Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Of course it works both ways, but you can't label a player "not first round worthy" in a draft year he's comfortably in the top 15 players in the draft.
Sure you can. Angus Monfries did not have the career you'd expect from someone who was a pick 14. He was a failure at that pick.

Or is Hurley a failure at pick 5 because he's not in the top 5 of his draft?
Let's not pretend boncer34 didn't steal his arguments from oppo supporters who get offended every time dodo wins a trade ;)
Let's not pretend you don't agree with my views.

Sure you can. Angus Monfries did not have the career you'd expect from someone who was a pick 14. He was a failure at that pick.

Or is Hurley a failure at pick 5 because he's not in the top 5 of his draft?

Let's not pretend you don't agree with my views.
I would completely disagree. You can only work with the talent available, and over his career he's clearly one of the best players of his draft. Who would you have picked instead?

Hurley is top 5 in his draft IMO, and even if he wasn't it's borderline.

I would completely disagree. You can only work with the talent available, and over his career he's clearly one of the best players of his draft. Who would you have picked instead?

Hurley is top 5 in his draft IMO, and even if he wasn't it's borderline.
Nic Nat
Sidebottom
Schuey
Beams
Hanneberry

But putting that aside. If Hurley wasn't the 5th best is he a failure? Yes or no?

Nic Nat
Sidebottom
Schuey
Beams
Hanneberry

But putting that aside. If Hurley wasn't the 5th best is he a failure? Yes or no?
No. He's a star of the game, and he's had a better career than Hannebery.

So you want it both ways. Shock.

Using your criteria for Monfries being a pass, Hurley is a failure if he's not 5th best player.

Wish I was Dodoro, never being able to be wrong must be nice.

So you want it both ways. Shock.

Using your criteria for Monfries being a pass, Hurley is a failure if he's not 5th best player.

Wish I was Dodoro, never being able to be wrong must be nice.
No, I don't.

Where did I say he was never wrong? I said that Monfries can't be classified as a fail because he clearly falls in the first round of his particular year. Hurley also clearly falls in the top 10 and in many peoples opinion he falls in the top 5, just because you disagree is irrelevant. It's not black and white as you'd like it.

No, I don't.

Where did I say he was never wrong? I said that Monfries can't be classified as a fail because he clearly falls in the first round of his particular year. Hurley also clearly falls in the top 10 and in many peoples opinion he falls in the top 5, just because you disagree is irrelevant. It's not black and white as you'd like it.
It is black and white, your arguments aren't that complicated.

You've argued Monfries isn't a failure because compared to the rest of his draft he is worth the pick used, irrelevant of his performance as a player.

You've argued Hurley isn't a failure because his performance as a player makes him worth the pick used, regardless of comparisons to the rest of his draft.

You quite literally have changed arguments to suit the player.

It is black and white, your arguments aren't that complicated.

You've argued Monfries isn't a failure because compared to the rest of his draft he is worth the pick used, irrelevant of his performance as a player.

You've argued Hurley isn't a failure because his performance as a player makes him worth the pick used, regardless of comparisons to the rest of his draft.

You quite literally have changed arguments to suit the player.
I've also said Hurley is a top 5 player of his draft in my opinion, so I haven't. Just because you failed to trap me doesn't mean you need to get upset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've also said Hurley is a top 5 player of his draft in my opinion, so I haven't. Just because you failed to trap me doesn't mean you need to get upset.
I'm not upset nor have I haven't tried to trap you. I quite clearly said this:

Nic Nat
Sidebottom
Schuey
Beams
Hanneberry

When you replied no I assumed you answered on the merits of the question. But since you apparently didn't let's try again.

Putting aside debates on Hurley's worth if he isn't the 5th best (And going by this logic he doesn't need to be 5th best just better than those that came after) is he a pass or fail?

Make an effort bonce.
While you're trying to take failed cheap shots have a crack at addressing this post you ignored earlier

Yes lazy mentality is thinking let's draft AFL quality players. Accepting the mediocrity he's dished up as acceptable is the height of cutting edge productive behavior.

To a degree. Development is a bigger problem imo.

I was going to say this as well. It wouldn't matter if you draft all the right people if you keep developing them wrong and playing them out of position. Who knows how good some of the other players we drafted could've been if they'd been developed properly. And injury management needs to be considered as well.

That's not to say I support Dodo, just that there seems to be issues at a number of levels.

I was going to say this as well. It wouldn't matter if you draft all the right people if you keep developing them wrong and playing them out of position. Who knows how good some of the other players we drafted could've been if they'd been developed properly. And injury management needs to be considered as well.

That's not to say I support Dodo, just that there seems to be issues at a number of levels.
There absolutely has been multiple issues at multiple levels, nobody can disagree with that.

But for some reason if the suggestion is made that Dodoro is one of this issues some people lose their mind. We've had multiple coaches, fitness staff, development officers etc but he just keeps his job.

At some point he needs to move on just like all the other staff.

There absolutely has been multiple issues at multiple levels, nobody can disagree with that.

But for some reason if the suggestion is made that Dodoro is one of this issues some people lose their mind. We've had multiple coaches, fitness staff, development officers etc but he just keeps his job.

At some point he needs to move on just like all the other staff.

Every position should be reviewed periodically. I'm not sure how this works at the club, but no one should be untouchable.

A good place to highlight one of Dodo's old habits. Trying to 'win' trades. Has this philosophy actually changed/evolved over his tenure?
It's symptomatic of the clubs hubris for 20 years.

Add to that his self declared following of the Sheedy 'build the spine first' theory and subsequent failure to build a dominant midfield (in a dominant midfield era) and you get a dinosaur who hasn't evolved either his processes or our list in line with the requirements of success in modern football.

Edit; Add to this - no belief in data analytics for player recruitment either - T-Rex

“the Sheedy 'build the spine first' theory and subsequent failure to build a dominant midfield (in a dominant midfield era)”

Exactly...we haven’t figured out that all the Premiership sides of the last 20 years have gun midfields that run deep.

If it addressed any point I made I would have. :)

Dodoro is but one fraction of the problem, and too many pin too much on recruitment. The club is mediocre top to bottom.
It addressed your point.

Though admittedly it was a weak point to begin with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back