Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy gets it.

Many draft watchers said that Aaron Fracis was the most talented in his age group, we snagged him at pick 6. We have arguarbly ruined him with a myriad of excuses for how poor we have developed him.

Yep. He was one I was thinking of. McGrath is a not a bust and is obviously a good player but in a different program I think he would be better.

Come on man, don't be jealous. You had your chance on Good Friday and your club didn't show up let alone your supporters.

Meh, two coaches ago.

You enjoy your home and away blockbusters and finals humiliations.

Jye Caldwell is 183cm and 82kgs, he's not the big bodied inside beast Essendon have been needing for a number of years. They had the chance to grab one but Dodoro was concerned about "winning the deal" than actually making the list better, which brings us back to the OP.

By Dodoro's own admission, he wouldn't himself have accepted what he offered for Dunkley. The fact they didn't grab anyone capable of playing a similar role is a massive failure for not having a genuine plan B.

Essendon talking the player into leaving but not being willing to pay the price to get the deal done.

Im sure that if Dodoro had of known how little the Dogs were actually willing to let Josh go he wouldn't have bothered.
He offered a deal that by his own admission he wouldn't have taken.

If anything even close to Dylan Shiel's value (for example) was offered a deal could have been brokered, even accounting for Shiel being OOC and Dunley having two years remaining on his contract.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
He offered a deal that by his own admission he wouldn't have taken.

If anything even close to Dylan Shiel's value (for example) was offered a deal could have been brokered, even accounting for Shiel being OOC and Dunley having two years remaining on his contract.

Power wanted two firsts (8 + our 2021 first, likely top 5 selection), significantly more value than what eve Jeremy Cameron went for (draft points index wise).

Shiel (correct me if I'm wrong here) went for picks 9 + 14 and a second coming back to Essendon. I doubt the Dogs would have parted with any selections coming back with Josh (second or third rounders) to even the ledger which makes me content that Dodoro did the right thing. Josh is a good little player but that bounty Sammy Power was requesting is saved only for the best of the best and whilst Josh may be trending upwards, he is not in the top echelon of players.

Power wanted two firsts (8 + our 2021 first, likely top 5 selection), significantly more value than what eve Jeremy Cameron went for (draft points index wise).

Shiel (correct me if I'm wrong here) went for picks 9 + 14 and a second coming back to Essendon. I doubt the Dogs would have parted with any selections coming back with Josh (second or third rounders) to even the ledger which makes me content that Dodoro did the right thing. Josh is a good little player but that bounty Sammy Power was requesting is saved only for the best of the best and whilst Josh may be trending upwards, he is not in the top echelon of players.
In the draft thread most bulldogs fans suggested that picks would need to go back to Essendon if two first round picks were on the table, so you're raging against a supposition.

The whole saga is symptomatic of Dodoro's tenure. He seems to care more about winning each individual deal than actually improving the list. Blind Freddy can see a big bodied contested beast is what Essendon need in the post-Jobe era (Myers was just never that player).
The first time Dodoro manages to actually get one interested, he doesn't even offer a deal he would accept himself.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
This guy gets it.

Many draft watchers said that Aaron Fracis was the most talented in his age group, we snagged him at pick 6. We have arguarbly ruined him with a myriad of excuses for how poor we have developed him.
I disagree on Francis he had elite talent as a junior but he was never going to be big enough to play as a key position player at afl level he was always going to be one of those in between size players that didn’t really have a set position he had the potential to be a good utility player but needed to build a tank something he hasn’t been able to do he had elite talent but there was always questions on his attitude as a junior and taking a interstate player that high in the draft is always a 50/50 risk

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I disagree on Francis he had elite talent as a junior but he was never going to be big enough to play as a key position player at afl level he was always going to be one of those in between size players that didn’t really have a set position he had the potential to be a good utility player but needed to build a tank something he hasn’t been able to do he had elite talent but there was always questions on his attitude as a junior and taking a interstate player that high in the draft is always a 50/50 risk

Soo, uhhh, nothing to do with Dodoro then?

Right

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
In the draft thread most bulldogs fans suggested that picks would need to go back to Essendon if two first round picks were on the table, so you're raging against a supposition.

The whole saga is symptomatic of Dodoro's tenure. He seems to care more about winning each individual deal than actually improving the list. Blind Freddy can see a big bodied contested beast is what Essendon need in the post-Jobe era (Myers was just never that player).
The first time Dodoro manages to actually get one interested, he doesn't even offer a deal he would accept himself.

As had been Adrian's baited history, he will start low and then meet somewhere he wants to in the middle. It sounded like the Dogs weren't ever going to budge on the two firsts hence the stand off.

goondog

Premium Gold
May 19, 2001
Perth via Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Im sure that if Dodoro had of known how little the Dogs were actually willing to let Josh go he wouldn't have bothered.

Then he's more incompetent than I thought. Every man and his dog could've seen that we were never gonna let Dunkley go cheaply or easily so why was it such a surprise to Dodoro, an actual list manager.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Then he's more incompetent than I thought. Every man and his dog could've seen that we were never gonna let Dunkley go cheaply or easily so why was it such a surprise to Dodoro, an actual list manager.
why the need to say it was Dodoro's incompetence that the richest (draft point index) deal in history was not completed?

Pretty poor on Dodoro's behalf sure but let's not make it out like the Dogs were the real winners in this (non) deal.

goondog

Premium Gold
May 19, 2001
Perth via Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
why the need to say it was Dodoro's incompetence that the richest (draft point index) deal in history was not completed?

Pretty poor on Dodoro's behalf sure but let's not make it out like the Dogs were the real winners in this (non) deal.

Well it's either incompetence and/or arrogance that Dodoro believe he could pry a contracted, highly rated, premiership inside mid about to enter his prime, without doing any homework on what would be needed to get a deal done.

Not sure anyone's claiming we're the winners in this (non) deal. Not everything's about winning and losing.

As had been Adrian's baited history, he will start low and then meet somewhere he wants to in the middle. It sounded like the Dogs weren't ever going to budge on the two firsts hence the stand off.
I'd suggest his "baited history" is not working given the list issues Essendon have in recent years.
Are you honestly happy with his performance?

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Soo, uhhh, nothing to do with Dodoro then?

The blames 50/50 on this one
it had been made clear right from the start to every one that they didn’t really want to trade him but if it was going to happen they had to get 2 firsts for him due to being contracted Adrian knew what they wanted right from the start it was clear they were not going to budge on cost it shouldn’t have been a shock if that price was to high then he shouldn’t have even pursued the trade any further he just embarrassed himself and Essendon in the end and left Dunkley hanging out to dry

Daine

Debutant
Aug 24, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Jye Caldwell is 183cm and 82kgs, he's not the big bodied inside beast Essendon have been needing for a number of years. They had the chance to grab one but Dodoro was concerned about "winning the deal" than actually making the list better, which brings us back to the OP.

By Dodoro's own admission, he wouldn't himself have accepted what he offered for Dunkley. The fact they didn't grab anyone capable of playing a similar role is a massive failure for not having a genuine plan B.

Who cares if Caldwell isn't a big bodied inside beast? He can be an important piece of the puzzle, and that's good enough. You say it's a massive failure that Essendon didn't get Dunkley or anyone similar, but the fact is we are years off challenging, so there is no rush to get one now. We could still get a good inside mid with one of our top 10 picks this year, and next years draft is loaded with good mids.
Our rebuild is going to take awhile, so there is no need to overpay for anyone right now, regardless of how good a fit they are.

It is clear that you rate every single name in that lot much higher than anybody not wearing black and red blinkers does.

Just to pick out a few.

Nick Hind. Very amusing. It would be a stretch to even call the bloke a journeyman.
Peter Wright for virtually nothing. You overpaid. We are talking about a bloke who couldn't get a game as third tall at The Suns FFS.
Jye Caldwell. A short light bodied 11 game player running at just over one clearance a game for his 11 games is the answer for the screaming need for a big strong inside mid? Oh dear.
One of the best young rucks in the league? Just no.

And stop telling everybody who points out the blindingly obvious deficiencies Essendon has on every line that they don't understand. It's juvenile.

Peter Wright is a decent pickup for very cheap. He kicked 31 goals in his third season and that's more than Mckay has got so far.
Caldwell isn't short - he is average height for an AFL mid. He did only average 1.33 clearances per game, but he is only young and had only two games experience before this year. Setterfield barely averaged more clearances in his second season (1.5), and that was with a lot more opportunity since GWS has a stacked midfield. Writing off Caldwell already is pretty stupid.

Last edited:
but the fact is we are years off challenging
And yet in the last couple of years you chased cherry-on-the-top types: Stringer, Sheil, Smith and Saad. Whats that about, was it a misread by the great man? Dare I say: where are Essendon at? Are they contending, rebuilding, or other?

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

How dare they for a contracted player they don't want to lose.

It's adrians job to know that you don't get wanted, contracted players for a deal that "meets in the middle".

You either cough up big time or nothing happens.

Daine

Debutant
Aug 24, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
And yet in the last couple of years you chased cherry-on-the-top-type - Stringer, Sheil, Smith and Saad. Whats that about, was it a misread by the great man? Dare I say: where are Essendon at? Are they contending, rebuilding, or other?

Who is our best small defender now that Saad is gone? Was definitely the right decision getting him for cheap, and Carlton were prepared to pay pick 8 for him, so teams clearly rate him highly.
Smith won our b&f, broke tackling records and had a high defensive work rate. Wouldn't really call him a 'cherry on the top' type. Unfortunately his body hasn't held up.
Stringer was a good pickup for what we paid too. I have no problem with that deal at all (coupe of pick's around 30 iirc). Picks in that range are often worse than Stringer, or even complete busts.
Shiel was 2nd for total clearances in 2017 and 15th for contested possessions, so I can see why they went for him. But I agree that trade was a mistake. Dodoro didn't even do that deal though, so it's a moot point.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
And yet in the last couple of years you chased cherry-on-the-top types: Stringer, Sheil, Smith and Saad. Whats that about, was it a misread by the great man? Dare I say: where are Essendon at? Are they contending, rebuilding, or other?
The saga obviously ruined any resemblance of momentum the club had going for it. The players we lost around that time were key players and should we have not lost them would have us pushing hgher up the ladder than what we have achieved.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
How dare they for a contracted player they don't want to lose.

It's adrians job to know that you don't get wanted, contracted players for a deal that "meets in the middle".

You either cough up big time or nothing happens.

As mentioned, you start low and then meet somewhere close to a reasonable price. The Dogs never budged.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Who cares if Caldwell isn't a big bodied inside beast? He can be an important piece of the puzzle, and that's good enough. You say it's a massive failure that Essendon didn't get Dunkley or anyone similar, but the fact is we are years off challenging, so there is no rush to get one now. We could still get a good inside mid with one of our top 10 picks this year, and next years draft is loaded with good mids.
Our rebuild is going to take awhile, so there is no need to overpay for anyone right now, regardless of how good a fit they are.

Peter Wright is a decent pickup for very cheap. He kicked 31 goals in his third season and that's more than Mckay has got so far.
Caldwell isn't short - he is average height for an AFL mid. He did only average 1.33 clearances per game, but he is only young and had only two games experience before this year. Setterfield barely averaged more clearances in his second season (1.5), and that was with a lot more opportunity since GWS has a stacked midfield. Writing off Caldwell already is pretty stupid.

I didn't write Caldwell off. Might or might not be a good player.

The point is, he's not the player that Essendon desperately need.

And Wright is a spud who had one adequate year when he was targeted pretty much every time they went in, and has got steadily further from adequate since.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I didn't write Caldwell off. Might or might not be a good player.

The point is, he's not the player that Essendon desperately need.

And Wright is a spud who had one adequate year when he was targeted pretty much every time they went in, and has got steadily further from adequate since.

Essendon don’t desperately need anyone. Because we aren’t achieving anything any time soon. Remove everyone older than Merrett except Stringer and that’s the team Essendon are working with.

We have thirteen players I’d say as guaranteed to be in our best 22 in three years. We have a lot of holes to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back