. Being undersized, that will almost rule out a key position role in my view.

193cm is on the shorter side against most at 195cm but he has strength on his side and lockett at 191 cm showed that

I am really unsure why you would keep trying to argue against the facts and the body of work fogarty has provided to date?

OK, physical weapons. Fogarty would be the more physically strong player than stringer and stringer is not soft by any means. Fogarty has a has a mean streak in his play and he is quite agile as well. Fogarty is also one of the most accurate kicks in the whole comp making him ideal as a full forward. Fogarty is very strong one out and is fast on the lead..come to think of it, traits that a certain Jason Dunstall had. You can argue till the cows come home but facts are facts - Fogarty has full forward written all over him as a player

Facts are facts, Fogarty is undersized and so would have Dunstall in today’s game.

Look at Naughton from the bulldogs. He can mark on the lead, mark body on body, stand on players heads, and mark in packs. At 195 cm he possess all the attributes of a key forward of today. Teams have to play him very tight with their best defender and he is the same age as Fogarty. He is the focal point of that team. They are miles apart despite Fogarty kicking goals the last couple of weeks.

Facts are facts, Fogarty is undersized and so would have Dunstall in today’s game.

Look at Naughton from the bulldogs. He can mark on the lead, mark body on body, stand on players heads, and mark in packs. At 195 cm he possess all the attributes of a key forward of today. Teams have to play him very tight with their best defender and he is the same age as Fogarty. He is the focal point of that team. They are miles apart despite Fogarty kicking goals the last couple of weeks.
I don't know how many more ways I can break it to you..you are just dead wrong

193cm is on the shorter side against most at 195cm but he has strength on his side and lockett at 191 cm showed that

Lockett didn’t have to compete with team defence. That’s why the forward of today needs more strings to their bow.

Harry Mckay is virtually unstoppable on the lead yet rarely kicks bags due to the defendsive set up the opposition will deploy to stop him from doing so. Mckay has to lead 100 meters up the ground to do what Fogarty has been allowed to do so far.

Thanks for that expert analysis. We’ll give him a try and see how he goes.

He’s towelled up the WCE defence and added another 3 out of 6 in a debacle last week.

Looks to be a bit there to work with

Adelaide don't need more good solid players like crouch and Sloane they need guns, would be a stupid move to trade for later picks, they need to roll the dice, they mustn't have any confidence in their recruitment manager Ogilvie, in getting that gun with an early pick and want to paly the safe option which will keep them competitive

IMHO putting all your eggs in one 'guns' basket is a super high risk especially considering you have the oldest list in the AFL. You also potentially bring with it the go home factor. (unless you consider Gould or Stephens a gun)

4 or 5 picks in the first 2 rounds makes sense to me. You then have a chance on an SA kid or 2 (no go home risk) and a high likelihood of at least 1 out of the 5 being a gun.

(For those old enough to remember there was a fella named Chris Grant who ended up being pretty handy - he went at pick 105!)

IMHO putting all your eggs in one 'guns' basket is a super high risk especially considering you have the oldest list in the AFL. You also potentially bring with it the go home factor. (unless you consider Gould or Stephens a gun)

4 or 5 picks in the first 2 rounds makes sense to me. You then have a chance on an SA kid or 2 (no go home risk) and a high likelihood of at least 1 out of the 5 being a gun.

(For those old enough to remember there was a fella named Chris Grant who ended up being pretty handy - he went at pick 105!)

Do we have the oldest list with Douglass and Otten just retiring with Sam Jacobs JJ Greenwood and Keath all potentially leaving aswell

Back