Opinion Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Power

Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Power?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You could make arguments for many including Geelong and Melbourne among others, but I would go Sydney.
But then I look at it the other way. Are we their rivals?

This is the roadblock I run into when thinking about rivals. Depends how you define a rivalry I guess. A team we love to beat? Or does the feeling have to be on both sides.

In terms of our rivals:
Hawthorn? Yes, absolutely. But to them? Doubtful. For the last 10+ years it's nearly always been a matter of rock up and get the 4 points against us, often with dodgy help. Why would they feel a rivalry to a team they always beat?

Bulldogs definitely seemed to be going that way in 2015. But then they kind of ascended past our level. It was funny because we beat them in an away final, then Luke Beveridge's Pro Skater had a sook about Talia, but then they followed that game with the Pannell free kickathon. Was shaping up big time in 2016, but then they won a flag and in doing so made a few other rivals. After that would they give a s**t about playing us? Not really.

West Coast maybe, but I feel like we're more united over our similar histories and big brother status. Did lose some heartbreakers to them though.

Richmond? Nah. We hate them because we s**t the bed against them. But similar to the Hawks here. Why would they care about us? Do we care about St Kilda or North? Yeah we "got a few back on them" afterwards, and seem to play well against them at AO. But grand finals are at the MCG so who cares.

Geelong is perhaps one that has a bit of fuel. I get the feeling they like beating us nearly as much as we like beating them. North probably hate us but like I mentioned before, I don't think we really care about them. Regardless of who the actual answer is, they don't come within daylight to Port.

Bulldogs definitely seemed to be going that way in 2015. But then they kind of ascended past our level. It was funny because we beat them in an away final, then Luke Beveridge's Pro Skater had a sook about Talia

I still find it funny how Luke Beveridge had a colossal sook about this, blamed us, blamed Daniel Talia, said it needed a full investigation - when it was his own ******* player that allegedly leaked the game plan

This is the roadblock I run into when thinking about rivals. Depends how you define a rivalry I guess. A team we love to beat? Or does the feeling have to be on both sides.

Richmond? Nah. We hate them because we sh*t the bed against them. But similar to the Hawks here. Why would they care about us? Do we care about St Kilda or North? Yeah we "got a few back on them" afterwards, and seem to play well against them at AO. But grand finals are at the MCG so who cares.

Geelong is perhaps one that has a bit of fuel. I get the feeling they like beating us nearly as much as we like beating them. North probably hate us but like I mentioned before, I don't think we really care about them.

The general consensus seems to be that it's probably either Richmond or Geelong which is the biggest rivalry after the Power and the side which the Crows hate losing to the most, which is ironic when you consider the fact Richmond and Geelong supporters certainly hate losing to each other more than they hate losing to most other clubs.

The general consensus seems to be that it's probably either Richmond or Geelong which is the biggest rivalry after the Power and the side which the Crows hate losing to the most, which is ironic when you consider the fact Richmond and Geelong supporters certainly hate losing to each other more than they hate losing to most other clubs.
After the Power, I really dont think we have a rivalry where we genuinely hate losing to a team.

Geelong and Carlton may be up there, but that I feel is more to do with recent trading, ie Dangerfield, Gibbs than anything else.

After the Power, I really dont think we have a rivalry where we genuinely hate losing to a team.

Geelong and Carlton may be up there, but that I feel is more to do with recent trading, ie Dangerfield, Gibbs than anything else.

Richmond?
Bulldogs?

Richmond?
Bulldogs?
I cant speak for all Crows posters here, but we genuinely dont have a big rival outside the Power, which is genuine and real.

In a kinda of way its good. Our rivalry is not manufactured at all like you see between some Vic Clubs.

Lets use your Club as an example, I can totally see and understand the rivalry you have with the Hawks and it looks and feels real, but not with other Clubs.

I cant speak for all Crows posters here, but we genuinely dont have a big rival outside the Power, which is genuine and real.

In a kinda of way its good. Our rivalry is not manufactured at all like you see between some Vic Clubs.

Lets use your Club as an example, I can totally see and understand the rivalry you have with the Hawks and it looks and feels real, but not with other Clubs.

It's a bit like that with every club where they feel as though they have one or two real and genuine rivalries that are always there regardless of ladder positions.

It's not always a two way street though and in fact a lot of the time it's a one way street. Brisbane for example they have a real and genuine rivalry with Collingwood but it's mostly one way, same goes for North Melbourne in that they have a real and genuine rivalry with Essendon, but it's mostly one way.

Adelaide - Port Adelaide
Brisbane - Collingwood
Carlton - Collingwood and Essendon
Collingwood - Carlton and Essendon
Essendon - Carlton and Hawthorn
Fremantle - West Coast
Geelong - Hawthorn
Gold Coast - none
GWS - Sydney and Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn - Geelong and Essendon
Melbourne - Collingwood and Geelong
North Melbourne - Essendon
Port Adelaide - Adelaide
Richmond - Carlton and Collingwood
St Kilda - Western Bulldogs
Sydney - GWS and Hawthorn
West Coast - Fremantle
Western Bulldogs - GWS and St Kilda

It's a bit like that with every club where they feel as though they have one or two real and genuine rivalries that are always there regardless of ladder positions.

It's not always a two way street though and in fact a lot of the time it's a one way street. Brisbane for example they have a real and genuine rivalry with Collingwood but it's mostly one way, same goes for North Melbourne in that they have a real and genuine rivalry with Essendon, but it's mostly one way.

Adelaide - Port Adelaide
Brisbane - Collingwood
Fremantle - West Coast
Geelong - Hawthorn
Gold Coast - none
Port Adelaide - Adelaide
West Coast - Fremantle
I don't agree that club rivalries can be a one-way thing at all. It needs to be a shared sentiment. If the other side isn't even aware of it, or simply doesn't give a s**t, how can that be considered a rivalry?

If the other side isn't even aware of it, or simply doesn't give a sh*t, how can that be considered a rivalry?

fetchimage

Adelaide - Port Adelaide
Brisbane - Collingwood
Fremantle - West Coast
Geelong - Hawthorn
Gold Coast - none
Port Adelaide - Adelaide
West Coast - Fremantle

From my perspective this is how I view the rivalries that genuinely exist.

Adelaide - Port Adelaide
Brisbane -
Collingwood - Carlton
Essendon - Carlton
Fremantle - West Coast
Geelong - Hawthorn
Gold Coast -
GWS - Sydney
Hawthorn - Geelong
Melbourne -
North Melbourne -
Port Adelaide - Adelaide
Richmond -
St Kilda -
Sydney - GWS
West Coast - Fremantle
Western Bulldogs -

If I see the draw for the round and notice these clubs competing than sure I know it will be potentially a good game and there will be genuine heat in the game given the history.

Interesting to see which club Adelaide fans view as being their biggest rival aside from the Power.
I don't consider Port a rival and they aren't worthy of the title.

West Coast, Hawthorn, Essendon, Sydney, Richmond, Geelong, even the Bulldogs. We have a genuine rivalry with these teams built over years of finals wins/losses.

We've met Port once in a final and we thrashed them.

'But, but, what about the Showdowns??' Nothing but an over hyped minor round match between a team that is important to the structure of the national competition and a debt riddled minnow that is slightly less important than Norf.

Last edited:
What about Crows/Demons (Lever) and Crows/Lions (Cameron)?
I’m late to the thread, but it’s never been about the player (or every single club would be our biggest rival). Our rivalry is based on the arm wrestles from clubs that probably seriously influenced our finals campaign!

for me it’s Eagles and Sydney. Maybe Doggies.

I’m late to the thread, but it’s never been about the player (or every single club would be our biggest rival).

The general consensus amongst Adelaide supporters is that Adelaide's biggest rivalries aside from the Crows/Power rivalry are Crows/Bulldogs, Crows/Cats and Crows/Tigers.

Unless there's something I'm missing in regards to the Crows/Cats then it's clear to me this rivalry is about Patrick Dangerfield.

Our rivalry is based on the arm wrestles from clubs that probably seriously influenced our finals campaign!

for me it’s Eagles and Sydney. Maybe Doggies.

What about Richmond?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The general consensus amongst Adelaide supporters is that Adelaide's biggest rivalries aside from the Crows/Power rivalry are Crows/Bulldogs, Crows/Cats and Crows/Tigers.

Unless there's something I'm missing in regards to the Crows/Cats then it's clear to me this rivalry is about Patrick Dangerfield.

What about Richmond?
I don’t think so!

the Danger one is interesting.

Adelaide and the Bulldogs are unique in not only do they share a rivalry which is reciprocated two ways, but given the fact Port Adelaide and Richmond also share a rivalry which is reciprocated two ways, the unique factor is that the inverse of these match ups (Crows/Tigers and Power/Bulldogs) are two of the more forgettable fixtures on the footy calendar, given it's difficult to even recall a classic match from either of those match ups.

Adelaide and the Bulldogs are both in the minority of clubs that don't have any rivalry with Collingwood as well, because Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs would be the clubs that don't have a rivalry with Collingwood.

Adelaide - Port Adelaide
Brisbane -
Collingwood - Carlton
Essendon - Carlton
Fremantle - West Coast
Geelong - Hawthorn
Gold Coast -
GWS - Sydney
Hawthorn - Geelong
Melbourne -
North Melbourne -
Port Adelaide - Adelaide
Richmond -
St Kilda -
Sydney - GWS
West Coast - Fremantle
Western Bulldogs -

If I see the draw for the round and notice these clubs competing than sure I know it will be potentially a good game and there will be genuine heat in the game given the history.

I agree with most of this, I reckon there was a genuine rivalry brewing between GWS and Bulldogs but moving forward that may now be superseded by the Bulldogs and Melbourne.

I agree with most of this, I reckon there was a genuine rivalry brewing between GWS and Bulldogs but moving forward that may now be superseded by the Bulldogs and Melbourne.

GWS definitely have solid rivalries with both Sydney and the Western Bulldogs.

It's impressive given the fact GWS have only been in the league 10 years yet they already have two solid rivalries, both of which are reciprocated too.

I don't consider Port a rival and they aren't worthy of the title.

West Coast, Hawthorn, Essendon, Sydney, Richmond, Geelong, even the Bulldogs. We have a genuine rivalry with these teams built over years of finals wins/losses.

We've met Port once in a final and we thrashed them.

'But, but, what about the Showdowns??' Nothing but an over hyped minor round match between a team that is important to the structure of the national competition and a debt riddled minnow that is slightly less important than Norf.
Showdown count of 26:24 and flags 2:1 suggests otherwise

The other rivalries depend on what happened in the preceding couple of seasons especially finals and player movements, but we hate Port forever and gloat when they lose, and they hate us - as it should be

98, Blight, Carey

It’s North guys, just accept it

For you maybe. It might be reciprocated in the next decade though seeing how in sync our two clubs are at the moment.

Adelaide - Port Adelaide
Brisbane -
Collingwood - Carlton
Essendon - Carlton
Fremantle - West Coast
Geelong - Hawthorn
Gold Coast -
GWS - Sydney
Hawthorn - Geelong
Melbourne -
North Melbourne -
Port Adelaide - Adelaide
Richmond -
St Kilda -
Sydney - GWS
West Coast - Fremantle
Western Bulldogs -

I think GWS / Western Bulldogs is growing legs and hopefully it can continue to mature and not just be about a couple nasty incidences in games that happened at some point, like the Freo / Geelong "rivalry"

The Adelaide / Geelong rivalry is all about Dangerfield which is why its starting to thin out now while Dangerfield is on his downward spiral to becoming a liability for the Cats.

I think GWS / Western Bulldogs is growing legs and hopefully it can continue to mature and not just be about a couple nasty incidences in games that happened at some point, like the Freo / Geelong "rivalry"

The Adelaide / Geelong rivalry is all about Dangerfield which is why its starting to thin out now while Dangerfield is on his downward spiral to becoming a liability for the Cats.

What about the Crows/Tigers rivalry?

Would you suggest it's bigger or smaller than the Crows/Cats rivalry?

Back