Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as this thread's turned into a bit of a cripple fight between supporters of Carlton and Essendon, 2 clubs remarkably similar in that their supporters tend to drink the Kool-Aid, however despite their cultish mind set, tend to abandon their clubs in times of need (both clubs have pretty much equal membership, just above that of little Geelong, so, like Geelong, they've both become bona fide minnows). Both clubs have become laughing stocks and are basically quasi religious social clubs who's board members, and staff (including list manager) only focus is to cement themselves as part of the inner circle rather than to facilitate successful governance or provide competent service. There are many other similarities, such as both clubs eagerness to take short cuts and to embrace cheating, rather than do the hard work required to become successful.
So my question is, of these 2 hopelessly incompetent sporting organisations, which has been the most inept at recruiting this century?
I'd say in this too, they're both pretty similar.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
Seeing as this thread's turned into a bit of a cripple fight between supporters of Carlton and Essendon, 2 clubs remarkably similar in that their supporters tend to drink the Kool-Aid, however despite their cultish mind set, tend to abandon their clubs in times of need (both clubs have pretty much equal membership, just above that of little Geelong, so, like Geelong, they've both become bona fide minnows). Both clubs have become laughing stocks and are basically quasi religious social clubs who's board members, and staff (including list manager) only focus is to cement themselves as part of the inner circle rather than to facilitate successful governance or provide competent service. There are many other similarities, such as both clubs eagerness to take short cuts and to embrace cheating, rather than do the hard work required to become successful.
So my question is, of these 2 hopelessly incompetent sporting organisations, which has been the most inept at recruiting this century?
I'd say in this too, they're both pretty similar.
Nice bait.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
embrace cheating

1610408267366.jpeg

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes, Goodwin is Melbourne's Achilles heel.

Back to Carlton, Essendon and topics Dodoro - Carlton paid slight overs to get a player to their team (Saad) who they felt would improve their list significantly. They could have tried to nab him via the PSD, but that would have been a considerable risk to getting the player they wanted, so they swallowed their pride and paid what it took to get the player. That is good list management.

Meanwhile, Dodoro and Essendon supporters fist pump about "bending Carlton over", turn away from a player that could seriously improve them in Dunkley, because they couldn't "win the trade" and go into season 2021 with a significantly weaker list.

Should have payed what the Dogs wanted.

Dunkley would have been a ready made replacement if Merret leaves

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Dodoro has built this list at Tulla and they haven't had any sort of success for ages. Yet he is not under any sort of pressure at all.

The Daniher non trade 12 months ago should have been the final nail in his coffin. Yet Lord Sheedy has come out and thrown his full support behind him.
Dodo turned two first round picks for Joe into one first round pick and four games for 7 goals.

That is Crazy Vossy territory
It obviously can't be proven, but those who are in the know do say Dodoro was over-ruled on that one (and the Shiel trade for that matter). Impossible to know the truth unless you were in the room of course.

Nah. That doesn’t work mate. Rutten asked it because he knew the answer. What you reckon they just threw the camera on and they just brought that up and neither knew the question and the other not the answer? Spare me.

Wasn’t an accident in the way you infer.

It was done for the ‘story’. It was done to create headlines. Make it look like Dodo has done a great job. It’s how Dodo rolls. It’s his one wood. Too many of you keep falling for it. You should be demanding your club dumps him. He has presided over a failing list forever and this is the exact reason why he gets away with it.

Dodo From Marketing.
What I find funny about this, is when you review the video shown ... my takeaway was that Reid wasn't one of our 3 main targets. I think someone we expected to be there was taken off the table. So for you and others to be reading so much into a one-liner from the pre-draft discussions which is probably comparing Andrew's U17 form vs. Reid's U17 form (given that was the last form of Reid's we've seen) is pretty silly.

Marketing clearly chose what they were going to show. Mislabelling it as Rutten asking when he knew the answer, when the footage is small tidbits from the recording of the entire pre-draft strategy discussion ... well again, it doesn't sound like you've watched it. The editing and release was clearly done for the story, and I think cleverly was done (after all, most takeaway Reid was main target). But the actual original discussion certainly wasn't.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
My guess is the 5 year view for the talls would be;

The approach this year seemed to be get all the talls in the door that could build the spine moving forward, in a draft where there was no standout midfielder available at the selections we had. Then take midfielders next year in a draft that's regarded as being full of them. We'll likely have a selection around 5ish again, and if Merrett was to go, I'd expect he gets a Band 1 compo deal which means 2 x Top 10's in a strong midfield draft. Or Merrett stays.
I doubt we're that specific. The reality is that outside of Jones, Cox, Reid and Francis that we've used very late second rounders or later to recruit our talls. For those still totally unproven (i.e. everyone young except Draper), there is probably not more than a 50% likelihood that any individual will make it. We've got now a nice pool of kids (Jones, Cox, Reid, Eyre, Bryan, Brand, McBride, Wright, Francis, BZK) of which we need 4 KP slots, a depth player, and hopefully a couple of elite players amongst them. Putting them down for particular slots is not what the club is probably doing, they just want 4-5 to make it.

If they all make it, we've got too many. But that would be a nice problem to have.

Meanwhile, Dodoro and Essendon supporters .... turn away from a player that could seriously improve them in Dunkley, because they couldn't "win the trade" and go into season 2021 with a significantly weaker list.
I'm not sure what is complicated about this. At the cost of Dunkley, he worsen's the list. Why would you pull the trigger in that scenario?

Carlton have done what Essendon need to do. Rebuild around a solid midfield core.
Um, our midfield is our strongest element when looking at those who are younger. Merrett at 25 is the oldest, with Langford, Parish, McGrath, Caldwell behind him. There are 3 top 10 picks in there. You need 7-8 mids, those 5 would be the core of it. This area needs far less work than others. Given we probably hope Perkins will also move into the midfield, the 2021 draft is meant to be strong on mids, and we have a number of potential F/S mid picks over the next two years, the approach taken makes sense.

Not every rebuilding team has that luxury, but it's a decent example of exactly why Essendon passing on Dunkley was the wrong thing to do. The whole process becomes so much easier when you're breaking even at the stoppages, and have that consistent midfield support for the players coming through.

Taking key position players does have merit, but if you're going to weigh up one project key defender (and another early pick) vs one established star mid I'd be leaning towards just banking on the star mid.
Given the mids we already have, going tall for this draft makes sense. Especially given the question marks over the Victorian kids in this draft. I mean, which "star mid" was available? You look at who went after our picks, and its clear every club had different views, there was no consensus pick. Bruhn would be the exception, but he has the issues with his knees that brings his own risks.

That said, I don't think Reid was our Plan A, but our Plan B. It would be fascinating to know who we thought/hoped would drop out of that well discussed previous picks.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Given the mids we already have, going tall for this draft makes sense. Especially given the question marks over the Victorian kids in this draft. I mean, which "star mid" was available? You look at who went after our picks, and its clear every club had different views, there was no consensus pick. Bruhn would be the exception, but he has the issues with his knees that brings his own risks.

That said, I don't think Reid was our Plan A, but our Plan B. It would be fascinating to know who we thought/hoped would drop out of that well discussed previous picks.

I was referring specifically to not giving up one of those picks for Dunkley, who is an established star.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
I was referring specifically to not giving up one of those picks for Dunkley, who is an established star.
But they wanted a lot more than 'one' of those picks. We're not in a position where we could pay that price; it was icing on the cake price. To be clear, I'm not saying Dunkley wasn't worth that price, I'm saying we're going (or should be going) into a rebuild, we've got too many holes to pay that for one player, in an area which we're not too badly positioned anyway (midfield).

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
But they wanted a lot more than 'one' of those picks. We're not in a position where we could pay that price; it was icing on the cake price. To be clear, I'm not saying Dunkley wasn't worth that price, I'm saying we're going (or should be going) into a rebuild, we've got too many holes to pay that for one player, in an area which we're not too badly positioned anyway (midfield).
Then why was Dunkley head hunted? You say you weren’t in the position to pay the price (with trade picks) and he plays a position that doesn’t need to be filled...poor Dunkley. Just another pawn in Dodo’s game play.
Can you not see why we are questioning this?

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Then why was Dunkley head hunted? You say you weren’t in the position to pay the price (with trade picks) and he plays a position that doesn’t need to be filled...poor Dunkley. Just another pawn in Dodo’s game play.
Can you not see why we are questioning this?

It’s been mentioned a few times but the price we thought would be asked (non starting mid with a high ceiling) wouldn’t be as high as the Dogs eventually put on Josh’s head.

Josh is a nice player and all but not worth paying the higher bounty ever on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

So where was the second 1st round pick coming from? We knew the Bulldogs were firm on wanting your 2021 1st round pick, but you would have had to sacrifice at least one early pick from 2020 which the Bulldogs would have presumably on-traded into the next years draft.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s been mentioned a few times but the price we thought would be asked (non starting mid with a high ceiling) wouldn’t be as high as the Dogs eventually put on Josh’s head.

Don't feed the trolls, we know how this ends

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves

'The price you thought would be asked'....talk about getting ahead of yourselves.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Most decent list managers would have sounded out the Bulldogs and got an indication of what they'd expect in a trade prior to Dunkley nominating. Always had the potential to go pear-shaped given Essendon had no idea what their expectations were, and it actually shouldn't have been too much of a surprise the clubs couldn't reach any agreement.

I still can't tell if Dodoro was deluded enough to believe he could get Dunkley for less than he was worth or the whole situation was an overzealous PR exercise.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Can everyone decide if Dodo screwed up by overpaying for Shiel or screwed up by not overpaying for Dunkley? Because the two are mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back