Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldnt agree more I reckon a twilight game is on the cards even as early as next year with CH7 and foxtel pushing hard to recover some of the massive fee they start paying from next year.
Hmmm...given the new massive TV deal, which starts next year, does not call for a twilight/night grand final, I think Gil will be holding that card to play very close to his chest for the next deal. Then again, he could cut a deal with Channel 7...twilight Grand final for all Swans/Giants games to be shown on the main 7 channel instead of 7 mate.

Also Foxtel have nothing to gain from what time the Grand Final starts - its the only game of the year they do not simulcast live.

Yeah, it's a smashing overall, but I find it disappointing that:

GWS attendance < Storm attendance (and also < Sharks attendance in Sydney)
GWS Sydney FTA ratings < Storm FTA ratings in Melbourne

For all the expansion efforts, more people in Melbourne wanted to watch NRL than people in Sydney wanting to watch AFL (on FTA).

True, the time slots were different, and maybe there were more Sydney viewers of AFL overall if Fox is included, but we'll likely never know the breakdown, so it's a moot point.

The Sydney numbers are still heartening viewed in isolation.

And the overall figures nationally are stunning.

I think the Sydney AFL numbers were about half the Sydney RL numbers, that is very good IMO.

Victorians love sport, that is one of the reasons why the Storms numbers are high, there is also far less code warring in Melbourne than Sydney.

The Fox numbers are amazing and at a guess you would think that people with a genuine interest in the game in the Norther states would have it.

The grass roots bases of footy in NSW and QLD is just so much deeper and stronger than RL in the Southern States it is somewhat of a joke really, that is a real key to the future IMO.

AFL - 2.387m
NRL - 1.652m

So overall AFL beat NRL in ratings by 735k. Incredible triumph by the AFL, and considering the time slot could well have added a few extra k had it been played later on. I think that makes it 8-0 in finals ratings so far in favour of the AFL.

The tin foil hat mob have given up their case on the swans and use use gws to compare now

Good point, I think the new boy on the block has to cop it, unfair , unjustified or not.

The RL mob has given up on the Swans and now put their energy into running GWS down - just a matter of time before that club is bigger than most Sydney NRL clubs

AFL - 2.387m
NRL - 1.652m

So overall AFL beat NRL in ratings by 735k. Incredible triumph by the AFL, and considering the time slot could well have added a few extra k had it been played later on. I think that makes it 8-0 in finals ratings so far in favour of the AFL.

A timeslot deliberately choisen to enable as many Sydney peoiple as possible to watch - given an NRL final on the same night - as much as it was for the convenience of the teams available. Smart scheduling.

Good point, I think the new boy on the block has to cop it, unfair , unjustified or not.

The RL mob has given up on the Swans and now put their energy into running GWS down - just a matter of time before that club is bigger than most Sydney NRL clubs

Does LU have a ratings thread?

They'd be getting sicker and sicker over the course of the finals.

Interesting comparison of the roles of Messrs Gil & Greenberg:
With the four football codes, cricket and tennis earning a combined $1.5 billion in revenue each year, elite sport does not have an issue attracting money

Only 17 of Australia's 49 professional football teams were profitable last year. McLachlan and Todd Greenberg, his counterpart at the National Rugby League, are grappling with how billion-dollar broadcast deals can help them shore up the financial futures of their respective groups of clubs.

They face challenges at every turn. Fierce opposition from some clubs has already forced McLachlan to dilute luxury tax measures levied on wealthy clubs designed to redistribute money to poorer teams, while Greenberg has been at loggerheads with his clubs regarding how much money will be dispersed across the competition.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/brand/afr-magazine/afl-head-gillon-mclachlan-tops-australias-most-powerful-in-sport-for-2016-20160812-gqrguc#ixzz4LJSWCHEO

Where the money is spent is interesting for both Aussie Rules & League fans alike - one day soon there needs to be a deeper analysis by an independent journo type, not an industry approved spin doctor. It will need to look further than the CEOs of the codes.

They do have one on the NRL Media board. Thread was on the second page when I looked (no recent posts).

One thing I'll say about LU. It makes it much easier to find NRL attendance figures. The NRL website rarely seems to provide them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'd still find a way to say it doesn't count and call it gayfl. This is a legit a post I saw based on the Hawks v bulldogs crowd.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-26-11-21-03_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-26-11-21-03_1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 10
A timeslot deliberately choisen to enable as many Sydney peoiple as possible to watch - given an NRL final on the same night - as much as it was for the convenience of the teams available. Smart scheduling.

Last few Saturday prelim finals have started at 530ish local time. Two Hawthorn Saturday prelim finals against Adelaide clubs were at 530

Does anyone have a breakdown on regionals,cities and Fox for the 2007 Geelong vs Collingwood (highest rating non grand final ever)?

They do have one on the NRL Media board. Thread was on the second page when I looked (no recent posts).

One thing I'll say about LU. It makes it much easier to find NRL attendance figures. The NRL website rarely seems to provide them.

Like the AFL, the NRL provide crowd figures at the bottom of most match reports.

Does anyone have a breakdown on regionals,cities and Fox for the 2007 Geelong vs Collingwood (highest rating non grand final ever)?

IIRC Fox didn't simulcast finals until the current tv deal started 5 years ago. Would've been all Channel 7.

Interesting comparison of the roles of Messrs Gil & Greenberg:
With the four football codes, cricket and tennis earning a combined $1.5 billion in revenue each year, elite sport does not have an issue attracting money

Only 17 of Australia's 49 professional football teams were profitable last year. McLachlan and Todd Greenberg, his counterpart at the National Rugby League, are grappling with how billion-dollar broadcast deals can help them shore up the financial futures of their respective groups of clubs.

They face challenges at every turn. Fierce opposition from some clubs has already forced McLachlan to dilute luxury tax measures levied on wealthy clubs designed to redistribute money to poorer teams, while Greenberg has been at loggerheads with his clubs regarding how much money will be dispersed across the competition.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/brand/afr-magazine/afl-head-gillon-mclachlan-tops-australias-most-powerful-in-sport-for-2016-20160812-gqrguc#ixzz4LJSWCHEO

Where the money is spent is interesting for both Aussie Rules & League fans alike - one day soon there needs to be a deeper analysis by an independent journo type, not an industry approved spin doctor. It will need to look further than the CEOs of the codes.
Personally I cant see how anyone in Oz sports is more powerful that John Coates.

Last few Saturday prelim finals have started at 530ish local time. Two Hawthorn Saturday prelim finals against Adelaide clubs were at 530

That's because Adelaide airport shuts at night. Any game involving Adelaide or Sydney teams will be early starts so either they or their opponent will be able to fly home that night.

They'd still find a way to say it doesn't count and call it gayfl. This is a legit a post I saw based on the Hawks v bulldogs crowd.
Was roaming around The Fight Club a few weeks ago and noticed that I was given a shout out after I asked a question to Wookie on Bigfooty.
Screenshot (141).png
Accused Wookie of creating propaganda because they can't handle the fact their the inferior code. Makes me laugh really that they do some covert work on the opposition on Bigfooty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back