Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Woosha Late 2015-2020 (5 years)
Richardson - 2018-2020 (3 years)

GM of football & our football went to sh*te in 2019 and 2020.
Clipping Saad publicly wasn't ideal either. President had to come out and delicately walk those comments back.

Somehow I don't think your team going to sh1te is the fault of the GM. Convenient to blame Woosha who has left and Richardson. And the bloke who isn't a list managers ahole will continue in his role. Your forward line will consist of Stewart, Wright and Stringer. You should be good for around 3 goals a game with those 3.

Everyone knew Daniher was leaving 2 years ago and yet this is what you end up with. Along with a backline held together by blokes in their last couple of years. Not to mention your midfield that has had and continues to have obvious gaps.

So Richardson makes a move on Dodoro and Richardson is moved on. And Dodoro thrives. And Essendon will continue to struggle for the next few years given where your list is at. You're in for some painful times.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm happy for Essendon to "be like Essendon", it's working well for them....

They have infact doubled down.

Their last coach just walked out the door telling the world that their number 1 problem is that the joint is run by 'essendon people' who think that success is simply owed to them.

Response?

Get 3 of the most 'essendon people' blokes on the planet in kev sheedy, simon madden and sean wellman to do an internal review.

Shock horrror- they found no issues- woosha is clearly an old coot, unlike sheeds who is all over 21st century football.

If anything actually, their hard hitting review said woosha was so wrong that they have the reverse problem- of not 'being essendon' ENOUGH!

It is truly a thing of immense beauty to see them disappear further up their own freckle.

When you're a hammer- everything looks like a nail.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong

Their last coach just walked out the door telling the world that their number 1 problem is that the joint is run by 'essendon people' who think that success is simply owed to them.

Response?

Get 3 of the most 'essendon people' blokes on the planet in kev sheedy, simon madden and sean wellman to do an internal review.

Shock horrror- they found no issues- woosha is clearly an old coot, unlike sheeds who is all over 21st century football.

If anything actually, their hard hitting review said woosha was so wrong that they have the reverse problem- of not 'being essendon' ENOUGH!

It is truly a thing of immense beauty to see them disappear further up their own freckle.

The review revealed the main problem at Essendon was non Essendon people in key positions
They'll be right now

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Can’t see to much changing at Essendon anytime soon the fact that the best they can do after a review is come out and blame it on the former coach who is not around to defend himself is laughable also to see the powerbrokers come out and passionately defend dodoro who has left the list in terrible shape shows just how deep the denial goes!
Sad to hear. RIP in peace

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
5 years plus....

Because they have insisted on "Winning the Trade Week" each year, rather than recruiting and developing - they have a really lopsided list profile.

Lets say - they nail every early pick for this year - one mid, one KPF, one KPD.

If it takes two to three years for these three to reach peak performance - who out of Shiel, Stringer, Heppell, Merrett, Hurley, Hooker etc is still around and at their peak to support ??

Ridley, Draper, McGrath etc look to have capability - and will be young enough then - but it's not enough (numbers wise) to be a serious challenger. Which means you need to wait for the recruits in 2 - 3 years time, to have 2 - 3 years development in them - before they are a chance.

And that's assuming they nail every pick and don't just repeat what they have done.....
I agree with you. Essendon know they’re 2-3 years away again. They now have an opportunity to make this smallish rebuild count. It will be a big player again in trading next year with lots of room in its cap. Remember the Cats have 10-12 players over 30. Essendon only have 3, and two of them will retire end of next year.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
we were never going to sack Dodoro this close to a trade & draft period.
especially with the likes of Saad looking to move.

Any move there will happen in the new year i imagine
Same for Xav. Wouldn't surprise me to see him take up an AFL gig for 2021.
Dodoros not going anywhere. Sheedy Loves him. He’s got a year left on his current deal.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Response?

It will be interesting come December to see if Essendon fans agree.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
I agree with you. Essendon know they’re 2-3 years away again. They now have an opportunity to make this smallish rebuild count. It will be a big player again in trading next year with lots of room in its cap. Remember the Cats have 10-12 players over 30. Essendon only have 3, and two of them will retire end of next year.

The challenge is, turning those high end picks into elite (or close to) players in areas of need. Recent success rate is not great with picks like Francis, Parish - who aren't true elite players you can build a side around. The beauty of the Dunkley trade was that despite his weaknesses (which he has) is that he is close to elite as a big bodied ball winning mid - which you need.

You now need to find one in the draft and quickly...

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You now need to find one in the draft and quickly...

Kyle Dunkley on the rookie list for 2 years, Josh Dunkley in 2021.

Solved.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Kyle Dunkley on the rookie list for 2 years, Josh Dunkley in 2021.

Solved.

Still under contract for 2022 as it currently stands, then isn't even a free agent.....

So another 2 or more years without one it seems....

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I'd think if Dunkley asks for a trade again it gets done, I can't recall anyone asking for a trade in two consecutive years not having it happen?

If the offer is as s**t as the last one, it won't get done next year either....

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Right, so you just want to troll, not discuss anything. Carry on.

Nope, just stating the obvious. Why would we accept a poor deal next year, for a player that will still be under contract and then - you'd still have to trade for at the end of 2022 ??

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
It was actually approximately the same value as what Neale went for. If it was offered next year, they'd probably take it.

Potentially yes, with one less year on the contract. But not if you keep reducing the offer each year, which is what I suspect will happen. Because you won't want to offer a 1st round 2021 pick in a supposed superdraft, so you'll be trying to keep that if you can.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Potentially yes, with one less year on the contract. But not if you keep reducing the offer each year, which is what I suspect will happen. Because you won't want to offer a 1st round 2021 pick in a supposed superdraft, so you'll be trying to keep that if you can.

Who knows, but if Dunkley asks to be traded yet again, it puts the Bulldogs in a very awkward position. I can't recall a player asking to be traded twice not getting done. I'm sure the offer would be reasonable enough, people like to whinge about Dodoro but there's no particular deal where Essendon has totally underpaid for a player.

Stringer was the closest, and that was really a mess of McCartney's own doing.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Who knows, but if Dunkley asks to be traded yet again, it puts the Bulldogs in a very awkward position. I can't recall a player asking to be traded twice not getting done. I'm sure the offer would be reasonable enough, people like to whinge about Dodoro but there's no particular deal where Essendon has totally underpaid for a player.

Stringer was the closest, and that was really a mess of McCartney's own doing.

Stringer deal was similar to Treloar - you publicly bag a player to the media, you reduce his value.

If Dodoro wants to get a deal done, he needs to listen to what the Dogs want - then put his best offer on the table ASAP. Otherwise Power will just walk away.

FWIW - I think Dunkley stays and signs a new deal with us....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back