MMA-UFC Adesanya on board they hype train or not ?

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
OK i have mixed feelings about this bloke, when I saw him at Perth on his debut was impressed and he has impressed me so far.... However there is a few things that just dont sit right atm. Think he has got lucky with his match making up until now and find him in a situation where I think Romero and Souza both give him major Problems, Rob will too but we yet to see how he is going to come back have seen him since that last brutal fight. A bit like conner was matched against strikers had mendes on a weeks notice but intersted to see how that played out if it was a full camp.

I dont like his smack talk this twitter war with jones is ridiculous. whats your take

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
He definitely had an easy run coming into this title fight, but Kelvin was a top opponent and he was fighting for an interim, which is not the full thing anyway.

The hype is real, his reach at this weight class makes him such a challenge.

I can’t blame anyone for trash talking, it’s part of the game.

He definitely had an easy run coming into this title fight, but Kelvin was a top opponent and he was fighting for an interim, which is not the full thing anyway.

The hype is real, his reach at this weight class makes him such a challenge.

I can’t blame anyone for trash talking, it’s part of the game.
If he lets Rob hit him with a few of the hits Gastelum caught him with, it is good night Adesanya

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
I’m on board after the gast fight. Scotty can you explain interim belts ? I don’t get it . Sorry bit off topic .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
once upon time if a fighter was long term injured or couldnt compete for any reason they put a intrim title on the line and the winner would defend that until said fighter was ready then they would unify them. these days well they dont wont to have a PPV without at least one belt on the line so they put an intrim up but we have seen more and more not get unified and now we just got people all running around thinking they are the champ lol.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
once upon time if a fighter was long term injured or couldnt compete for any reason they put a intrim title on the line and the winner would defend that until said fighter was ready then they would unify them. these days well they dont wont to have a PPV without at least one belt on the line so they put an intrim up but we have seen more and more not get unified and now we just got people all running around thinking they are the champ lol.

Ok thnx . Belts flying everywhere..

By the time Khabib fights in September it would have been almost 12 months between fights and by the time Whittaker fights in August/September it would be almost 15 months between fights.

Both interim belts were 100% justified in this case

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
By the time Khabib fights in September it would have been almost 12 months between fights and by the time Whittaker fights in August/September it would be almost 15 months between fights.

Both interim belts were 100% justified in this case

Yep. People complain a lot about interim titles, but there's good things that come out of them. They help keep the divisions moving while champions are laid up and also allow fighters to get paid for being in championship fights that they otherwise wouldn't. Poirier earned a disclosed $250k for the fight which I would imagine would be a good $100K more than he would usually make. That's before PPV points and fight night bonuses are taken in to account too.

Yep. People complain a lot about interim titles, but there's good things that come out of them. They help keep the divisions moving while champions are laid up and also allow fighters to get paid for being in championship fights that they otherwise wouldn't. Poirier earned a disclosed $250k for the fight which I would imagine would be a good $100K more than he would usually make. That's before PPV points and fight night bonuses are taken in to account too.
and I liked Dana Whites explanation that fighters go that little bit harder and leave nothing in the cage when a belt is on the line (even if it is an iterim one)

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
and I liked Dana Whites explanation that fighters go that little bit harder and leave nothing in the cage when a belt is on the line (even if it is an iterim one)
more like PPV buys goup a certain percentage if they think a title is on the line. Casuals dont give a F about intrims they just see championship and buy. Im ok with them but the next fight to make has to be 100% a unification fight. it prob wouldnt be so bad if they weren't handed out left right and centre recently. listen to co main event they kinda put it right context. sorry this has gone off topic

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah I mean this is a weakness in the sport by default. I can see the point re injury/ maximisation of top belt fights , running a billion dollar business etc . If the champ is injured and can’t fight for 12 months. ??? You have to beat the champ to get the belt . I love ufc but this is a dilemma. You can’t have a belt if you won the preliminary final . Just my opinion.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
it was ok for a while but then it became a tool to sell. Im just worried Dustin is going to get swept by connor or Ferg and its prob not right. with the 185 ers we had 3 v 4 for intrim back in the day few years ago would of just been a great co main. if Kelvin won would still be #1 contender if isreal won prob match him agaisnt Romero or Souza for a crack at #1. Times have change im still not against Rogans idea of just scrapping the belts and making great fights

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
more like PPV buys goup a certain percentage if they think a title is on the line. Casuals dont give a F about intrims they just see championship and buy. Im ok with them but the next fight to make has to be 100% a unification fight. it prob wouldnt be so bad if they weren't handed out left right and centre recently. listen to co main event they kinda put it right context. sorry this has gone off topic

Casuals don't buy PPV's. Casuals will stream them or watch at a bar, so I doubt they effect sales as much as you think.

You've pointed out that interims are good for the promotion, I've pointed out they are good for the fighters and the two interim title fights on the weekend were both terrific fights that have set up tantalising title fights in the next few months. Sure, what happened to Ferguson and Covington sucked for them but the vast majority of interim titles have been unified.

In short, I'm not sure why you're so against interim titles as a concept. If there was an interim champ in every weight class I'd agree with you, but there's only 2 currently out of 11 weight classes and both of those have come about because of long layoffs by the current champs.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Now, to try and actually post on topic for a change. I think Israel is a supremely talented fighter and also think he stands a good chance of beating Rob when they fight. His takedown defense has been excellent so far and his offensive BJJ and ability to scramble looked quite impressive against KG.

He's still green as a mixed martial artist though and I think his undoing would come against one of the elite wrestlers at 185 (Romero and Weidman are the two that spring to mind). Hell, he's only a few fights removed from a split decision win over Vettori who looks like a middling talent. He got controlled for long portions of that fight and the decision could have definitely gone the other way.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Casuals don't buy PPV's. Casuals will stream them or watch at a bar, so I doubt they effect sales as much as you think.

You've pointed out that interims are good for the promotion, I've pointed out they are good for the fighters and the two interim title fights on the weekend were both terrific fights that have set up tantalising title fights in the next few months. Sure, what happened to Ferguson and Covington sucked for them but the vast majority of interim titles have been unified.

In short, I'm not sure why you're so against interim titles as a concept. If there was an interim champ in every weight class I'd agree with you, but there's only 2 currently out of 11 weight classes and both of those have come about because of long layoffs by the current champs.
maybe in Australia, think well I always thought it was well known the regulars make up the bottom line of ppv buys, we will watch anything no matter what but the casuals are the ones that make the ppv a success or not

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
maybe in Australia, think well I always thought it was well known the regulars make up the bottom line of ppv buys, we will watch anything no matter what but the casuals are the ones that make the ppv a success or not

I'd say the casuals would make a bigger difference for a card with Conor or Brock rather than Covington or Adesanya.

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now, to try and actually post on topic for a change. I think Israel is a supremely talented fighter and also think he stands a good chance of beating Rob when they fight. His takedown defense has been excellent so far and his offensive BJJ and ability to scramble looked quite impressive against KG.

He's still green as a mixed martial artist though and I think his undoing would come against one of the elite wrestlers at 185 (Romero and Weidman are the two that spring to mind). Hell, he's only a few fights removed from a split decision win over Vettori who looks like a middling talent. He got controlled for long portions of that fight and the decision could have definitely gone the other way.
I think Rob will take a lot of heart out of Gastelum's performance and should go in favourite. I'm just praying he can get his body back to 100%.

Rob for me, is a much better version of Gastelum. From a physical stand point, he's taller, more athletic, better reach, better cardio (look at how he smoked Gastelum in the TUF running challenge). From a skills perspective, Rob has more variety in his striking and kicking. Probably not as powerful as Gastelum, but still has serious knockout power.

If Rob manages to rock Adesenya, he won't be shooting for the takedown like Kelvin did. He will finish him.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Initially I liked Israel. It's clear he's starting to get a bit of a head on him, which is natural for a young and talented fighter (especially after beating Kelvin). I kinda want to see him get his ass handed to him once to humble him out.

He is 30 odd isn’t he? So not that young.

Dude lost me when he called for Whittaker to be stripped of his belt, while Rob was in hospital having emergency surgery to fix a collapsed bowel, and he kept s**t talking from there.

Once thing trying to talk yourself into a title fight, another to just be a shameless *******. The Jones banter we are now seeing is just a testament of how hard this clown has bought into his own hype. Openly slagging off Australia, and NZ immigrants to this country, while he is a Nigerian refugee positioning himself as a kiwi, while posing with the belt draped in a Nigerian flag. Just a hodgepodge of bullshit, barely masked Mundine style anti white attitude, and the classic combo of being deluded that you are smarter and better than you actually are.

As far as his abilities in the cage....clearly elite technical striking, and movement. But there is no real power there, and he has the body of an 18 year first year draftee.

Someone will starch him, hard, and it will be downhill from there on.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He is 30 odd isn’t he? So not that young.

Dude lost me when he called for Whittaker to be stripped of his belt, while Rob was in hospital having emergency surgery to fix a collapsed bowel, and he kept **** talking from there.

Once thing trying to talk yourself into a title fight, another to just be a shameless *******. The Jones banter we are now seeing is just a testament of how hard this clown has bought into his own hype. Openly slagging off Australia, and NZ immigrants to this country, while he is a Nigerian refugee positioning himself as a kiwi, while posing with the belt draped in a Nigerian flag. Just a hodgepodge of ********, barely masked Mundine style anti white attitude, and the classic combo of being deluded that you are smarter and better than you actually are.

As far as his abilities in the cage....clearly elite technical striking, and movement. But there is no real power there, and he has the body of an 18 year first year draftee.

Someone will starch him, hard, and it will be downhill from there on.
I don't mind Adesanya. I don't think he carried on too much about wanting Rob stripped, i know he did mention it though. But let's face it, Rob has been holding the division up quite a bit. Its obviously out of Rob's hands, but if he was to have to pull out of his next fight, he'll defo get stripped.

This slagging off of immigrants? I haven't seen or heard anything about that.

The banter with Jones is great, imo. Sets up what could be a massive fight at some point.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't mind Adesanya. I don't think he carried on too much about wanting Rob stripped, i know he did mention it though. But let's face it, Rob has been holding the division up quite a bit. Its obviously out of Rob's hands, but if he was to have to pull out of his next fight, he'll defo get stripped.

This slagging off of immigrants? I haven't seen or heard anything about that.

The banter with Jones is great, imo. Sets up what could be a massive fight at some point.

Yeah the comments are fairly light hearted in and of themselves, but because Adesanya is so unlikeable, and so on himself, it’s easy to find them irritating......just been referring to Whittaker as a ‘Mozzie’ meaning a Maori who has betrayed his people and become an Aussie.

Then in an interview with Helwani he revisited the theme, and applied it to all Polynesian immigrants to Australia. Now he is openly bagging Australia on Embedded because our own Volkanovski is training with him at his own dirty, over hyped, little South Auckland gym.

Meanwhile this skinny, big mouth, bum gets around draped in a Nigerian flag, embracing this “African UFC champ” narrative the UFC PR people are trying to push. While he ridicules migrants to other nations.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he's 50/50, similar to a Bisping or Connor re: all the talk. He's trying to sell the fight because Whittaker is so vanilla and boring. He's got his eye on PPV points, but also trying to get a response out of him, get under his skin for the sake of things.

But I still can't stand him.
I've gone from being on the hype train to wanting to see him get KTFO in devastating fashion.

Back