Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im an armchair expert and what I say largely has no importance to anyone involved in the AFL. But if Dodoro is such a fair and balanced operator how has he come to have this mythical reputation amongst not only football fans but even members of the media who openly joke about deals Dodoro is involved with being prolonged. I've heard former list managers on trade radio make snide remarks regarding Dodoro's operations and it seems to be a consensus amongst almost everyone involved that hes a pain to deal with.

Im not disagreeing that the Hill trade wouldn't have been overs and its good practice to not offer more for him if you're Dodoro. But drama follows the bloke everywhere he goes in the trade space. You cant tell me thats simply coincidence and has nothing to do with Dodoro himself.

Giving LOL's since 1998 ....

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Im not disagreeing that the Hill trade wouldn't have been overs and its good practice to not offer more for him if you're Dodoro

So he even did the right thing according to you?

But drama follows the bloke everywhere he goes in the trade space.

Because journos know people can't help but click on articles that mention Dodoro. Because opposition supporters care more about what Dodoro does than their own clubs list manager that they barely recognise.

Trade period media was dying a slow death until Dodoro somehow gave it life for 48 hours, despite making no public comments, despite Hill being nowhere near the most high profile player to try to move this trade period, and despite Essendon even offering what is pretty much universally agreed as a reasonable offer.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Congratulations. I had Juddernaut08 in the sweep but I see he already has a day off no doubt for some other floggish crap.
Been over a month but guess I'm still top of mind for you. I'm touched.

In this particular case, who cares about Hill. The guy has some potential but his output has been nothing special to date. Averages 9 touches and less than a goal a game.

Compare this to missing out on Dunkley last year, that one actually has big ramifications. Imagine having Dunkley/Parish/Merrett lead a midfield with Heppell/Shiel/Smith in support. He's the big bodied, missing piece the Dons need to break their 7000 day finals drought but Dodo couldn't bear to pay a fair price.

TL;DR - Dodo is a fraud, but the Hill trade is irrelevant.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
So he even did the right thing according to you?

Because journos know people can't help but click on articles that mention Dodoro. Because opposition supporters care more about what Dodoro does than their own clubs list manager that they barely recognise.

Trade period media was dying a slow death until Dodoro somehow gave it life for 48 hours, despite making no public comments, despite Hill being nowhere near the most high profile player to try to move this trade period, and despite Essendon even offering what is pretty much universally agreed as a reasonable offer.
Yes for not agreeing to pay way overs, no for allowing Hill to nominate the club. Its just as much up to the club as it is the manager and player. You dont just hear players nominating they want to play for Richmond with no consultation with the club of choice. Dodoro would have been in communications with Hill and his manager and should have told them there was no chance of a deal being reached so in your best interests dont nominate through a public media forum. Instead last night we hear reports that Hill was in tears that his dream of getting to Melbourne wasnt to be (im not sure how much of that I believe but regardless) and now has to go back to his club and address the situation with his teammates.

As for Dodo - Once again how did he come to be this clickbait king? He had to have been involved in some controversies at some point or another otherwise he'd just be like every other list boss that nobody bar their own supporters care much for. People don't just dislike him because the media enjoys printing pages about him, dont get me wrong I'm positive they take advantage of it but the initial disliking of him for me and many of my other friends and people I hear on forums like this is that he is simply a pain in the ass to deal with. Always has been, always will be.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes for not agreeing to pay way overs

So you're here posting, about Dodoro making a fair offer for a player?

I mean, it's pretty clear you can't help but react no matter what he actually does.

Its just as much up to the club as it is the manager and player

The same management group that also botched the Lobb trade request? You might want to rethink how much of this is on Dodoro.

Instead last night we hear reports that Hill was in tears that his dream of getting to Melbourne wasnt to be (im not sure how much of that I believe but regardless) and now has to go back to his club and address the situation with his teammates.

Dodoro when interviewed said the opposite, in an interview last night apparently; 'Dodoro also said that Hill was actually in a good mood and getting a tattoo at about 5 when he last spoke to him.'

he is simply a pain in the ass to deal with

You've never met the bloke, let along had dealings with him, and if I was to guess, you've never listened to a radio interview of him actually speaking either.

the initial disliking of him for me

Apparently, comes down to you swallowing the AFL clickbait hook, line and sinker. Now you click all their articles, and rush to BigFooty to comment about Dodoro being in the media, again, because they know you can't help but click their articles.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Been over a month but guess I'm still top of mind for you. I'm touched.

In this particular case, who cares about Hill. The guy has some potential but his output has been nothing special to date. Averages 9 touches and less than a goal a game.

Compare this to missing out on Dunkley last year, that one actually has big ramifications. Imagine having Dunkley/Parish/Merrett lead a midfield with Heppell/Shiel/Smith in support. He's the big bodied, missing piece the Dons need to break their 7000 day finals drought but Dodo couldn't bear to pay a fair price.

TL;DR - Dodo is a fraud, but the Hill trade is irrelevant.

The Dunkley trade falling through was a blessing in disguise for Essendon, make no mistake about that.

Parish moving to the midfield likely wouldn’t have happened if we got Dunkley, we are already in front there as Parish has him covered, and we wouldn’t have two of Cox, Perkins and Reid, we clearly dodged a bullet.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The Dunkley trade falling through was a blessing in disguise for Essendon, make no mistake about that.

Parish moving to the midfield likely wouldn’t have happened if we got Dunkley, we are already in front there as Parish has him covered, and we wouldn’t have two of Cox, Perkins and Reid, we clearly dodged a bullet.
It's a fair point, but it's hard to say for sure. Parish's emergence may have happened regardless of who else was in the team.

Regardless, despite being awesome this year, he's still fairly smol. Dunkley is the missing piece for you.

Cox/Perkins/Reid all look promising. But probably won't peak together whilst your core group are in their prime. Dodo gave up a lot of capital for the likes of Shiel, Smith, Stringer --> will it all go to waste?

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
So you're here posting, about Dodoro making a fair offer for a player?

I mean, it's pretty clear you can't help but react no matter what he actually does.

The same management group that also botched the Lobb trade request? You might want to rethink how much of this is on Dodoro.

Dodoro when interviewed said the opposite, in an interview last night apparently; 'Dodoro also said that Hill was actually in a good mood and getting a tattoo at about 5 when he last spoke to him.'

You've never met the bloke, let along had dealings with him, and if I was to guess, you've never listened to a radio interview of him actually speaking either.

Apparently, comes down to you swallowing the AFL clickbait hook, line and sinker. Now you click all their articles, and rush to BigFooty to comment about Dodoro being in the media, again, because they know you can't help but click their articles.
Seperating my comments into individual snippets that lack context :drunk:. I have in fact watched nearly every interview with him over the last 5 or so years and the Essendon youtube series from last year which I thought painted him in a good light. I respect his decisions in terms of selecting talent but I among many many others dread the name Dodoro when a trade is mentioned because history suggests its bordering on a certainty that he will ask for ridiculous overs for his own players and drag out deals that he is involved in to the last hour of the trade deadline.

There is a reason this thread exists and is titled what it is.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There is a reason this thread exists and is titled what it is.

Because people buy the media line, time and time again, no matter what Dodoro is actually doing.

I mean he filled multiple articles this week with what was a reasonable offer for Hill, and very reasonable comments post-trade period about GWS' right to hold a player to contract.

Meanwhile, people are rushing here to rant and rave about him, despite him doing absolutely nothing of note?

Seperating my comments into individual snippets that lack context :drunk:. I have in fact watched nearly every interview with him over the last 5 or so years and the Essendon youtube series from last year which I thought painted him in a good light. I respect his decisions in terms of selecting talent but I among many many others dread the name Dodoro when a trade is mentioned because history suggests its bordering on a certainty that he will ask for ridiculous overs for his own players and drag out deals that he is involved in to the last hour of the trade deadline.

So everything you've watched that actually involves Dodoro himself paints him in a good light, you respect his decisions, but dread a trade because he may ask for ridiculous overs - that, mind you, you're not ever able to verify what he asked for in that vast majority of these cases - and the trades end up getting done later in the trade period, so they don't satisfy your urge to see the trades done NOW?

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Regardless, Dogs weren't interested in trading Dunkley.
You're entitled to your opinion, but you contradict what was reported about Essendon's failed attempt to trade:

The Bulldogs were seeking two first-round picks from Essendon for the 23-year-old, who was still contracted to the club for another two years. However the Bombers believed Dunkley was only worthy of one top-10 pick, leading to a trade impasse and an eventual no-deal.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
You're entitled to your opinion, but you contradict what was reported about Essendon's failed attempt to trade:

The Bulldogs were seeking two first-round picks from Essendon for the 23-year-old, who was still contracted to the club for another two years. However the Bombers believed Dunkley was only worthy of one top-10 pick, leading to a trade impasse and an eventual no-deal.

They didn’t just want two first round picks though, they wanted two top 10 picks, he isn’t/wasn’t worth that, you, me, Essendon AND the Bulldogs know it.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

So what you're saying is, unless they were offered a trade of higher value than any other player ever traded except possibly Chris Judd, they weren't interested in trading Dunkley.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I honestly don't believe Dodoro should be blamed or made a scapegoat for Essendon not winning a final since 2004.

Sheedy is a lot to blame for trying to heavily top up with constantlu recycled/past it hacks like Murphy/Allan and Campo in his final years as coach, then Matt Knights put out two club legends out to pasture a couple of years too early in Lucas and Lloyd, which ripped the fabric out of the club and its culture, the Thompson, Dank and Hird era and fall out really have nothing to with AD.

I think they arguably underachieved with Woosha after their top up VFL season in 2016 (should have win at least two finals with the cattle in time)

The good news is that they actually seem on the right track with a solid citizen and decent coach in Truck Rutten.

Dodoro seemingly does have an antagonising personality of sorts which can lead to opposition clubs and supporters disliking him, but it's way too unfair to blame all of Essendon's modern day failures on him.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
"Fair deals" according to who, Dodoro?

If Dodoro wasn't part of the planning to announce to the world that Bobby Hill wanted to become an Essendon player a few days out from the end of trade period (leaving little time for GWS to react) then fair enough. Otherwise, his plan to pressure clubs to trade through a media campaign failed two years running. If it was 'never happening' (because they weren't prepared to stump up the GWS asking price) then why did they decide to play it out through the media, without at least determining roughly what that asking price might have been first?

Parish's form this year is irrelevant.
Stop muck raking. The deal was never going to be done, Essendon participated as the player wanted to come to Victoria and offered what 99% of people believed a reasonable deal. Perhaps on to some other ‘campaign’.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
He gets a pat on the back for offering better $$$ to players who want out from current club
Clearly he has an issue with under valuing players who want out from their current club. e.g Giants saying GAGF with Hill.

It's been his modus operandi for years.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I hate defending Dodoro again, but surely he does not go out of his way to be an attention seeking diva/drama queen on trade week like many posters and indeed some clowns in the media seem to think ?

I have no problem or issue with him and The Bombers having a fair dinkum crack at Dunkely last year, seems like they were told he was gettable, and every other club and recruiting
Manager would be negligent in their duties if they didn't try have a fair dinkum crack if they thought he could be traded to their club for the right place.

Dogs have been vindicated by standing their ground, but really what is it was Dodoro and Essendon's crime in asking the question?

Like you wouldn't want your club to do similar in the same unique circumstances ?

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
They didn’t just want two first round picks though, they wanted two top 10 picks, he isn’t/wasn’t worth that, you, me, Essendon AND the Bulldogs know it.
It's part of the negotiation. Dogs wanted 2 firsts. Dons wanted to give one first. It's posturing.

Try to reach a middle, like you did with Shiel: 2 top 10 firsts for Shiel and a second. Surely a contracted Dunkley is worth equal to or more than Shiel?

End of the day, Dodo didn't get it done and let Dunkley down. Heck, we got 2 firsts from Young Reid for a washed up Gibbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back