Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hangers on and socialites are the people who attend school rugby matches to be seen, to network etc. Nothing wrong with that, but AFL serves that purpose better then rugby league. IMO there are more hangers on and socialites then rugby union players.

Rugby Unions popularity in australia continues to fade, but in the big scheme of rugby, I dont think world rugby gives a s**t.

There is too much water under the bridge and differences now for the too codes to merge, even though it would make sense from a business point of view. The differences are far far larger then those of the different Victorian / australian football leagues I have read about on this site.

Keep in mind, rugby union and rugby league didn't have to split, if rugby union allowed the northern clubs to pay there players. Despite the obvious advantages of both codes sticking together and pooling there resources for the betterment of one rugby football code they have actively gone the other way through- out there history, from france in the 1950s, to the issues SA league has today. There is example after example of mostly ru trying to eliminate league completely (not through fair market popularity means, just through skullduggery and corruption)
You have made some interesting comments.

If RU & RL regd. male contact nos. continue to decline, I think the historic enmity will be overlooked by their respective authorities in Aust. -& some type of agreement or merger will occur, to ensure their survival & prosperity. It would be a win-win for both.

Do you think the AVERAGE RU & RL fan is really that interested/concerned about their historic rivalry/ "skullduggery"?
Surely, for the average fan, their main concern is that their preferred version of the game is able to prosper. A compromise would be reached (elite domestic comp prof. RL played solely in Aust.; & Aust. elite prof. RU played solely against other countries).

How much more would their regd. male contact nos. need to drop - before some sort of merger/compromise/"united front" is seriously considered by either RU or RL, or both?

RU will almost certainly be first in having to decide on this crucial issue, perhaps in 10 years+.
If the ARU becomes insolvent (which some are speculating, if Super Rugby Foxtel rights are re-negotiated down, and the collapsing ratings & crowds continue), the ARU may have no choice.
My understanding is that Super Rugby crowds are failing to attract proportionate nos.of young fans ie an ageing demo. mainly.
Survival can make the most unpalatable decisions, palatable.

Even RU media outlets, which are usually RU "boosters", are openly admitting "the game is in serious trouble"; there is "a disaffected rugby community".

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/austral...ht-people-weve-just-got-to-pick-up-the-phone/

Last edited:
You have made some interesting comments.

If RU & RL regd. male contact nos. continue to decline, I think the historic enmity will be overlooked by their respective authorities in Aust. -& some type of agreement or merger will occur, to ensure their survival & prosperity. It would be a win-win for both.

Do you think the AVERAGE RU & RL fan is really that interested/concerned about their historic rivalry/ "skullduggery"?
Surely, for the average fan, their main concern is that their preferred version of the game is able to prosper. A compromise would be reached.

How much more would their regd. male contact nos. need to drop - before some sort of merger/compromise/"united front" is seriously considered by either RU or RL, or both?

RU will almost certainly be first in having to decide on this crucial issue, perhaps in 10 years+.
If the ARU becomes insolvent (which some are speculating, if Super Rugby Foxtel rights are re-negotiated down, and the collapsing ratings & crowds continue), the ARU may have no choice.
My understanding is that Super Rugby crowds are failing to attract proportionate nos.of young fans ie an ageing demo. mainly.
Survival can make the most unpalatable decisions, palatable.

Even RU media outlets, which are usually RU "boosters", are openly admitting "the game is in serious trouble"; there is "a disaffected rugby community".

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/austral...ht-people-weve-just-got-to-pick-up-the-phone/

The ARU can shrink into non existence or it can grow into the number 1 sport in the country. Thats up to the ARU.

If Rugby League was turned into Rugby Union, my interest in watching that game would dramatically decline from where it is now.

Similarly, if Rugby Union was turned in to Rugby League, I imagine the remaining union fans interest in the game would dramatically decline.

It is not a matter of just changing the rules whereby putting red with blue and coming up with purple and everyone loves purple.

Look at the farce that is international rules ie hybrid aus and gaelic footy.

In terms of merging the community, I think you underestimate the enmity between the communities, in some areas its not so bad / non existant and the rise of AFL is certainly lessening it, but it is still there for a lot of communities.

Interesting that the mighty Broncos could only pull 21,000 last night in Brisbane Its even more surprising for one team town
Not that long ago they were averaging 35,000
Just goes to show how massive the AFL crowds are in Melbourne considering there are 9 clubs + Geelong in the one market!
Both the Adelaide and Perth clubs are better than the Broncos and Perth crowds and will be much bigger once the 65,000 stadium comes on stream next year.

And any number of sports that would have to lie down and die for it to happen.
Perhaps, but who knows what the future will bring.

Perhaps nobody will be interested in violent sports, perhaps there will be more interest in violent sports.

Perhaps rugby union will be able to convince everyone that scrums / resets / line outs / rucks and mauls are the most entertaining form of football.

Interesting that the mighty Broncos could only pull 21,000 last night in Brisbane Its even more surprising for one team town
Not that long ago they were averaging 35,000
Just goes to show how massive the AFL crowds are in Melbourne considering there are 9 clubs + Geelong in the one market!
Both the Adelaide and Perth clubs are better than the Broncos and Perth crowds and will be much bigger once the 65,000 stadium comes on stream next year.

Was it raining up there last night? That seems unusually low for them.

I think Thursday night live against FTA will start to wear against getting decent crowds.

Not that the NRL appear to care.

I think Thursday night live against FTA will start to wear against getting decent crowds.

Not that the NRL appear to care.

IMO that is just another weak excuse trotted out by RL fans, the NRL would be desperate to get as many to games as possible.

IMO the RL demographic in general just do not give a stuff about attending.

Weather, traffic, the NRL itself, it is everyone and everything rather than the fans.

Fri NRL - Souths v Manly - 10,594 at Allianz Stadium
Fri NRL - Cowboys v Eels - 14,247 at 1300 Smiles Stadium
Fri AFL - Giants v Bulldogs - 14,048 at UNSW Canberra oval

You would think the NRL would have to be worried about a crowd of only 10,500 with two Sydney teams playing but then again they have all that lovely TV money to prop them up.
Looks like the 1.5 billion the NSW govt want to squander on new stadiums will be a waste of taxpayers money when they can only fill a current stadium 20%!

You would think the NRL would have to be worried about a crowd of only 10,500 with two Sydney teams playing but then again they have all that lovely TV money to prop them up.
Looks like the 1.5 billion the NSW govt want to squander on new stadiums will be a waste of taxpayers money when they can only fill a current stadium 20%!

Agree but by the same token, Townsville and indeed northern qld are crazy about rugby league.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have just looked at NRL crowds at http://afltables.com/rl/seas/2017.html#1

This season so far they have had 14 games where the crowd has been between 10-11k at games ( including last night) , yet by the same token only 2 games where the crowd has been in the 9k range and one of them was in NZ.

Some might say this is the natural crowd for RL, but i am constantly amazed how many games just seem to make it over the 10k mark.

Last edited:
I have just looked at NRL crowds at http://afltables.com/rl/seas/2017.html#1

This season so far they have had 14 games where the crowd has been between 10-11k at games ( including last night) , yet by the same token only 2 games where the crowd has been in the 9k range and one of them was in NZ.

Some might say this is the natural crowd for RL, but i am constantly amazed how many games just seem to make it over the 10k mark.

Something ive been cooking up for the AFL/NRL seasons

2017v2016NRLCrowdspread.jpg

Fri TV #NRL #NRLCowboysEels *updated* Nine/9Gem 699k: Metro 414k (Syd 225k Bri 173k) Regional 285k
Fri TV #AFL #AFLGiantsDogs Seven 491k (Mel 369k Ade 122k) 7mate 190k (Syd 42k Bri 34k Per 114k) = 681k

NRL just ahead but no AFL regionals yet

Fri TV #NRL #NRLCowboysEels *updated* Nine/9Gem 699k: Metro 414k (Syd 225k Bri 173k) Regional 285k
Fri TV #AFL #AFLGiantsDogs Seven 491k (Mel 369k Ade 122k) 7mate 190k (Syd 42k Bri 34k Per 114k) = 681k

NRL just ahead but no AFL regionals yet

I'd exxpect higher than normal relative regionals because of the game being in Canberra....should be 900 fta and certainly over 1.2m with the 326k on Foxtel.

Edit: also, across stv and 7mate, the afl pulled 124k in Sydney and Brisbane while the nrl game got just 46k in the three southern capitals.

124k is more than the majority of Friday night a league games got this season nationally with combined stv and fta

Last edited:
Believe nothing without a source :p

The A League wouldnt be happy with only 21,000 for the Sydney V Perth final at SFS and even if todays Victory game gets a full house at AAMI it will only be 30,000 obviously with the AFL now using Docklands and the G for H&A matches today that was not an option for the soccer.

The A League wouldnt be happy with only 21,000 for the Sydney V Perth final at SFS and even if todays Victory game gets a full house at AAMI it will only be 30,000 obviously with the AFL now using Docklands and the G for H&A matches today that was not an option for the soccer.

Pretty sure they had Etihad booked for Friday night if it was a derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back