List Mgmt. Adrian Dodoro

Remove this Banner Ad

BomberARMY

All Australian
Mar 20, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys, come in peace.

Wanted to get opinions on Dodoro’s interview on SEN, specifically the comment he made about “I probably would’ve done the same thing” in terms of the Dogs not trading Dunkley for the offer they were given.

Does is seem odd that he would court a player, offer a kings ransom, get him to nominate and then not even make an offer that he himself would accept if the roles were reversed?

Don’t know if it was a slip of the tongue but you would think Dunkley couldn’t have been happy hearing that.
You guys hold soooo much value on Dodoro saying he probably wouldn't have done the deal either, have another listen without your Bulldogs headphones, he says he probably wouldn't because of the way he rated Dunkley as a person and footballer, NOT because it wasn't a good deal.. FFS, you and your supporter mates can twist sh*t to suit your narratives...

Rebellya

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys, come in peace.

Wanted to get opinions on Dodoro’s interview on SEN, specifically the comment he made about “I probably would’ve done the same thing” in terms of the Dogs not trading Dunkley for the offer they were given.

Does is seem odd that he would court a player, offer a kings ransom, get him to nominate and then not even make an offer that he himself would accept if the roles were reversed?

Don’t know if it was a slip of the tongue but you would think Dunkley couldn’t have been happy hearing that.
he is just saying ‘no hard feelings, he’s a quality player and I would have kept him too’.

edit: oops too slow. And what bomberArmy said!

Godzke

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
You guys hold soooo much value on Dodoro saying he probably wouldn't have done the deal either, have another listen without your Bulldogs headphones, he says he probably wouldn't because of the way he rated Dunkley as a person and footballer, NOT because it wasn't a good deal.. FFS, you and your supporter mates can twist sh*t to suit your narratives...
Whilst your correct, that was a little bit aggressive

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan, Celtic
i dunno.
I felt the same.
Here's a deal for Dunkley. I wouldn't do it, but here it is
Either way, he felt it should take more to get Dunkley.

Good deal, perhaps. But the deal to get it done? Nope
Why ****ing bother then.

If we were serious, Dunkley would be an essendon player.
We weren't, he isn't, we move on.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan, Celtic
We offered similar trade currency to both the Neale & Shiel trades.

Saying he wouldn't have done the deal either in the Bulldogs shoes doesn't mean it wasn't a good offer from Essendon.
From what i've read, we offered 8 & F2 (same F2 that we needed for Caldwell)
That is less than Shiel (2x 1sts w/2nd coming). Points wise it may work, but points weren't the primary driver

Should have put 8 & F1 on the table w/ their 1st pick this year coming back.
They could have split 8 to get the points required for JUH

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
From what i've read, we offered 8 & F2 (same F2 that we needed for Caldwell)
That is less than Shiel (2x 1sts w/2nd coming). Points wise it may work, but points weren't the primary driver

Should have put 8 & F1 on the table w/ their 1st pick this year coming back.
They could have split 8 to get the points required for JUH
You assume they were even acting in good faith and that they weren't simply asking for an obscene trade value.

8 + F1 (assume 6 as per this year) is more than any player has ever been traded for.

Is Dunkley a generational midfielder? Because that's what they asked for.

We offered 7 + F2 (in what's regarded as a very strong draft) with nothing coming back. That's on-par with Shiel & Neale level currency if you work it out. We also offered a 3 way trade, that they knocked back, without any suggestion they tried to work with either Essendon or Collingwood to make it more worthwhile to them.

You're assuming they could do this, or that, or the other. It seems the Bulldogs simply didn't want to do any of the above.

You also keep going on about this F2 being needed for Caldwell, but it's pretty clear we were sitting on the Caldwell deal until the Dunkley deal finally fell over. If the Dunkley deal had gone through, i'm sure they'd have offered something else to GWS for Caldwell.

Ultimately we have totally opposing views on this trade period, so there's little point going on, and on, and on, about it.

fairbump_playon

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
You assume they were even acting in good faith and that they weren't simply asking for an obscene trade value.

8 + F1 (assume 6 as per this year) is more than any player has ever been traded for.

Is Dunkley a generational midfielder? Because that's what they asked for.

We offered 7 + F2 (in what's regarded as a very strong draft) with nothing coming back. That's on-par with Shiel & Neale level currency if you work it out. We also offered a 3 way trade, that they knocked back, without any suggestion they tried to work with either Essendon or Collingwood to make it more worthwhile to them.

You're assuming they could do this, or that, or the other. It seems the Bulldogs simply didn't want to do any of the above.

You also keep going on about this F2 being needed for Caldwell, but it's pretty clear we were sitting on the Caldwell deal until the Dunkley deal finally fell over. If the Dunkley deal had gone through, i'm sure they'd have offered something else to GWS for Caldwell.

Ultimately we have totally opposing views on this trade period, so there's little point going on, and on, and on, about it.
They didn’t have to act in good faith, all they had to do was set a price they liked. Before getting Dunkley to go public we surely should have had a good idea of what that price would be?

Regardless of what price was fair - didn’t we know what the price would be? That’s what I keep getting stuck on.

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
They didn’t have to act in good faith, all they had to do was set a price they liked. Before getting Dunkley to go public we surely should have had a good idea of what that price would be?

Regardless of what price was fair - didn’t we know what the price would be? That’s what I keep getting stuck on.
Who really knows what went on behind the scenes.

I was surprised when his manager came out and publicly said he wanted to be traded at all given how unlikely it was the trade was going to get done.

Yoda_

Brownlow Medallist
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

What I can;t get my head around is the Dogs shifting of the goal posts.

(i) We're not trading him

(ii) yeah, we might trade him

(iii) ok, give us the most demanding trade in history or you're not having him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't really complain about this guy this year. Maybe next year.
Yep, seemed to pick pretty safely. No second round selections probably helped that.

All 3 first round selections have AFL standard tanks on them, no real injury queries and are all good sizes for the potential positions they’ll play.

Similar for Eyre and Brand, though they were gimme’s really.

A strong draft to build our spine for the future we’d be hoping, along with the potential for Cox to play as a tall wingman giving us better overhead ability, and Perkins being a really exciting player to watch what he could become.

No real complaints from me, it’s clearly a draft aimed for the long term with all the talls.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Happy with the national draft.

They were the obvious three in the end.

I still think we should be doing better with mature-age players late in the draft and in the rookie draft. Redrafting Gleeson instead of taking one, doesn't feel right with me.

However, I think keeping spots open for midseason might be very smart. Plenty of opportunity for a 19-year-old to surprise next year.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Happy with the national draft.

They were the obvious three in the end.

I still think we should be doing better with mature-age players late in the draft and in the rookie draft. Redrafting Gleeson instead of taking one, doesn't feel right with me.

However, I think keeping spots open for midseason might be very smart. Plenty of opportunity for a 19-year-old to surprise next year.
I'm fairly certain we had to select him because Gleeson is contracted. He met a trigger clause in his contract for an extra year.
Clarke is obviously still contracted so not much can be done.

MiguelM

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Liking the long term approach from the club in terms of recruiting. It is about time we built the list properly. Getting the talls in early is a smart move IMO, esp with Hooker, Hurley & Ambrose getting a bit long in the tooth. It is the right timeframe as they will take 2-3 years to develop.

We can now target midfielders next year having had more time looking at Parish, Caldwell, etc & how they emerge. Maybe even Perkins might get a game or two.

For the record, IMO, I think Parish will have a breakout year, fingers crossed anyway.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
If we were to move him on - right now post draft (and trade period) would be the time to part ways.
It would give a newcomer plenty of time to get up to speed with where our list is at. I don't think you ever want to part with your list manager right before or during the draft and trade period.

I don't think Dodoro is as bad as some people say but he's still been at the club a very lengthy time without success.
Wonder if the club is enquiring or if its business as usual.

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
If we were to move him on - right now post draft (and trade period) would be the time to part ways.
It would give a newcomer plenty of time to get up to speed with where our list is at. I don't think you ever want to part with your list manager right before or during the draft and trade period.

I don't think Dodoro is as bad as some people say but he's still been at the club a very lengthy time without success.
Wonder if the club is enquiring or if its business as usual.
I don’t think Dodoro is going anywhere. There isn’t any whispers about anything of the sort, no one influential is gunning for him in the media (Caro and Damo aren’t stirring the pot, none of the Essendon people like Watson, Lloyd are bitching about it, and none of the other journos that usually get leaks if there’s internal friction either), and he is typically well liked or at least tolerated by most Essendon supporters, at least outside of BigFooty.

There’s also a massive amount of rationalising going on regarding the length of his tenure, anything before 2007 is irrelevant because we didn’t put any funding into the department and then Sheedy was too influential and seemed to have lost the plot.

After that you get the saga influences and the revolving door of leadership that basically bins the entire rebuild that Knights and then Hird and Bomber were part of, which Woosha inherited, half got suspended, the other half left, then Campbell and Richardson got a say in whether we’d bring in this or let go of that and rebuild etc. which seems to be more of an arrogant face-saving exercise almost akin to corporate greed in the end.

What they should do is put a broom through the department, if not Dodoro himself then everyone else who gets to put an oar in, but who knows if the replacements would be capable right now. We do need some fresh blood but on the other hand I’d much prefer Dodoro to Guy, McCartney or Bains for starters.

Fin ice Smuggler

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I love Dodoro. At the moment he is the 1 grain of true Essendon we have. We’ve finally started to rebuild and the onus now is on the club and coaching staff to develop the kids. Something we have lacked in last 20 years.

Next year may look similar if looking at results but I think it will be a glass half full year rather than a glass half empty. The results will have nothing to do with Dodoro.

Remove this Banner Ad