Hot Topic Adrian Dodoro

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Trading up happens a lot more than your implying. It happened to us with one of these players; Melbourne traded up with Gold Coast to jump our picks and take Oliver.

The issue is we’ve had a gaping hole in our list and Dodoro hasn’t addressed it. Not having the picks isn’t an excuse when trading up was a method available to him that he hasn’t taken. At what point in time does an inability or unwillingness to address the most important position on the ground become a fatal error for him?

I can understand Parker, only because he was available, but upgrading picks to take a player in the mid 40s? One who could have gone on the 20s?

I would be very interested to know how many times this has happened.

You're almost certainly confusing pick upgrades to add value to trades for deliberate attempts to target certain players.

Do you even know we were interested in Worpel? It's a strange argument.

If you want to be critical look at Dunkley and Sier and then put you're balls on the line and say who you'd prefer, based on the picks we had (and at least looking at the type of player selected).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dustbin

Loyal & Proud EFC Member
Feb 24, 2004
Allan T. Hird Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Canterbury, 49ers,Lakers
Might be time for Adrian to move on for himself and the club, or the very least another role with the club that excludes recruiting. Certainly not blaming him, but he's been there long enough - the club needs a fresh set of eyes and Adrian needs a fresh new challenge.

JayJ20

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m not making apologies for anything, I’m just giving context. If McClug is so great (and he is) then GWS would have taken him, rather than trading up to try and get McGrath.

McGrath has already proven just as much as the other two and everyone else in that draft by virtue of a genuine two way understanding, and an ability to defend the most dangerous smalls while providing rebound. Just because we’re trying to develop him into more than that doesn’t mean he’s not still that.

He wasn’t all that far off what Saad is doing now as an 18 year old straight off the bat.
GWS also had a midfield stacked with talent. They probably wanted McGrath to replace Shaw because they have the luxury to spend top 2 picks on elite HB talent.

Taranto and McCluggage fill a need more than McGrath

JayJ20

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The issue is both recruiting and development.

Recruiting because our midfield is horribly unbalanced.

Developing because too many players end up average

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
And relying on a stat which demonstrates loose ball gets says what in response?

We've been swimming against the real contested ball tide for 3 years now. Our response is to load up with more midgets and non-aggressive players.

A better way of looking at this is that the Dogs have murdered us around the ball at least as far back as the time Carlisle kicked 8 to get us over the line.
And a 180cm McLean isn’t a midget getting loose ball gets? The way we played on Saturday night would’ve made anyone look good.

If your point is that we need another contested mid, then sure, I’ll agree with that. But the hyperbole is not needed, and undermines your point.

Fin ice Smuggler

Club Legend
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Richmond turned their fortunes around when the put more money into development and recruiting. It was capped off with icing on the cake once they recruited Balme into footy operations.

Whats Essendon going to do to not only help develop the kids we do recruit but to heighten it's chances of getting free hits via it's academy?

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Dodoro may not have been interested in Oliver who if you remember never played in the under 18 championship, came good in the second half of the TAC Cup, in which the competition standard is lower because of the missing 'private school boys' - Oliver was a late bolter who wasn't top 20 in phantom drafts only a month or two before the draft - I understand Dodoro wanted Worpel but Hawthorn had an selection - When you are rating a player a third rounder then you hardly have the need to upgrade a selection.
I don’t disagree with how you’ve parsed it but it continues to show Dodoro is a terrible judge of inside midfield talent or doesn’t prioritise it anywhere near enough. Either way he’s shown an inadequate level of skill to deserve another year. It’s time to look elsewhere for a list manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I can understand Parker, only because he was available, but upgrading picks to take a player in the mid 40s? One who could have gone on the 20s?

I would be very interested to know how many times this has happened.

You're almost certainly confusing pick upgrades to add value to trades for deliberate attempts to target certain players.

Do you even know we were interested in Worpel? It's a strange argument.

If you want to be critical look at Dunkley and Sier and then put you're balls on the line and say who you'd prefer, based on the picks we had (and at least looking at the type of player selected).
The frequency or likelihood of it occurring is irrelevant though. It was an option available to Dodoro if he wanted to address the list imbalance. He hasn’t for far too long and it should cost him his job. If he didn’t rate the players so be it, another failure in judgement.

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
There’s a real obsession with this “inside mid” thing

Across the season we’re ranked 8/18 for contested possession. And that includes Saturday’s disgraceful effort with a count of 126.

It’s not elite but it’s hardly a massive problem.

And there’s little correlation with winning... Richmond and West Coast are ranked 17th and 18th.

I’m not sure we have a glaring problem with winning the footy inside.

We have an appalling problem with consistency.

DapperJong

Hall of Famer
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Dodo has been here for so long that you can argue his case either way. Heaps of good picks, heaps of s**t ones, and everything in between.

A change wouldn't hurt.

Just like my digestive system enjoys no bread even though i like eating it.

I just want to stop farting non stop.

It's been 20 years.

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
There’s a real obsession with this “inside mid” thing

Across the season we’re ranked 8/18 for contested possession. And that includes Saturday’s disgraceful effort with a count of 126.

It’s not elite but it’s hardly a massive problem.

And there’s little correlation with winning... Richmond and West Coast are ranked 17th and 18th.

I’m not sure we have a glaring problem with winning the footy inside.

We have an appalling problem with consistency.
Numbers mean nothing in isolation. We’re ranked okay because we constantly try to outnumber at the stoppage. We aren’t effective from the stoppage at all.

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Dodo has been here for so long that you can argue his case either way. Heaps of good picks, heaps of s**t ones, and everything in between.

A change wouldn't hurt.

Just like my digestive system enjoys no bread even though i like eating it.

I just want to stop farting non stop.

It's been 20 years.
Farting non stop for 20 years?

See a doctor dude

Milanista28

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Say what you will about Bellchambers but after 13 games we were averaging 3 more clearances than our opposition and only lost it twice, to Freo and West Coast. In the next 7 we've been averaging more than 4 clearances less than our opposition.
Any chance that has something to do with having Z. Clarke and not missing Bell?

Top Bottom