Adem Yze - Richmond coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing ability has little correlation to coaching ability.

True, and I strongly believe that this is very important to remember as too often only the best AFL players even get a shot to become assistant coaches which is really stupid since playing ability and coaching ability are two very different things. The best potential coach in AFL history could be some player who only played 3 games in his career, can't kick to save his life and is outmuscled by everyone but because they were not a good player they will never get a shot at being an assistant coach even if they would be very very good at it.

Soccer does it better as most of their top coaches were average players at best. The AFL needs to do better at identifying coaching talent beyond "well they were a very good player, they will be a good coach"

True, and I strongly believe that this is very important to remember as too often only the best AFL players even get a shot to become assistant coaches which is really stupid since playing ability and coaching ability are two very different things. The best potential coach in AFL history could be some player who only played 3 games in his career, can't kick to save his life and is outmuscled by everyone but because they were not a good player they will never get a shot at being an assistant coach even if they would be very very good at it.

Soccer does it better as most of their top coaches were average players at best. The AFL needs to do better at identifying coaching talent beyond "well they were a very good player, they will be a good coach"
I am pretty sure the of the 5 or so players to win a flag as a coach without winning one as a player (since the AFL 1990), Clarko is the only one with multiple flags

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has never sounded inspiring or interesting to me. Had heard he was shifted sideways at Hawthorn and when he left for the Dees that the club "wasn't exactly upset to lose him".

Seems to have been a popular 'next to be a senior coach' by association(Clarkson, Goodwin).

Won't be at all surprised if this appointment is a fail.

Playing ability has little correlation to coaching ability.

Whilst that's true, Yze was no dud. He finished 3rd in the Brownlow one year and top 12 two other times.

He averaged over 20 touches (in an era of fewer possessions) and a goal a game over several seasons. Kicked nearly 250 goals as a non permanent forward by the end.

Not a superstar but could definately play.

I'm glad Yze has finally broken through to a senior coaching role, since his name kept coming up but he always missed out. Good luck to him. And while Richmond are a team on the down slope of the cycle, I'd rather coach them than a club destined for perpetual failure like Gold Coast.

I find it does.

I feel players who were naturally very talented never seem to be as good of a coach as someone who had to hustle 100% to get there.
Mr Blight.
Mr Matthews
Mr Barrassi
Mr Parkin
Mr Sheedy
Mr Jezza

All bum players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back