List Mgmt. Adrian Dodoro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Milanista28

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Looked at the highlights for Coleman, I bet Dodoro was on the money here again and he becomes a good footballer. Made them pay up at least

TheGrizz

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Looked at the highlights for Coleman, I bet Dodoro was on the money here again and he becomes a good footballer. Made them pay up at least
Draft coverage said Dodoro travelled up to QLD 3 times this year to watch him. If we bid to late then Brisbane match without thinking twice.

I doubt Dodoro did it just to be a nuisance. There is probably a reason Brisbane traded in order to match for him and let Martin and Cumberland go.

Mercurial89

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m not 1 of those guys because I’ve never seen him play but just because he’s gone undrafted doesn’t make them necessarily wrong. Tim Kelly and stack come to mind proving recruiters wrong.
Not really proving them wrong. These guys have more information available than people on here.

The landscape In the AFL was you can improve your team via the draft. There was only one Avenue really (aside from trade).
This led to the league valuing draft picks above all else, you could only add to your list at certain times and with limited shots.
There were reasons why players like that especially in the case of Stack, were not drafted, they were seen as greater risks for the clubs if they couldn't get them right off field vs safer options. You go for the safe floor over the high ceiling with no floor.

Now as the league changes it opens up teams to be able to make more speculative calls, because if you blow a speculative pick you may get another chance to quickly replace them and not fall too far behind.

The biggest mistake people on here make is they treat every decision a club/recruiter/player makes as if they have the same information as the person making the decision. That and being overly emotional.

Fin ice Smuggler

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not really proving them wrong. These guys have more information available than people on here.
Hmm with all this intel that recruiting teams have I reckon people on here would have more of an idea what Melbourne needs than what Melbourne recruiting team drafted this year? With all this intel was Zac Clarke a good recruit for us last year?

What it proves is recruiting is not an exact science and doesn't matter how much intel you have you cannot predict the future.

The NFL has far greater scope into talent identification because there players go through a college system, yet they too have many busts with slip side the GOAT Brady going late in his draft year.

so going back to my sentiment - just because a player doesn't get drafted it doesn't guarantee a player is a spud

owen87

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hmm with all this intel that recruiting teams have I reckon people on here would have more of an idea what Melbourne needs than what Melbourne recruiting team drafted this year? With all this intel was Zac Clarke a good recruit for us last year?

What it proves is recruiting is not an exact science and doesn't matter how much intel you have you cannot predict the future.

The NFL has far greater scope into talent identification because there players go through a college system, yet they too have many busts with slip side the GOAT Brady going late in his draft year.

so going back to my sentiment - just because a player doesn't get drafted it doesn't guarantee a player is a spud
If we shifted the draft age to 21 instead of 18 you'd have a better indication of many of the players; the extra physical development and time spent playing against men would serve players well. We don't really have anything similar to their college sports though, you'd have to have universities aligned with VFL teams or some such to get close.

Also Quarterbacks are notoriously difficult to identify given those who are elite at college level often seem to struggle with the extra speed and height of defenders at NFL level. It's quite interesting.

Mercurial89

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

The NFL has far greater scope into talent identification because there players go through a college system, yet they too have many busts with slip side the GOAT Brady going

Are you seriously comparing the recruiting departments of AFL clubs to people who post on football forums and insinuating it's even close?

We needed Ruck depth, Zach Clarke was a fine low cost option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TerryWallet

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Why don't you and Carlton do a trade of list managers. SOS won't have the conflict of intetest with his son then

I just went wobbly at the knees. All my hard work disparaging The Great Man so we could swoop on him would have paid off.

I'll be waiting in the Ikon Park carpark to present him with a navy jacket.

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
I’m not 1 of those guys because I’ve never seen him play but just because he’s gone undrafted doesn’t make them necessarily wrong. Tim Kelly and stack come to mind proving recruiters wrong.
In the case of Kelly he was not ready for AFL the first few times he was passed over. Clubs where not wrong. They waited until he showed the form needed.
Stack was more a call on how professional he was and if he would be distracted by of field issues. It is not like the Tigers had blind faith. They got him over and made him start pre season before going ahead.
The issue is not about being wrong but more making sure you revisit some of these guys who may not quite be ready for an AFL system at 18 or 19.

Fin ice Smuggler

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
In the case of Kelly he was not ready for AFL the first few times he was passed over. Clubs where not wrong. They waited until he showed the form needed.
Stack was more a call on how professional he was and if he would be distracted by of field issues. It is not like the Tigers had blind faith. They got him over and made him start pre season before going ahead.
The issue is not about being wrong but more making sure you revisit some of these guys who may not quite be ready for an AFL system at 18 or 19.
Yep and then was passed on 20 times in the draft he was taken, guess he wasn't ready then for 20 odd picks either 🙄

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
Yep and then was passed on 20 times in the draft he was taken, guess he wasn't ready then for 20 odd picks either 🙄
So what. Did not see you before the draft saying he was top ten ......
He went earlier than most expected including the Eagles who had the best inside line on him. He went where he did. There is no proven insight into how much a player may improve or not improve .🙄
He was on clubs radars. They where looking at how he was progressing. He even got better in his second year at the Cats. No one in any field of life gets all decisions they make 100% correct so I am not sure what going at pick 24 has to do with anything. All clubs can have the finger pointed at them for blokes they have passed on in the same way they can have their hits. You could find 50 plus players that you could say "got passed 20 times or 30 times" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

yodellinhank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
So what. Did not see you before the draft saying he was top ten ......
He went earlier than most expected including the Eagles who had the best inside line on him. He went where he did. There is no proven insight into how much a player may improve or not improve .🙄
Even if people did, what would they know? They aren't recruiters so their opinions would be dismissed. It's a good setup we got here.

Yoda_

Brownlow Medallist
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
My problem will continue to be the smartness he tries to do. Occasionally you just need to keep it simple and (one instance) just draft a kid too good to refuse.

owen87

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t know. Maybe injuries don’t walk out the door with the previous medical staff?
Also probably a bit of mayo applied to the article, likely most clubs would have their draftees and senior players on modified programs pre-Christmas anyway, which I'm going to assume they've counted as being 'not fit' when really it's just sensible player management.

Top Bottom