Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, being uncomfortable with my state government paying $10million for a one off soccer game does not make me a troll. You thinking it does, identifies you as a member of the soccer persecution complex brigade. Have a proper think about it, its 20% of the entire ffa tv rights. Theis a reason you "win" the rights to these sort of things - you offer more money than anyone else did!

Have a look at the massive jump in OS and interstate visitors Melbourne/Victoria has had over the past 15 years. Thats has to be due to something it dosent just happen.

I put it down to the "events" programme the Kennett Govt started and has been built on and continued by successive governments both Labor and LNP
These strategies take years to show results and that is what is happening now.As I said before $10 million is a small price to pay for this international event.

I think you are reading a little to long term in to this. We have a 100,000 seat stadium and a history of filling it and a government with a major events agency willing to hand over 10million. And The 10million is the most important factor

They aren't just pokies either, the bigger clubs have pretty diversified revenue streams with retirement homes, hotels, property developments, retail etc.

This is precisely the point, the companies which own the football clubs no longer exist purely to run football clubs, they are mega businesses in their own right, running a myriad of businesses, and the football club has zero control over those revenues, they receive what the holding company decides to give them.

For example, the Canberra Raiders are constantly crying poor to the ACT Government, but they are owned by a very successful and profitable company which could plough more money into it, if it chose to do so.

This is precisely the point, the companies which own the football clubs no longer exist purely to run football clubs, they are mega businesses in their own right, running a myriad of businesses, and the football club has zero control over those revenues, they receive what the holding company decides to give them.

For example, the Canberra Raiders are constantly crying poor to the ACT Government, but they are owned by a very successful and profitable company which could plough more money into it, if it chose to do so.

Probably a bit off point and a difference because it was a Junior leagues club, but didn't Souths junior leagues club pull the funding from Souths ?

Probably a bit off point and a difference because it was a Junior leagues club, but didn't Souths junior leagues club pull the funding from Souths ?

It's relevant because that's the sort of discrepancy which exists amongst these Leagues clubs - it's not a given that they will continue to plug multi-million dollar losses each season.

Mind you, Souths is one NRL club which can hold its head high in terms of the revenue it generates from its football operations. The old Sydney clubs need to learn how to generate their own revenue because they have been so reliant on the leagues clubs forever.

AFL
  • JLT Series -Richmond v Adelaide: 7,262 at Etihad Stadium
  • Fri STV: #AFL #FoxFooty Richmond v Adelaide 116k
A-league
Rugby Union
NRL

The Newcastle takeover by the NRL was because of the ownership of the club by Nathan Tinkler (and his downfall), while the Gold Coast takeover was related to their ill thought out "Centre of Excellence" and fallout from both a Salary Cap and drug scandal. The majority of the clubs have access to Leagues Club funding except for some of the newer clubs since the mid 90's either though location (Melbourne/Warriors) or going down a different path (Cowboys/Titans)

The Balmain side of the West Tigers joint venture had an issue because of a property development either falling over or not raising as much as hoped.

Melbourne is privately owned by Holding MS Australia which includes Bart Campbell (who also has a share in Melbourne City) and Gerry Ryan (Founder of Jayco and owner Greenedge Cycling). It is upon the owners to cover the gap in the funding. The Storm haven't had any access to Leagues Club funding.

They are pretty much content to cover the losses as that is what they are there for - to fund the football club

As for Clubs with Pokies being taxed more heavily that just simply isn't the case as the rate for pokies in clubs was reduced in 2011 with a cost of more than $500 million in foregone revenue up to last July and $13.5 billion cost over 20 years.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/clubs-pok...sw-taxpayers-135-billion-20160712-gq3wfu.html

It might seem extraordinary but when you consider the Victorian clubs rake in $88 million from pokies (13/14) it isn't really
Thanks for info.

Are you suggesting Vic. Clubs make a combined nett profit of $88,000,000 from their PURE pokie gambling revenues only (ie not including food & beverage sales at pokie venues etc)? I am aware that Carlton controls many machines, but I understand that Coll. about 4 years ago sold several unprofitable pokie venues.

WA has no community pokies. AFAIK, WA funds community sporting facilities adequately, on similar financial pro rata terms to the other states. And avoids the pokie related social miseries.

Your SMH article above said the Carr govt. in 2010 increased the taxes on Clubs with pokies -then the next Lib. govt. reversed this policy and reduced the taxes,to stop these clubs closing their doors(?). Did any actually close during the "High"taxing Carr ALP govt.?

In Vic. ( Churches,Tim Costello, & others) & SA (Xenophon party, & others), the proliferation of pokie venues (lower socioeconomic areas are well over-represented per capita with pokies, personal losses high amongst those who can least afford to lose money) are becoming increasingly vocal political issues. Is there a similar clamour in NSW & Qld. about this social issue?

Do the nthn. state Lic. pokie venues contribute to any other sports, or community activities (ie apart from NRL & local RLClubs)?

Re affiliated NRL pokie venues, what is the average ratio of funding between NRL & community RL clubs?

How much discretion do the NRL-affiliated pokie clubs have in deciding the quantum of funds they will provide their NRL Club -& community RL clubs?

(Sorry if these pokie issues have been canvassed in previous BF threads -am a recent newcomer to BF)

Last edited:
The Broncos are entirely separate from the leagues club.
When you say separate, do you mean separate legal entity but the same board - like Easts Leagues/Sydney Roosters, or both a separate legal entity and completely different board?

When you say separate, do you mean separate legal entity but the same board - like Easts Leagues/Sydney Roosters, or both a separate legal entity and completely different board?

its a completely separate entity as far as I can tell. Its not part of the Broncos Limited group structure. Seems to share only one director at this point (Joseph)

broncos Limited

DIRECTORS - Brocnos Limited

D M Watt (Chairman)
K S Bickford
J D Harvie
A J Joseph
D J Lockyer

DIRECTORS - Broncos League
L.G. Brindle (President) (Appointed 20 November 2014)
R.I. Kennerley (Appointed 20 November 2014)
A.J. Joseph (Appointed 20 November 2014)
G.W. Miles

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the NRL has occasionally had to takeover some NRL Clubs when they are having financial problems (eg Newcastle & GC), I assume not all have access to this supplementary funding. I also recall that Balmain (part of West Tigers) was having problems obtaining assistance from its League's Club.
Melb. Storm lost $3,500,000 -despite averaging crowds c. 16,000, & having been very competitive for virtually its whole history. Does it have any League's Clubs in Qld., or elsewhere (It was previously owned & funded by News Ltd)?

Are all these NRL Syd. League's Clubs content to cover these losses indefinitely -& how do they justify underwriting these constant losses? I understand c. 6 years ago, the NSW govt. began taxing League's Clubs, with pokies, heavily
Losses of $30,000,000 in 2014; & $40,000,000 in 2015; & $53,000,000 seem extraordinary.
robbieando gave a comprehensive answer but I will add one thing and that is that all the clubs in Sydney are inextricably linked to the football club. The ones set up in the 1950's and 1960's when the licensed clubs legislation allowed them to be set up in NSW, were set up by the football club to provide funding for the football club and for junior development programs as well as other community programs. That's why most of the 9 clubs have identical boards or overwhelming majority of similar board members for the football club and the licensed club.

If the football club losses keep growing they might not be able to fund the shortfall 100% but they are not going to stop funding the football club. There are state gambling taxes and income tax exemption implications if they were to stop supporting the football clubs.

Last edited:
The A League would be worried about the 10,700 at AAMI park for a match between MCFC and Sydney FC
Should have pulled at least 20,000 for two top teams you would think.
I personally wouldn't be worried. At least the combined 10 A-league clubs didn't lose a combined amount of 53 million in one year.

Nearly 11,000 for a Melbourne City crowd is above average when crunching the numbers of past data. They're slowly growing which can only be a good thing.

I personally wouldn't be worried. At least the combined 10 A-league clubs didn't lose a combined amount of 53 million in one year.

But the owners of A League clubs have racked up more than $300 million over 10 years. More money than sense? and most still lose money every year.The A League and FFA need at least a $100 million TV deal a year to cover costs and grow the game.

But the owners of A League clubs have racked up more than $300 million over 10 years. More money than sense? and most still lose money every year.The A League and FFA need at least a $100 million TV deal a year to cover costs and grow the game.

Doesn't seem to worry them, most of these owners understand they will lose money, for some it is a toy thing, eventually they get sick of it.

The ones that go into it thinking they will make money are going to get upset in the main.

The A League would be worried about the 10,700 at AAMI park for a match between MCFC and Sydney FC
Should have pulled at least 20,000 for two top teams you would think.
when was the last time MCFC ever got 20K to a league game without Victory..........

never is probably the answer. stop trolling. they didnt even have the 2nd tier opened. The crowd was expected.

That should be "Victorian tax payers will see little change out of $10 million to provide some with the opportunity to pay for the privilege of watching the superclasico"

Very dubious "investment"
its the flow on effect, it attracts tourism, the hotels, pubs & restaurants, taxis, transportation services benefit as well as showcasing Melbourne off to the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back