Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's true that City would rarely break 11k in any home game which didn't feature Victory, but by the same token, they were playing the top team and Timmy Cahill featured (at least for a short while).

Yep dosent look like Cahill is much of a crowd puller any more!

AFL
  • AFLW 2017 - Melbourne v Carlton, Casey Fields - 3,965
  • AFLW 2017 - Brisbane v GWS, South Pine - 3,500
  • AFLW 2017 - Western Bulldogs v Collingwood, Whitten Oval - 6,733
  • Sat TV #AFLW #AFLWDogsPies Seven 132k (Mel) 7mate 50k (Syd 7k Bri 16k Ade 9k Per 19k)
  • JLT 2017 - Melbourne v Carlton, Casey Fields - not reported yet
  • JLT 2017 - West Coast v Fremantle, Geraldton - 8,880 at Wonthella Oval
A-league
  • HAL 2016-17 - Brisbane v Wellington, Suncorp Stadium - 10,723
  • HAL 2016-17 - Melbourne Victory v Adelaide, Aami Park - 19,035
  • HAL 2016-17 - Perth v Western Sydney, nib Stadium - 9,789
Rugby Union
Super Netball

Last edited:

its the flow on effect, it attracts tourism, the hotels, pubs & restaurants, taxis, transportation services benefit as well as showcasing Melbourne off to the world

Yes, I am aware of this. Point is though even if there are 20,000 visitors they are costing the government $500 each. This things are invariably justified by either ambitious assumptions about tourist numbers, their expenditure or how that expenditure adds to overall economic output

Yes, I am aware of this. Point is though even if there are 20,000 visitors they are costing the government $500 each. This things are invariably justified by either ambitious assumptions about tourist numbers, their expenditure or how that expenditure adds to overall economic output

Its also about the unknown factor of international recognition that puts Melbournes name out there as an interesting place to visit.
$10 million is a small price to pay for that kind of PR worldwide

its a completely separate entity as far as I can tell. Its not part of the Broncos Limited group structure. Seems to share only one director at this point (Joseph)

broncos Limited

DIRECTORS - Brocnos Limited

D M Watt (Chairman)
K S Bickford
J D Harvie
A J Joseph
D J Lockyer

DIRECTORS - Broncos League
L.G. Brindle (President) (Appointed 20 November 2014)
R.I. Kennerley (Appointed 20 November 2014)
A.J. Joseph (Appointed 20 November 2014)
G.W. Miles

Just for the (trivial) record, G.W. Miles is none other than Gene Miles, the second ever Broncos captain. D.J. Lockyer is, of course, former Broncos, Queensland and Australian captain Darren Lockyer. Lawry Bindle is a former chairman of the Broncos NRL club.

The Broncos Leagues Club is now managed (I think?) by Easts Leagues Club (which is massive non-NRL enterprise in itself - http://eastsleagues.com.au/about/general-info/)

AFL
  • AFLW 2017 - Melbourne v Carlton, Casey Fields - 3,965
  • AFLW 2017 - Brisbane v GWS, South Pine - 3,500
  • AFLW 2017 - Western Bulldogs v Collingwood, Whitten Oval - 6,733
  • Sat TV #AFLW #AFLWDogsPies Seven 132k (Mel) 7mate 50k (Syd 7k Bri 16k Ade 9k Per 19k)
  • JLT 2017 - Melbourne v Carlton, Casey Fields - not reported yet
  • JLT 2017 - West Coast v Fremantle, Geraldton - 8,880 at Wonthella Oval
A-league
  • HAL 2016-17 - Brisbane v Wellington, Suncorp Stadium - 10,723
  • HAL 2016-17 - Melbourne Victory v Adelaide, Aami Park - 19,035
  • HAL 2016-17 - Perth v Western Sydney, nib Stadium - 9,789
Rugby Union
Super Netball

Nigh impossible for Rugby to break out of the demo it has cemented itself in, the polynesian influence scares the so called whitebread parents, but are needed to confront the might of the all blacks etc.

There are also 'safer' options for immigrants looking to put their kids into contact football sports.

RL owns the working class - read Western suburbs of Sydney and Brisbane and generally rural areas where the rugbies are played, possibly except for rural areas like New England where there is plenty of well to do land owners etc.

Further to that there has been significant inroads by other sports to Sydney private school boy rugby which is the mainstay of club rugby after they leave school.

Private Schools are increasingly offering a diverse range of sports including non traditional football codes, which eat away at what would have been traditonal rugby players, from AF to soccer to surfing.

The AFL comp through Sydney Private schools has grown from 28 teams in 2015 to just under 50 in 2016 including for the first time an opens or year 12 comp.

Last edited:
RL owns the working class - read Western suburbs of Sydney and Brisbane and generally rural areas where the rugbies are played, possibly except for rural areas like New England where there is plenty of well to do land owners etc.

Maybe I am misreading this, but if you mean the western suburbs of Brisbane, that usually refers to Toowong, St Lucia, Kenmore, Indooroopilly. Definitely not working class.

Just checking. Didn't know if you meant "(Western suburbs of Sydney) and Brisbane" or "Western suburbs of (Sydney and Brisbane)".

Maybe I am misreading this, but if you mean the western suburbs of Brisbane, that usually refers to Toowong, St Lucia, Kenmore, Indooroopilly. Definitely not working class.

Just checking. Didn't know if you meant "(Western suburbs of Sydney) and Brisbane" or "Western suburbs of (Sydney and Brisbane)".

Yes the Western Suburbs, just like the inner western suburbs of Sydney are not working class or RL centric these days, maybe i should have said the outer sprawling western suburbs.

Its also about the unknown factor of international recognition that puts Melbournes name out there as an interesting place to visit.
$10 million is a small price to pay for that kind of PR worldwide

I'm not sure this is worth much. A friendly isn't going to get much exposure outside Australia in the first place (given those countries play a lot of games with actual meaning), and no-one remembers what city the friendly is played in. Think about what cities Australia has played it's recent world cup qualifiers in for example - even the most ardent fan would probably be guessing.

In saying that, if you have a look at hotel prices for that weekend there is clearly some demand there. Not quite grand final prices, but not far short.

I'm not sure this is worth much. A friendly isn't going to get much exposure outside Australia in the first place (given those countries play a lot of games with actual meaning), and no-one remembers what city the friendly is played in. Think about what cities Australia has played it's recent world cup qualifiers in for example - even the most ardent fan would probably be guessing.

In saying that, if you have a look at hotel prices for that weekend there is clearly some demand there. Not quite grand final prices, but not far short.
It is advertising, but they are advertising the government, not the city. Bread and circuses type stuff.

Even in Brazil and Argentina, they are not going to bundle the broadcast up with expos on the fair city of Melbourne, not for a friendly. What they will see of Melbourne will be some grass, and the inside of a stadium, that they would struggle to name in a fortnight (if they learnt it in the first place).

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It is advertising, but they are advertising the government, not the city. Bread and circuses type stuff.

Even in Brazil and Argentina, they are not going to bundle the broadcast up with expos on the fair city of Melbourne, not for a friendly. What they will see of Melbourne will be some grass, and the inside of a stadium, that they would struggle to name in a fortnight (if they learnt it in the first place).

Pretty much. Even those that care what city it's held at generally aren't going to be any more likely to visit based on the view of the inside of a stadium. It's not like the Tour de France where you get to see the country, and Melbourne isn't a city that would get a lot of value out of simple brand recognition because it has that already. Anyone thinking of coming to Australia would be very familiar with Melbourne already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much. Even those that care what city it's held at generally aren't going to be any more likely to visit based on the view of the inside of a stadium. It's not like the Tour de France where you get to see the country, and Melbourne isn't a city that would get a lot of value out of simple brand recognition because it has that already. Anyone thinking of coming to Australia would be very familiar with Melbourne already.

Exactly, $10million is not a "small price to pay" for a practice match albeit between two rivalrous blue ribbon soccer nations. To put it in perspective, the state government's contribution to the mcg construction was 70 million. Apparently the two club series in the previous two years cost us similar amounts

Very few who are watching these games will be unaware of melbournes existence and far fewer again will be inspired to come to melbourne because of it

I assume the $10mil means the MCC or state government keep 100% or close to 100% of the ticket sales which if they sold all 100,000 tickets ie no MCC members or AFL members freebies, they would get in the $6mil-$10mil range. How much of that goes to the government and how much stays with the MCC?

And was getting the game part of a tactic to get Brazil to play the Socceroos a few days later? How much does Brazil get for that? who gets the ticket revenue for that friendly?

NRL chief Todd Greenberg defends code's commercial ties to gambling

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...re-all-nnn-nnn-vars-o&sa=D&usg=ALhdy28zsr6qiq

NRL chief Todd Greenberg on Sunday defended the game's commercial links to gambling in the wake of the allegations levelled at Tim Simona, insisting administrators were working hard to maintain "a really strong balance" between the sport's integrity and catering for thousands of supporters who enjoyed punting on the competition.

League Central last year agreed to a $60 million deal with Sportsbet in making the corporate bookmaker league's official betting partner and is also reaping a far greater windfall from the gambling industry than in previous years thanks to lucrative percentage-of-turnover contracts secured with betting agencies in 2015.

I assume the $10mil means the MCC or state government keep 100% or close to 100% of the ticket sales which if they sold all 100,000 tickets ie no MCC members or AFL members freebies, they would get in the $6mil-$10mil range. How much of that goes to the government and how much stays with the MCC?

And was getting the game part of a tactic to get Brazil to play the Socceroos a few days later? How much does Brazil get for that? who gets the ticket revenue for that friendly?

Your assumptions would almost certainly be off the mark. They'll get the net ticket sales in addition to the $10million from the government

The $10 million as I understand it included the Brazil vs Australia game plus any game they might try and arrange for Argentina vs an Asian Nation. AFL Members don't get access as far as I'm aware and MCC members have to pay $50 so Ticket Sales go to the promotor (which I believe is the State Government)

Your assumptions would almost certainly be off the mark. They'll get the net ticket sales in addition to the $10million from the government
Thats not what happened at AO with Liverpool. The SA government underwrote them and they let the SMA keep most of the ticket revenue, which would have then been put into the sinking fund for capital repairs and capital upgrades in the future.

Exactly, $10million is not a "small price to pay" for a practice match albeit between two rivalrous blue ribbon soccer nations. To put it in perspective, the state government's contribution to the mcg construction was 70 million. Apparently the two club series in the previous two years cost us similar amounts

Very few who are watching these games will be unaware of melbournes existence and far fewer again will be inspired to come to melbourne because of it
Melbourne will be plastered over the pitch and the commentators will of course mention Melbourne a number of times.You know very little about marketing by your negative comments.
I suppose you reckon the Tennis Open and F1 GP are a waste of money as well! That must be why Sydney are always trying to pinch them so they can lose money?
Over the years the State government who actually owns the MCG has put in hundreds of millions of dollars into improvements at the G

Melbourne will be plastered over the pitch and the commentators will of course mention Melbourne a number of times.You know very little about marketing by your negative comments.
I suppose you reckon the Tennis Open and F1 GP are a waste of money as well! That must be why Sydney are always trying to pinch them so they can lose money?
Over the years the State government who actually owns the MCG has put in hundreds of millions of dollars into improvements at the G

I wouldn't necessarily say a waste of money to any of these events, including big soccer internationals, but by the same token, there must always be a cut-off, whatever that might be.

No, they do get expo style coverage of Melbourne. They have lots of hours to fill. Local colour etc.
This is a one of match. Telecast will start maybe 30 - 60 min before the game. Mostly it will be interviews with coaches and players, tactical and technical discussion. Then game, then maybe 30 min post analysis, interviews etc. Melbourne will be featured on signs and billboards etc. But $10 million worth. No

But it doesn't matter, this event isn't designed to impress Brazilians and Argentinians, its designed to impress Melbournians.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I think you misread his comments. He said very few would be unaware of the existence of Melbourne - i.e the level of awareness of Melbourne being a major city in Australia will already be high. Seeing a few Melbourne signs on a soccer field won't do much for increasing awareness as everyone that would even consider Melbourne as a holiday destination would be aware of it already.

The 2 events you speak of - especially the Australian open - has plenty of downtime to showcase the city. When's the last time you saw the host city of a soccer friendly given any coverage at all? You get a few mentions and that's about it. Overseas networks aren't sending teams of people to the event and doing any puff pieces about local culture like they do for the other 2 events.

That's not to say $10 million is necessarily a bad investment, but the major benefit is from a short term tourism perspective. IMO the value from brand exposure for a city like Melbourne is very little.

I think you misread his comments. He said very few would be unaware of the existence of Melbourne - i.e the level of awareness of Melbourne being a major city in Australia will already be high. Seeing a few Melbourne signs on a soccer field won't do much for increasing awareness as everyone that would even consider Melbourne as a holiday destination would be aware of it already.

The 2 events you speak of - especially the Australian open - has plenty of downtime to showcase the city. When's the last time you saw the host city of a soccer friendly given any coverage at all? You get a few mentions and that's about it. Overseas networks aren't sending teams of people to the event and doing any puff pieces about local culture like they do for the other 2 events.

That's not to say $10 million is necessarily a bad investment, but the major benefit is from a short term tourism perspective. IMO the value from brand exposure for a city like Melbourne is very little.

and moreover, (speaking as someone who lives outside Australia) showing Melbourne with a soccer game is pretty much who gives a *... ie so Melbourne is just the same as every other western city we know of, and they play soccer. Nothing different, nothing novel, nothing to make me want to go there. I think its nice for Australian soccer fans and sports fans to enjoy a match like this, but this will have absolutely 0 visibility outside Australia, and if there is any its not exactly selling the country for what it is... it just appears as a euro-lite destination. People are much more interested in Australia for how we are different, not for playing host to other countries playing soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back