List Mgmt. Adrian Dodoro

Remove this Banner Ad

TDay

All Australian
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Is that the German Santa that kidnaps children if they’re inefficient?
That would be Krampus... see the link.
There's also a popular book of fairytales/morality stories for children.
It has stories such as "if you suck your thumb, a demon from the forest with giant scissors will come and cut it off". Kids are pretty well behaved here.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
That would be Krampus... see the link.
There's also a popular book of fairytales/morality stories for children.
It has stories such as "if you suck your thumb, a demon from the forest with giant scissors will come and cut it off". Kids are pretty well behaved here.

The Krampus movie is on SBS this Wednesday night.

IggypopsTshirt

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Top goal kickers since Lloyd left. Not the best sight

2010: Angus Monfries 24
2011: Stewart Crameri 34
2012: Stewart Crameri 32
2013: Stewart Crameri 30
2014: Joe Daniher 28
2015: Joe Daniher 34
2016: Joe Daniher 43
2017: Joe Daniher 65
2018: Jake Stringer 30
2019: Jake Stringer 34
That’s a ******* disgrace. #indodowetrust :drunk:

eth-dog

Premium Platinum
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
I really don’t get the dodo hate. I think he’s done an outstanding job from 2013 onwards. We’ve done well with late picks and done pretty well at the trade table too.
I understand it. He's struggled to build a balanced list and seems to go for too many mercurial players over your solid 20+ disposals, 4 clearance midfielders for example. He's had a good strike rate for later picks and picked some stars early such as Hurley and Heppell though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doug85

Capo di tutt'i capi
Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
I understand it. He's struggled to build a balanced list and seems to go for too many mercurial players over your solid 20+ disposals, 4 clearance midfielders for example. He's had a good strike rate for later picks and picked some stars early such as Hurley and Heppell though
I’m open to criticism of dodo. Some is definitely warranted. But I think he’s done a good job from 2013 onwards.

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
In fairness they don't matter in 2020, The core of our list is now from 2012-2018 (Including the players we traded in)
Of course they do. We don't know if he has been good since 2013 since its to early to call on a number of players.

But his history suggests they won't be good enough to win a flag.

dave10

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Of course they do. We don't know if he has been good since 2013 since its to early to call on a number of players.

But his history suggests they won't be good enough to win a flag.
There’s so much more to winning a flag in my view. I think Dodoro has done a very decent job the last 6-8 years. Remember he’s had to cop lost draft pick selections in the same period which makes what he’s done since about 2013 more impressive. This could have cost us two quality young players or potentially more potent trades. We will never know. Yes we lack strong bodied players and Sheedy like mongrel and that’s my criticism of his philosophy and results.

To me, the main factors we should be equally focussed on are weaknesses in no particular order: Standards & professionalism (hopefully back on track now with new fitness / coaching group), culture (apparent soft & lacking ruthlessness - likely outcome of the saga), on field leadership (apparent lack of ruthlessness, natural leaders and playing group alignment in this area).

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
We've had 20 years of failure, and during that time we've had one constant. Is it all his fault? No. But its an inescapable fact his ability to do his job successfully is vastly overrated on this board. He's meant to build lists that deliver premierships and he hasn't built one that has got past the first week of the finals.

60sbomber

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
We've had 20 years of failure, and during that time we've had one constant. Is it all his fault? No. But its an inescapable fact his ability to do his job successfully is vastly overrated on this board. He's meant to build lists that deliver premierships and he hasn't built one that has got past the first week of the finals.
I don't agree at all. Dodoro being in the role for 20yrs during which time we haven't won a flag, does not constitute cause and effect, just correlation.
There are many things that have to fall into place to win a flag, not just the list manager doing a good job of assembling a good playing group.
Nine clubs have won flags in the last 19yrs (10 if you want to start at 2000). Does that mean the other nine should all look to blame their list managers, coaches, CEOs, boards, leadership groups.......whatever, for their lack of the ultimate success?
I would argue the random bounce of a ball prevented St. Kilda from being a premiership team under Lyon. But Lyon should not be considered any lesser coach than if the ball had bounced the other way. Nor should St. Kilda's list manager, or any other contributing factor to their performance around that time, be blamed.
Granted we have not got even close, far from a bounce of a ball away, but the point is, you can't rationalise everything as contributing to an outcome when there a so many factors in play.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
A good place to highlight one of Dodo's old habits. Trying to 'win' trades. Has this philosophy actually changed/evolved over his tenure?
It's symptomatic of the clubs hubris for 20 years.

Add to that his self declared following of the Sheedy 'build the spine first' theory and subsequent failure to build a dominant midfield (in a dominant midfield era) and you get a dinosaur who hasn't evolved either his processes or our list in line with the requirements of success in modern football.

Edit; Add to this - no belief in data analytics for player recruitment either - T-Rex

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad