Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Can everyone decide if Dodo screwed up by overpaying for Shiel or screwed up by not overpaying for Dunkley? Because the two are mutually exclusive.

Have to look at it on a case-by-case basis.

Essendon already had a million outside midfielders on their list, so coughing up 2x first round picks for another one was completely unnecessary, however Essendon don't have one capable big bodied inside midfielder on their list , so coughing up 2x first round picks for one was completely justified.

Why does this thread still exist?

Because 'Adrian' does.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I'm not sure if you know who Dylan Shiel is, but 'outside midfielder' is probably not the description you're looking for.

Look at his uncontested to contested possession count across his career (including his stint at Essendon) for a true indication. He's an outside midfielder being purposed as an inside mid.

The reality is Shiel was one of the best outside mids in the competition (60% of his touches were uncontested in his final year at GWS) until Essendon tried to shoehorn him into being inside midfielder in the complete absence of anyone else. He has always been been utilised as the 2nd or 3rd receiver, but Essendon don't have anyone to feed the ball out to him, so he's the go to guy at the coalface by process of elimination.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Wonder though if Essendon would still do the trade if they had their time again?

Shiel was supposed to be their prime mover, their leader of men who'd continue on his trajectory and stamp himself as one of the best midfielders in the league. Instead he's playing outside his comfort zone, expected to do more heavy lifting than he's used to, and hasn't dominated in any big games. His horrible performances against Richmond and Brisbane this year and final last year come to mind.

I know he is interested in real estate, and given his history of swindling (the Essendon FC) perhaps he's happy to cop 900k pa until he's ready to start doing what he loves? He's also pretty involved in Formula 1 IIRC.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Fun fact:

Dylan Shiel's best clearances season was 2017. At GWS.

Shiel is an inside-outside player. An 'outside midfielder' is a Lachie Whitfield.

Yet still an overwhelming number of uncontested possessions to contested possessions in that particular year.

At best Shiel is an inside-leaning outside midfielder, but he certainly wasn’t a pure inside midfielder until he became one by default at Essendon.

Yet still an overwhelming number of uncontested possessions to contested possessions in that particular year.

At best Shiel is an inside-leaning outside midfielder, but he certainly wasn’t a pure inside midfielder until he became one by default at Essendon.

In 2017 Shiel was 2nd that year for total clearances, 2nd for centre clearances, 16th for contested possession, yet only 21st for uncontested possessions.

OVERWHELMING!

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
In 2017 Shiel was 2nd that year for total clearances, 2nd for centre clearances, 16th for contested possession, yet only 21st for uncontested possessions.

OVERWHELMING!

Indicative moreso of the quality around him IMO.

At Essendon he hasn’t had the same support and he has had to do the bulk of the heavy lifting, which isn’t really his go.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Indicative moreso of the quality around him IMO.

At Essendon he hasn’t had the same support and he has had to do the bulk of the heavy lifting, which isn’t really his go.

So he won more clearances, because he had more quality around him, so had to do less of the heavy lifting?

Makes total sense.

Or, alternatively, you’re wrong and he’s not an outside midfielder.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
So Dylan Shiel apparently being utilised in a not natural position (to which he’s an inside outside mid anyways) is Adrian Dodoro’s fault?

Gee whiz, we’re clutching at straws now aren’t we

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Wonder though if Essendon would still do the trade if they had their time again?

Shiel was supposed to be their prime mover, their leader of men who'd continue on his trajectory and stamp himself as one of the best midfielders in the league. Instead he's playing outside his comfort zone, expected to do more heavy lifting than he's used to, and hasn't dominated in any big games. His horrible performances against Richmond and Brisbane this year and final last year come to mind.

I know he is interested in real estate, and given his history of swindling (the Essendon FC) perhaps he's happy to cop 900k pa until he's ready to start doing what he loves? He's also pretty involved in Formula 1 IIRC.
From a Carlton perspective, I was shattered when Shiel chose Essendon, regardless of what it cost to get him over the line.

In hindsight, it ended up being a massive win for us, if we'd given up two 1st rounders (2018 and 2019) similar to what Dodoro paid. The Essendon Shiel trade delivered Carlton Jack Martin, Sam Walsh, Brodie Kemp, Liam Stocker and Sam Philp through the non-deal. Martin was destined for the Bombers the end of 2018 until they spent all their chips on Shiel, the others are 1st round picks that SOS traded from two 1st round picks to four.

But, give him his dues, Dodoro got the deal done, and Essendon supporters would no doubt be rapt with what Shiel has delivered. Aren't they?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
So he won more clearances, because he had more quality around him, so had to do less of the heavy lifting?

Makes total sense.

Or, alternatively, you’re wrong and he’s not an outside midfielder.

Not hard to look good in a stacked midfield, with midfielders who will block for and give you the best opportunity to get first use.

Understandably he has struggled in Essendon’s smaller, less talented and less defensively minded midfield group.

It’s a pretty easy distinction, and one outlier season doesn’t reverse his general formlime.

So Dylan Shiel apparently being utilised in a not natural position (to which he’s an inside outside mid anyways) is Adrian Dodoro’s fault?

No .. Essendon is nearly clutching at 6000 days without a finals win ;)

Solid list is ... solid.

Not hard to look good in a stacked midfield, with midfielders who will block for and give you the best opportunity to get first use.

Understandably he has struggled in Essendon’s smaller, less talented and less defensively minded midfield group.

It’s a pretty easy distinction, and one outlier season doesn’t reverse his general formlime.

Wait until they lose Merrett next year ;)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
From a Carlton perspective, I was shattered when Shiel chose Essendon, regardless of what it cost to get him over the line.

In hindsight, it ended up being a massive win for us, if we'd given up two 1st rounders (2018 and 2019) similar to what Dodoro paid. The Essendon Shiel trade delivered Carlton Jack Martin, Sam Walsh, Brodie Kemp, Liam Stocker and Sam Philp through the non-deal. Martin was destined for the Bombers the end of 2018 until they spent all their chips on Shiel, the others are 1st round picks that SOS traded from two 1st round picks to four.

But, give him his dues, Dodoro got the deal done, and Essendon supporters would no doubt be rapt with what Shiel has delivered. Aren't they?

We dodged a bullet no doubt. I still think he would have done far better in our midfield, with Cripps feeding him the ball, but luckily our horrible finishing position that year safeguarded us.

Tbh most of my Essendon-supporting mates have been disappointed in general. For the price paid and the net result he’s been underwhelming, and they won’t even get much further benefit as they’re slipping down the ladder.

As mentioned, he was recruited to be their prime mover in their engine room and he hasn’t quite stamped himself they way Essendon would like. For the price paid you’d expect a top 20 league footballer, but I doubt he’s currently in the best 50.

I just don’t think he has the personality to do or be what Essendon need him to. He’s far too nice and far more interested in other pursuits. But it largely doesn’t matter because Essendon won’t be playing finals for a long time anyway. The whole situation has worked out perfectly for him.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
We dodged a bullet no doubt. I still think he would have done far better in our midfield, with Cripps feeding him the ball, but luckily our horrible finishing position that year safeguarded us.

Tbh most of my Essendon-supporting mates have been disappointed in general. For the price paid and the net result he’s been underwhelming, and they won’t even get much further benefit as they’re slipping down the ladder.

As mentioned, he was recruited to be their prime mover in their engine room and he hasn’t quite stamped himself they way Essendon would like. For the price paid you’d expect a top 20 league footballer, but I doubt he’s currently in the best 50.

I just don’t think he has the personality to do or be what Essendon need him to. He’s far too nice and far more interested in other pursuits. But it largely doesn’t matter because Essendon won’t be playing finals for a long time anyway. The whole situation has worked out perfectly for him.

And to think the Dogs wanted more for Dunkley who isn’t even in the top 50 players in the comp.

Dodoro is damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t according to Carlton Bigafooty posters. Really sad the joy it apparently brings you guys, feel it’s a sad indictment on you guys than what Dodoro is to the EFC

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves

At no stage did anyone suggest Dodoro has directed Shiel to play in his unnatural position. Anyone with half a brain knows who determines his position.
You look like you’re clutching at straws by fuelling nonsense.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Essendon don't have anyone to feed the ball out to him, so he's the go to guy at the coalface by process of elimination.

So which is it?

He won more clearances because he had a more talented midfield group around him at GWS?

Or he's the go-to guy at a coalface and wins clearances because of a less talented midfield group at Essendon?

You're all over the shop mate, but what I think is clear is that Dylan Shiel isn't an outside midfielder. So once again, you're wrong.

most of my Essendon-supporting mates

If you carry on in the real world the way you do here, I doubt these exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back