Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, fox ratings have clearly gone past nrl by some margin when you look at finals and Friday nights - ie like for like comparisons.

The Foxtel statement aligns with logic - if Foxtel has higher penetration in nsw and qld and the afl is achieving the highest ratings then it is likely that there is a lot of afl watching going on in nsw and / or qld

I think that's a reasonable conclusion.

Growing every year. The heartland Wanderers seem to be drawing equal to or less than them.

Not bad for a club we supposedly didnt want vs a club that is in its heartland.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The Giants don't exist in Western Sydney fact.

People don't wear their merchandise, you never see membership stickers on cars - they're pulling the Canberra wool over your eyes, they'd have about 3000 genuine fans in a region of 2.2 million and most of those have dual memberships.

$100 million so far and counting.

People don't wear their merchandise, you never see membership stickers on cars - they're pulling the Canberra wool over your eyes, they'd have about 3000 genuine fans in a region of 2.2 million and most of those have dual memberships.

You do realise youre a random on an internet forum and therefore stating "fact" doesnt make it so.

See the stickers hats and merch often.

The rest of your rambling shows your a wanderer who should be concentrating on being the best football/soccer team in Sydney let alone of any sporting code.
Maybe try being the biggest sport in summer.

You wish the code had that money to spend.
Heartland vs Frontier. You would expect the Wanderers to do well. Stats say otherwise.

You probably said the same thing, or your father did about the Swans 20 years ago.

However The Giants would have liked a ground further West no doubt.

You realise $20 million a year is significantly less than 1/18th of the new afl media rights deal?

So a chunk of their 20,000 members next year will be Canberra based. Some portion of their higher spotless crowds than the wanderers next year will be expats and travelling fans. Less people are getting around western Sydney in orange and charcoal than red and black.

Woopty do. Participation in western Sydney has more than doubled in 4 years. The giants prelim was the highest rating game on Foxtel this year. The giants pull more in own revenues than the wanderers total revenue.

In 20 years time half of western Sydney can be stewing in anti afl / giants bitterness and that won't matter at all.

As Wookie's figures show, no soccer game makes it into the top 100 in Fox ratings, and doesn't make an appearance until no. 155.

That's the A-League grand final, with the underwhelming ratings of 237k.

Maybe two small A-League clubs were battling it out in the grand final? But hang on, no, in fact that massive club, the Western Sydney Wanderers were actually in the grand final, and still only 237k tuned in.

Fast forward to the AFL preliminary final, involving GWS, and 565k tuned in, well above any other AFL game in history.

Meaning? Clearly a fair few are tuning in from Sydney (confirmed by Fox management).

In fact, looking at those two ratings figures, recalling that the former is actually a grand final involving the hugely popular Wanderers, one might be tempted to draw certain conclusions about the Giants vis-à-vis the Wanderers.

Just noticing that even a regular home-and-away game between Geelong and the Giants managed ratings of 321k, nearly 100k higher than a grand final featuring the Wanderers.

The Rd 13 game between Essendon and the Giants managed 297k.

It's worth noting that the average Fox ratings for an AFL game are around the 185k mark.

You realise $20 million a year is significantly less than 1/18th of the new afl media rights deal?

So a chunk of their 20,000 members next year will be Canberra based. Some portion of their higher spotless crowds than the wanderers next year will be expats and travelling fans. Less people are getting around western Sydney in orange and charcoal than red and black.

Woopty do. Participation in western Sydney has more than doubled in 4 years. The giants prelim was the highest rating game on Foxtel this year. The giants pull more in own revenues than the wanderers total revenue.

In 20 years time half of western Sydney can be stewing in anti afl / giants bitterness and that won't matter at all.

In terms of participation it has probably significantly more than doubled the way the AFL or ABS term it, but in terms of pure teams at club level which i think is the real pointer it has doubled.

They are probably looking at around 150 junior teams nest year keeping that 20% growth in club football ticking along.

What will happen in the near future is a splitting of Western Sydney juniors from South Western Juniors, which already happens ATM to about under 11's.

No one likes to travel around a city in traffic taking kids to sport, so it is in their own best interests to further concentrate district sporting comps.

And i may point out that doing that gives SW Sydney a separate identity ;)

Aus v Pak (Day 5) - 6189 @ MCG

Bris v Hob (BBL) - 34,601 @ GABBA (first sold out sporting event since Ashes day 1 in 2006)

Syd FC v Bris - 16,510 @ Allianz

That is interesting, without looking up the capacity i thought the Gabba was close to 40k, or from memory 38k

The A League will continue to grow, you only have to visit schools to realise it.

But it's staggering to think the AFL has the 4th largest average attendance (32k per game) per game of any sporting league in the world. That's astonishing for such a small population base. That's ahead of MLB (30k...admittedly lots of games including more midweek) and Spanish (26k) and Italian Leagues (23k). Btw these were 2014 figures.

image.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/attendance-sports-leagues-world-2015-5

Geez, you guys are still going.

Comparing AFL/NRL/Cricket to A-League is a laugh and always going to produce results that favour the sports that have been around for decades longer than the A-League. A-League is tracking upwards by itself so really no need for comparisons.

AFL is one of the world's strongest leagues so according to you guys, it's a failing league if the crowds and ratings aren't as strong. Deadset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing AFL/NRL/Cricket to A-League is a laugh and always going to produce results that favour the sports that have been around for decades longer than the A-League. A-League is tracking upwards by itself so really no need for comparisons.

We will be going for a while ;), off to have a hit of tennis, but i will be back, some interesting stuff comes up from time to time, breaks up the holiday season.

Dick comparing has been going on since Adam was a boy.

Long may it continue.

The capacity of the Gabba is supposed to be 42,000, which has me bemused, because I can never remember a crowd over 40,000 in its history.

Lions have sold out a few times if 34 k is a sellout, i am guessing that Gabba authorities don't really know the capacity.

And maybe Gabba membership ( cricket ) dictates the last 6k of seats ?.

Certainly in cricket mode, you lose a significant number of seats because of sightscreens and the GABBA swimming pool (yes swimming pool...). I would say capacity around 38k for cricket. With BBL tickets so cheap (adult $20), wouldn't surprise me if a few decided on the night that they couldn't be bothered anymore.

The A League will continue to grow, you only have to visit schools to realise it.

But it's staggering to think the AFL has the 4th largest average attendance (32k per game) per game of any sporting league in the world. That's astonishing for such a small population base. That's ahead of MLB (30k...admittedly lots of games including more midweek) and Spanish (26k) and Italian Leagues (23k). Btw these were 2014 figures.

image.jpg

I have no doubt itll continue to grow.

But using junior participation is a bit iffy.

Soccer/football, as far as i know, always been the biggest junior sport. Even going back to when i was a whipper snapper.
Hasnt tranalated though

I have no doubt itll continue to grow.

But using junior participation is a bit iffy.

Soccer/football, as far as i know, always been the biggest junior sport. Even going back to when i was a whipper snapper.
Hasnt tranalated though

You're right it hasn't in the past but it's different now in they are now also fans of the game. That may seem like a strange comment, but I'm talking about the fact that with pay tv and the A League this generation has actually grown up following some of these teams and had lifelong attachments. This isn't just non-Anglo kids either.

They are far more engaged in the game than they've ever been.

You're right it hasn't in the past but it's different now in they are now also fans of the game. That may seem like a strange comment, but I'm talking about the fact that with pay tv and the A League this generation has actually grown up following some of these teams and had lifelong attachments. This isn't just non-Anglo kids either.

Arguably soccer has been able to get back to a position it occupied in the mid 60s, a time when those who played actually followed the game (and in far greater numbers than many realise).

The main difference is that it was mostly immigrants back then, and now it it's a tiny bit more mainstream.

image.jpg

Several years ago it was ranked second but that was before the expansion side of GCS and GWS came in to the comp

AFL is one of the world's strongest leagues so according to you guys, it's a failing league if the crowds and ratings aren't as strong. Deadset.

This is a thread explicitly tracking comparisons between professional sporting codes on a sub forum dedicated to such matters.

Nobody is calling the a league a failing league. It is merely being benchmarked in a thread explicitly dedicated to such benchmarking

If it upsets you then let your mouse do the talking

Soccer was massive at my school in the 90s, the only difference perhaps are some more kids are engaged in the domestic league now...But, seriously, how many? Average attendances are lower than in the second season and tv ratings significantly lower than a few years back. Does this super cohort not go to many games or have remote control rights?

Kids follow multiple sports and are more impressionable to global glamour.

Maybe it is higher than historically to some marginal degree but more likely people a misinterpreting a phenomenon that has been constant for decades.

Soccer was massive at my school in the 90s, the only difference perhaps are some more kids are engaged in the domestic league now...But, seriously, how many? Average attendances are lower than in the second season and tv ratings significantly lower than a few years back. Does this super cohort not go to many games or have remote control rights?

Kids follow multiple sports and are more impressionable to global glamour.

Maybe it is higher than historically to some marginal degree but more likely people a misinterpreting a phenomenon that has been constant for decades.
Average attendances are lower than in the second season - no they're not. That was a league in eight teams. More people are attending games this seaosn than ever before and will likely be a record in a 10-team league.
tv ratings significantly lower than a few years back - once again, no. Ratings were poor last season but they've bounced back and are on par with the previous few seasons.

I mean seriously, who could ever have imagined that not just the top rating AFL game, but the top rating sports event of 2016 (on Fox), perhaps in history, would be a game between the AFL's newest team, based in Sydney, and one of Melbourne's smaller clubs...
Hasn't got much to do with it being the GWS or even the Bulldogs. The finals are the top rating programs on Fox and every 2nd or 3rd year the game of the year seems to be one of the prelim finals. The #2 program was the Geelong v Sydney prelim but the game was over at 1/4 time. A 6 goal margin then and a 6 goal margin at the end. The GWS v WB was a great 4 quarter game that the result was on the balance until Macrae goal with about 15 seconds to go. They are the big drivers behind that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back