Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

You can not deny that it was some seriously good work to get all 3 deals done.
All jokes aside the Dogs look like they have turned a total balls up into something worthwhile in the end by getting pick 16 and Scache to go with pick 9.

Yeah have to give credit to them. in some ways it makes me feel good that they manged to salvage their trade period after losing a qaulity player.

So a thread that seemed rather far fetched & whimsical last year, to say the least, has actually delivered.....Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

The only thing you blokes seemingly missed out on, was pick 19 for Mopflop.:p

Just because you haven’t noticed his good work until now, doesn’t necessarily mean he hasn’t been doing good work until now

You can not deny that it was some seriously good work to get all 3 deals done.
All jokes aside the Dogs look like they have turned a total balls up into something worthwhile in the end by getting pick 16 and Scache to go with pick 9.

They did manage to salvage something but I reckon they've only come out evens, if that. They've given up Stringer, 28 and what will probably end up a decent 2nd round pick next year for 16 and Schache.

eh

Today on HARDchat we have been granted an interview with Adrian Dodoro,

upload_2018-5-1_8-17-13.png Hello Adrian, i'm going to ask you the hard questions today..

upload_2018-5-1_8-17-48.png Hi Howard, come at me brah

upload_2018-5-1_8-18-16.png You were pretty happy with yourself after your of seasons work, how would you rate it?

upload_2018-5-1_8-19-12.png yeh I was awesome, did you see those three players I got through the door?

upload_2018-5-1_8-19-42.png Woah there - ease up, some might say you neglected the midfield, an area we have been repeatedly caught short in

upload_2018-5-1_8-22-23.png Excuse me?
upload_2018-5-1_8-22-46.png Our midfield?

upload_2018-5-1_8-23-2.png oh sorry, I don't actually know that word, I fell over as a kid and it caused a peculiar damage to a wedge of my brain, that word isn't actually in my vocabulary, like voldemort... my brain hasn't ever allowed my lips to conjugate or verbalise the term.. when you say it all i see is a blank space - I wouldn't even know how to spell it, go on ask me , I dunno, does it have a silent k in there somewhere?

upload_2018-5-1_8-25-22.png Woah there - you are trying to tell me you have been our list manager for over a decade yet you have no knowledge of the word, term or idea of a midfielder?

upload_2018-5-1_8-26-15.png Sorry Howard, Im seeing a blank there.. a m m m midiclorian? a m m monster, a m m minefielder...? I'm trying, i've been trying so hard, but that word...whatever it is just will not resonate in my mind. Half backs I can do, what if we move the half back line up the ground into the centre, does that make them m m meddlesomer players?

We'll be right back after these messages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today on HARDchat we have been granted an interview with Adrian Dodoro,

View attachment 490599Hello Adrian, i'm going to ask you the hard questions today..

View attachment 490600Hi Howard, come at me brah

View attachment 490601 You were pretty happy with yourself after your of seasons work, how would you rate it?

View attachment 490602yeh I was awesome, did you see those three players I got through the door?

View attachment 490603Woah there - ease up, some might say you neglected the midfield, an area we have been repeatedly caught short in

View attachment 490605Excuse me?
View attachment 490607Our midfield?

View attachment 490608oh sorry, I don't actually know that word, I fell over as a kid and it caused a peculiar damage to a wedge of my brain, that word isn't actually in my vocabulary, like voldemort... my brain hasn't ever allowed my lips to conjugate or verbalise the term.. when you say it all i see is a blank space - I wouldn't even know how to spell it, go on ask me , I dunno, does it have a silent k in there somewhere?

View attachment 490610Woah there - you are trying to tell me you have been our list manager for over a decade yet you have no knowledge of the word, term or idea of a midfielder?

View attachment 490611Sorry Howard, Im seeing a blank there.. a m m m midiclorian? a m m monster, a m m minefielder...? I'm trying, i've been trying so hard, but that word...whatever it is just will not resonate in my mind. Half backs I can do, what if we move the half back line up the ground into the centre, does that make them m m meddlesomer players?

We'll be right back after these messages.

upload_2018-5-1_10-31-13.png Ease up there bro, I've asked young Adrian to focus on flankers. Slingshot out of defence is the way of the future don't you know?

upload_2018-5-1_10-35-38.png You did what now? How can we slingshot when we don't have the ball.

upload_2018-5-1_10-37-14.png Who are you anyway? I'm a premiership winning coach so respect my authoritah!

upload_2018-5-1_10-38-32.png Umm... Judd, Cousins, Kerr formed one of the best midfields of all time. There's your premiership.

upload_2018-5-1_10-41-43.png Yeah but we had flankers too.

upload_2018-5-1_10-44-3.png But not in the ******* midfield John.

upload_2018-5-1_10-45-9.png
Is this right Adrian?

upload_2018-5-1_10-46-25.png Ummm... I'm not wearing any jackets today.

Are we allowed to talk about this guy? Do we still think he's some untouchable genius?

He's been at the club 21 years and what exactly has he delivered?

Surely its just about time to start asking for him to clear out his locker?

Last edited:
Its hard to fault him
I can't think of many drafts i've walked away from thinking we ballsed up picks.
Steinberg over Parker i found odd. Morgan in general, but Redman has turned out well.

And we have been able to keep our best (that didnt want during the ASADA stuff) whilst landing the likes of Shiel, Smith, Stringer and Saad.

I would seriously question our development program.
We are, and have been for a while, poorly coached.

Its hard to fault him
I can't think of many drafts i've walked away from thinking we ballsed up picks.
Steinberg over Parker i found odd. Morgan in general, but Redman has turned out well.

And we have been able to keep our best (that didnt want during the ASADA stuff) whilst landing the likes of Shiel, Smith, Stringer and Saad.

I would seriously question our development program.
We are, and have been for a while, poorly coached.
First reply and the response I expected.

In 20 years he hasn't stuffed it? It's been the multiple different coaches?

First reply and the response I expected.

In 20 years he hasn't stuffed it? It's been the multiple different coaches?
Hard to blame him for player development, coaching, effort, game plan

The draftees and signings are good at the time.
replace him or not, i don't think it will fix things

I wouldn't be so frustrated if i didn't see a list with potential to be better.

His inability to draft quality genuine midfielders when we were crying out for them for so long is damning.

Has done better on the trade front.
This. I dont think trading for players is the issue. Getting in blokes like Saad, Smith, Stringer and Shiel is a win in my book. Imagine how much worse we'd be without them. Drafting for young talent is the problem atm, safe to say he's got a few wrong there, in particular in the mid 2000s to even more recent drafts.

Fact of the matter is we have been crap for a long time, it all trickles down, just because he hasn't been the problem doesn't mean he should be safe.

I too am sick to death of drafting flankers and trying to change them into midfielders instead of just drafting midfielders.

Hard to blame him for player development, coaching, effort, game plan

The draftees and signings are good at the time.
replace him or not, i don't think it will fix things

I wouldn't be so frustrated if i didn't see a list with potential to be better.
The draftees are good based on what?

Wouldn’t say he’s untouchable but his drafting isn’t especially bad. Mostly picked decent enough players, the odd howler, the odd gem.

Fantasia and Merrett were quality late gets; Steinberg probably the biggest howler.

I’d say generally our youth development is lacking, along with a top-line head coach. Wouldn’t turn out Dodoro just yet but would like to see a new face given more opportunity or input in the talent ID process - hell, employ eDPS who seems passionate about watching the juniors without having any kind of commercial obligation to do so.

What we need is our next Sheedy; someone who will drag the club and players forward, instead of expecting Dodoro to recruit a superstar every year.

Our drafting is about average, not exceptional but not terrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back