Club Focus Adelaide 2020 - Hinge, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Cook, Berry, Rowe, Hately

AFL Club Focus

What is your greatest concern about Adelaide's off-season?

• Recruiting via the draft (and acquiring more picks)

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Recruiting via trades

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Re-signing players

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In unlikely positive thoughts....

If finish with the spoon and Bulldogs second bottom...they wont get value for Ugle-Hagan at 3 if Crows bid on him before that only getting an end of round 2/start of round 3 compensation so.....

Crows give up GWS first, 20, 21 (Crows and Bulldogs second rounder which Crows got for Keath) for Pick 3 plus a third rounder.

Bulldogs get a bonus start of second rounder, we get top three, plus ammunition for Father-son/Academy bids.

Only one I can speak for on authority is Greenwood, I can understand about turning him into draft picks as Roo suggested. But we only gave up our 2020 3rd and 4th Rounders for him. They probably aren't going to draft anyone of note with those 2 picks.

I thnik its more what he would've cost us to keep at 28.
More think he was referring to getting picks in the door and giving them afl opportunities.

No point in going through a rebuild when you need to add pace with a slow, inexperienced 28 year old who is costing you more than market value.

Plus those picks are valuable points for Academy and FS bidding.

Roo's explanation comes across as excuses, but id agree with every single piece of it.

Last edited:

More think he was referring to getting picks in the door and giving them afl opportunities.

No point in going through a rebuild when you need to add pace with a slow, inexperienced 28 year old who is costing you more than market value.

Roo's explanation comes across as excuses, but id agree with every single piece of it.

I think everything he said is pretty much true but there was no need to say it publically...it just puts pressure and spotlight on Adelaide and gives a platform for player managers to pipe up and argue against it. I know roo is a big media personality but for the best interests of his club he really needs to learn to shut up sometimes...smarter club staff don't put that stuff on the record.

Agree with this assessment, the one backlash from it might be the microscope on his own club and how many Adelaide players are being overpaid, and if Adelaide overpay for players heading forward.

I enjoy the openness of it all, however, in a very conservative culture that AFL has around contracts, player movement etc. It might not work in his favour.

Agree with this assessment, the one backlash from it might be the microscope on his own club and how many Adelaide players are being overpaid, and if Adelaide overpay for players heading forward.

I enjoy the openness of it all, however, in a very conservative culture that AFL has around contracts, player movement etc. It might not work in his favour.

I just love it

Media "adelaide need to be more honest and transparent"
Riccuito: *gives honest facts and opinions*
Media "no not like that"

Media "the crows badly need a rebuild"
AFC *trades and lets go of multiple 28+ year old spuds/mid range players in one season*
Media "everyone wants to leave the crows, theyre a basket case"

No matter what we do as a club right now the media will find a way to pot us for it. The only people buying into it are morons.

Everyone in the industry throws salary numbers around. Hell the players dont care when their manager publicly announces their price, but when they leave for a money hungry overpriced contract (Lever/McGovern) you should expect to have it brought up, especially when you're producing jack s**t like those two are.

Will be the most interesting team to watch come the end of the season.

2020 is going to be tough for them, and I am tipping the next few years will be as well, depending on how committed they are to a rebuild.

Pick a few senior players to keep and identify a young core early on to join them. The rest should be jettisoned for picks and youngish South Australian talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back