Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
It's a fair point that the supplements saga has turned the past decade into a wasteland for the Dons. I agree that that's not on Dodoro or a slight on his skill at selecting players. I think the main reason he creates so much angst among rival fans is that he's a plonker when it comes to making reasonable trades. He somehow got this reputation as a tough negotiator and he believes his own press, to the detriment of his own club sometimes, IMHO.
If you consider the deals that led to this though

Hurley and 1st rd pick for caddy - tick
Ryder to the last minute of that period - more annoying than anything
Stringer - tick
caldwell and Dunkley - tick.
Daniher - no tick

Does his best for the club. But sometimes overdoes that.
Be interesting to see if we go for dunkley again

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah my issue with Cox and Reid is I think there’s a fair chance they will both play their best footy as intercept defenders. Throw in Ridley and that’s a lot of draft capital spent on defenders when it’s gun mids and forwards that win you games imo.

I think Cox will be your swingman, perhaps view him more as that Blicavs type

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Stringer - tick
Daniher - no tick

I'm always staggered when I hear people say that Stringer has been good for Essendon.

Daine

Debutant
Aug 24, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm always staggered when I hear people say that Stringer has been good for Essendon.

Really? I would take Stringer every day for picks 25+30. He has been our leading goal scorer three times and last year was a very good clearance player too.
Picks in that range are often busts. Look at some of the players Gold Coast has taken around that range: Jez Mclennan, Joshua Schoenfield, Jeremy Sharp, Henry Schade, Sean Lemmens etc. Yes Touk Miller was pick 29, but getting a player of that calibre isn't that common and you are much more likely to pick players far worse than Stringer if not complete busts.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Windy, windy, windy.. My old china plate.
We both know what rabbit hole this leads down.
Rabbit Hole Dancing GIF by CuriosityStream
Haa ! Where ?

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
It's been a very interesting season for old Dodoro.

I've been ready to string the bloke up for a while, but to pull Martin, Hobbs, D'Ambrossio in one season is pretty impressive. I also really like the look of Tex and Patrick Voss for the long term too.

Jones back and playing well, Perkins having his best game, Caldwell and Durham starting to come good, Brand, Baldwin and Bryan developing really strong in the twos. Whether or not it's RFK or Dodoro is irrelevant. The team have had a pretty strong last few years. I'd have crucified him but he's pulled out some really strong players.

The team is obviously still struggling a bit but not at the hands of the recent draftees.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It's been a very interesting season for old Dodoro.

I've been ready to string the bloke up for a while, but to pull Martin, Hobbs, D'Ambrossio in one season is pretty impressive. I also really like the look of Tex and Patrick Voss for the long term too.

Jones back and playing well, Perkins having his best game, Caldwell and Durham starting to come good, Brand, Baldwin and Bryan developing really strong in the twos. Whether or not it's RFK or Dodoro is irrelevant. The team have had a pretty strong last few years. I'd have crucified him but he's pulled out some really strong players.

The team is obviously still struggling a bit but not at the hands of the recent draftees.
It isn’t just this year. He’s just doing again what he’s done well previously, building good lists.

The supplements saga and the clubs implosion of 2020 and the impact these ‘events’ had on the club, and the loss of players associated with both events shouldn’t be sheeted home to Dodoro or RFK.

Most people conveniently disregard this and that’s why their assertion he hasn’t performed is a shallow and incomplete review of his / their performance.

Dodoros been forced to go back to the well and start again on several occasions the last 15 years, frustratingly because of the Clubs failure to support his team with the necessary high performance environment and culture to ensure talent and list builds are realised.

Just because Essendon win a match shouldn’t mean all of a sudden we see the talent emerging or recognise a good 12-24 months of recruiting. If they lose tomorrow night it’s back to sack Dodoro again, right?

No, this is another rebuild that basically necessarily started again in 2020 and consequently the growth, evolution and development of this list will take another 18-24 months to start delivering results on a consistent basis. In the meantime we need to expect the ups and downs and inconsistent performances of individuals and the collective team as they begin to play more football together, work out their optimal positions, grow into new roles and build chemistry.

All this whilst hoping that finally on this occasion the Essendon Club don’t bring about another implosion and avoid making short term decisions based on external noise and pressure from the media and it’s fans. That’s why this next two years is so challenging to navigate.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did you watch last season? Bloke was the best centre clearance player in the comp in the back half of the year and kicked 40 goals.

Parish and Stringer centre bounce dominance was a big part of Essendon over performing expectations last year.

Back half of the year.

Story of his career - particularly at Essendon. Really good in patches, really ordinary in patches, not even playing in big patches.

What has he helped them achieve? Who has he improved around him?

What has he brought to the club?

Essendon people still think building a list is like collecting footy cards.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Back half of the year.

Story of his career - particularly at Essendon. Really good in patches, really ordinary in patches, not even playing in big patches.

Sounds like you’re blaming Stringer for Essendon’s failures. It’s possible to have recruiting successes while also failing as a club overall.

Overall Essendon’s player recruitment and development has clearly not been good enough that in itself is not proof Stringer has been a failure.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Stringer - tick
Daniher - no tick

He misread the tealeaves, bigger than losing/winning any individual trade.

He thought Dons were ready to challenge so he outlaid substantial draft capital to bring in mature players in Shiel, Smith and Stringer (SSS).

The Dons middled and failed to even win a single final and in recent years he's started letting senior players go to bring in new draft capital.

It means overall he's fked up the trajectory of the club.

How much extra talent would you have had you kept those picks for SSS?

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Back half of the year.

he's a rich man's mitch mcgovern

at the end of the day, all that talent doesn't have enough consistency for team success

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
It's a fair point that the supplements saga has turned the past decade into a wasteland for the Dons. I agree that that's not on Dodoro or a slight on his skill at selecting players. I think the main reason he creates so much angst among rival fans is that he's a plonker when it comes to making reasonable trades. He somehow got this reputation as a tough negotiator and he believes his own press, to the detriment of his own club sometimes, IMHO.
This is a great post.

I often blame everything on Dodoro and his mates. But realistically he's made some blinders for picks outside the draft.
Nic Martin and Sam Durham look like they'll both play 150+ games for us, and Will Snelling came 3rd in the best and fairest last year.
Massimo was huge in his debut game too.

I just think they've made some poor high draft picks over time that have really cost the club. I find it so hard to forgive him for Ariel Steinberg over Luke Parker, which all supporters at the time thought was an awful pick. The McGrath over McCluggage one was another shocker, which a lot of people recognised at the time. I was pretty hot on us picking Charlie Curnow over Aaron Francis, but that was just personal preference - I loved the Melksham pick at the time, so I have to own up to that shocker.

We'll see how Cox, Perkins and Reid work out, if 2/3 do not, surely that's his death knell? Perkins looks a home run.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

He thought Dons were ready to challenge so he outlaid substantial draft capital to bring in mature players in Shiel, Smith and Stringer (SSS).

The Dons middled and failed to even win a single final and in recent years he's started letting senior players go to bring in new draft capital.

We've been through this before.

Do you think Adrian Dodoro makes the decision all by himself what position the club thinks it's at?

It's amazing just how many things people try to attribute to Dodoro, he must be the most talented administrator in football if he's doing all the stuff people think he is.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
We've been through this before.

Do you think Adrian Dodoro makes the decision all by himself what position the club thinks it's at?

It's amazing just how many things people try to attribute to Dodoro, he must be the most talented administrator in football if he's doing all the stuff people think he is.
Why are you happy to call out his wins but not face up to his larger failings? You his missus or something?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

SSS was Smith, Saad and Stringer brought in one off season for the rough cost of one first and two seconds. All were 23/24 when traded every team in the comp regardless of list composition is looking for talented players in that age group. It’s stupid to claim bringing those guys in as misreading the tea leaves.

Two firsts for Shiel with a second going back was clearly a fail by the club trying to compete while Hurley and Hooker were still playing good footy. The Daniher non trade to Sydney was also a poor move.

Dodoro does have the argument that both those decisions were taken out of his hands by the board though that being said it still reflects poorly on him.

To borrow from NBA there is definitely a chase the 8 seed mentality at Essendon where the club is happy with the status quo of just being mediocre.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
SSS was Smith, Saad and Stringer brought in one off season for the rough cost of one first and two seconds. All were 23/24 when traded every team in the comp regardless of list composition is looking for talented players in that age group. It’s stupid to claim bringing those guys in as misreading the tea leaves.

Two firsts for Shiel with a second going back was clearly a fail by the club trying to compete while Hurley and Hooker were still playing good footy. The Daniher non trade to Sydney was also a poor move.

Dodoro does have the argument that both those decisions were taken out of his hands by the board though that being said it still reflects poorly on him.

To borrow from NBA there is definitely a chase the 8 seed mentality at Essendon where the club is happy with the status quo of just being mediocre.
SSSS - smith, saad, stringer, shiel. 2 years spent trading out picks to become mediocre like you've said.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Why are you happy to call out his wins but not face up to his larger failings? You his missus or something?

I've said on numerous occasions that I'm more than happy for people to criticise him for the things he's actually responsible, which is largely, not drafting a suitably balanced midfield group.

Instead, people like you, make up all these bizarre things he's almost certainly not responsible for.

It's a strange obsession you have.

He's a decent recruiter. Not the best, not the worst. About average across the stretch.

You could attempt to make some informed commentary for a change, but we both know you won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back