Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
De-mythtify the known known that is regional TV - http://www.regionaltam.com.au/?page_id=16#

IF you have any desire to draw conclusions based on FTA viewing WHY would you ignore Australias #4 market based on size but include Perth & Adelaide? Answer: you are challenged cheerleader, thought process deactivated, knees up, knees up, AFL only high kicking left leg know, cheer now ..... I'd guess you'd criticise the Sharks handling of the drugs issue too, a knees up high kicking cheerleader.

Not sure why you'd suggest regional markets are single markets, they are no different to the capital cities markets ... another misrepresentation to serve your needs? No fiction here Bomboy, known knowns !!

The commercials in Cairns aren't the same in Sunshine Coast you fool.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The commercials in Cairns aren't the same in Sunshine Coast you fool.

So what does the commercials have to do with anything - are you suggesting the commercials in Sydney are the same as Melbourne?
Thanks for clarifying your knowledge & adding to the discussion.
Not many unknown knowns Bomboy.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
So what does the commercials have to do with anything - are you suggesting the commercials in Sydney are the same as Melbourne?

Here comes the clue train. Last stop is you. Sydney and Melbourne (and Brisbane and Perth and Adelaide) are each a single market because everyone in Sydney gets the same programming and commercials, and everyone in Melbourne gets the same programming and commercials. You can't clump together a bunch regional stations, with their own programming and commercials, and pretend it's one.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Different local adds in Cairns compared to Townsville, Mackay and Roma, i think that is what he is getting at.

I am not sure whether that makes a difference, but perhaps it does.

The market is spread over thousands of K's - compared to a metro market which is centralised.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Here comes the clue train. Last stop is you. Sydney and Melbourne (and Brisbane and Perth and Adelaide) are each a single market because everyone in Sydney gets the same programming and commercials, and everyone in Melbourne gets the same programming and commercials. You can't clump together a bunch regional stations, with their own programming and commercials, and pretend it's one.

Why am I suggesting its one market? I've referred you to regional tam, its my reference - are you denying it is a commercial reality, surely not?

Regionals are a part of the picture just as Perth or Adelaide? One of our posters consistently posts the capital cities numbers & accumulates them, AFL & NRL. The conclusion drawn is either deliberately misleading you & your knees up, high kickers of the cheer squad, OR, as I suspect, its devoid of the most basic mental rigour.

Its got squatt to do with commercials, its not as if advertising rates are relevant either, or is that a bridge too far? You might note I refer regularly to the Australian 4th biggest market Northern NSW, not my definition, check it out some time ..... it has 3 segments, it is #4, it is bigger than Perth, it is NRL heartland, & that is why it is relevant, not advertising rates or commercials or news or any other dead end you try to go down.

IF its the TV market that interests you, not the footy ratings, get you molars around this:
https://mumbrella.com.au/oztams-bac...ecedent-does-this-set-for-the-industry-348040

Last edited:

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Why am I suggesting its one market? I've referred you to regional tam, its my reference - are you denying it is a commercial reality, surely not?

The Regional TAM website you keep linking to itself calls them "aggregated" and refers to "component sub-markets"...

So only you are pretending they're single markets.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The Regional TAM website you keep linking to itself calls them "aggregated" and refers to "component sub-markets"...

So only you are pretending they're single markets.

So Northern NSW is not the #4 TV viewing market in terms of footy ratings - it is you know: cut it, dice it, aggregate it, discombobulate as you will, in footy ratings terms its bigger than Perth or Adelaide, & that is the only context I have referred to it & its how viewing habits Australia wide are measured.
Its the accuracy of claims comparing viewing of footy codes that is in question & whether or not there are sub markets appears to be your interest, so go for it, perhaps you should explain why that is relevant , or are you simply seeking to weasel word a point of difference that is as relevant to footy ratings as advertising rates.

Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
Do we think the Derby final can top 50,000? 60,000? With the likelihood of limited NRL games in Sydney that weekend, will neutrals jump on board?

I'll def. be making the journey up from Canberra, and will be bringing a number of friends with me.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do we think the Derby final can top 50,000? 60,000? With the likelihood of limited NRL games in Sydney that weekend, will neutrals jump on board?

I'll def. be making the journey up from Canberra, and will be bringing a number of friends with me.

Have to get 55-60 to actually make it a viable move from the SCG, anything more than that is a bonus.

Weather will play a big part in Sydney

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos

Expecting around 50,000 (I wouldn't be surprised by any figure a few k either side of that).

55k+ would be fantastic.

caMoGFC

Bigfooty Super Elite
Jul 24, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

It was all the talk at work today and a lot of the guys wanted to get a huge group of us going together.
Most have never been to a game before so even though it's a tiny sample size that's pretty good signs imo.

I'm in construction fwiw

kaypee

All Australian
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls
of
Different local adds in Cairns compared to Townsville, Mackay and Roma, i think that is what he is getting at.

I am not sure whether that makes a difference, but perhaps it does.

The market is spread over thousands of K's - compared to a metro market which is centralised.
Of course local ads make a difference. Have you ever watched television in Cairns and Townsville? The local tractor bloke has to make seperate ads for each city - that in itself costs money and reduces the advertising rate.
Mass markets mean mass target audiences. Regionals simply don't meet the criteria

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
of

Of course local ads make a difference. Have you ever watched television in Cairns and Townsville? The local tractor bloke has to make seperate ads for each city - that in itself costs money and reduces the advertising rate.
Mass markets mean mass target audiences. Regionals simply don't meet the criteria

Yes, advertising in prime time is most expensive in Sydney too & that is factored in to what is paid for both codes TV rights. With 3 of the biggest 4 markets in Aus, NRL ...... its why the high rating Origin games are highly valued by TV world.

Ratings are viewers, & a simple measure as such, but that is the criteria in question not the cost of advertising to those viewers.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
You mean you prefer a jigsaw with many pieces missing .... & its presented as complete ... & some believe it .... ah the optix Gil?

You arent being any better here. Theres a reason 5 city ratings are valued - and have always been valued higher than regionals. Hell regional reporting is fairly recent. You know all this and still you carry on .

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You arent being any better here. Theres a reason 5 city ratings are valued - and have always been valued higher than regionals. Hell regional reporting is fairly recent. You know all this and still you carry on .

While people aggregate the capital city ratings & compare codes, I will continue to point out the folly of accepting the flawed conclusion.

2009 is when regional reporting kicked off as I understand & that's recent , :rolleyes: , OK !!

Given your comment: You arent being any better here, is it time for introspection on your part? o_O

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
While people aggregate the capital city ratings & compare codes, I will continue to point out the folly of accepting the flawed conclusion.

2009 is when regional reporting kicked off as I understand & that's recent , :rolleyes: , OK !!

Given your comment: You arent being any better here, is it time for introspection on your part? o_O
Aggregating the city results makes more sense and is more relevant than the regional figures. An aggregate of the cities shows me the city total, and each individual city as a means of comparison, I can compare the total figure, and each individual city over time. I can compare city to city.
The regional figure is a figure for an arbitrary region of the country.

Different parts of this region may have vastly different viewing habits. You do not know how the different parts compare, how they are trending over time.

If you had flat regional numbers for AFL, some areas could be showing good growth for AFL but be masked by weakness elsewhere, you could have minor incremental gains over a wide area masked by heavy losses in 1 or 2 populous areas, it could just be generally flat.

While it does add a bit of info to the debate, in most ways it is a fairly useless stat, far inferior to an aggregate of city results.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Aggregating the city results makes more sense and is more relevant than the regional figures. An aggregate of the cities shows me the city total, and each individual city as a means of comparison, I can compare the total figure, and each individual city over time. I can compare city to city.
The regional figure is a figure for an arbitrary region of the country.

Different parts of this region may have vastly different viewing habits. You do not know how the different parts compare, how they are trending over time.

If you had flat regional numbers for AFL, some areas could be showing good growth for AFL but be masked by weakness elsewhere, you could have minor incremental gains over a wide area masked by heavy losses in 1 or 2 populous areas, it could just be generally flat.

While it does add a bit of info to the debate, in most ways it is a fairly useless stat, far inferior to an aggregate of city results.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Indeed you can compare a city If that's your want - my objection is to comparing apples with pomegranites , ie those viewing AFL compared to NRL yet including only capital cities ignoring the number #4 TV market.

I am not sure why regional areas are arbitrary whilst cities are not (?) - a boundary is a boundary, yes/no?

Be absolutely certain Jatz, ALL viewers are important when media rights bids are put together, all viewers - sure Sydney is the most expensive advertising market, not Cairns or Tassie or ...

Here is a sample report that includes an Origin game, approx. 30% of total viewers were regional ....
http://www.thinktv.com.au/SiteMedia/W3SVC371/Uploads/Documents/Weekly Ratings Report - Week 25 & 26 2016.pdf
Why would you ignore 30% of the viewers?
Perhaps it provides an answer you are looking for !!

Last edited:

1873 United

Team Captain
May 8, 2009
South East Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Indeed you can compare a city If that's your want - my objection is to comparing apples with pomegranites , ie those viewing AFL compared to NRL yet including only capital cities ignoring the number #4 TV market.

I am not sure why regional areas are arbitrary whilst cities are not (?) - a boundary is a boundary, yes/no?

Be absolutely certain Jatz, ALL viewers are important when media rights bids are put together, all viewers - sure Sydney is the most expensive advertising market, not Cairns or Tassie or ...

Here is a sample report that includes an Origin game, approx. 30% of total viewers were regional ....
http://www.thinktv.com.au/SiteMedia/W3SVC371/Uploads/Documents/Weekly Ratings Report - Week 25 & 26 2016.pdf
Why would you ignore 30% of the viewers?
Perhaps it provides an answer you are looking for !!

So Kwality, you won't accept opinion as fact? yet, your opinion should be treated as fact? unless all evidence suggests otherwise, however, even then you'll continue to protest its validity?

Truth be told, the current demographic break down (and ratings) has allowed the AFL to secure more than $2B for the next 6 years, outweighing the NRL's next 5 year income (excluding extra's for SoO and Internationals), this is of some fact. (see annual breakdowns if you need to)

Northern NSW which you argue to be Australia's 3rd largest TV audience has how many corporate HQ's? Second to that point, how many BMW and Mercedes dealerships are located in these regional areas compared to Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth (think rationale, household expenditure)? (I understand if this economic issue is complex)

I don't want to argue semantics, however, you continue to drive a fanciful argument without fact to back your opinion, all the while you question everyone else!

If you love the NRL and its broad fan base, perhaps it might be best if you try posting you grandstanding opinions on one of those boards.

Last point, and a parting gift to you (Kwality), I ask you to please refrain from arguing for arguments sake, and please use fact above your baseless opinion the next time you think you need to vent on this thread.

p.s. The Saints are coming ...

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
So Kwality, you won't accept opinion as fact? yet, your opinion should be treated as fact? unless all evidence suggests otherwise, however, even then you'll continue to protest its validity?

Truth be told, the current demographic break down (and ratings) has allowed the AFL to secure more than $2B for the next 6 years, outweighing the NRL's next 5 year income (excluding extra's for SoO and Internationals), this is of some fact. (see annual breakdowns if you need to)

Northern NSW which you argue to be Australia's 3rd largest TV audience has how many corporate HQ's? Second to that point, how many BMW and Mercedes dealerships are located in these regional areas compared to Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth (think rationale, household expenditure)? (I understand if this economic issue is complex)

I don't want to argue semantics, however, you continue to drive a fanciful argument without fact to back your opinion, all the while you question everyone else!

If you love the NRL and its broad fan base, perhaps it might be best if you try posting you grandstanding opinions on one of those boards.

Last point, and a parting gift to you (Kwality), I ask you to please refrain from arguing for arguments sake, and please use fact above your baseless opinion the next time you think you need to vent on this thread.

p.s. The Saints are coming ...

Its about viewers in the context of accumulating ratings to draw a conclusion - my point is transparent, when comparing the codes overall, include all the viewers.
& for accuracy 1873, Northern NSW is the 4th largest market behind Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane.

As for the Merc/BMW dealers, its just another way of comparing advertising rates.

As for facts in an earlier post I offered:

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Its about viewers in the context of accumulating ratings to draw a conclusion - my point is transparent, when comparing the codes overall, include all the viewers.
& for accuracy 1873, Northern NSW is the 4th largest market behind Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane.

As for the Merc/BMW dealers, its just another way of comparing advertising rates.

As for facts in an earlier post I offered:
Sorry mate you are just pissing into the wind and exposed every time you are just another deluded RL troll! The AFL wins on all fronts so just get over it!Even uncle Rupe says it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back