Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingy actually put it on the agenda on SEN late last year that 2023 might have been the Crows at their peak before Tex, Laird, Smith and Sloane dropped away and they went backwards.

This would be the big fear for Crows fans.

I doubt anyone predicted their season to start like this. Crows looked finals bound after last season, but progression isn't always linear.
They lost their first home game last year (to Richmond), and won one game away from Adelaide Oval until rd 24, so it looks pretty much the same as last year.

Always good to see an old thread I used to post in get bumped, I sure hope I didn't say anything a few years ago that I'll regre ...
Soldo is shite, O'Brien would run rings around him.
Oops.

Kingy actually put it on the agenda on SEN late last year that 2023 might have been the Crows at their peak before Tex, Laird, Smith and Sloane dropped away and they went backwards.

Tex kicked 70 last year , this year with no preseason he is struggling. Hard to replicate at the best of times at his age.

A few other players are down on form, or injured plus they are carrying their bottom 4 to 6 players. Not too surprising. Similar to us last year, when old players drop off but young players are not ready to step up.

McGovern wanted out during 2017, but that’s a nice attempt at goal shifting from the least trustworthy player manager since Nixon. Even Richmond supporters are defending the Crows on Twitter, Colin Young is a grub of a bloke and loves a cheap headline.

Gov signed for less on the proviso that if Lever left, his contract would be renegotiated up to whatever he’s on at Carlton now. His form and fitness tapered (does this sound familiar Carlton fans?) and so we pulled that offer. He cracked the shits and left.
You don't have to remind Freo supporters about Colin young.

Dockers made finals in 2022.

Lobb, Logue, Tucker, acres and meek were all traded out.

Lobb and Logue left Freo for the 💰 money despite being from WA.

And yes Colin Young is their manager.

Tex kicked 70 last year , this year with no preseason he is struggling. Hard to replicate at the best of times at his age.

A few other players are down on form, or injured plus they are carrying their bottom 4 to 6 players. Not too surprising. Similar to us last year, when old players drop off but young players are not ready to step up.
Tex did all of pre season, the back spasm happened after our last trial game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt anyone predicted their season to start like this. Crows looked finals bound after last season, but progression isn't always linear.
Their youth are going backwards. Raechele, soniglio and McHenry should be dominating but the experienced heads are dominating on their own. Is this coaching, development or both. Oh and Rankine, milera Development is garbage

I remember saying the exact same thing to mate a while back. They played their best footy in 2023 and it may have been a false dawn for them. They are still a few years off imo.

Hindsight being 2020..... not the year though.... Crows could of got some of those mids bolded and Highlighted.

2009 the crows could of got fyfe but got Daniel Talia instead.

In 2011, Crows could of chosen Lachie Neale but even then, No one knew Neale would be a bolter.

In 2016 crows got Jordan Gallucci. Port got Sam Powell Pepper and Willem Drew after Gallucci. Will Hayward, a North Adelaide product was pick 21.

Port did well in that 2018 draft getting Zac Butters and Xavier Duursma. Dockers chose sam Sturt at pick 18, Xavier Duursma went literally the next pick.

Crows had pick 6 in 2019, chose Fisher McAsey. Dockers used picks 7 and 8 on hayden young and Caleb Serong.

-Fyfe
  • Neale
  • Sam Powell Pepper or Drew or Hayward
  • Hayden Young or Caleb Serong

1 good mid each year taken would of improved the crows list gradually.

pick any 3 or 4 mids on that list, crows would easily made finals in 2023.

Can do that with any club. If North had nailed all their picks we’d be looking at going for 4 in a row this year

Edit: flags, not wins :$

Last edited:

It’s hilarious how many clubs will willingly sacrifice performance to look after a favourite son/boys club member.

In what way, other than the fact he was their best player 25 years ago, is Ricciuto so qualified to be their football director?

No different to North and having Archer & Stevens make huge decisions. So I’m quite happy that my rocks will smash some glass houses.

Brisbane & Voss. Pies & Bucks. Essendon & Hird. The first 2 were not ready at the time, and Voss is a much better coach once he had reasonable experience. Crazy!

Crows & Ricciuto, Crows & Burton.

Clearly Adelaide have a problem with hiring the old firm. Ricciuto is a huge part of that culture. I don’t think they see real success with him at the helm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back