Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looked about right on TV pretty pathetic really.
BTW I thought that WSW were supposed to sellout Spotless they are that popular.
They tell all they show up win lose or draw no matter what

We were told they were the real team for the heartland and nobody up here wanted us.

And yet our crowds are higher there.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

SEN Radio Melb. Lyon/Watson Program 20.3

Mike Sheehan said "The AFLW has been the BEST (my emphasis) initiative in football, including the (recent -my words) expansion of the AFL". Later, he said that" it has more closely connected 50% of the population (ie women -my words) to football".

G. Lyon said, re female player growth "There will be problems with ground availability, change rooms, finding places to play, it's a juggernaut".
T Watson said, re Lyon's above comment "The State govt. will have to resolve the grounds & facilities issues".

I can attest the issue of finding sufficient grounds for playing & training in Melb., & sufficient female toilets, is becoming an issue now. This could become a "hot" code war between the AFL, FFA, ARU, &NRL - & eventually Councils & State Govts & schools (with unused ovals). How are scarce physical facilities & govt. funding to be allocated, if community AF clubs advise they require more facilities to meet the burgeoning demand of female football?

( I could have placed these comments under the Women's Football tab -but female grassroots AF, & its explosive growth, has transcended the issue of female AF alone. Female AF is/will become an AFL STRATEGIC consideration, will assist AF expansion in NSW & Qld., & become a cause of conflict between the 3 other football codes -& female sports also).

The AFL is getting regular, increased(previously very rare) off-season, media attention for the AFLW in NSW & Qld. -including the anti AF Syd. based & centric ABC & S(occer)B(roadcasting)Service. Female grassroots nos. are also growing strongly there, especially Qld -invaluable for expanding AF in the north.
Many women, IMO, in the nthn. media regard the AFLW approvingly as a "feminist advance".

Last edited:

SEN Radio Melb. Lyon/Watson Program 20.3

Mike Sheehan said "The AFLW has been the BEST (my emphasis) initiative in football, including the (recent -my words) expansion of the AFL". Later, he said that" it has more closely connected 50% of the population (ie women -my words) to football".

G. Lyon said, re female player growth "There will be problems with ground availability, change rooms, finding places to play, it's a juggernaut"
T Watson said, re Lyon's above comment "The State govt. will have to resolve the grounds & facilities issues".

I can attest the issue of finding sufficient grounds for playing & training in Melb., & sufficient female toilets, is becoming an issue now. This could become a "hot" code war between the AFL, FFA, ARU, &NRL- & eventually Councils & State Govts & schools (with unused ovals). How are scarce physical facilities & govt. funding to be allocated, if community AF clubs advise they require more facilities to meet the burgeoning demand of female football?

( I could have placed these comments under the Women's Football tab -but female grassroots AF, & its explosive growth, has transcended the issue of female AF. Female AF is/will become an AFL strategic consideration, will assist AF expansion in NSW & Qld., & become a cause of conflict between the codes).

This years participation figures - particularly club figures - are going to make for interesting reading across the board. I expect AFL funding for facilities will increase from the 3-4 million they spend annually on community facilities (not stadiums).

I dont see how the NRL can wait much longer before launching its own national comp after seeing the growth rates across the country for womens AFL either.

So the AFL should pass the NRL's Round 1 total before the start of Friday night's game, the Rounds 1 & 2 total early Saturday evening and the Rounds 1, 2 & 3 total mid Sunday.

This years participation figures - particularly club figures - are going to make for interesting reading across the board. I expect AFL funding for facilities will increase from the 3-4 million they spend annually on community facilities (not stadiums).

I dont see how the NRL can wait much longer before launching its own national comp after seeing the growth rates across the country for womens AFL either.
The NRL has recently stated it wants a female national RL comp. c 2022. I doubt it will eventuate.

RL & RU tackling is far more fierce (ie it is legal to push in the back, around the neck/over shoulder, be lifted & crashed into the ground -not head first, regular gangtackling etc.) than AF. Also, in RU & RL tackling occurs far more regularly than AF; & in RU scrums/rolling mauls/ lifting in the lineout are very prevalent, thus also requiring significant strength. The weight of RU & RL players are well above the weight of players in other sports.
For RU & RL strength is a far more crucial component to be a good player -cf AF, where football skill (hand & foot) is the most important component.

I do not believe large numbers of females want to play a sport where physical strength is of paramount importance, to be competitive; nor do they wish to do the required onerous & lengthy weight programs; nor do most wish to develop large biceps; nor do they wish to bulk-up, & increase their weight.

It should be noted there are C. 200,000+ females playing non-contact rugby touch/tag, popular for decades -mainly in NSW & Qld. schools.
Why aren't these clamouring to play CONTACT RU & RL?

In the very small no. of female adult contact RU & RL teams, why are women of Islander background over represented (cf population)?

The ARU created the Pearls in 2013, a female RU 7's team to compete at international matches & the 2016 Olympics. My understanding is most of its recruits came from non rugby sports -why?
The Pearls won a gold medal, & received much pre & post Olympic publicity since 2013. Why aren't there massive nos. of females enrolling to play contact (at jnr. or snr. community level) RU & RL, despite the recent RU & RL female recruitment promotional activities?

Newcastle/Hunter is true RL heartland - &, until recently, very barren for AF.
Why have 12 women's AF teams been created there since 2015 ie why not play contact RL?

Is there any very popular female sport which requires its players to have considerable strength?

Last edited:
So the AFL should pass the NRL's Round 1 total before the start of Friday night's game, the Rounds 1 & 2 total early Saturday evening and the Rounds 1, 2 & 3 total mid Sunday.

Well if the 400,000 the league is expecting turn up it should account for a good amount of round 4 as well :p

The NRL has recently stated it wants a female national RL comp. c 2022. I doubt it will eventuate.

My point is that im not sure how they can sit back and watch the AFLW and its effect on grassroots and do nothing.

I do not believe large numbers of females want to play a sport where physical strength is of paramount importance, to be competitive; nor do they wish to do the required onerous & lengthy weight programs; nor do most wish to develop large biceps; nor do they wish to bulk-up, & increase their weight.

Im not entirely sure thats needed either. Women have managed to play full contact LFL in the states and even in Aus for some time now without bulking up. I now some girls who play union in Sa that arent overly bulky either.

The other thing about the LFL is that a lot of the women were playing it only because there was no other contact sport they were allowed to play.

My point is that im not sure how they can sit back and watch the AFLW and its effect on grassroots and do nothing.

Im not entirely sure thats needed either. Women have managed to play full contact LFL in the states and even in Aus for some time now without bulking up. I now some girls who play union in Sa that arent overly bulky either.

The other thing about the LFL is that a lot of the women were playing it only because there was no other contact sport they were allowed to play.
The USA has a pop.of c. 310,000,000+. I suspect the no. of women (obviously no juniors in this "artificial" sport) in the VERY well publicised LFL would be less than 500.
Male NFL players are massive, more bulked up than the average RL & RU player.
The absence of bulked-up LFL players reinforces my view that, whilst they obviously are very competitive & wish to win, they don't want bulked-up, heavy physiques -& the vast majority of women would have this attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was busy on the weekend with work and sleep, so heres a big update lol.

AFL

A-league
NRL
Super-Rugby
General

The USA has a pop.of c. 310,000,000+. I suspect the no. of women (obviously no juniors in this "artificial" sport) in the VERY well publicised LFL would be less than 500.
Male NFL players are massive, more bulked up than the average RL & RU player.
The absence of bulked-up LFL players reinforces my view that, whilst they obviously are very competitive & wish to win, they don't want bulked-up, heavy physiques -& the vast majority of women would have this attitude.

That doesnt mean they wont play league or union if the opportunity presents itself.

A bit off-topic, but I think FTA TV in general is in big trouble in Oz and has been largely overlooked. You only have to look at TV Tonight’s ratings archives to see how much viewership has dropped off in the past few years. Especially on Friday and Saturday where apart from one or two shows virtually nothing rates what would’ve been considered adequate a few years ago.

Be interesting to see what Channel 10’s troubles (and possible takeover by News Ltd) means for the BBL.

AFL Womens

Full Season Ratings to date here.

A-league

2016-2017HALRatings_R23.jpg

Full Season Ratings are here.

AFC Champions League

Super Netball
Full season ratings here.

NRL

Super Rugby

EPL

Last edited:
Have had a look and found rugby league female participation numbers.

Queensland Rugby League (from QRL annual reports)
2016 - ???? juniors + 3832 seniors
2015 - 2787 juniors + 3182 seniors
2014 - 3821 (total)
2013 - 2341 (total)
2012 - 1904 (total)

NSWRL (from NSWRL annual reports)
2016 - 1600 (metro NSW) + ???? (regional NSW)
2015 - 1295 (metro NSW) + 5500 (regional NSW)
2014 - 850 (metro NSW) + 4294 (regional NSW)

Clearly a much lower base than the AFL.

Have had a look and found rugby league female participation numbers.

Queensland Rugby League (from QRL annual reports)
2016 - ???? juniors + 3832 seniors
2015 - 2787 juniors + 3182 seniors
2014 - 3821 (total)
2013 - 2341 (total)
2012 - 1904 (total)

NSWRL (from NSWRL annual reports)
2016 - 1600 (metro NSW) + ???? (regional NSW)
2015 - 1295 (metro NSW) + 5500 (regional NSW)
2014 - 850 (metro NSW) + 4294 (regional NSW)

Clearly a much lower base than the AFL.

The NRL have considerable work to do, if they are to achieve their aim of a national NRL women's RL comp. by 2022. I doubt their ambition will succeed for a long time. Women's contact RL has been played since 1993.
The ARU is well behind in women's 15 rugby, has very few teams, & the Aust. valiant Wallaroos team is regularly thrashed by NZ.
The ARU are successfully promoting women's 7's RU, following the success of the Pearls winning the Olympic Gold medal.

On the NSW Women's RL website, I noted c. 17 women's RL contact teams -mainly in Syd, a few in Newcastle & Wollongong.
There are only 2 small girls'comps -throughout all of NSW & the ACT, there are about 20 Jnr RL clubs offering RL for girls.

Some female RL contact teams in NSW & Qld. play with less than 13 per side -as low as 9 per side.
C. 1200 players in NSW?

SE Qld. has c.18 women's contact RL teams. The women have defeated NSW RL team for the last 16 years in a row.
Qld. women RL players, who are probably outnumbered by SE Qld. RL men by 10x, are apparently quite willing!
http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...s/news-story/8a694d2e568d5f2a3f95d7d98a3124de

I doubt all the NSW & Qld. Club RL young girls are playing full contact RL.

RL contact female nos. in NSW & Qld. comps. are inferior to female AF nos. in NSW & Qld. comps.(but female Touch/Tag Rugby far greater than AF). When the 2022 national women's RL comp. was announced in late 2016, there was much commentary that female contact RL was far behind females playing comp. AF now.

Also, your NSW figures for 2014 & 2015 are odd- regional nos. far out weigh metro (Syd), although Syd. has the majority of the pop.

Last edited:
AFL Womens

Full Season Ratings to date here.

A-league

2016-2017HALRatings_R23.jpg

Full Season Ratings are here.

AFC Champions League

Super Netball

NRL

Super Rugby
2017RugbyRatings_R4.jpg

EPL
RU is really struggling - low crowds, down a massive 24%; ratings very low, & softer about 6%.

IN 2016, official ARU stats. showed RU contact regd. nos. fell about 7.5% in Aust.(but good increases in non-contact RU versions; one-off RU "experiences" -eg Gala Days; female RU & popular RU 7's).

My understanding 2017 Syd. RU contact regd. numbers are continuing the long term trend, falling much worse than 7.5%.

Last edited:
Tuesday News Headlines – March 22nd, 2017
2016particpants_roymorgan-777x388.jpg

Posted By: The_Wookie March 22, 2017

AFL
A-league
NRL
Super Rugby
General

finals series will be interesting though.

Hoping if Sydney FC do get the hosting rights to the grand final, it gets played at ANZ.
This is the first season that's pretty much been over months in advance. Previous seasons it's come down to the last couple weeks.

WSW fans aren't turning up to Spotless. Don't blame them. Awful to watch the round ball code and woeful record there. If they can keep there 19k members next season that is a massive positive and proves people are waiting for the new Paramatta Stadium.

In the final series we have the potential for a Sydney Derby Semi Final and Melbourne Derby Grand Final or a Victory v Sydney Grand Final.

FIFA trying to break down the dictatorship that is the FFA meaning they've put $0 into the league second half of the season as all focus is on pleasing FIFA. An independent A-League couldn't come faster with links to the NPL then the league can finally get moving again.

It's an embarrassment that there is no FIFA international break this weekend. Victory will be playing there youth team they are that depleted. Straight after the farsical split round that's just happened. $30 to watch teenagers run around isn't a good look for the game.

This is the first season that's pretty much been over months in advance. Previous seasons it's come down to the last couple weeks.

WSW fans aren't turning up to Spotless. Don't blame them. Awful to watch the round ball code and woeful record there. If they can keep there 19k members next season that is a massive positive and proves people are waiting for the new Paramatta Stadium.

In the final series we have the potential for a Sydney Derby Semi Final and Melbourne Derby Grand Final or a Victory v Sydney Grand Final.

FIFA trying to break down the dictatorship that is the FFA meaning they've put $0 into the league second half of the season as all focus is on pleasing FIFA. An independent A-League couldn't come faster with links to the NPL then the league can finally get moving again.

It's an embarrassment that there is no FIFA international break this weekend. Victory will be playing there youth team they are that depleted. Straight after the farsical split round that's just happened. $30 to watch teenagers run around isn't a good look for the game.
Why did they have a split round? and even when they did, they still gave the WSW a sunday twilight game? it makes no sense.

cant wait for the FFA to lose control. i just hope they dont hinder the FFA Cup as retribution to the NPL clubs. That is the only good thing they have done in recent memory.

I think the competition from the AFL,NRL, and RU will hurt the A League Finals this year
All the sports in Melbourne have the F1 GP to contend with this weekend as well
That is the same as every year though. the only thing which has changed is the in-fighting at the top of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back