Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the competition from the AFL,NRL, and RU will hurt the A League Finals this year
I hear this every season and the last two seasons have had finals in April and it's been successful.

I think the competition from the AFL,NRL, and RU will hurt the A League Finals this year
All the sports in Melbourne have the F1 GP to contend with this weekend as well
It wont prevent the A-league to have a sell out grand final. Again Adelaide got 50,119 in the last grand final.

Thursday News Headlines – March 23rd, 2017
mostlikelytowatchafl_rm-750x437.jpg

Posted By: The_Wookie March 23, 2017

AFL
A-league
NRL
  • Wed STV – Queenslanders Only 52,000 League Life 47,000, NRL 360 43,000
Super Rugby
General

Thursday News Headlines – March 23rd, 2017
mostlikelytowatchafl_rm-750x437.jpg

Posted By: The_Wookie March 23, 2017

AFL
A-league
NRL
  • Wed STV – Queenslanders Only 52,000 League Life 47,000, NRL 360 43,000
Super Rugby
General

Roy Morgan's analyses are barely first year uni level - silly inferences and no insight

If you ask someone in Brisbane "which AFL team do you support", chances are a fair few of them will say the Lions of which a majority would probably be bigger supporters of the Broncos. Overlay that with (hopefully) the nadir of a long slow decline and "bingo" - turns out Lions are the least loyal supporters apparently

This forum won't be the same until Garlic Muncher's suspension is finished

Hi Garlic, if you're out there

Last edited:
Friday News Headlines – March 24th, 2017
carlvrichmondmcgcrowd-777x437.jpg

Posted By: The_Wookie March 24, 2017

AFL
NRL
Soccer00s
  • Thu Soccer00s – Iraq v Australia – 3,270 at PAS Stadium (Tehran)
Rugby
General

NRL
  • Thu NRL – Souths v Sydney at ANZ Stadium – no official crowd figures given.
All the Sydney NRL blowhards must be really embarrassed if they cant even post a crowd figure on the NRL website!
What I find interesting is the Sydney media absolutely flog RL to death esp the DT and still their crowds are woeful. Flogging a dead horse ?

Last edited:
Don't think this is an official figure, but SBS, the Australian and a few others are now reporting the crowd as 10,479.

Maybe the figure was queried by the NRL? Not sure.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/03/24/keary-beats-souths-and-their-mental-demons

Makes me glad the AFL showed restraint with Thursday night football. I like it as an event seven or so times a season, but having it nearly every round looks like it will wear thin with fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought they are slightly disappointing ratings for the AFL. Last year got 817k, though it was a closer match which I suspect effects the ratings in football perhaps more than other codes...

upload_2017-3-24_10-10-34.png

Don't think this is an official figure, but SBS, the Australian and a few others are now reporting the crowd as 10,479.

Maybe the figure was queried by the NRL? Not sure.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/03/24/keary-beats-souths-and-their-mental-demons

Makes me glad the AFL showed restraint with Thursday night football. I like it as an event seven or so times a season, but having it nearly every round looks like it will wear thin with fans.

You have to wonder if the NRL has put way too much weight on maximising its TV dollars in the shorter term to its long term detriment. The 6 oclock Friday game, particularly for Sydney games, seems almost like self-sabotage. Presumably Foxtel paid some premium for that game, but will it really be worth it in the long term?

Last edited:
You have to wonder if the NRL has put too way to much weight on maximising its TV dollars in the shorter term to its long term detriment. The 6 oclock Friday game, particularly for Sydney games, seems almost like self-sabotage. Presumably Foxtel paid some premium for that game, but will it really be worth it in the long term?

Agree. It seems wise of the AFL to place a priority on attendance. Low crowds feed on themselves, and may eventually have ramifications for ratings and the game more generally.

Maybe the NRL execs are thinking (i) they can get a bounce with crowds once the stadium refurbishments are done and build some momentum from there, and (ii) they will have greater control of the fixture (though not time slots) from next year onward, which would enable them to place their bigger match-ups in more popular time slots (at the cost of some ratings).

Seems a risk even allowing for stadium refurbishment. Then there's NSW governments' poor track record on following through with infrastructure promises.

Last edited:
You have to wonder if the NRL has put way too much weight on maximising its TV dollars in the shorter term to its long term detriment. The 6 oclock Friday game, particularly for Sydney games, seems almost like self-sabotage. Presumably Foxtel paid some premium for that game, but will it really be worth it in the long term?
it wanted the teevee dollars to match the afl's so it was squeezing every orange it could. AFL plans 30 years down the track, NRL doesnt. I reckon the early friday nrl game will create a reason for foxtel to flog its product to pubs - and good on them - but it just seems so detrimental to the overall health of their game.

Well you would think the majority of people who go to games would watch it on tv as well but many people who watch it on tv don't necessarily translate to attendance. I guess you do get the mass exposure but not the commitment. NRL have got it backwards I reckon. Then again their game is based on going backwards to go forward.

The NRL sold everything it could to get a $ figure near the AFL.
Their overall crowds may be affected a few k but not much more. Their crowds have always been pretty pathetic compared to the AFL dating back to the 60s

it wanted the teevee dollars to match the afl's so it was squeezing every orange it could. AFL plans 30 years down the track, NRL doesnt. I reckon the early friday nrl game will create a reason for foxtel to flog its product to pubs - and good on them - but it just seems so detrimental to the overall health of their game.

The NRL's strategy seems reactive and mainly focused on spoiling, with an eye to ratings especially in Sydney, even to the detriment of their own attendances.

Looking at the draw this round, for instance:

• Wests v Melbourne play the same time as Adelaide v GWS, presumably in the hope Melbourne viewers will watch the storm (with no Melbourne team in the AFL game) and western Sydney viewers will not be tempted to check out the GWS game.
  • Manly v Canterbury (two Sydney teams) are playing at the same time as Sydney v Port.
  • In QLD, Gold Coast v North Queensland is up against Gold Coast v Brisbane.
  • To a lesser extent, Souths v Easts (two Sydney teams) Thursday night was probably mostly about retaining Sydney viewers for the night.

As already noted, they do this despite the impact on their own attendances. Going to one of the swans games at the SCG last season, Easts were playing Manly (from memory) next door at the SFS, with both games at the same time. Outside the stadiums the NRL fans were so outnumbered you felt a bit sorry for them (after all, they are the fans who are actually committed enough to turn up to games). At the same time, though, it was obvious that the move was more about retaining TV viewers in Sydney.

No doubt the strategy has a degree of effectiveness in the short term, particularly in terms of Sydney TV ratings, but it doesn't really help the NRL move on to the front foot in growing its own league.

• Fri NRL Crowds: Penrith v Newcastle - 10,567 at Pepper Stadium
  • Fri NRL Crowds: Brisbane v Canberra - 29,370 at Suncorp Stadium
  • Fri AFL Crowd - Collingwood v Western Bulldogs - 66,254 at the MCG
  • Fri HAL Crowd - Western Sydney v Melbourne City - 10,204 at Spotless Stadium
  • Fri Rugby Crowd - Rebels v Waratahs - No crowd given for Aami Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back