Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right so smart clubs don't pay stupid overs but Essendon are still dumb for not handing over 2 top 10 picks for a bloke not in the top 25 mids in the league.

He would be Essendon's best and most important mid.
He would be Essendon's best leader.
He would be Essendon's best standard setter.
He would be Essendon's best shot at leading them out of a well recognised onfield malaise.
He would make the other Essendon midfielders better players.

And he's only 23, so it wasn't short term thinking.

I honestly thought Adrian had identified a golden goose of sorts for Essendons list. I really did. Even lined up a list spot for his brother. But then he just couldn't bring himself to pony up the "on paper" overs.

Opportunity missed imo. Guys like McGrath and Merrett must have been deflated. Rutten as well, i reckon. A change agent for the better in the playing group was just what was needed.

Stewart, Stringer and Wright as the core of EFC's forward line...and yet there are supporters on here defending him still.

Dont forget Heppell and Merrett as your big bodied mids....

was more an ice & eskimo's situation with our current picks

Though im still annoyed we didn't put our F1 on the table.

I think you needed to clearly articulate your plan. No harm in trying to get him on the cheap (if you can) - but dragging it out and trying to get him on the cheap was silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you needed to clearly articulate your plan. No harm in trying to get him on the cheap (if you can) - but dragging it out and trying to get him on the cheap was silly.
id like to know what guaranteed lock we have in mind next year that is 100% going to be better than the proven quantity/square hole -> square peg Dunkley would have been for us.

id like to know what guaranteed lock we have in mind next year that is 100% going to be better than the proven quantity/square hole -> square peg Dunkley would have been for us.

The strategy is fine if you are on a longer term rebuild, bring in 3 - 5 players this year, another 3 - 5 next year (one first round pick plus one potential compo for Merrett) - then all these players develop together.

If next year - you target a 26/27 year old - that'll be 30 plus before these kids are ready to shoulder the load - then you've clearly stuffed it up...

The strategy is fine if you are on a longer term rebuild, bring in 3 - 5 players this year, another 3 - 5 next year (one first round pick plus one potential compo for Merrett) - then all these players develop together.

If next year - you target a 26/27 year old - that'll be 30 plus before these kids are ready to shoulder the load - then you've clearly stuffed it up...
Hence Dunkley made sense.
23yo. Good leader. Goes hand in hand with Merrett for me in terms of direction setting for the club and the kids.

Put Dunkley in our side and the midfield is;
Draper Dunkley(23) Shiel (27)
Merrett (25) McGrath (22) Langford (24)
w/Parish (23) & Caldwell (20) plus we still hold picks 6 & 7 plus whatever change we get from Dunkley.
Good balance and age profile there.

If Dunkley cost us 8 & F1 (assuming some change back), would have been worth it to build the culture.

Now that we are less than a week before the draft, i'd actually like to hear from the Essendon posters in this thread about what would be their ideal draft haul next week.
Depends on who slips from the top 5 (not including NGA). If everyone in the top 5 stays put, then I'm hoping for:

Pick 6 - McInnes bid so that hopefully Collingwood don't match
Pick 7 - Perkins
Pick 8 - Cox

All 3 provide us something we don't really have.

McInnes being a 193cm inside mid at 17y/o (meaning he could be 195-196cm by the time he is done growing) is perfect for us.
Perkins is an attacking mid at 188cm that seems to be bulking up quite a bit. He has the speed to burst away from stoppages, good overhead mark + athleticism. He'd have been a top 5 lock IMO without COVID.
Cox has very rare attributes for a 200cm player. Relatively quick with elite endurance.

If Collingwood match the McInnes bid, then I'd select an inside mid like O'Driscoll.

If Thilthorpe or Phillips slide (none of the rest will), then I'd select them at the expense of one of the others. If we don't mess this up, we could set ourselves up very well.

23yo. Good leader. Goes hand in hand with Merrett for me in terms of direction setting for the club and the kids.

w/Parish (23) & Caldwell (20) plus we still hold picks 6 & 7 plus whatever change we get from Dunkley.

If Dunkley cost us 8 & F1 (assuming some change back), would have been worth it to build the culture.

I still think you could have got the trade done with your future first and some combination of 2/3/4 rounders this year for them to use on Jamarra.

Now that we are less than a week before the draft, i'd actually like to hear from the Essendon posters in this thread about what would be their ideal draft haul next week.
Ideally it's probably Perkins and Cox, the third pick could be one of about 5 options and if we pick then it's maybe Reid or maybe a reach on a lower rated big bodied mid. If we're talking absolute ideal scenarios though it would be Perkins and Cox whilst trading back with pick 8 either for 2 first or a future first and current first.

The first option probably the most likely at this stage depending on if there's any surprises in the top 5

if top 6-7 picks go the way most think; then Perkins, Reid & either Cox or split and grab 2 of Powell, Poulter, O'Driscoll, Maher or Macrae/
Get Brand & Eyre after 44, giving us the chance to move 44 to next years draft.

Phillips too good to pass up if he's there at our first.
Gets interesting if Thilthorpe slides. I'd be auctioning to highest bidder (2020 +2021 1st), otherwise take him.

Our board is sure Merrett is headed our way next year.

Our board is sure Merrett is headed our way next year.
Could be fairly dependant on how we go during the year. Although if we're terrible then getting a draft pick and trying to rebuild might actually be the better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back