Opinion Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Power

Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Power?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Interesting to see which club Adelaide fans view as being their biggest rival aside from the Power.

• Banned
I'd say West Coast Eagles but the fact is they just wouldn't care about us. The Bulldogs are over 97/98 as are St Kilda and North.

I've seen a similar thread on the Bulldogs board started by somebody else and they definitely consider Adelaide as a rival, although it's admittedly stretching it a bit as they have GWS, St Kilda, North Melbourne and Essendon all well ahead of Adelaide in the rivalry stakes.

I've seen a similar thread on the Bulldogs board started by somebody else and they definitely consider Adelaide as a rival, although it's admittedly stretching it a bit as they have GWS, St Kilda, North Melbourne and Essendon all well ahead of Adelaide in the rivalry stakes.
Are Geelong over the Colbert mark? :p

• Banned
Are Geelong over the Colbert mark? :p

I'd suggest it's ancient history :p given the fact we got you guys back by poaching Dangerfield, only for you guys to get us back in the 2017 preliminary final.

Plus I know you guys still enjoy the 2007 grand final more than any other supporter base apart from us of course. :)

Sydney.

Knocked us out of a few finals where arguably we probably would have beaten WCE (there seemed to be a rock paper scissors those years where we could beat west coast, west coast could beat Sydney and Sydney beat us). Plus Tippet.

Now we've finally got our own back on the trade stakes so that probably gives it a bit of extra spice again now.

Sydney.

Knocked us out of a few finals where arguably we probably would have beaten WCE (there seemed to be a rock paper scissors those years where we could beat west coast, west coast could beat Sydney and Sydney beat us). Plus Tippet.

Now we've finally got our own back on the trade stakes so that probably gives it a bit of extra spice again now.
Eagles definitely in the '00s they had our measure and stopped us IMO of winning a flag.

We really should have won one in the '00s.

Oh have I misremembered the rock paper scissors, was it that we could beat Syney but Sydney could beat West Coast?
Yep, you got it the wrong way around. The West Coke Eagles were the team we struggled with, but we could handle Sydney in that period

Sydney.

What about Crows/Demons (Lever) and Crows/Lions (Cameron)?

Actually a difficult one to answer.
Bulldogs due to the 3 finals appearances and the Troy Pannell game?
West Coast due to similar histories?

You could make arguments for many including Geelong and Melbourne among others, but I would go Sydney.

Had the finals game (1998 semi)
Had the top at the same time jostling for finals (05-06 - stupid West Coast)
Had the poaching (Tippett)
Had the off-field drama (Tippett)
Had the dummy spits (Dawson)

But then I look at it the other way. Are we their rivals?
I didn't think so until we saw their dummy spit over the Dawson trade. But right now it does seem to be the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d personally say Hawthorn.

Round 1 1991 - game 1 against the Hawks

86 point thumping at the hands of the new boys in town.

Dermott Brereton smashing Chris mcderm

Darren Jarman and Mathew Robran defection yo the Hawks and not sign with us

Our first ever final in 1993

2008 semi final with Buddy Franklyn and the refusal to move Kris Massie

2012 preliminary final loss by 5 points

I’m sure I’m missing a few things but IMO, this is our biggest rivalry outside of the swampies.

I’d personally say Hawthorn.

Round 1 1991 - game 1 against the Hawks

86 point thumping at the hands of the new boys in town.

Dermott Brereton smashing Chris mcderm

Darren Jarman and Mathew Robran defection yo the Hawks and not sign with us

Our first ever final in 1993

2008 semi final with Buddy Franklyn and the refusal to move Kris Massie

2012 preliminary final loss by 5 points

I’m sure I’m missing a few things but IMO, this is our biggest rivalry outside of the swampies.
Sam Mitchell knee to Tex?

Maybe Carlton with all the trading stuff? Menzel, Kerridge, Gibbs, McGovern, Betts and the first round pick trade?

Except I don't really see it as a a rivalry because overall we came out ahead.

Same reason I don't really see the Bulldogs as a rival.

Except I don't really see it as a a rivalry because overall we came out ahead.

Same reason I don't really see the Bulldogs as a rival.

What about other clubs that have been mentioned apart from the Bulldogs as a case for a rivalry?

Hawthorn?
Sydney?
Richmond?
Geelong?

What about other clubs that have been mentioned apart from the Bulldogs as a case for a rivalry?

Hawthorn?
Sydney?
Richmond?
Geelong?

I think in a 2 team town, where the rivalry is so great, and the history of people hating Port Adelaide in the SANFL, no other team really stands out enough to class as a rival.

I think in a 2 team town, where the rivalry is so great, and the history of people hating Port Adelaide in the SANFL, no other team really stands out enough to class as a rival.

I've seen cases for the Bulldogs, Hawthorn and Sydney mounted in this thread so far.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned West Coast given the finals history against them.

Richmond and Geelong are both looking like strong candidates in the rivalry stakes although no one has put forward a case yet for either a Crows/Tigers or Crows/Cats rivalry.

Back