Adelaide's record against Geelong away from SA

Remove this Banner Ad

GMHBA is a cheat ground that no other team is used to due to both the dimensions and the wind getting in due to the low roofs (or whatever you call it) for the crowd. If every team played away games there vs Geelong they would lose almost every time as well due to these reasons. Every other teams home ground is actually a proper stadium.
Gold coast stadium? Gws stadium? The games in tasmania? geelongs stadium is far bigger then all of these. You didnt think this through at all.

ps. All clubs train on outside grounds every week.

Obviously it's not impossible, but the results provide evidence that it's a extremely difficult ground to win at. It's not only Adelaide, it's basically every team (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions)

The results provide evidence that like most sides with a 60+ per cent win record AWAY over the last 16 seasons, we are next to impossible to beat at home.

Id love someone to put up the dimesions of KP and Subiaco oval- seeing your a West Coast supporter

I would have thought that there wasnt that much difference between both of them - long and skinny

Subiaco was a whopping 7 metres wider and 5 metres longer.

No wonder the eagles were finals regulars for so long. Cheats.

It's just total bullshit Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn never have to play down there. For both Geelong and the competition as a whole it's just a total compromise of equality for the sake of money.
Why do these teams (Hawthorn excl.) never have to travel down to Tassie either? Kissed on the ******* dick every year and its honestly about time the other clubs started speaking out on this and asking why they continually get these advantages no one else gets

Last edited:
Would have been a lot less if we weren't ****ed over by your Umpires on numerous occasions. Notably the Dixon play on. Though there were others.
Oh man thanks for reminding me of Dixon's play on call. My port supporting wife was with me at that game and she is still fuming. I'll bring it up later today and see what happens

The results provide evidence that like most sides with a 60+ per cent win record AWAY over the last 16 seasons, we are next to impossible to beat at home.
This is the most important stat of ALL PhatBoy, top sides win away from home PERIOD, the best premiership sides ALL have a great away records during their time at the top and then not surprisingly virtually win all of their home games. Geelong has a been a leading final contender for many years now and many in the football world attribute that to our home ground advantage but conveniently forget to mention that we have had the best away record during this period of time also.

It's just total bullshit Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn never have to play down there. For both Geelong and the competition as a whole it's just a total compromise of equality for the sake of money.
Why do these teams (Hawthorn excl.) never have to travel down to Tassie either? Kissed on the ******* dick every year and its honestly about time the other clubs started speaking out on this and asking why they continually get these advantages no one else gets
Every year, every Vic club begs the AFL for a home game v Collingwood at the MCG. Not our fault we're so popular.

3 wins 20 losses.
Win percentage = 13%.
Last win - 2003.
Current streak - 13 losses.

2003 was the last time Adelaide beat Geelong away from SA, and their average losing margin against Geelong in games away from SA since then is 30 points.

This is one of the biggest hoodoos in footy, and if you're a punter looking to load up on a sure thing, the first thing you'd be looking for when the AFL releases the fixture is to see whether or not Adelaide are playing Geelong away from SA.

Gary Ayres was coaching Adelaide and Patrick Dangerfield was in year 7 at Oberon High School when Adelaide last beat Geelong away from SA, that's how long it's been.

Also,

Geelong were in a 40 year premiership drought.
Sydney were in a 70 year premiership drought.
Port Adelaide were yet to win an AFL premiership.
Nick Daicos was 5 months old.

Fremantle have had no issues beating Geelong away from WA, having done so multiple times over the past decade, so why do Adelaide struggle so much against Geelong outside of SA?
reckon Crows win yesterday though, without Hocking's exclusion-zone rule changes, like, if played pre-2021 rules. Crows did very well.

Every year, every Vic club begs the AFL for a home game v Collingwood at the MCG. Not our fault we're so popular.
Given Geelong have to play Collingwood in finals most years it helps to get a practice run or two at the G anyway. It's always preferred to play the better Victorian AFL sides there to get ready for those away finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Geelong have to play Collingwood in finals most years it helps to get a practice run or two at the G anyway. It's always preferred to play the better Victorian AFL sides there to get ready for those away finals.
Agree with assessment Mr Meow, more games at MCG against good sides can only benefit, the only down-side is if we lost MCG games against a good MCG club that we may have won at home, therefore cost us a top 4 or top 8 position on ladder, then that can be seen as a counter argument but it also suggests that if that was to happen, then we more than likely wouldn't be good enough to win a MCG final game against them anyway.

PS - Alas.... after having said all that Mr Meow, my preference is for Cats to play ALL their home games at Kardinia Park once our new grandstand is fully completed for 2024 as it will be 'bloody awesome' for all the members!

Agree with assessment Mr Meow, more games at MCG against good sides can only benefit, the only down-side is if we lost MCG games against a good MCG club that we may have won at home, therefore cost us a top 4 or top 8 position on ladder, then that can be seen as a counter argument but it also suggests that if that was to happen, then we more than likely wouldn't be good enough to win a MCG final game against them anyway.

PS - Alas.... after having said all that Mr Meow, my preference is for Cats to play ALL their home games at Kardinia Park once our new grandstand is fully completed for 2024 as it will be 'bloody awesome' for all the members!
Yep all of the above is spot on. Certainly would've been nice to have a game at home between round 1 and 3 while we were not at our best. As long as the away MCG games against the relevant teams are locked in, it's fine to have one at GMHBA (i.e when we "double up").

Richmond will be back there soon enough, same for Hawthorn. Collingwood will find a way to stay out.

Yup, absolutely love playing well during the year, getting 1st or 2nd on the ladder, "earning" a home final and then our "reward" is to play these teams on their home deck as our finals game where they have the advantage.

Not to mention the bullshit during the year where we play at the G and that counts as our "home" game against them.

Absolute bullshit.

Yup, absolutely love playing well during the year, getting 1st or 2nd on the ladder, "earning" a home final and then our "reward" is to play these teams on their home deck as our finals game where they have the advantage.

Not to mention the bullshit during the year where we play at the G and that counts as our "home" game against them.

Absolute bullshit.

I was always under the impression that the Cats were happy to play those H&A games at the MCG because of the increased revenue from the extra 20-40k in attendance.

Someone please point me to an article correcting me if I’m wrong.

I was always under the impression that the Cats were happy to play those H&A games at the MCG because of the increased revenue from the extra 20-40k in attendance.

Someone please point me to an article correcting me if I’m wrong.

We request 11 home games at KP every year as our first preference. We just never get it so we accept it and embrace it (the club). The exception to this would be for Easter Monday game.

Will this change when the new stadium is ready with 40K capacity?

Surely there is no excuse for all clubs to play away games at the Cattery once they have decent capacity.

Will this change when the new stadium is ready with 40K capacity?

Surely there is no excuse for all clubs to play away games at the Cattery once they have decent capacity.

YES should be the answer Kane -

PRE 2024.... Geelong home game at 'G' - 80K crowd equates 50k Collingwood supporters and 30k Geelong supporters and it's supposably OUR home game.

WHEN we have new grand stand completed 2024 with a 40k capacity, we'll be expected to play ALL our home games at GMHBA (Kardinia Park).

Geelong home game at GMHBA (Kardinia Park) as from 2024 and onwards - 40k crowd equates 10k Collingwood supporters and 30k Geelong supporters.

AND we make more money at GMHBA (Kardinia Park) with 40k than 80k at MCG, the only people that miss out are Collingwood supporters and guess what.... it's OUR HOME GAME, so all should be fair in love and war!

Last edited:

You want to play the big teams at the G. Agreed.

YES should be the answer Kane -

PRE 2024.... Geelong home game at 'G' - 80K crowd equates 50k Collingwood supporters and 30k Geelong supporters and it's supposably OUR home game.

WHEN we have new grand stand completed 2024 with a 40k capacity, we'll be expected to play ALL our home games at GMHBA (Kardinia Park).

Geelong home game at GMHBA (Kardinia Park) as from 2024 and onwards - 40k crowd equates 10k Collingwood supporters and 30k Geelong supporters.

AND we make more money at GMHBA (Kardinia Park) with 40k than 80k at MCG, the only people that miss out are Collingwood supporters and guess what it's OUR HOME GAME, so all should be fair in love and war!

and you wonder why saints would love to have Moorabbin oval done up into a 30-35,000 seat stadium. Or even Carlton to play the occasional game at Princes park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back