Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I cant see how anyone in Oz sports is more powerful that John Coates.
Only because the slimy little suckhole bastard cons millions of dollarsout of our taxes from gutless governments!One of the greatest gravy train riders in Australian history.When was the last time this bloodsucker actually had a real job not paid out of the public purse?

Over two million hours of NRL has been streamed in 2016 (so far) on the NRL Live app and while that’s a huge number it’s interesting to look at the game by game stats for Telstra’s exclusive online streaming of Australia’s biggest sporting codes.

Yep – Fans streamed a total of 2,091,663 hours on the NRL Live App – staggering when you think about it, and the most watched “moment” of 2016 in the NRL – The Golden Point Match between Cronulla and the Titans with 29,000 concurrent viewers.

That same game attracted a total of 59,999 unique viewers.

Perhaps a sign of the year their having, the Sharks are the NRL’s most popular team online with the Raiders taking second spot.

The Sharkies featured in three of the top five games this year on the digital audience alone.

And don’t worry, the important games got the attention, the Storm v Cowboys battle for the Minor Premiership attracted over 50,000 viewers with 1.8 million minutes watched.

Down south in the AFL the numbers show Carlton as the most popular team with an average audience of 34,000 per match, while the GWS Giants, Carlton and Swannies all have the fastest growing audience in 2016.

The AFL though can claim the biggest number, 267,000 concurrent live streams at 4pm during the Hawthorn v St Kilda ANZAC weekend clash – that’s Melbourne Cup numbers.

These numbers are amazing, but a long way from Broadcast TV numbers, so the gap between online and broadcast still has some way to go – but with Telstra’s successful 5G tests this week – one can only imagine what the landscape will be like in five years from now.

http://eftm.com.au/2016/09/telstras-most-streamed-afl-and-nrl-games-in-2016-31949

AFL:

• Most watched play of 2016: Hawthorn V St Kilda ANZAC Weekend (267K live streams around 4pm)
  • Most popular game of 2016: Fremantle V Carlton (unique audience of 56,153 / maximum concurrent audience of 27,655)
  • Australia’s most popular team: Carlton (Average unique audience of 34k per match)
  • The game Australia couldn’t stop watching: Carlton V Geelong (2.14 million minutes watched / averaging 43.1 mins per unique audience member)
  • Fastest growing audience of 2016: GWS Giants, Carlton, Sydney Swans (GWS average unique audience of 33k per match, Carlton average unique audience of 34k per match, Sydney average unique audience of 30k per match)
From the NRL side of things, here’s what Telstra found:

NRL:

• Most watched play of 2016: Golden Point Match: Cronulla V Titans (29k concurrent users)
  • Most popular game of 2016: Sharks V Titans (59k unique viewers, 29k concurrent users)
  • Australia’s most popular team: Cronulla Sharks (three of the top five games of the year – based on digital pass audience)
  • The game Australia couldn’t stop watching: Battle for the Minor Premiership: Storm v Cowboys (1.8million minutes watched/ 35.9 mins per unique audience member)
  • Fastest growing audience of 2016: Sharks, Raiders, Titans
Key takeouts:

• Golden Point remains a huge drawcard for digital viewers – the Cronulla v Titans match above (Round 21) pulled big numbers towards the extra time period. While Golden Point remains a polarising aspect of the game, there’s no doubt it’s a ratings winner.
  • Cronulla Sharks are officially the NRL’s most popular team when it comes to digital viewers. They are closely followed by the exciting Canberra Raiders, proving tight, entertaining games and attacking, exciting football is a winner with fans tuning in on-the-go.
  • Fans streamed a total of 2,091,663 hours on the NRL Live App.

http://www.itwire.com/entertainment/74918-telstra-afl-and-nrl-app-streaming-stats-2016.html

So ch7s ads are 30% more expensive despite being shown in non prime time. Says a lot about the audience sizes i would have thought

Well that is interesting considering from all accounts the NRL will outrate the AFL. And it is in a better time slot for advertising.

So ch7s ads are 30% more expensive despite being shown in non prime time. Says a lot about the audience sizes i would have thought
a key reason ch 7 and afl won't move the grandfinal to night is this: they get a super-sized audince in a dead timeslot and then get to charge advertisers again for whatever crap is on a sunday night again.
if ch. nine gets 1 million viewers for whatever dating/ talent/ cooking show they have on a regular sunday night , but swap that out for a 4 million NRL grandfinal, then they are only really up three million, but upset their schedule.
if ch. 7 get four million for a saturday arvo grandfinal plus 1 million for their reno/ dating/ cooking show, the they are in fact totalling five million - and win.

I think it actually says a lot more about demographics. We know the NRL GF gets huge numbers and it's not a surprise if it beats the AFL (mainly due to the prime time factor).

But I'm guessing the industry has a lot more in-depth statistics on who is actually watching, and AFL viewers must be a lot more appealing to advertisers, either due to age or income breakdown.

a key reason ch 7 and afl won't move the grandfinal to night is this: they get a super-sized audince in a dead timeslot and then get to charge advertisers again for whatever crap is on a sunday night again.
if ch. nine gets 1 million viewers for whatever dating/ talent/ cooking show they have on a regular sunday night , but swap that out for a 4 million NRL grandfinal, then they are only really up three million, but upset their schedule.
if ch. 7 get four million for a saturday arvo grandfinal plus 1 million for their reno/ dating/ cooking show, the they are in fact totalling five million - and win.
I dunno about this. I mean, look no further than the NRL. My quick Wikipedia research shows that the NRL Grand final was played Sunday afternoon up to 2000. It then went into evening mode at the behest of Channel 9, before fans revolted and a compromise was reached for twilight. Now, its back to night time which is exactly what Channel 9 wants.

I also remember Demetriou saying, immediately post the Grand Final draw in 2010 that 7 chairman Kerry Stokes was in his ear asking for a night time replay. The reason the GF has not moved up till now I feel has been for traditions sake. Gill is already on record saying he is not opposed to the idea and I reckon, like most sporting events, it will eventually move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fact, Article just today about many in NRL calling for their GF to go back to day time.

NRL grand final 2016: Night no time to play biggest game of year

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...a/news-story/c089c935bfc49b3c772aa8156d5f1d8d

It's a Murdoch paper though. Fox has little skin in the GF. If anything, daytime would probably suit Fox as then the replay could be shown in prime time.

Bit like if Fairfax/Nine ran a negative story on a nighttime AFL GF.

Not bad, not bad.

But have they heard we got 100k :D (99,981 to be exact but still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back