Adelaide's Coaching Panel - your opinion?

Remove this Banner Ad

macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
I'm interested to see what Crows supporters think of Adelaide's current coaching panel. I'm sure that the responses now are different to what they would have been at the end of the 2000 season, but that's footy. The same would have applied to the Power and many other football clubs.

For what it's worth, here's mine:

Gary Ayres

- drove me insane in 2000 with his unimaginative team selections, team placements, and a reaction time to making changes that was so slow, that the game was lost by the time the changes were made. I've forgiven him that year because I'm convinced that there was an over reliance on that dullard Daryl Hart, who I rate as a shocking coach and judge.

Since Hart's departure, Adelaide has been transformed into an honest footy team, rather than a bunch of pretenders, thanks to the terrific work ethic that Gary has installed in the players, which is undoubtedly Gary's greatest contribution - there's no room for softies, and he's worked most of them out of the club. He has also learnt how to use the ability at his disposal much better than he originally did. Some of his planning and preparation last year to beat an opponent was brilliant, but on other occasions misfired badly (eg short midfielders lining up on Koutafides, usage of the huddle etc)

Very solid, very honest. Capable of coaching a premiership team with the right support team to cover for any weak areas.

Neil Craig

As has been said elsewhere, the brainstrust and heart and soul of the Adelaide hierarchy. It's his brains combined with Ayres' work ethic that makes winning the holy grail possible. Should be contracted for life!! The magic ingredient of the coaching team.

Peter Curran

To some degree, another Gary Ayres clone. Very solid, very dependable, same emphasis on work ethic etc, which considering they both played in the same successful sides together at Hawthorn is not surprising.

Mark Mickan

Apart from an obvious liking for players from the local Eagles (my team :) ) Mark appears to be managing the ruck area well, and the ruck strategies do vary depending upon who we are playing . Both ruckmen work well to our centre bounce and scrimmages takeaways and clearances.

Darren Jarman

Skills coach extraordinaire - mister silky himself!! Adelaide's goal-kicking percentage went from exactly 50% in 2001 to a little over 60% in 2002 - his first year in this role. Since he's stopped playing there's more of Jars to love too!! :D

Stephen Schwerdt

Doing an excellent job not just in terms of overall fitness demands which have increased due to the highly physical game the Crows now play, but in individual player management with different programs for each player. Reflected in the decrease in recent years in the number of soft tissue injuries.

Overall

A very dedicated, committed team who work together well, and have done most things right, but would lack some degree of imagination without the presence of Neil Craig - but we do have Neil Craig!! :D.

That's a pretty fair assessment of the coaching panel macca but a couple of points i would like to make are,

I believe Gary Ayres was behind the 8 ball right from the moment he was appointed coach as he was following in the footsteps once again of Malcolm Blight & Blighty did him no favours by making that statement " he has left him a side capable of winning another flag in 2000" maybe we should just let that year rest in obscurity along with the Shaw years as since then Ayesy has stamped his own style & philosophy on the side which has responded well so far,

Pretty fair assesment of our coaching staff. I like noddy slightly disagree with you in regards to Ayersy in 2000.

I might be wrong here but I really think that it was the transition period between coaches. 2000 was the year in which Ayers introduced his style of play. If you remember we also had a list with a lot of young kids and as a result we played more of a defensive style of play with a lot of heavy tagging. We continued this until mid 2001. I personally believe that this was abig steep learning curve.The players became more experienced and more acountable for their man. This is evident in the way we played footy in 2002. Every player had to play on his man and be effective. Ayersy doesn't like loose men on the field.

I also think his tendancy to make changes once the opposition has really killed us, has partly to do with our depth at the time. It was also his way of saying that he has confidence in his player cos he stuck with them even when their opponent was having a field day. He was believing in his players. I also think that injuries and lack of depth were the reason for poor years.

I personally believe that Ayersy has improved in every year he has been a coach of Adelaide as has the team (12 th (2000) to 8th (2001) to 4th (2002)). At the moment we can only hope for an improvement to 1st :D

Cheers ;) :D

Noddy and Stiffy, you two are probably right that 2000 was a year best to be forgotten because it was both a transition year from 1 coach to another and 1 playing style to another, plus having to weed out a fair few softies left behind in a depleted list after a disastrous 1999. Just to finish on that, my real point was that it looked like he over-relied on Daryl Hart, and got some pretty bum advice from someone I regard as a pretty bum coach.

Stiffy, your point is well made that not only have Adelaide's position on the ladder improved year by year, but so has Ayresy's coaching as he builds up his own squad and a real understanding of each player's capabilities, plus getting them to play his brand of truly accountable football.

I think that overall, after a shaky first year, he has done a great job in transforming the crows into a hard desperate unit playing attractive but accountable footy from the softies that they were in 1999 with a seemingly non-existent game plan.

Ayresy has improved us by 4 rungs of the premiership ladder at the end of September in each of the last 2 years. Looks like only 3 rungs this year!! :D

That was well summed up as usual Macca. I think the important thing is that we have an ecelectic group of coaches who all bring different strengths to the development of the side (& no doubt Craig is a key with fitness being critical). I suppose what I like most about how the side has developed is that Ayres has added a toughness & accountability, but also combined it with our attacking style of play that we all love to see (although he did lose this a little in 2000). Further Ayres & Co have developed the youngers to blend in nicely with our mid-range players which was so important after we lost some key premiership players. The future looks bright. Carey should just add the cream to the cake.

Well to start with his has a top class first name!!;)
He is a Victorian but I can live with that.:rolleyes:

I reckon hes done a terrific job at Adelaide and expect he hasnt finished yet. If he doesnt get a flag by the end of this contract he may want to step down....even though we want to keep him.

Imagine playing second fiddle to Blight.
Imagine taking over a team while the two Cups are still gleaming in the cabinet.
Imagine getting off to a zip 5 start and being Victorian!!

Hes come a long way from then and just like his playing style we are playing accountable, disciplined football according to HIS gameplan.

I too thought some of the moves " he shouldve made" were questionable last season but his record speaks for itself so Im happy to pull me head in.

As for the other guys, I respect Craig and Schwerdt for what they have done and I guess the others have done thier bit.

Just on the 2000 season; with Rehn and Marsh recovering from Knees and Matty Clarke a big disappointment we were always gonna struggle. Other injuries didnt help.

Good Luck to the coaching staff overall they deserve a flag ...lets hope its within 2 years...nah make that one

:D

You are being way too harsh on Darel Hart for some reason. You can't blame Hart for 2000. It was always going to be hard with a new coach,the depleted playing list and (as has been shown since) egos in the playing list. Also our 'star' recruits of that year Welsh and Clarke were as useless as balls on a priest(thank God they have found form since). Once Fud got injured it was all over.

Back to the present - I think Gary has given the team a certain brand of toughness and I like where he is taking us. We play a good brand of team footy and have faith in one another.

Originally posted by Leaping Lindner
Also our 'star' recruits of that year Welsh and Clarke were as useless as balls on a priest(thank God they have found form since).
As I recall, Clarke had a degree to complete so he didn't play much. But I thought Welshy was a very handy pick up that season. As for your analogy... well there's probably no need to pick at the errors in it.

Originally posted by DaveW
As I recall, Clarke had a degree to complete so he didn't play much. But I thought Welshy was a very handy pick up that season. As for your analogy... well there's probably no need to pick at the errors in it.

I am aware that Doc had a degree to complete which would go someway to explaining his loss in form that season.
No question that Welsh has proved to be a very handy pickup and his form last season prior to his injury was outstanding but he was rubbish in 2000, and I'll stand by that.

What is wrong with the analogy???:D

Originally posted by Leaping Lindner

No question that Welsh has proved to be a very handy pickup and his form last season prior to his injury was outstanding but he was rubbish in 2000, and I'll stand by that.

What is wrong with the analogy???:D

I reckon he was good in 2000. He kicked 47 goals in his first year at the Crows (2000) to finish second to Darren Jarman (48 goals) as the leading goal kicker. I would say his 2001 for was disappointing:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back