Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016NRL_OriginRatings.png

Crowds down really only because the MCG game last year go such a big crowd. Given he dead rubber and all, a 3% drop in ratings isnt too bad at all. And yes, Ive double checked, the Sydney ratings total for 2016 is identical to the 2015 aggregate figure. Figures for each region wont be known for another week or so.

The State of Origin Rugby League series will be played outside the three Eastern States for the first time, with the NRL signing a multi-million-dollar deal with the Barnett Government for NSW and Queensland to face off in Perth.

Game two of the 2019 three-game State of Origin series will be played at the new Perth Stadium.

The match between the Queensland Maroons and the NSW Blues is arguably Australian sport’s fiercest rivalry.

And in another break with tradition which the government hopes will provide an additional boost to the tourist economy, the match will not be played mid-week but on a weekend.

The hope is that the weekend fixture will both encourage more fans to travel west – and for them to spend an extra night or two in Perth and the South West as part of their trip.

Premier and Tourism Minister Colin Barnett would not go into specifics about how much the government has paid to bring the game to Perth, citing the competitive bidding market for major sporting events, but said it was “several million dollars”.

He said rugby league fans would enjoy one of Australia’s biggest annual sporting events in the nation’s newest and most advanced stadium.

It is the first event to be funded by $19 million set aside in the State Budget for bidding on a pipeline of major events to fill the $1.4 billion stadium.

578775121c400_getimagecontent_7_1boepuq-1boet8i.jpg

“It does not come cheap,” Mr Barnett said.

“But I expect huge numbers of people to come over from other states and we will fill the stadium.”

The Premier predicted the match would be one of the biggest sporting events in WA’s history, rivalling the 1962 Commonwealth Games.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said he expected WA fans to embrace rugby league’s showcase event.

“Taking Origin to new venues has huge benefits for our game. It grows the game in other markets and showcases our premium product to a new audience,” he said.

Apart from a one-off exhibition game in 1987 in Los Angeles – which did not count towards deciding the three-game series which has been contested annually since 1982 – State of Origin has not been played outside Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne.

Melbourne has hosted six of the 108 games played – three at the MCG, two Etihad Stadium, and one at Olympic Park – the most recent of which saw 91,513 pack the ‘G for game two last year.

Thirty-nine thousand people travelled from interstate to that game, and the government believes that if half that many travel to Perth, it will amount to a $15 million injection into the State’s economy.

More than 4.4 million people watched the first State of Origin game on television this year, the largest TV audience in the series’ history, out-rating the AFL Grand Final and the Melbourne Cup.

State of Origin is the first confirmed one-off major event for the stadium, which is due to open ahead of the 2018 AFL season.

Perth Stadium will be configured in rectangle mode for the clash, featuring the installation of “bump-in” seats in front of the regular perimeter and boosting the stadium’s capacity to 65,000 people.

There is speculation the stadium could host Ashes cricket in the summer of 2017-18 if work finishes early enough and soccer is also keen to stage an opening event which could feature the Socceroos and a major international drawcard.

The Government is also believed to be chasing a Bledisloe Cup rugby union Test match, with Tourism officials sizing up the merits of a bid.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/w...g-state-of-origin-to-new-perth-stadium/#page1

Fri STV #NRL #FoxSports #NRLDragonsTitans 152k

Fri STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLFreoCats 271k

Fri TV #NRL #NRLDragonsTitans Nine 312k (Syd 175k Bri 138k) Gem 30k (Mel 19k Ade 4k Per 7k)

Fri TV #AFL #AFLFreoCats Seven 425k (Mel 318k Ade 108k) 7mate 188k (Syd 25k Bri 34k Per 129k)

AFL 884

NRL 494

That is a huge disparity and seems to be a pattern on Friday nights.

Particularly when you rely on capital city numbers, include Perth & Adelaide but exclude the bigger #4 TV market, an NRL stronghold.
Happy to be wrong muncher !!

Particularly when you rely on capital city numbers, include Perth & Adelaide but exclude the bigger #4 TV market, an NRL stronghold.
Happy to be wrong muncher !!

Fox numbers are Australia wide - but anyways it just a observation and an opinion, i think the crowd at St George one of the most famous RL clubs in Australia was 8k - perhaps it was raining, i don't know

When i look at the crowd numbers, membership numbers in Sydney it appears to me that they really don't care much for the game - happy to be wrong.

Fox numbers are Australia wide - but anyways it just a observation and an opinion, i think the crowd at St George one of the most famous RL clubs in Australia was 8k - perhaps it was raining, i don't know

When i look at the crowd numbers, membership numbers in Sydney it appears to me that they really don't care much for the game - happy to be wrong.

& you've lived on the East Coast, yeh, yeh !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sale of an Origin game to WA is a good example of the NRL further monetising this now unique aspect of League, with the AFL having no equivalent.

See the crowd at the dead rubber on Wednesday versus the Thursday night AFL blockbuster.

Excuse me? Pray tell, what was wrong with the crowd on Thursday?

The sale of an Origin game to WA is a good example of the NRL further monetising this now unique aspect of League, with the AFL having no equivalent.

See the crowd at the dead rubber on Wednesday versus the Thursday night AFL blockbuster.

What a load of crap!FFS Origin is a State game with STATE pride on the line flogged to death in the Sydney media and the AFL match was a home and away match with one interstate team involved

BTW when was the last time the NRL got 42,000 to a Storm match in Melbourne?

You and the baying anti AFL crowd on LU cant get your head around the fact that RL is a long way second to the AFL in all aspects Crowds,income, TV,Memberships etc etc
Just keep dreaming that you might reach an ave of 20,000 some time in the future.
Just to make you choke on your weeties Im in Thailand atm and the ABC Australia + network shows only AFL all weekend!

What a load of crap!FFS Origin is a State game with STATE pride on the line flogged to death in the Sydney media and the AFL match was a home and away match with one interstate team involved

BTW when was the last time the NRL got 42,000 to a Storm match in Melbourne?

You and the baying anti AFL crowd on LU cant get your head around the fact that RL is a long way second to the AFL in all aspects Crowds,income, TV,Memberships etc etc
Just keep dreaming that you might reach an ave of 20,000 some time in the future.
Just to make you choke on your weeties Im in Thailand atm and the ABC Australia + network shows only AFL all weekend!

An average of 20,000? tell 'em they're dreamin' !

Fri STV #NRL #FoxSports #NRLDragonsTitans 152k

Fri STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLFreoCats 271k

Fri TV #NRL #NRLDragonsTitans Nine 312k (Syd 175k Bri 138k) Gem 30k (Mel 19k Ade 4k Per 7k)

Fri TV #AFL #AFLFreoCats Seven 425k (Mel 318k Ade 108k) 7mate 188k (Syd 25k Bri 34k Per 129k)

AFL 884

NRL 494

That is a huge disparity and seems to be a pattern on Friday nights.

Those NRL numbers are absolutely pitiful. (The AFL ones aren't great either.)

I agree that there is often a big disparity between the two codes' ratings on Friday nights. It shows up in the Fox numbers, which are national as you point out. No appeal to regionals (even double-counted ones) is going to obscure the obvious.

Even so, I can't remember Friday night NRL ratings that poor.

No wonder Nine prefers to show the broncos on Friday nights.

Those NRL numbers are absolutely pitiful. (The AFL ones aren't great either.)

I agree that there is often a big disparity between the two codes' ratings on Friday nights. It shows up in the Fox numbers, which are national as you point out. No appeal to regionals (even double-counted ones) is going to obscure the obvious.

Even so, I can't remember Friday night NRL ratings that poor.

No wonder Nine prefers to show the broncos on Friday nights.

So what body counts viewers twice in our litigious business community? Misrepresentation is what you are claiming yes/no?

I'm not defending the NRL viewing audience, it was ignoring the #4 market but including #5 & #6 as blatantly partisan or simply gross ignorance as it turned out to be.

Given the AFL has no comparable product to Origin, can you log the viewing numbers of the dead rubber?

Last edited:
Not sure what you are getting at with regard to origin. I wasn't really commenting on that.

If pressed to give an opinion, I'd point out that a downside to origin is that 16 of the last 60 NRL games (from last ten rounds) have had sub-10k crowds. That obviously doesn't mean league should get rid of origin. The NRL clearly believes the upside makes it worthwhile. For the AFL, though, I don't think the benefit of origin would exceed the cost. Different circumstances.

Regarding the regionals:

Lastly, Peiffer was asked why OzTAM does not include Regional audiences with 5 City Metro numbers.

Regional viewers are measured separately by RegionalTAM (owned by Regional broadcasters) and there is some cross-over in some geographic areas.

“Technically there are some math reasons why you can’t do it. But I think we’re heading towards a national panel eventually when the Reach Rules change and consolidation happens in the marketplace.”

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/11/how-robust-is-our-ratings-system.html

The situation does not appear to have changed. It is still invalid to add metro and regional figures.

Just two days ago, there was an article in which Nine was calling for the establishment of a national panel so that national figures could be used rather than five-city ones.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/07/nine-in-push-for-national-ratings.html

I guess a serious question that needs to be asked is does the AFL have anything to counter SOO in RL, Wallabies test matches, the up coming soccer series etc, does it actually need something to counter them ?, is countering them even the right word, the H&A is obviously the main focus and enjoys across the season great crowds and support but does the AFL need something more ?.

I guess a serious question that needs to be asked is does the AFL have anything to counter SOO in RL, Wallabies test matches, the up coming soccer series etc, does it actually need something to counter them ?, is countering them even the right word, the H&A is obviously the main focus and enjoys across the season great crowds and support but does the AFL need something more ?.
Why does it need to? Soo is a state pride thing & the wallabies is a national team!

The majority of the afl clubs supporter base easily out weights all of the NRL, a league and Union club teams, so the larger games like the Anzac day game, the hawk vs cats etc are very large in their own right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back