Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a better explanation is to look at Mandurah in WA (I have no idea if it is double counted). It is clearly Metro, the southern most area of Perth, and any marketing campaign aimed at Perth has to include Mandurah. However it is also clearly regional, almost as close to Bunbury as the centre of Perth, it gets regional Radio, and TV, and has a regional feel and Outlook. If you are targeting the major regional areas of Perth, you have to include it.

The regional customers are looking for Mandurah figures, but so are Metro customers, what to do?

You put them in both.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Don't take this personally but the explanation is your best guess on how something you've heard might exist, might work. I agree with your conclusions.
See the link below to ascertain where Mandurah fits.

Back in 2010 Harold Mitchell sold his media buying company to a UK international group for $363 mil - to me that suggests the double counting, as far as it exists is not material and those spending the money are across it.

Of the various markets as counted, Northern NSW is as big a market as Perth and regional Queensland is bigger than Adelaide - the relevance being those who quote the capital city markets as a measure of TV viewing whilst ignoring the larger regional markets are disingenuous or cheerleaders pumping up their own tyres.

http://www.thinktv.com.au/content_common/pg-2016-ratings-toolkits.seo

Don't take this personally but the explanation is your best guess on how something you've heard might exist, might work. I agree with your conclusions.
See the link below to ascertain where Mandurah fits.

Back in 2010 Harold Mitchell sold his media buying company to a UK international group for $363 mil - to me that suggests the double counting, as far as it exists is not material and those spending the money are across it.

Of the various markets as counted, Northern NSW is as big a market as Perth and regional Queensland is bigger than Adelaide - the relevance being those who quote the capital city markets as a measure of TV viewing whilst ignoring the larger regional markets are disingenuous or cheerleaders pumping up their own tyres.

http://www.thinktv.com.au/content_common/pg-2016-ratings-toolkits.seo

The double counting issue stems in part from the fact that data for regionaltam and oztam are counted separately, so the question is where there is an overlap in regional and metro areas are there both sets of ratings boxes, and if so are they both being counted in national survey results? We understand that theres only likely to be one box per house, but could here be two types of boxes - regional and metro - in the same region? If there are, that would skew the results.

No one has ever been given a definitive answer on this, and some of us have asked.

Further, its not necessarily cheerleading to use an industry standard - most media reporting still only uses the metro data, and national data is typically only used by cheerleaders of another sporting set. As has been explained to you already, Metro and Fox are the only sets of data we get that are fully reported across both codes, so its the only comparison worth using. Its worth noting that national data hasnt been released for about a month from ThinkTV, and so now we arent even getting the regional data for NRL matches.

Re cheerleaders wookie, presenting information & misrepresenting its relevance e.g capital city numbers collated to compare codes.

I collate ALL numbers available - not just metro, regional or fox, including overseas sources where available, and compare it to how the code in question travelled the year before. how people compare the codes is their own business.

I collate ALL numbers available - not just metro, regional or fox, including overseas sources where available, and compare it to how the code in question travelled the year before. how people compare the codes is their own business.

Be sure I am not having a go at your posts, you don't post nonsense even if I don't agree with your conclusions often. :thumbsu:, you do the work :thumbsu:

A 2nd A-League team in Perth drew my interest - certainly the 10k crowds the Glory battle to pull are a small % of the soccer followers in WA.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/32297634/football-west-push-for-second-a-league-licence/#page1

Interesting thinking in the attached article pushing the WA expansion particularly in light of the push by Aussie Rules fans, more particularly Vic AFL club followers who are talking up amalgamations of the 2 x Qld clubs and even the NSW teams, but never 2 x Melb teams.

I can see why a 2nd A-League team in Perth might make sense, it certainly helped soccer in Melbourne.

:$

Pretty difficult to justify given the position of the Glory in the Perth sporting market. Introducing a rival could help with the relevance of the sport in WA, but I don't see it as being a comparable situation to Melbourne.

:$

Pretty difficult to justify given the position of the Glory in the Perth sporting market. Introducing a rival could help with the relevance of the sport in WA, but I don't see it as being a comparable situation to Melbourne.

I was sceptical too based on the crowds the Glory pull, it will be very interesting if it gets off the ground.

A 2nd A-League team in Perth drew my interest - certainly the 10k crowds the Glory battle to pull are a small % of the soccer followers in WA.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/32297634/football-west-push-for-second-a-league-licence/#page1

Interesting thinking in the attached article pushing the WA expansion particularly in light of the push by Aussie Rules fans, more particularly Vic AFL club followers who are talking up amalgamations of the 2 x Qld clubs and even the NSW teams, but never 2 x Melb teams.

I can see why a 2nd A-League team in Perth might make sense, it certainly helped soccer in Melbourne.
They are in a funny position having only ten teams. It seems the league has gone backwards last year and it's also extremely repetitive. If they ever really want to become a major sport you would think they need 3 teams in Sydney and Melbourne and two in Perth and Brisbane. It's hard to imagine anywhere else which could support a team especially if the want to improve the quality of the league which means you need bigger clubs. That would give the 14 team.
The problem that brings is as we have seen in the AFL when you bring in more teams you don't seem to create more good sides just poor ones. This means they could possibly have say 8 bad teams in the comp instead of 5 and the league is just not stronger enough to support that

They are in a funny position having only ten teams. It seems the league has gone backwards last year and it's also extremely repetitive. If they ever really want to become a major sport you would think they need 3 teams in Sydney and Melbourne and two in Perth and Brisbane. It's hard to imagine anywhere else which could support a team especially if the want to improve the quality of the league which means you need bigger clubs. That would give the 14 team.
The problem that brings is as we have seen in the AFL when you bring in more teams you don't seem to create more good sides just poor ones. This means they could possibly have say 8 bad teams in the comp instead of 5 and the league is just not stronger enough to support that

The problem they have is that just about every team is a huge loss maker and introducing more teams would just bring in more teams that will probably have huge funding shortfalls, and the FFA have shown that they have no interest in covering the gap in the long term. So they need private investors prepared to cop it. And it is doubtful that these people exist, at least those with the resources to cover it for more than a couple of years.

18 rounds plus finals and you've got a 22 game competition. Plus AFC if you're team is lucky enough to make it and you've nabbed one of the Visa spots.

The A-league is a minor competition. Its got 10 teams. Including one from NZ which runs contra to AFC/FIFA regulations. It has no promotion/relegation. No self respecting overseas player would seriously consider the A-league as a serious competition to further their careers. Most Socceroos don't play in it. Some have never played in it at all (and never will - e.g. Cahill)..
Welcome tim cahill to the a league.

Otherwise known as the Tim Cahill retirement fund
Aren't all jobs aimed at eventually earning enough and retiring?
Not to mention he still plays for australia, has earnt millions upon millions and doesn't really need to play to survive.
The increase in exposure for the league and melbourne city, ticket sales, merch sales are incentive enough to throw 3 or 4 million at.
But please, do continue to find the negative in having an australian sporting champion back in australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention he still plays for australia, has earnt millions upon millions and doesn't really need to play to survive.
The increase in exposure for the league and melbourne city, ticket sales, merch sales are incentive enough to throw 3 or 4 million at.
But please, do continue to find the negative in having an australian sporting champion back in australia.
I am not saying it is a negative, I am saying it is not the positive it is made out to be. I am saying he is 36, soon to be 37. Many AFL players when past being able to cut it in the top league, go back to state leagues or bush leagues either because they do not want to give up footy entirely, or because they want to earn a bit of pocket money. Good for the bush league clubs, they have a name to attract crowds and sponsorship, player gets to keep playing for some cash in a not to competitive league. This, is exactly that. Well known somewhat past it player signed up to a bush league to drum up crowds and sponsorship.

I am not saying it is a negative, I am saying it is not the positive it is made out to be. I am saying he is 36, soon to be 37. Many AFL players when past being able to cut it in the top league, go back to state leagues or bush leagues either because they do not want to give up footy entirely, or because they want to earn a bit of pocket money. Good for the bush league clubs, they have a name to attract crowds and sponsorship, player gets to keep playing for some cash in a not to competitive league. This, is exactly that. Well known somewhat past it player signed up to a bush league to drum up crowds and sponsorship.

Itd be like the Blues bring back Fev.

I doubt one ageing player just playing for some easy money at the end of his playing days would cover the investment - remember Harry Kewell anyone?
Melbourne city will be successful because the are owned by Manchester City who can pump millions into MFC and will use them as a breeding ground.

I doubt one ageing player just playing for some easy money at the end of his playing days would cover the investment - remember Harry Kewell anyone?
Melbourne city will be successful because the are owned by Manchester City who can pump millions into MFC and will use them as a breeding ground.

I would have thought Harry was an even bigger name, and he was much younger when he came to the A-League, but barely made a splash to be honest.

Fri TV #AFL #AFLEaglesHawks Seven 472k (Mel 352k Ade 120k) 7mate 208k (Syd 24k Bri 32k Per 152k)

Fri TV #NRL #NRLPanthersTigers Nine 351k (Syd 243k Bri 108k) Gem 26k (Mel 8k Ade 6k Per 11k)

AFL 680k

NRL 377k

That is an absolute flogging, what is even worse for the NRL is the fact that the WCE were shown on 7mate in Perth and would have easily broken 200k on the main station.

I would imagine that going on previous weeks that the same sort of discrepancy will exist in the fox figures as well.

Looking at those figures the NRL need the Broncos on friday every week in Brisbane - which of course they have done in the past.

Fri TV #AFL #AFLEaglesHawks Seven 472k (Mel 352k Ade 120k) 7mate 208k (Syd 24k Bri 32k Per 152k)

Fri TV #NRL #NRLPanthersTigers Nine 351k (Syd 243k Bri 108k) Gem 26k (Mel 8k Ade 6k Per 11k)

AFL 680k

NRL 377k

That is an absolute flogging, what is even worse for the NRL is the fact that the WCE were shown on 7mate in Perth and would have easily broken 200k on the main station.

I would imagine that going on previous weeks that the same sort of discrepancy will exist in the fox figures as well.

Looking at those figures the NRL need the Broncos on friday every week in Brisbane - which of course they have done in the past.
And it's TV ratings that so many of my NRL mates up here pride themselves on when we argue over our preferred sports. In reality though, without the Broncos the NRL would be royally screwed - a suburban Sydney league with a few outsiders with no real influence on the competition.

And it's TV ratings that so many of my NRL mates up here pride themselves on when we argue over our preferred sports. In reality though, without the Broncos the NRL would be royally screwed - a suburban Sydney league with a few outsiders with no real influence on the competition.
news corp do their best to give the broncos as much publicity as well

AFL 680k

NRL 377k

And yes the foxtel figures from friday provide the same story

Fri STV #AFL #AFLEaglesHawks #FoxFooty 288k
Fri STV #NRL PanthersTigers 181k

It has been repeatedly pointed out regional NSW and regional QLD are not single markets. Stop pushing this fiction.

It has been repeatedly pointed out regional NSW and regional QLD are not single markets. Stop pushing this fiction.

De-mythtify the known known that is regional TV - http://www.regionaltam.com.au/?page_id=16#

IF you have any desire to draw conclusions based on FTA viewing WHY would you ignore Australias #4 market based on size but include Perth & Adelaide? Answer: you are challenged cheerleader, thought process deactivated, knees up, knees up, AFL only high kicking left leg know, cheer now ..... I'd guess you'd criticise the Sharks handling of the drugs issue too, a knees up high kicking cheerleader.

Not sure why you'd suggest regional markets are single markets, they are no different to the capital cities markets ... another misrepresentation to serve your needs? No fiction here Bomboy, known knowns, there is even a Toolkit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back