Not open for further replies.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Really done get your post?

Hooker and Hurley are both AA Key Defenders although are undoubtedly on decline.

Not to mention Jordan Ridley won our BNF as a KPD?

With all due respect to the boys, Hooker and Hurley are well and truly finished as top liners.
Young Ridley looks a nice type of intercept flanker, can’t remember him standing the likes of Lynch Hawkins Dixon etc.

12 months ago, the club knew Daniher wanted out.
They knew they had no quality KPD.
They knew they had no quality BBM.

They failed to address the KPF issue.
They failed to address the KPD issue.
They failed to address the BBM issue.

This is a list management issue.
Who is responsible ?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Really done get your post?

Hooker and Hurley are both AA Key Defenders although are undoubtedly on decline.

Not to mention Jordan Ridley won our BNF as a KPD?

Jordan Ridley isn't a key defender, he's more an intercepting third/fourth mid-sized defender ala Sam Docherty.

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Did he bypass Sydney for that reason though? Brisbane were conveniently Top-4 with a well regarded medical team, and he’d spent extended time in Queensland for probably the first time in his life.

Meanwhile Sydney were bottom 4 and have struggled to keep Reid and Franklin on the park.
In 2019 the Swans also finished bottom 4 and Brisbane top 4.

Players move for a host of reasons, including medical and lifestyle as you’ve pointed out ..... bombers aren’t wrong in deciding not to hand picks requested, I’m just questioning the process.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sheedy left in 2007. Dodoro has been at EFC in various roles since the 90s.

Having played football 30 years ago has little relevance to identifying talent today. It's more that the smart AFL players are able to more easily move in to coaching or administrative roles given there's no real pathway for people in to it.
What are these so called roles he was involved in ? Have been told from a Essendon person the first part of his time was spent on the corporate side he only moved over to operations in the early 2000s I will give the guy credit his obviously been a successful business man but that in no way qualifys
Him for his current role he has no elite sporting background whatsoever yet his supposed to be able to pick someone who does!

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
What are these so called roles he was involved in ? Have been told from a Essendon person the first part of his time was spent on the corporate side he only moved over to operations in the early 2000s I will give the guy credit his obviously been a successful business man but that in no way qualifys
Him for his current role he has no elite sporting background whatsoever yet his supposed to be able to pick someone who does!

Why does he need a background as having played elite sport, to identify talent?

Bill Belichick never played elite sport, yet is recognised as one of the best NFL coaches.
Jose Mourinho never played at the elite level, yet is recognised as one of the best soccer coaches.
Both Frank Vogel & Erik Spoelstra (coaches of both NBA finals teams) never played at the elite level.

It's a misnomer to suggest that one must have played the game, to talent scout or coach the game. It's just that without any real pathways for people who aren't ex-players, we end up with mostly ex-players. International sport has a lot more life-time coaches than we see in the AFL.

If you're this obsessed with Dodoro that you've been posting about him for a week now, perhaps you should be telling us his career pathway.

You also realise 'early 2000s' is about 20 years ago now.... right?

Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Why does he need a background as having played elite sport, to identify talent?

Bill Belichick never played elite sport, yet is recognised as one of the best NFL coaches.
Jose Mourinho never played at the elite level, yet is recognised as one of the best soccer coaches.
Both Frank Vogel & Erik Spoelstra (coaches of both NBA finals teams) never played at the elite level.

It's a misnomer to suggest that one must have played the game, to talent scout or coach the game. It's just that without any real pathways for people who aren't ex-players, we end up with mostly ex-players. International sport has a lot more life-time coaches than we see in the AFL.

If you're this obsessed with Dodoro that you've been posting about him for a week now, perhaps you should be telling us his career pathway.

You also realise 'early 2000s' is about 20 years ago now.... right?

bill belichick is a cheat so he'd fit in at essendon

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
If that’s really the case then that’s extremely worrisome it would mean there are a number of people at your club incompetent at there jobs
And that is Exactly the case and why it hasn’t won a final in 16 years. The wider club has been dysfunctional and that’s the point I have been banging on about..,

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
And surely the buck stops with Dodoro.
Rubbish.

The buck stops with the Chairman and ultimately the CEO. The Chairman’s gone. The CEO is responsible for a dysfunctional football department as a whole. The Football Manager has now gone and we await Brashers review results and what this finds, and what additional actions are being taken to fix the football department.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
In a very compromised draft year, I would have given up a 2nd first round pick for a known young star in Dunkley if I was Dodoro (provided The Dogs threw back a 2nd rounder Essendon's way)

Big draft for Dodoro coming up, he really would want to nail most, if not all of the 1st and 2nd picks he has in his sleeve..

It could be argued his future at the EFC is dependant on him having a successful draft.

See no one can argue that he is a good (if extremely annoying and stubborn) trader, it's his drafting of young players in the National Draft with early picks that is the question mark (although to be fair, he was unlucky with Francis who has suffered from heavy off field issues)
How could you? Next years drafts said to be better than this years. Essendon will possibly finish bottom 4 in 2021. That means you’d effectively pay picks 7 (2020) and around pick 5 next year in a super draft! For apparently your 3/4th best midfielder. No way!!

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
C’mon that’s a very shallow post..

It had arguably the best KPF on the list until he broke down and left this year. It has 2 previously All Australian KPD’s on the list (one impacted heavily with injury in 2019/20). It has also not had its prime stopper not play for 2 years with injury (Ambrose). Agree there’s a lack of BBD’s to give balance however they intended to have Stringer in bursts and Heppell (both injured and missing majority of season 2019/20) in this capacity.

Your argument would be stronger if it were more balanced and showed a greater depth of knowledge of what’s transpired at Essendon the last 8 years.
What’s unbalanced about saying it’s not great list management to have all your eggs in one basket no doubt Hooker and Hurley where great kp defenders but to not bring in or draft anyone two start developing for the future is extremely irresponsible

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Quality KPF = 0
Quality KPD = 0
Quality BBM = 0

This is a list management issue.
Who is responsible ?
your point isn't entirely wrong or right. Some ways of addressing it occurred, but mostly last year. But yes, it has been neglected.

In rebuild mode (with the phasing of the likes of Hooker, Hurley & Ambrose out of the defence & Daniher gone/Stewart being a stop gap), we'll end up with;

Redman (23) Zerk (22) Francis (23)
Ridley (22) Brand* (18) Hind (26)

Rucks are Draper, Bryan & Crauford.

Langford (24) Eyre* (18) Tippa (28)
Jones (19) Wright (24) Stringer (26)

Bold - no AFL exposure
Underline italics - limited AFL exposure

herein lies the bookend problem, whilst we have a midfield crying out for 2x starters even with Caldwell in.
hoping we take Reid @ 6 to slide in at FB & 2 mids (Perkins, Macrae, O'Driscoll, Bruhn perhaps but is small)

*NGA picks that we'll have next year

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
your point isn't entirely wrong or right. Some ways of addressing it occurred, but mostly last year. But yes, it has been neglected.

In rebuild mode (with the phasing of the likes of Hooker, Hurley & Ambrose out of the defence & Daniher gone/Stewart being a stop gap), we'll end up with;

Redman (23) Zerk (22) Francis (23)
Ridley (22) Brand* (18) Hind (26)

Rucks are Draper, Bryan & Crauford.

Langford (24) Eyre* (18) Tippa (28)
Jones (19) Wright (24) Stringer (26)

Bold - no AFL exposure
Underline italics - limited AFL exposure

herein lies the bookend problem, whilst we have a midfield crying out for 2x starters even with Caldwell in.
hoping we take Reid @ 6 to slide in at FB & 2 mids (Perkins, Macrae, O'Driscoll, Bruhn perhaps but is small)

*NGA picks that we'll have next year

A spine of :

Zerk
Brand
BBM ?
Eyre
Wright

Gold Coast are paying to be rid of Wright ...
That’s pretty ordinary list management and Adrian is surely accountable ?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A spine of :

Zerk
Brand
BBM ?
Eyre
Wright

Gold Coast are paying to be rid of Wright ...
That’s pretty ordinary list management and Adrian is surely accountable ?
agreed.

Rucks -> TBC & Ryder went down to TBC & Leuenberger, then Clarke, then Phillips. Lucky Draper looks good.
KPD -> Hurley & Hooker have battled on into their 30s. Next in line is Zerk.
KPF - Daniher + Stewart. 36 games in 3 seasons between them.
For a guy who lives by the code of build the spine, then build around them....we didn't have a lot of depth/planning over the years.

All of which is forgivable if you have a midfield unit that bats deeper than 5 mids (Shiel, Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Heppell)
But we don't.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
agreed.

Rucks -> TBC & Ryder went down to TBC & Leuenberger, then Clarke, then Phillips. Lucky Draper looks good.
For a guy who lives by the code of build the spine, then build around them....we didn't have a lot of depth/planning over the years.

All of which is forgivable if you have a midfield unit that bats deeper than 5 mids (Shiel, Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Heppell)
But we don't.

Accurate and fair analysis.
Adrian has his work cut out.
Good luck.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
What’s unbalanced about saying it’s not great list management to have all your eggs in one basket no doubt Hooker and Hurley where great kp defenders but to not bring in or draft anyone two start developing for the future is extremely irresponsible
Because they have drafted to replace these guys. Their eggs aren’t in the one basket. I will give you an overview of what’s taken place the last two years and will do next month.

They’ve drafted Zerk-Thatcher a young full back (Hooker), Ridley floating and intercepting off half back (Hurley) and Francis to fill key back posts.

They’ve also drafted Harry Jones last year who is highly regarded as a key half forward. They have James Stewart as a half forward in place.

Clearly losing Daniher wasn’t part of any plan so that creates an obvious shorter term void they will look to replace in the upcoming draft. Hence their interest in Logan Mc Donald (full forward). They certainly hoped to retain Daniher as their 1st priority however.

To add to this, they will likely take NGA players ‘Brand’ (classic stopper of the Ambrose ilk) and Eyer (plays like Scotty Lucas style). That gives you some perspective on their recent drafting and proposed. Biting they’ve had to pivot again in very recent times of course.

They will be expecting and believing theyexit 2020 with a highly talented goal to goal line locked and loaded for the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
agreed.

But we don't.
One thing I’ve noticed on here is the massive amount of difference in opinion from one Essendon supporters post to another Essendon supporters one when you look a few posts down what dave10 has posted it’s the complete opposite to yours I think you’r is buy far the more accurate of the two it’s like dodoro has some type of spell over some of your supporters literally everyone who has worked at Essendon over the last 15 years cops it but he can do no wrong it’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve seen at a professional sports club.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
One thing I’ve noticed on here is the massive amount of difference in opinion from one Essendon supporters post to another Essendon supporters one when you look a few posts down what dave10 has posted it’s the complete opposite to yours I think you’r is buy far the more accurate of the two it’s like dodoro has some type of spell over some of your supporters literally everyone who has worked at Essendon over the last 15 years cops it but he can do no wrong it’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve seen at a professional sports club.
ppl have different opinions.
if they didn't, this place wouldn't exist.

I get why people don't think he's entirely to blame
We've had a board with its head in the sand. We're on coach #8 i think in 13 years.
Drugs saga blew a whole in any plans we had laid.
coaching handover plan was always going to cause issues
Injuries to key areas - fwd line and key backs seem to have copped it the most.
etc etc etc

personally find this entire thread a bit of a troll.
168 pages devoted to a list manager we can do nothing about.
And if we could and did sack him tomorrow, just papers over the cracks.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
ppl have different opinions.
if they didn't, this place wouldn't exist.

I get why people don't think he's entirely to blame
We've had a board with its head in the sand. We're on coach #8 i think in 13 years.
Drugs saga blew a whole in any plans we had laid.
coaching handover plan was always going to cause issues
Injuries to key areas - fwd line and key backs seem to have copped it the most.
etc etc etc

personally find this entire thread a bit of a troll.
168 pages devoted to a list manager we can do nothing about.
And if we could and did sack him tomorrow, just papers over the cracks.
I think getting rid of dodoro would at least get rid of one crack don’t be afraid of change when I look at st kilda now to 5 years ago it’s shows a what making change in key positions can do we brought in a new list manager new football manager and a decent coach I think Essendon need a similar clean out theodont seem to want to do it for some reason though.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
I think getting rid of dodoro would at least get rid of one crack don’t be afraid of change when I look at st kilda now to 5 years ago it’s shows a what making change in key positions can do we brought in a new list manager new football manager and a decent coach I think Essendon need a similar clean out theodont seem to want to do it for some reason though.

I think you underestimate Adrian.
It’s not as simple as, just get rid of him.
He’s more than just a list manager at the dons.
He has been there a long time and is very well connected with the right people.
He is on the executive and he is very tight with the coteries who have great influence within the club.
The new president is a veteran coterie man who upon taking the reigns, immediately brought back Kevin Sheedy and both men immediately embraced and endorsed Adrian.
Soon after, Dan Richardson, who was rumoured to be involved in a power struggle with Adrian was no more.
Obviously dons supporters will be more across the problems that have plagued the club but even if you believe Adrian has had his time, removing him is another matter altogether ...

Blues90

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
lol

all that is, is a number. Carlton on 3 finals in the same space of time.

Essendon and Carlton are both as sh*t as each other and both are going nowhere quickly.
Carlton actually have a ruckman key defenders that aren't 70 young good key forwars miles ahead will see the difference next year if you honestly think you're getting anywhere near it for the next 5 years your kidding yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back