Adelaide's decision to not trade Patrick Dangerfield in 2014 - was this a mistake?

Remove this Banner Ad

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
It's well known that Melbourne offered picks 2 and 3 to Adelaide for Patrick Dangerfield in the 2014 trade period, only for Adelaide to reject the deal.

Everyone knew that Dangerfield was going home to Victoria, and when he left Adelaide in 2015, they received picks 9 and 28 along with Dean Gore, for Dangerfield and pick 50.

Melbourne ended up drafting Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw with their picks in 2014. Petracca looks like he'll be a star and Brayshaw looks promising.

Adelaide on the other hand ended up turning their picks from the Dangerfield deal into Wayne Milera and Troy Menzel. Milera looks flaky and has question marks over whether he'll make it, while Menzel and Gore have been delisted.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but it looks like Adelaide screwed up badly by not accepting Melbourne's offer of picks 2 and 3.

Would of Danger gone to Melbourne? If so yeah in hindsight probably should've traded him. But they made finals, wanted to have a crack at a flag, needed their best 22 so figured may as well get a year out of him and try and convince him to stay.

Could argue those that did cut losses: Should GWS have traded Boyd? etc worked.

That Danger was soon entering free agency makes the decision not to trade even more regrettable.

Not paying the price in 2016 for Gibbs would worry more more as a Crow supporter.

Adelaide's recruiters at the draft have been outstanding in recent times; so the wasted picks in the 2015 draft were bound to happen sometime.

Danger was only ever going to go to Geelong, save for somehow relocating Mogg's Creek, Danger never would have agreed to any other deal. Adelaide got way unders for him because of their hand was so weak for this reason.

Exactly. Got to love it how we didn't get 2 x first for him because 'Geelong needs the other 1st to give to Carlton for Henderson'. Like somehow it's our problem you're eyes are too big for your wallet. But of course we caved like chumps anyway.
Given what we receive for him essentially nothing (barring a drastic form turn around from Milera) I would have preferred we sent Danger to the Rookie draft and watch him rack it up in a bottom 4 side for a year.

2016 for Gibbs would worry more more as a Crow supporter.

We lost by what 40 points? Gibbs makes us a lot better but that's a bridge too far.

That Danger was soon entering free agency makes the decision not to trade even more regrettable.

Not paying the price in 2016 for Gibbs would worry more more as a Crow supporter.

Adelaide's recruiters at the draft have been outstanding in recent times; so the wasted picks in the 2015 draft were bound to happen sometime.

We're writing off players from the 2015 2 seasons in now?

We're writing off players from the 2015 2 seasons in now?

based upon the opinions of Adelaide supporters... 2 are delisted, 1 is described a flaky.

I was a big fan of Milerra when he was recruited and was wondering about what had happened to him.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but it looks like Adelaide screwed up badly by not accepting Melbourne's offer of picks 2 and 3.

and that why they made the grand final last year, they screwed up so badly

Petracca would have been the perfect replacement for Dangerfield, and he's the exact type of player that Adelaide were lacking on grand final day.
A fully fit Petracca and Brayshaw could have helped but the reality is they are both still developing and Adelaide were terrible on the day.

All things considered they did ok out of the trade when you consider what they might have been given under free agency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't recall it being well known we offered 2 and 3 for Dangerfield anyway. Would have been a good deal for us but BigFooty rumour at best.
Yes I agree. I don’t think that actually was legitimate. Paul Roos would’ve been pretty keen to use the picks. In hindsight, it wouldn’t have been a good deal for us.

If the deal was on the cards then Adelaide should’ve done it, but Dangerfield was always wanting Geelong so I don’t know it would’ve eventuated.

Doesn’t tally with what Roos would have done. His list management centred on building a core young spine through the draft and getting games into them before handing a strong list over to Goodwin. The only players he traded in were Daniel Cross (DFA and one of the best pickups the club made in the past decade for his cultural and sports science work), Bernie Vince (upgrade on DH Sylvia) and Heritier. None of them were marquee signings but proven players brought in to fill positional and cultural holes in the list. We went deep in the draft and unearthed some excellent and promising young players further down the draft in Omac, Alex Neal Bullen and Jayden Hunt. I think the Dangerfield thing was a farrago from the get go.

I don't recall it being well known we offered 2 and 3 for Dangerfield anyway. Would have been a good deal for us but BigFooty rumour at best.

It wasn’t well known and I’m bloody sure it didn’t happen. Danger let the club know months in advance he wanted to go home and play for Geelong (his childhood team). The club didn’t want another drawn out issue like with Tippett and were always grateful for years of hard work Danger put in. The club and Geelong organised Danger’s move to Geelong months before the trade period.

We were always going to get steak knives for him as the free agency system is stuffed. Both clubs wanted the deal done early as we both had other trades to do and we got what we could for him. Should’ve we been a bit smarter with what we were asking? Probably.

But this BS that Danger was ever going to go anywhere but Geelong is a troll by the OP who not surprisingly is a Richmond supporter.

It's well known that Melbourne offered picks 2 and 3 to Adelaide for Patrick Dangerfield in the 2014 trade period, only for Adelaide to reject the deal.

Everyone knew that Dangerfield was going home to Victoria, and when he left Adelaide in 2015, they received picks 9 and 28 along with Dean Gore, for Dangerfield and pick 50.

Melbourne ended up drafting Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw with their picks in 2014. Petracca looks like he'll be a star and Brayshaw looks promising.

Adelaide on the other hand ended up turning their picks from the Dangerfield deal into Wayne Milera and Troy Menzel. Milera looks flaky and has question marks over whether he'll make it, while Menzel and Gore have been delisted.

I suspected Richmond supporters were clueless and now you’ve just confirmed it beyond a shadow of a doubt for me.

I suspected Richmond supporters were clueless and now you’ve just confirmed it beyond a shadow of a doubt for me.

Gee whiz mate, you might need to get that chip on your shoulder checked out.

I'm a Richmond supporter and I am happy to leave this here:

Danger was only ever going to go to Geelong, save for somehow relocating Mogg's Creek, Danger never would have agreed to any other deal. Adelaide got way unders for him because of their hand was so weak for this reason.

Everything in this thread is nonsense.

1. Melbourne didn't offer 2 and 3

2. Danger would never go to that rabble

3. Petracca will still be living at home at 40
Adelaide supporters are the best part of BigFooty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back