Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Great talent, unfortunately it doesn't go far enough

You have great talent, in young spine players, but by the time they hit maturity, Shiel, Merrett, Stringer (stints in the middle), will be past their best

The good thing, you have a great number of talls on the list and it is easier to add mids, which I believe should be the focus/quantity over the next couple of years

Right now, I would only play one of Shiel or Merrett at centre bounces, along with Hobbs, Perkins, Caldwell playing the majority of time at these stoppages. Given his smarts, hands, agility/speed, I would also rotate Martin in this area

Many Ess people agree with that last sentiment & it may not be this year but that's where it's headed esp with the likelihood of one of the older midfield group being traded at season's end.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Dodoro does have a great eye for talent, better than most, but it's his inability to determine/address needs and or having a group coming through together age/maturity wise
In absolute terms you raise some good points. However, there’s genuine reasons beyond his control that have led to this. And most people that are critical of Dodoros work don’t take this into account as they must.

This specifically relates to his list build post Sheedy (2007). Firstly, his list demographic for the side put together at the beginning of the post Sheedy era (2009>) was decimated by the supplements saga. That build was destroyed as it was coming to fruition in 2012 with the corresponding loss of key players in the important 23-27 age groups: Ryder, Hibberd, Monfries, Crameri, Carslile amongst others. Just prior to this he lost Bachar Houli, a player that would become an All Australian who couldn’t get on with Matthew Knights. On top of this, he also lost his 1st & 2nd round picks for 2013 & 2014 meaning that he couldn’t participate in player trading to either replace these experienced players or bring in new talent for the future list builds. A side that was on the up would disintegrate and fragment, ultimately coming to dust with mass suspensions in 2016.

He had to basically start again post 2015, he did so by building sides more than capable of winning finals from 2017 beyond if supported by a high performing Club environment. All Australians in this squad (9): Watson, Daniher, Hooker, Hurley, Merrett, Heppell, Stringer, Shiel, Saad However a broken club following the saga resulted in poor culture and low performance standards which came to a head in 2020 when Daniher, Saad, McKenna and Fantasia left. The Club was broken.

None of this is Dodoros fault. He brings in the talent, from there it’s up to the club to bring it all together. He’s done a good job under extraordinary circumstances the last 15 years.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
In absolute terms you raise some good points. However, there’s genuine reasons beyond his control that have led to this. And most people that are critical of Dodoros work don’t take this into account as they must.

This specifically relates to his list build post Sheedy (2007). Firstly, his list demographic for the side put together at the beginning of the post Sheedy era (2009>) was decimated by the supplements saga. That build was destroyed as it was coming to fruition in 2012 with the corresponding loss of key players in the important 23-27 age groups: Ryder, Hibberd, Monfries, Crameri, Carslile amongst others. Just prior to this he lost Bachar Houli, a player that would become an All Australian who couldn’t get on with Matthew Knights. On top of this, he also lost his 1st & 2nd round picks for 2013 & 2014 meaning that he couldn’t participate in player trading to either replace these experienced players or bring in new talent for the future list builds. A side that was on the up would disintegrate and fragment, ultimately coming to dust with mass suspensions in 2016.

He had to basically start again post 2015, he did so by building sides more than capable of winning finals from 2017 beyond if supported by a high performing Club environment. All Australians in this squad (9): Watson, Daniher, Hooker, Hurley, Merrett, Heppell, Stringer, Shiel, Saad However a broken club following the saga resulted in poor culture and low performance standards which came to a head in 2020 when Daniher, Saad, McKenna and Fantasia left. The Club was broken.

None of this is Dodoros fault. He brings in the talent, from there it’s up to the club to bring it all together. He’s done a good job under extraordinary circumstances the last 15 years.

Mostly valid reasons, but you have touched on his inability to build a list rather than just identifying talent. While Shiel and Smith were very good to A grade quality, you didn't need these types considering what you had on the list. Guys like Matthew Kennedy, Brodie, Hugh Greenwood, etc, would have been better need options

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Mostly valid reasons, but you have touched on his inability to build a list rather than just identifying talent. While Shiel and Smith were very good to A grade quality, you didn't need these types considering what you had on the list. Guys like Matthew Kennedy, Brodie, Hugh Greenwood, etc, would have been better need options
No team list build is perfect. Most quality sides have obvious holes. Eg: Brisbane, lack of bigger bodied midfielders supporting Neale and midfield depth, maybe a lack of mongrel, perhaps need more speed and bounce off half back. Dodoro had Watson (who was mentally broken and retired early) and probably was short of another quality contested player.

However, that 2015> side had great strengths and exuberance that in a high performance Club environment should’ve been good enough to evolve into a top 4 capable side..

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

196cm, pick 44 rookie draft, 4 x All Australian. In the discussion for best CHB of the 2000's.

Ok?

The poster said he could only pick small players or flankers.

Hooker was neither small, nor a flanker.

McGovern doesn't have anything to do with that, were you feeling left out or something?

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
No team list build is perfect. Most quality sides have obvious holes. Eg: Brisbane, lack of bigger bodied midfielders supporting Neale and midfield depth, maybe a lack of mongrel, perhaps need more speed and bounce off half back. Dodoro had Watson (who was mentally broken and retired early) and probably was short of another quality contested player.

However, that 2015> side had great strengths and exuberance that in a high performance Club environment should’ve been good enough to evolve into a top 4 capable side..

I agree, we were negligent going into this year with one of the thinnest and or injury prone spines in the league and it needs to be addressed rather than chasing more mids and or flankers.

That was 7 years ago and us novices can see it has been one of your weaknesses for a number of years, yet this area has not been addressed by your club

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok?

The poster said he could only pick small players or flankers.

Hooker was neither small, nor a flanker.

McGovern doesn't have anything to do with that, were you feeling left out or something?
It's more a general comment to the fact that Dodorro gets credited for finding diamonds in the rough.

Who's the best player he found late? Eagles have picked up in the rookie draft in the 2000's alone, off the top of my head, the best ruckman of the period in Cox, a Brownlow medalist in Priddis, Gov as per above.

The point is that most clubs can point to picking up quality amongst the dross in the late stages of the draft. It's just not Doddorro

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It's more a general comment to the fact that Dodorro gets credited for finding diamonds in the rough.

Who's the best player he found late? Eagles have picked up in the rookie draft in the 2000's alone, off the top of my head, the best ruckman of the period in Cox, a Brownlow medalist in Priddis, Gov as per above.

The point is that most clubs can point to picking up quality amongst the dross in the late stages of the draft. It's just not Doddorro

So yes, just felt left out?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

I don’t know if it’s Dodoro but Essendon have been pretty good at finding these types of players. I mean we’ve had excellent success at the mid season draft for example.

Nic Martin plucked from the WAFL averages 20 touches and a goal in his first year so far.

Again I’m not a Dodoro fan and am keen to move him on but I’d say we’ve done better then average on late picks. Would go back and miss on a few late pick role player types to swap the McGrath and Francis picks for Mcluggage and Curnow/McKay.

I’m also not sold on Cox, Reid or Hobbs yet either obviously still very early though.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m also not sold on Cox, Reid or Hobbs yet either obviously still very early though.

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t know if it’s Dodoro but Essendon have been pretty good at finding these types of players. I mean we’ve had excellent success at the mid season draft for example.

Nic Martin plucked from the WAFL averages 20 touches and a goal in his first year so far.

Again I’m not a Dodoro fan and am keen to move him on but I’d say we’ve done better then average on late picks. Would go back and miss on a few late pick role player types to swap the McGrath and Francis picks for Mcluggage and Curnow/McKay.

Cox and Reid will be very good, don't be concerned there, Hobbs, I see him more workman like, which is fine. Perkins has amazing xfactor

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree, we were negligent going into this year with one of the thinnest and or injury prone spines in the league and it needs to be addressed rather than chasing more mids and or flankers.

That was 7 years ago and us novices can see it has been one of your weaknesses for a number of years, yet this area has not been addressed by your club
You mean Essendon’s spine? Essendon are 12 months into this latest reset and have been effective in securing a good foundation of a spine. Essendon are building on basis they’re two years away from being capable of winning a final. That’s the internal view at board level.

Backline. They have Zach Reid who’ll develop into a very decent defender. People inside Essendon rate him highly and he’s developing well this year after an interrupted first year. He’s of the Harris Andrew’s mould, needs a couple of pre seasons to develop physically. They like Cody Brand and have Ridley there too. They may still require one more physical full back type, they have time to solve this.

They have Draper who’s going to be a good player with Nick Bryan developing nicely under him.

Forward. Jones will be a very good CHF. Baldwin is getting better every week and Wright is capable. They may want to recruit a full forward but it may not be necessary. The trendy narrative is EFC need a full forward, I’m not certain about this. But it wouldn’t hurt. They have Cox who could well end up a key forward.

All in all they’re reasonably well placed.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
You mean Essendon’s spine? Essendon are 12 months into this latest reset and have been effective in securing a good foundation of a spine. Essendon are building on basis they’re two years away from being capable of winning a final. That’s the internal view at board level.

Backline. They have Zach Reid who’ll develop into a very decent defender. People inside Essendon rate him highly and he’s developing well this year after an interrupted first year. He’s of the Harris Andrew’s mould, needs a couple of pre seasons to develop physically. They like Cody Brand and have Ridley there too. They may still require one more physical full back type, they have time to solve this.

They have Draper who’s going to be a good player with Nick Bryan developing nicely under him.

Forward. Jones will be a very good CHF. Baldwin is getting better every week and Wright is capable. They may want to recruit a full forward but it may not be necessary. The trendy narrative is EFC need a full forward, I’m not certain about this. But it wouldn’t hurt. They have Cox who could well end up a key forward.

All in all they’re reasonably well placed.

No, I meant acquiring a couple of big bodied midfielders. Yes, as per your previous post, Lions could also do with at least 1 more, but they do have Berry and Rayner that play through there. They also have a group that has essentially come through together, this is what I meant before that your list while talented, is too wide a spread in age/maturity, in terms of types

Target the "right fit" mids now, rather than just the best available through the next couple of drafts

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
No, I meant acquiring a couple of big bodied midfielders. Yes, as per your previous post, Lions could also do with at least 1 more, but they do have Berry and Rayner that play through there. They also have a group that has essentially come through together, this is what I meant before that your list while talented, is too wide a spread in age/maturity, in terms of types

Target the "right fit" mids now, rather than just the best available through the next couple of drafts
Agree. From what I understand they think they are capable of adding Josh Dunkley this off season whom would support an improved midfield mix. They will keep their first round selection and certainly bring in Alwyn Daveys son who’s progressing very nicely in his U18 year.

Contrary to widespread view, their list is decent however needs the next two years to balance the mix and add in areas of deficiency. If Essendon can provide a high performance supportive and stable environment that succeeds in developing its talent, the team will be winning many more games in 24 months time from now.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
LMFAO....they literally adhered to what this video conjures....thats freaky :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
cant believe how unrecognised this post has gone thus far,deserves 1000 likes minimum on irony alone
oh well,the majority are sleepwalking
Indeed, the sleepwalking is a real thing.
Least two of us got a good laugh out of the irony of this old video.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

He’s going to be decent I’m just concerned about his upside. People complained about Parish being too vanilla before he broke out. Comparing Hobbs directly to Parish I’d say he isn’t as good of an athlete (slower with less agility) and doesn’t have the same penetration in his kicking. What’s a recent high end outcome of players with that skill set? Sewell?

I’m probably wrong as it seems plenty of people smarter then myself disagree but yeah I just don’t see it.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Cox and Reid will be very good, don't be concerned there, Hobbs, I see him more workman like, which is fine. Perkins has amazing xfactor

Yeah my issue with Cox and Reid is I think there’s a fair chance they will both play their best footy as intercept defenders. Throw in Ridley and that’s a lot of draft capital spent on defenders when it’s gun mids and forwards that win you games imo.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s going to be decent I’m just concerned about his upside. People complained about Parish being too vanilla before he broke out. Comparing Hobbs directly to Parish I’d say he isn’t as good of an athlete (slower with less agility) and doesn’t have the same penetration in his kicking. What’s a recent high end outcome of players with that skill set? Sewell?

I’m probably wrong as it seems plenty of people smarter then myself disagree but yeah I just don’t see it.

Taylor Adams? Joel Selwood?

He's that kind of player, he'll be a brick of a man who wears contact and makes life easier for his teammates.

Different kind of footballer to Parish.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Taylor Adams? Joel Selwood?

He's that kind of player, he'll be a brick of a man who wears contact and makes life easier for his teammates.

Different kind of footballer to Parish.

Taylor Adam’s isn’t a bad comparison although I’d say he has a bit more burst speed then Hobbs and again doesn’t have such a pitching wedge for a kick. J.Selwood’s work on the outside was far more advanced at the same age but I do agree they have similar physical attributes.

cakewalk06

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a fair point that the supplements saga has turned the past decade into a wasteland for the Dons. I agree that that's not on Dodoro or a slight on his skill at selecting players. I think the main reason he creates so much angst among rival fans is that he's a plonker when it comes to making reasonable trades. He somehow got this reputation as a tough negotiator and he believes his own press, to the detriment of his own club sometimes, IMHO.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Taylor Adam’s isn’t a bad comparison although I’d say he has a bit more burst speed then Hobbs and again doesn’t have such a pitching wedge for a kick. J.Selwood’s work on the outside was far more advanced at the same age but I do agree they have similar physical attributes.
Reminds me more of boak tbh.
Runs and competes all day, positions smartly, lovely kick when picking out passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back