Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Sydney FC was asked which stadium would they prefer as they won the right to host the final. Sydney Football Stadium was the choice. The home ground of Sydney FC. Pretty simple to understand isn't it?

They haven't lost a match there compared to ANZ where they played 3 games. A loss, a draw and a win. Melbourne Victory have played 2 games at ANZ for a draw and a win. It becomes a neutral venue, eliminating the home ground advantage.

SFS has now hosted 4 finals in the past. Attendance isn't everything which you seem to be obsessed with.

Im afaid its a very important part of sports entertainment that feeds into all manner of things like extra cash income,sponserships and the general perception esp on TV that this is a popular sport I should be interested in.

You play the GF at the biggest and best stadium unless you think you wont fill it!

Very unfair IMHO that the top team picks the venue - then again its is Aussie soccer who couldnt organize a root in a brothel!

Imagine the screams if the top team in the AFL could choose their own stadium as the GF venue? Adelaide,Perth,Brisbane, Sydney and all the teams that play at Docklands anyone?
Yes the teams that play out of the MCG have a slight advantage but they dont play in every GF either.

Last edited:
1) No rookies whatsoever included (their profiles are listed separately on the club websites), only senior listed players included.
2) For Collingwood, only 2 out of the 10 mentioned were new recruits (Brown & Daicos). The remaining 8 have all played/play in the senior team and all made their debuts prior to this season.

To sum up, from the AFL player profiles on the club websites, #80kg senior regular players are not uncommon or unusual in the AFL. As previously stated, I don't know near enough about RL to comment on their sizes/weights.

Anyway, if the size of players isn't any sort problem in RL participation rates falling, as ringleader and co are strongly stating here, and lightweight little blokes have no problems playing RL at any level of the game (despite what Jacks father amongst others have said), then what is the problem causing the decline in participation?

it is what it has been since the AFL decided to spend hundreds of millions on northern expansion. Its the same problem that guys like Phil Gould have been going on for years - theres a lack of funding, promotion and know how in NRL HQ when it comes to development programmes. The AFL is spending big - with some evidence that it might be begining to come to fruition, while the NRL simply hasnt had the will or the funds to do the same until more recently. Remember as well that the AFL began this in the late 90s when it overhauled AFL NSW/ACT.

Theres also the slight matter of Touch versions of the game taking the young and the female competitors sllightly out of the main stream - especially in schools.

Im afaid its a very important part of sports entertainment that feeds into all manner of things like extra cash income,sponserships and the general perception esp on TV that this is a popular sport I should be interested in.

You play the GF at the biggest and best stadium unless you think you wont fill it!

Very unfair IMHO that the top team picks the venue - then again its its Aussie soccer who couldnt organize a root in a brothel!

Imagine the screams if the top team in the AFL could choose their own stadium as the GF venue? Adelaide,Perth,Brisbane, Sydney and all the teams that play at Docklands anyone?
Yes the teams that play out of the MCG have a slight advantage but they dont play in every GF either.
Lol. Unfair the best team all year gets the choice? Over the VFL clubs who get it every year no matter what?

9ffb46323c52e51bf7d92be6a05bbd8f.gif

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

it is what it has been since the AFL decided to spend hundreds of millions on northern expansion. Its the same problem that guys like Phil Gould have been going on for years - theres a lack of funding, promotion and know how in NRL HQ when it comes to development programmes. The AFL is spending big - with some evidence that it might be begining to come to fruition, while the NRL simply hasnt had the will or the funds to do the same until more recently. Remember as well that the AFL began this in the late 90s when it overhauled AFL NSW/ACT.

Theres also the slight matter of Touch versions of the game taking the young and the female competitors sllightly out of the main stream - especially in schools.

Lol, so it's the AFL's fault?

Your answer does not mention the weight issue, which from many accounts is a major issue in the declining participation rates amongst junior RL.

You just mention the AFL spending.

Do you have any proof that the AFL spending money on the Northern states and in particular the heartland of WS has lead to a participation decline in junior RL to any great extent ?.

Just exactly how many female competitors have been playing RL and have now changed to touch ?

Lol, so it's the AFL's fault?

Your answer does not mention the weight issue, which from many accounts is a major issue in the declining participation rates amongst junior RL.

Sorry I dont subscribe to your pet theory, and I didnt feel the need to include it in my answer to someone who didnt ask about size to begin with.

You just mention the AFL spending.

Thats because everyone ELSE mentions the AFL spend on development and the NRLs lack thereof as a reason for the drop in numbers. The fact that you dont see the AFL and its spending on development programs as relevant is laughable. Its been brought up time and time again by Western Sydney NRL clubs as a reason for the drop - they simply cannot compete with AFL spending on auskick and other porgrams.

Do you have any proof that the AFL spending money on the Northern states and in particular the heartland of WS has lead to a participation decline in junior RL to any great extent ?

I have as much proof as you do of a mass exodus of league talent due to the dreaded polynesians.

There are FAR more articles with complaints about a lack of grassroots funding for the NRL - and by a wider variety of authors - than there are about any fears about the size of Polynesians in the game.

Just exactly how many female competitors have been playing RL and have now changed to touch ?

Who said anyone changed? I said the option takes them out of mainstream rugby league - where they arent counted in league numbers.

Sorry I dont subscribe to your pet theory, and I didnt feel the need to include it in my answer to someone who didnt ask about size to begin with.

Thats because everyone ELSE mentions the AFL spend on development and the NRLs lack thereof as a reason for the drop in numbers. The fact that you dont see the AFL and its spending on development programs as relevant is laughable. Its been brought up time and time again by Western Sydney NRL clubs as a reason for the drop - they simply cannot compete with AFL spending on auskick and other porgrams.

I have as much proof as you do of a mass exodus of league talent due to the dreaded polynesians.

There are FAR more articles with complaints about a lack of grassroots funding for the NRL - and by a wider variety of authors - than there are about any fears about the size of Polynesians in the game.

Who said anyone changed? I said the option takes them out of mainstream rugby league - where they arent counted in league numbers.

Lol, my pet theory that there aren't as many little guys playing in the NRL as previously ?.

My pet theory that parents take their kids out of RL because of lopsided weights between kids ?.

Ok then ...lol

I guess all the RL people are wrong that agree with those points are and you and ringleader and Auckland mal are right.

BTW i noticed the standard attempted racial slur, surely you are above that ?

Last edited:
Lol, my pet theory that there aren't as many little guys playing in the NRL as previously ?.

Yes your pet theory.

My pet theory that parents take their kids out of RL because of lopsided weights between kids ?.

No doubt some are. Just as kids are regularly pulled out of australian football clubs because of contact or injury fears - and have been since i played u14s at least. Why do you think soccer has such high participation?

I guess all the RL people are wrong that agree with those points are and you and ringleader and Auckland mal are right.

"all the RL people".

People disagree. Grow up.

But why the sad predictable squealing in the lead up about the state of the pitch? They had an alternative
Because everyone wants a perfect carpet to play soccer on. Sydney saw the surface as advantage them because they've played on it all year where as Victory are spoilt with AAMI and Etihad. Most of the "sad squealing" came from the Media and State Government. Rightly so too. You pay top dollar and get a botched product (not just for Grand Final). If you hired out something and it was not up to standard/worth the money you're paying you'd "squeal" too as you're not getting value for money.

ANZ isn't much better too.

Very unfair IMHO that the top team picks the venue - then again its its Aussie soccer who couldnt organize a root in a brothel!

1) Every Grand Final has Sold Out with exception of 2008 as it was hosted at a natural venue. (Newcastle v Central Coast - 36k @ SFS).

2) After 27 games the top team earns the right to host the final if they make it. End of Story. Don't see how that's got anything to do with not being able to get a root on a brothel. Its been very successful in every Grand Final.

3) This is the A-League. Not AFL.

lol. there is so much wrong in this post i dont even know where to start.

they should obviously play the NBA finals at a huge gridiron arena. just think of the huge attendance!!!!!!!!!! stuff the season, stuff the fact that they play 82 games to determine who should play what games at home. stuff the fact that people like the arena they have played all their games on. Our Game demands greater attendances. that is what your argument is. hopefully, you can see its flaws.

there is a lot more to life than just attendances. there is the spectacle of a packed stadium, the wishes of the fans or the legitimacy of the competition. and in some cases, clubs can make more money on a lesser attendance in a smaller venue than a bigger attendance at a larger venue. North made more "profit" on 10K in tassie than their 15K a couple of weeks previous. i know, it is a shock.

i wish the AFL would do what the FFA did. even if it is just for the finals series itself. no more Bulldogs v Adelaide at the G, costing the bulldogs a legit home advantage. more games down at Geelong. i am still annoyed about that GWS game we had to play out in the sticks. clubs dont play a whole season to just get ripped off for "attendances" on afl directive *

Because everyone wants a perfect carpet to play soccer on. Sydney saw the surface as advantage them because they've played on it all year where as Victory are spoilt with AAMI and Etihad. Most of the "sad squealing" came from the Media and State Government. Rightly so too. You pay top dollar and get a botched product (not just for Grand Final). If you hired out something and it was not up to standard/worth the money you're paying you'd "squeal" too as you're not getting value for money.

ANZ isn't much better too.

Yep, the soccer media. That's who I was referring to were doing the "sad squealing" like they usual do. Sydney FC have opted in to a contract to play there. What does the contract specify in terms of pitch standards? They did not book the stadium ahead of time and so another tenant had it booked the previous morning. The problem with the squealing is the ridiculous assumption that soccer "deserves better" without needing to pay for it....and of course lashing out anyone perceived to be not making way

Yep, the soccer media. That's who I was referring to were doing the "sad squealing" like they usual do. Sydney FC have opted in to a contract to play there. What does the contract specify in terms of pitch standards? They did not book the stadium ahead of time and so another tenant had it booked the previous morning. The problem with the squealing is the ridiculous assumption that soccer "deserves better" without needing to pay for it....and of course lashing out anyone perceived to be not making way

Actually they had the stadium booked and they are supposed to provide a playable surface not a cow paddock.

Actually they had the stadium booked and they are supposed to provide a playable surface not a cow paddock.

Cool, so you're across the contract or are you just talking out your hat? Are the words "cow paddock" in the contract? I bet you the pitch standards in the contract are really vague and "best intentions" orientated. Higher, more prescriptive standards would have cost more. Likewise their "booking" clearly didn't block out other codes selfishly booking out the previous day.

Again, the old adage "you get what you paid for" seems to be beyond the code that has never paid its own way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I "attack" this kind of cringeworthy crap from Australian soccer types including the implicit comparison between the a league and the afl. Port are trying to make a buck in china, good on them. Apart from Koche, nobody has made any claims about what it means. What is true though is there is no greater football league outside of Europe and the us than the afl (people could debate Brasil). Asking a Chinese soccer player whether he's heard of the port game like it means anything just screams australian soccer's cultural cringing inferiority complex...

When have I "attacked" the Socceroos?
Did I come around here and said the A-league will be bigger than the AFL? Would love you to find any posts on that.

You are soccer lover and forever forlornly promoting the soccer on an AFL forum can you tell me why when there was NO RL on in Sydney last weekend the soccer GF was not played at ANZ cap 83,000?
NSW was doing railway maintenance was a major reason. Trying to sell out an 83,000 seat arena in 6 days is a big ask though

Did I come around here and said the A-league will be bigger than the AFL? Would love you to find any posts on that.

Which would be relevant if I had accused you of doing that. It was you making the accusations

You clearly haven't said that. You are not representative of every australian soccer fan

Ok then ...lol

BTW i noticed the standard attempted racial slur, surely you are above that ?
I would appreciate it if you PM me.

This is one of the craziest things i have read. Outrage and confusion that the top team gets to host the final?
You have been brainwashed by the AFL.

1) Every Grand Final has Sold Out with exception of 2008 as it was hosted at a natural venue. (Newcastle v Central Coast - 36k @ SFS).

2) After 27 games the top team earns the right to host the final if they make it. End of Story. Don't see how that's got anything to do with not being able to get a root on a brothel. Its been very successful in every Grand Final.

In small stadiums btw how did it rate on FTA TV? Cos thats where the big bucks are made.

Oh I thought by now soccer was to be the #1 sport in the country The SFS only holds 44,000 If the soccer mob want to be the #1 code then they should have played the game at the biggest stadium in Sydney not the rundown second rate one.

I think it is because the FFA has been forced to make a compromise to look like real Aussie sport and have copied the AFL and NRL model
Soccer around the world dont have GFs usually the top team at the end of the season is the champion team There are no playoffs

Why dosent English soccer the father of Australian Soccer shift the EFL and FA Cup finals to other stadiums instead of Wembley?

Y

"all the RL people".

People disagree. Grow up.

I actually don't disagree with the whole weight and size issue is a problem for RL and RU at junior level and I'm 100% confident I've acknowledged that in the past, I just choose not to post about it endlessly. Does Muncher and his mate really think these blokes weighed 80kg as kaypee put it at 10 years old? Of course they didn't. They are, for all intents and purposes, small men who now play Rugby league at the highest level and who didn't let their size hinder them along the way. They simply put in the hard work that's required by any sportsman/woman to reach their goal. That just happened to include putting on weight and muscle.

WHAT racial slur? ffs. Oh the dreaded polynesians - the same ones you have gone on and on about. Riiiight.

Actually i have just gone back over the last 3 pages and not once have i mentioned anything about Polynesians - not once, but you have, the link below i commented on does but all i ever talked about was weight issues.

I was responding to a link from a poster, a link was initially supplied by you.

The only person who mentioned race out of myself and you was you.

Here is part of the link you supplied VV

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d/news-story/eb3faaad40322e22d3da4ffbef41dc9f

THE SIZE ISSUE

Rugby league has had a huge influx of Polynesian players in the last decade. They are bigger, stronger and more powerful than their caucasian rivals in their early teens.

Even in Under 13s, some boys weigh over 100kg and compete against rivals less than half their body weight.

“The minimal contact of the touch game is appealing to the parents.”

It’s why rugby league is trialling pilot programs to play competitions based on weight rather than age.

“We did a study 18 months ago about kids leaving the game and the size difference was a concern for parents,” Trodden said.

So you vehemently disagree with my alleged pet theory about weight issues in RL, yet that same pet theory as you condescendingly put it is the same theory that the NRL holds, actually it is not a theory, it is a fact according to them.

I guess that makes you some sort of guru that you know more than anyone else, you and ringleader that is.

Actually i have just gone back over the last 3 pages and not once have i mentioned anything about Polynesians - not once, but you have, the link below i commented on does but all i ever talked about was weight issues.

I didnt just pull it out of my backside. You may not have specifically bought it up in the last three pages, but you have a number of times before.

March 2
The amazing natural talent of players of Polynesian heritage has seen their presence in Rugby League increase from 1.8% in 1985 to over 40% in 2015

http://exerstend.com/support-our-indigenous-rugby-league-talent/

That claim if true is an Incredible % increase.

You would have to conclude that the % will continue to increase no doubt at the expense of the traditional demos, whether that is worrying for head office is something i don't know.

Whether this has implications in the future for community grass roots RL or even family or generational support for the game is another issue IMO.

March 9
It's not something new and it is not something that IMO that they can turn around, it has something to do with changing demos, changing attitudes, the Polynesian influence at junior level and probably a few other things.

Feb 26
Nigh impossible for Rugby to break out of the demo it has cemented itself in, the polynesian influence scares the so called whitebread parents, but are needed to confront the might of the all blacks etc.

Lets not also note that the "appealing nature of touch" part backs up my earlier assertion.

I guess that makes you some sort of guru that you know more than anyone else, you and ringleader that is.

Seriously? What are you? 12? I dont have to agree with you. Rugby league people dont have to agree with you. No one has to agree with you. It doesnt make anyone a know it all.

Note: Ive had it with this thread. Closed and referred to admin for review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back