Opinion Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Power

Adelaide's biggest rival aside from the Power?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that how the average north fan feels? Maybe it in the 00's, but it seems to have dissipated a lot since then. I can see the rivalvry growing over the next 5 years as we we're at a similar development stage.

North supporters hate *Essendon with the fire of a thousand suns. It’s not so much a rivalry as a hatred.

Doesn't seem like we have any other genuine rivalries right now, but most rivavlries are fluid. Theres only a handful that stay relevant over extended periods. Sydney/Hawthorn was a top 4 rivalry in the league from 2012-16, but is basically non-existent now.

From our past I'd say the biggest were west coast, and geelong from 2016-18. Bulldogs were kinda of there in the background for awhile and and had a resurgence in 2016 but then it went dormant again.

Over the next 3-5 years i see early potential for new/rekindled rivalries with:
Sydney - they were mighty salty about Dawson, and I think we'll catch up to them on the ladder, so more games of high significance

North - similar to sydney, will rise up the ladder at the same time, plus a bit of history there.

carlton? - i feel like this was an almost rivalry for the last 5 years because trading that caused some animosity between fans but it never had an on field spark to make it genuine. Still might become more prominent but less likely than the other 2.

Who would they happen to be?

Cleveland Browns arch rival

But much like Port their fanbase consists of intermarriage amongst cousins, three teeth in their head, and a distinctive awful odor

:)

Rivalries have to be cultivated and pushed onto the masses with media hype.

People think rivalries are organic, that they come about because of great on-field contests. That might sustain a rivalry for a season or two, but it will quickly die off unless it’s marketed, pushed and promoted with trumped-up media hype.

When was the last time Essendon and Collingwood played a game worth watching? Two of the most underperforming clubs of recent times have the biggest rivarly in the game — because they play on ANZAC Day.

Same thing with Hawthorn and Geelong playing on Easter Monday. Geelong after 2008 won about 3 million games in a row against Hawthorn but somehow they were all compelling viewing.

Hype matters.

I actually think the Port Adelaide/Adelaide rivalry is the most organic of the lot. Of course there is some hype and marketing behind it, but the supporter bases of these two teams hate losing to each other so much that these games generate organic interest regardless of what else is happening or when they are played.

I've noticed our clubs both share mutual hatred of Geelong and Richmond, and I often wonder if this is simply a case of hating Victoria with Geelong and Richmond copping our hate due to being the better performed Victorian clubs in recent times.

Adelaide also tend to be in the minority of clubs that don't view Collingwood as a rival, but that's probably down to Colingwood owning the Crows ever since day dot.

In fact, Adelaide have nearly as many wins against Gold Coast as they do against Collingwood, despite having played games against Collingwood for an extra 20 years!

There'd need to be a catalyst to form a Rivalry with another team. The Dogs and GWS had the Ward trade, Boyd/Griffen trade leading into a few on field incidents (Shiel KO'd in the 16' prelim, Bont hit on Haynes in 19'). They even trolled them bidding on Darcy instead of Daicos. The 16 prelim was also rated ahead of the 89 GF as the best game ever on fox. It seems to take quite a lot for a rivalry to manufacture. Might see Dogs/Melbourne over the next few years if they're clearly the best top 2 teams, but nowadays players are more chill off the field, the clubs were mingling at a club after the GF.

I don't see how it happens, when we play Sydney Dawson will probably have a nice post game chat with some of the boys regardless what happens on field.

If we can be a clear top 2 team with another team, then it might be the best bet.

There'd need to be a catalyst to form a Rivalry with another team. The Dogs and GWS had the Ward trade, Boyd/Griffen trade leading into a few on field incidents (Shiel KO'd in the 16' prelim, Bont hit on Haynes in 19'). They even trolled them bidding on Darcy instead of Daicos. The 16 prelim was also rated ahead of the 89 GF as the best game ever on fox. It seems to take quite a lot for a rivalry to manufacture. Might see Dogs/Melbourne over the next few years if they're clearly the best top 2 teams, but nowadays players are more chill off the field, the clubs were mingling at a club after the GF.

I don't see how it happens, when we play Sydney Dawson will probably have a nice post game chat with some of the boys regardless what happens on field.

If we can be a clear top 2 team with another team, then it might be the best bet.

Crows/Cats had Dangerfield changing clubs before both sides being top 4/premiership contenders in 2016 and 2017.

Shame the Crows fell away after 2017 because had they remained top 4/premiership contender like we have then I reckon our two clubs could have built a strong rivalry.

Same thing with Hawthorn and Geelong playing on Easter Monday. Geelong after 2008 won about 3 million games in a row against Hawthorn but somehow they were all compelling viewing.

Disagree with this one. This was a legit rivalry for a good 8 years. During the 8 years Geelong won 3 flags and Hawthorn won 3 flags.

From 2007 - 2014 they played each other 18 times. 4 of those times were finals. 11 of the 14 regular season games in that period were decided by under 2 goals.

For the neutral - these games were extremely compelling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back