Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying like Volleyball, they have to sell something other than lots of eyeballs on TV and big crowds to sponsors. Look for other positive externalities and other ways of measuring ROI. The FFA have been useless when it comes to promoting the women's league.

Why is Gina Rinehart splurging at least $5mil into 4 Olympic sports? Wants good PR? Loves those sports? Knows she has to put something back into society? All of the above plus what John Bertrand said in

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/gina-rinehart-australias-biggest-olympic-fan-20160728-gqfm5b
"The question is, why does she do this?" says Bertrand. "Well, I think she loves the concept of Australians taking on the world. She gets a great sense of satisfaction seeing these people go out and do their best."
http://www.afr.com/business/sport/gina-rinehart-australias-biggest-olympic-fan-20160728-gqfm5b

The FFA haven't had the smarts to approach people like Rinehart who are looking for more than eyeballs on TV's and crowds.

Maybe, but the FFA isn't short on relationships with the mega wealthy. The whole A-League is built on it, and the FFA has been run by one of Australia's wealthiest families for a decade. Perhaps that's why Gina and Twiggy have chosen to be involved with other, lower profile sports - because people that they are in competition with in business are involved with soccer.

Maybe, but the FFA isn't short on relationships with the mega wealthy. The whole A-League is built on it, and the FFA has been run by one of Australia's wealthiest families for a decade. Perhaps that's why Gina and Twiggy have chosen to be involved with other, lower profile sports - because people that they are in competition with in business are involved with soccer.
I think the Lowy's have deliberately limited how much cash they have put in, to make sure that others don't rest on their laurels and depend on them. Frank has given a fair bit of non cash investment into the game - the men's game in particular, to get it onto a decent sustainable path from the shambles on pre 2005 era.

The W-League is different to the men's game. It needs a benefactor to kick it up to the next level. Its why I think the FFA should go back to the Westfield and look to them being that benefactor. Yes the PFA have put in a strategy which doesn't involve them and technically its the Scentre Group who own and run the Westfield's centre in Oz and NZ, the Lowy's don't run it, aren't on the board or management team and only have a 4% share, but they still have great influence and the Westfield/Scentre Group have plenty of potential synergies to gain from upping their sponsorship level.

Last edited:

I think the Lowy's have deliberately limited how much cash they have put in, to make sure that others don't rest on their laurels and depend on them. Frank has give a fair bit of non cash investment into the game - the men's game in particular, to get it onto a decent sustainable path from the shambles on pre 2005 era.

The W-League is different to the men's game. It needs a benefactor to kick it up to the next level. Its why I think the FFA should go back to the Westfield and look to them being that benefactor. Yes the PFA have put in a strategy which doesn't involve them and technically its the Scentre Group who own and run the Westfield's centre in Oz and NZ, the Lowy's don't run it, aren't on the board or management team and only have a 4% share, but they still have great influence and the Westfield/Scentre Group have plenty of potential synergies to gain from upping their sponsorship level.

The thing is - they already are. It's called the Westfield W-League. The national side is called the Westfield Matildas. Lowy already *is* the Gina equivalent of womens soccer.

I think the Lowy's have deliberately limited how much cash they have put in, to make sure that others don't rest on their laurels and depend on them. Frank has give a fair bit of non cash investment into the game - the men's game in particular, to get it onto a decent sustainable path from the shambles on pre 2005 era.

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?
He restructured the game using his political and business network and provided his time and expertise.

He didn't get paid a $700k a year consultancy fee like John Coates does at the AOC.

Last edited:
The thing is - they already are. It's called the Westfield W-League. The national side is called the Westfield Matildas. Lowy already *is* the Gina equivalent of womens soccer.
So what level of $$$ are they putting into the W-League and what is their sponsorship with the Matilda's worth?

So what level of $$$ are they putting into the W-League and what is their sponsorship with the Matilda's worth?

Well, the salary cap has stayed exactly the same at $150,000 per club for 9 seasons now. At a guess, you could imagine Westfield providing no more than half of what that adds up to for the 10 clubs, with rest to be made up by the clubs.

The fact that most clubs aren't even reaching the $150,000 salary cap (and that's after 9 seasons), might suggest the Westfield contribution is even lower in financial terms (they might provide other in-kind support like in-store advertising, giving women's gear prime location in their stores, etc.)

A-league and Soccer

AFL
NRL
ARU

Sorry but it is very much not doable. How much of their hard earned have the Lowy's actually invested into either the HAL or WWL?

Why do you think they will all of a sudden pump in millions of dollars into something they have probably paid a minimal amount to sponsor hitherto? Or are you suggesting that they basically make them work part time at a shopping centre?

Why do you think the W League is all of a sudden going to start paying more than the US and English women's soccer leagues? I'll give you a hint, they're not and not just for the want of a group of shopping centres wanting to pump money into them.

This is just a massive ambit claim by the PFA.

In a four years there will be three women's sports paying aggregate TPPs to players in excess of $5million and, alas, soccer is not one of them. If they've cracked $1 million they'll be lucky
Frank Lowy would of pumped some money in the A-league. Especially in that 2006-2013 period where the tv Deal was only worth 19 million a year and the A-league salary cap was worth 2 million.

Only way I see money being funded in the W-league is by 2 methods. One option is to find sponsorships, the other way is to use some of that money for the new 51 million a year tv rights deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL
  • JLT Series: St Kilda d Port Adelaide: Crowd: 5,363 @ Etihad Stadium
  • GWS claims 15,706 GIANTS 2017 Members, up 82 per cent increase on the same time last year. The club reports 3,356 members are based in Canberra.
  • Richmond have signed Bang & Olufsen as its official Audio-Visual Partner, in what is the brand’s first-ever AFL partnership. Bang & Olufsen will have logo presence on both the AFL and VFL Tigers’ home and away match-day shorts. The brand will also be integrated throughout the Club’s video and social media channels, and have a match-day presence in Richmond’s changerooms
Rugby Union
NRL
Soccer
  • The Age reports that Victorian taxpayers will see little change out of $10 million for the privilege of watching the SuperClasico between Argentina and Brazil at the MCG on June 9 and the match between the Socceroos and the Brazilians at the same ground on June 13. The Age also notes there is a very real possibility that Argentina could stay on and play another match, sources say, with an Asian team flown in to provide opposition to help them prepare for their final round of World Cup qualifiers in August, September and October

Soccer
  • The Age reports that Victorian taxpayers will see little change out of $10 million for the privilege of watching the SuperClasico between Argentina and Brazil at the MCG on June 9 and the match between the Socceroos and the Brazilians at the same ground on June 13. The Age also notes there is a very real possibility that Argentina could stay on and play another match, sources say, with an Asian team flown in to provide opposition to help them prepare for their final round of World Cup qualifiers in August, September and October

That should be "Victorian tax payers will see little change out of $10 million to provide some with the opportunity to pay for the privilege of watching the superclasico"

Very dubious "investment"

That should be "Victorian tax payers will see little change out of $10 million to provide some with the opportunity to pay for the privilege of watching the superclasico"

Very dubious "investment"

According to the Sports Minister the match is almost a sellout already with 46% of the ticket sales coming from interstate and overseas. I reckon the $10 million is easily covered.This is a piddling amount in a state budget of $76 billion dollars.

Plus the game will have heaps of international media coverage that puts Melbournes name to the fore.All good!

Last edited:
According to the Sports Minister the match is almost a sellout already with 46% of the ticket sales coming from interstate and overseas. I reckon the $10 million is easily covered.This is a piddling amount in a state budget of $76 billion dollars.

Plus the game will have heaps of international media coverage that puts Melbournes name to the fore.All good!

I call bull on that 46% figure. If there are 46,000 visitors then it is worthwhile but there won't be. Do they have a clean venue or can mcc members and afl members have access?

Be careful taking at face value the information from a politician justifying a decision they've already taken

Also very much doubt there'll be much coverage of this match outside of the two countries involved.

Daily Tel. Rothfield 24.2:-

.NRL clubs collectively lost $53,400,000 in 2016. Only Broncos & Cowboys made profits.
Despite an advance of $50,000,000 from Ch.9 from new TV rights deal, NRL H/O also lost $2,000,000 in 2016.
. Losses for the NRL clubs have increased by $10,000,000 pa since 2014, when the losses were $30,000,000
.Rothfield also says these losses are the main reason for their dispute with Grant & NRLC over funding allocations
.The NRL ownership of the Knights & Titans caused losses of $6,000,000 in 2016 (not sure if each were $6, or total of $6,000,000 -my words)

(These significant losses would appear to be a considerable obstacle to the much speculated expansion of the NRL -my words)

Last edited:
I call bull on that 46% figure. If there are 46,000 visitors then it is worthwhile but there won't be. Do they have a clean venue or can mcc members and afl members have access?

Be careful taking at face value the information from a politician justifying a decision they've already taken

Also very much doubt there'll be much coverage of this match outside of the two countries involved.

What a negative person you are - you should get out a bit more!

Its clean venue all seats are sold even the members and why would the Minister lie about something that can easily be verified?

This is such a high profile match for soccer fans why wouldnt they come in there droves from interstate, NZ and Asia Its a lot cheaper than going to South America to see these two iconic teams play

Seeing that soccer is the highest followed sport on the planet with billions of fans who would be interested in the match between two of the most famous national teams I can assure you it will get plenty of international coverage

Daily Tel. Rothfield 24.2:-

.NRL clubs collectively lost $53,400,000 in 2016. Only Broncos & Cowboys made profits.
Despite an advance of $50,000,000 from Ch.9 from new TV rights deal, NRL H/O also lost $2,000,000 in 2016.
. Losses for the NRL clubs have increased by $10,000,000 pa since 2014, when the losses were $30,000,000
.Rothfield also says these losses are the main reason for their dispute with Grant & NRLC over funding allocations
.The NRL ownership of the Knights & Titans caused losses of $6,000,000 in 2016 (not sure if each were $6, or total of $6,000,000 -my words)

(These significant losses would appear to be a considerable obstacle to the much speculated expansion of the NRL -my words)
Yep that is a massive average of 3.8 million per club. I bet they are in shock over at LU.Clearly the NRL will struggle to catch up to the AFL any time soon due to their poor Membership numbers and Crowds compared to the AFL.

NRL
Looking at the graph in that story those figures must be before grants from the NRL clubs' licensed club. Whilst the total figure is poor you always have to adjust for the licensed clubs grants because its an integral component of their funding/revenue stream. If it includes grants from the licensed clubs then there are some serious problems.

Parramatta basically did an Essendon - paying for past mistakes of stupid management.

fcfba636468e9ceaa7b78ff07163c956

Looking at the graph in that story those figures must be before grants from the NRL clubs' licensed club. Whilst the total figure is poor you always have to adjust for the licensed clubs grants because its an integral component of their funding/revenue stream. If it includes grants from the licensed clubs then there are some serious problems.

Parramatta basically did an Essendon - paying for past mistakes of stupid management.

fcfba636468e9ceaa7b78ff07163c956
My understanding is that some NRL clubs can obtain funding from very profitable League's Clubs ( I think Parra. & Penrith) -but other NRL Clubs don't have access to such funding.
How do they extricate themselves financially, when these losses appear to be part of an ongoing, worsening trend?

Would the NRL expand (2nd Brisbane, Perth?) whilst most Clubs are having ongoing net losses ?

My understanding is that some NRL clubs can obtain funding from very profitable League's Clubs ( I think Parra. & Penrith) -but other NRL Clubs don't have access to such funding.
How do they extricate themselves financially, when these losses appear to be part of an ongoing, worsening trend?

Would the NRL expand (2nd Brisbane, Perth?) whilst most Clubs are having ongoing net losses ?
Well thats what the AFL do. They spend a lot supporting old VFL clubs.

All the 9 Sydney clubs are linked in closely with their licensed clubs - but the licensed clubs have to be separate legal entities from the football club as per NSW legislation when they were set up in the 1950's. Wests Tigers were linked to 3 licensed clubs - Wests Leagues in Ashfield, the one they set up when they moved to Campbelltown and Balmain Leagues Club before it was sold 6 or 7 years ago. Newcastle and Canberra are tied to licensed clubs. The Broncos have one and their figures might be incorporated into the same entity as the football club. I don't know about the other 4 clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back