Not open for further replies.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
I know its a running joke, but its not a bad destination.
Blues as well. Would have cripps, kennedy and hewett doing the tough inside work. Two decent key forward targets. He's bound to hit one of them
Midfield is pretty set. His overinflated contract is almost a bigger turn-off than his ability. That's a no from me.

He had his chance. Certain the players wouldn't want him.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Its funny how just about every credentialed expert says we have a pretty good list.

What do you mean by good list?

I'll agree the media pile-on is way over the top at the moment, but your list certainly isn't good.

It's not a top 8 list based on talent.
Your youth isn't much to ride home about.
There's a dearth of leadership in the senior group, and doesn't seem to be much coming through.
Senior players are below average and some drastically overpaid (Shiel).

Your list is at the very start of it's rebuild, there are many years ahead before it'll be good.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Some supporters had Essendon finishing top 4 this year. Ridiculous

No one can con a supporter base like Dodoro.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, get SOS in to sort the list out. Strip it back and have a proper go. They could do worse. They have done for 20 odd years.

Not one Essendon supporter thought
they will finish top 4 and certainly didn’t buy Malthouses they can win the flag

SOS the list manager that Carlton sacked? No thanks

If we are going to replace Dodo it has to be one of Melbourne,Brisbane’s,Sydney’s draft guru

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
What do you mean by good list?

I'll agree the media pile-on is way over the top at the moment, but your list certainly isn't good.

It's not a top 8 list based on talent.
Your youth isn't much to ride home about.
There's a dearth of leadership in the senior group, and doesn't seem to be much coming through.
Senior players are below average and some drastically overpaid (Shiel).

Your list is at the very start of it's rebuild, there are many years ahead before it'll be good.
Perkins
Hobbs
Cox
Reid
Ridley
Martin
Jones
Bryan
Draper

But yeah we have no talent. It’s not a complete bust the list like majority claim we just need to add more

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Perkins
Hobbs
Cox
Reid
Ridley
Martin
Jones
Bryan
Draper

But yeah we have no talent. It’s not a complete bust the list like majority claim we just need to add more

I didn't say it had no talent, just that it wasn't good right now (comparing to other teams).

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of Essendons list, but from what I know that list is ok, certainly enough to work with.

You need to add a whole lot more though imo. How do you do it though? Who has currency that you'd be willing to part with that could net you some 1st round picks? I really think you need to hit the reset button and build around the list you've provided. It probably means some more short-term pain, but would be worth it.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Perkins
Hobbs
Cox
Reid
Ridley
Martin
Jones
Bryan
Draper

There have always been talented players. Just need a core group of players (spine + genuine mids) taken within 3 years of each other to form the basis to build around. I don't know whether that's been obtained yet.

dktm

All Australian
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Despite the running joke with their age targeting, I genuinely think Cats would genuinely look at him if he’s on the table. I can’t see him desiring a move to a rebuilding side. Maybe the Tigers look at him.

Blues desperately need key position players and rucks. So I can’t seem them targeting shiel types.
not an icebergs chance in hell the Tigers look at sheil after the public sook fest he and Mark williams ran against Richmond when he lied about Cotchin concussing him when it was actually Astbury

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Unbelievable this bloke is still in the job. Is his contract ending this year? If not, just pay him out because he’s done nothing despite winning grade week every year for the last decade
I’ve been wanting him gone for years.

If Shiel gets traded becuase it’s been a failure there is no way Dodoro survives

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
best list manager job in football. there is no chance he would want to go to Essendon and not have a free swing or two every draft.
Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who on Essendons list has any trade currency?

Draper, maybe, but he's almost untouchable.

Wright will go nowhere.

Merrett, but not a lot.

Parrish, Stringer might be rated internally. Elsewhere?

Is Walla going to play again?

Any bids on who you'd like to see at your club?

I don't know about personally at my club, but yes Draper looks pretty good and Wright is obviously a functional KPF now. It wasn't long ago Merrett looked elite, and while Parish has a bit of Tom Mitchell about him in terms of high disposal count/typically low damage - that's probably at least partially the system/game plan because he's shown ability to go forward and be more destructive.

Of the players you haven't mentioned, I personally think Ridley is shaping to be a very good player and so is Perkins. I don't think any of them will be available as you'll be building around those players but there are a number of pretty good players on the list.

I've thought for years that Essendon's main issue was inside mid/contested players. Get a couple of players who can win the ball in tight and use Parish and Merrett more on the outside. Make two-way running a non-negotiable (it should be in every team anyway). The draft capital spent on Stringer, Saad and Shiel in particular when none of them filled that gap was a list management error - which is obvious now it's played out but was fairly predictable at the time.

You wouldn't want to use up significant draft capital on one player given the holes on the list, so I think it's unlikely there's another Dunkley bid or similar. As a couple of other posters have said I'd be looking at free agents who can fill those positions and draft best available for at least another year.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Taking a dispassionate view of our list teams efforts on the current list (ignoring historic list builds)

Positives
Net gain from Daniher leaving. We got a younger KPF who is a more reliable kick and stronger mark. Less flashy, more consistent
Also added Perkins. Who is looking a gun competitive fwd/mid.

Draper/Bryan - both young rucks, but developing in the AFL. Less ? on the ruck dept moving forward.

Hobbs, Reid & Martin as sub 10 gamers are looking very composed at AFL level.

2x AA midfielders in Parish and Merrett who are still young. See below re: Stringer and his role with these two

Watches
Cox - top 10 talent but looking shot of confidence and not really clear where we see him in the squad plans. Its year 2...I'd love to ask what the thinking was on drafting him for us. What piece of the puzzle is he?
Jones - Shaping as our CHF. Injuries a concern
CHB - Is it Cox or one of Brand, Eyre, McBride? or none? it's not Laverde. He's playing too undersized
Small forwards - Tippa likely retires. So we're left with Snelling, Guelfi & Tex Wanganeen...but also have Davey as a 1st rd father son this year.
Stringer - the role he played in 2021 was huge for Merrett and Parish and severely missed this year. But he's getting injury prone, older and has never been able to do it as his main role.
McGrath - looks a gun defender. Yes, we spent pick 1 on him, but can't let that influence now. Not getting the pick back. If he's better of HBF or pushing back from a wing to play as a small defender, then do it.

Issues
Midfield - incredibly unbalanced and lacks pure competitive, tackling, blocking options. All 4 of our mids are forward runners.

Spine - its young and you'd only bank on 2MP at this stage. If Jones remains injury prone, none of the CHB options come on & Reid is a flash in the pan, we're in trouble.

Leadership - very shallow....almost non-existent. Merrett is next captain by default. McGrath behind him. Hobbs is touted.

Competitiveness - too conditional. Swans, Dockers & Cats games should sound alarms when you consider we collapsed against the very standards/cultures we should be instilling. We don't have many up for the contact, the contest, etc. As others have pointed out, we're a nice club and easy to play against. Adrian loves the quote "fine young man".......I feel that sums our list up for the most part.

Turnover. more than half the list is out of contract this year. That's a lot without a lot of noise around any of them. Which says to me we have a lot of players close to the end, or too unknown as quantities.

Depth - VFL is last. zero mids, small forwards or KPF's coming through. host of projects and young kids who seem to all be on the defensive side. There is one spot at CHB (or FB) for Brand, Eyre, Cox, Stewart, Zerk-Thatcher or McBride. Surely one or two of those spots could have been on a mid or some small forwards.

Projects - we have too many of them for a side with a lot of holes.

Overall quality. There's a good 24 players on our list I wouldn't wager any money will be there in 2 years time. Not sure how that compares, but that doesn't sound good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back