Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

adsla69k

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s pretty spot specific but Dodoros failings have come down to three players. Parker, Oliver and Worpel. All and sundry identified these players as needs for us predraft. Missed with Parker and didn’t trade up to guarantee Oliver or Worpel.
Worpel was a 1st round pick for me all year. Now we drafted Ridley who looks a nice player but we skipped the chance to draft Battle a number of times. He would have been handy last night.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Truth.

I probably come across as some huge defender of our recruiting but I’m not really, I just don’t think you can look at it in the totality of the club and conclude it’s the problem.

The answer is always “oh well the head guy has been there 15 years”

I’d rather hear about the actual errors he’s made than his length of tenure.

People also like to forget that his first 5 years under Sheedy he had little say over anything, and the other 10 years includes four years of the biggest atomic bomb to ever be dropped on a club in the sports’s history.

Great response...

I'm more concerned with the development of our players after being drafted.

I'm also concerned with the development of our academy players? We are way behind the 8 ball in getting in free hits where once we were pioneers with father sons and recruiting out of the Northern Territory.

Who's been our best academy player?

We've also been on the wrong side of competition rules missing out on gumbleton Selwood combo after winning less than 5 games 1 year, then having to use pick 10 for joe Daniher under father son when previously clubs like cats were getting generation players like Ablett and Hawkins in 3rd round. That pick 10 could have been used on grundy?

Needless to say we haven't for some time targeted a draft to load up with high end draft picks to secure pure mids? We had an opportunity with parish and Francis? Missed on Oliver by 1 pick.

Had we drafted mcluggage, setterfield or Taranto instead of McGrath? Would we be better off? I doubt our development would have made them better players, Taranto would/could have been Langford #2.

If he’s not doing a good job.

Sheedy’s time was well past up.

Knights was a disaster.

Hird and Bomber, let’s not even go there.

I don’t think you can say Dodoro has been “getting a free pass” while these guys got the bullet for him.

The fact is we’ve long made very poor choices when it comes to coaching.

We kept Sheedy too long

Knights was a s**thouse coach

Hird / Bomber say no more

Woosh was actually a very good appointment, our first one. He did a great job in 2016 and 2017.

The fact we haven’t improved a jot in two years since can hardly be laid at the recruiting staff. What exactly have they got wrong over the last couple of years?
Except I didn't say he got a free pass while they took the bullet for him.

I'm saying he is part of the problem.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Truth.

I probably come across as some huge defender of our recruiting but I’m not really, I just don’t think you can look at it in the totality of the club and conclude it’s the problem.

The answer is always “oh well the head guy has been there 15 years”

I’d rather hear about the actual errors he’s made than his length of tenure.

People also like to forget that his first 5 years under Sheedy he had little say over anything, and the other 10 years includes four years of the biggest atomic bomb to ever be dropped on a club in the sports’s history.

I have to say I am looking at Dunkley and wondering WTF?

Wasn't even part of the discussion. Guy's the new JPK and it was always on the cards. Just a query about his kicking, ironically enough (given the quality of Parish's kicking).

Herein lies a genuine point of criticism. We always seem to avoid taking the beast.

Last edited:

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
List management is more than just the recruitment of good players. It is the construction of a list that fits well together, complements each other and meets the needs of the coaching staff.

Dodoro has recruited good players but he has never created a great list. It is a list that has failed consistently under a variety of coaches.

An example of poor list management is Dodoro's obsession with under sized midfielders. There is no denying the talent of Merrett or Shiel or Smith or Parish or McGrath in isolation. But would a good list manager build an entire midfield around these smaller types?

In correcting for that flaw he regularly drafts flankers, mostly undersized forwards with no ideal position, who we try to transform into big bodied midfielders. It has never yet worked.

Good list managers can regularly revitalise playing lists. The West Coast's and Collingwood's and Hawthorn's, even the Adelaide's, have managed multiple successful rebuilds in the time we have failed to manage one.

The fault for that doesn't solely lie on Dodoro's shoulders but he is a factor. And a big one at that.

What has he got so wrong?
You want me to ride quarterback on his list decisions? I can do that and you can point out hindsight is easier and we can spend 3 pages going back and forth but we're above that.

Is our poor performance due to onfield issues and coaching? Absolutely. But it also comes down to his obsession with picking flankers and trying to shoehorn them into becoming mids.

Langford, bless him, is a key example. He's a HFF but he's being shoved into the middle, you say that's coaching, I say it's coaching and we don't have an alternative because our list management hasn't provided one.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
You want me to ride quarterback on his list decisions? I can do that and you can point out hindsight is easier and we can spend 3 pages going back and forth but we're above that.

Is our poor performance due to onfield issues and coaching? Absolutely. But it also comes down to his obsession with picking flankers and trying to shoehorn them into becoming mids.

Langford, bless him, is a key example. He's a HFF but he's being shoved into the middle, you say that's coaching, I say it's coaching and we don't have an alternative because our list management hasn't provided one.

The midfield is always what’s pointed to but seriously...

McGrath was an elite junior mid and won the Rising Star in his first year

Parish had a cracker of first season and is now a fringe player

We plucked Merrett in the 20s who’s an All Australian

Laverde was hailed as having genuine big-bodied mid potential pre-draft - https://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-10/17-days-to-the-draft-meet-jayden-laverde - he’s basically been exclusively injured since he got to the club and even when he’s got out there, hasn’t been able to build a tank to play midfield. Now he seems to just sit in the goalsquare. Or plays reserves behind the likes of Myers and Baguley.

Begley was a contested mid / forward as a junior and stated pre-draft that’s what he wanted (“to play like Ollie Wines”)... he plays now as some weird undersized key forward (though of course has been injured)

Dylan Clarke late in the draft who’s now playing seniors

Landed Smith for a bargain who promptly won the B&F in his first season and is now injured.

Landed Shiel

It’s not hindsight to say he has targeted mids and done fairly well. Yeah he missed a few... so has every club.

He didn’t move Langford into the midfield and hasn’t taken young mids and moved them forward either.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa

Laverde was hailed as having genuine big-bodied mid potential pre-draft - https://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-10/17-days-to-the-draft-meet-jayden-laverde - he’s basically been exclusively injured since he got to the club and even when he’s got out there, hasn’t been able to build a tank to play midfield. Now he seems to just sit in the goalsquare. Or plays reserves behind the likes of Myers and Baguley.

Begley was a contested mid / forward as a junior and stated pre-draft that’s what he wanted (“to play like Ollie Wines”)... he plays now as some weird undersized key forward (though of course has been injured)

Landed Smith for a bargain who promptly won the B&F in his first season and is now injured.

Landed Shiel

It’s not hindsight to say he has targeted mids and done fairly well. Yeah he missed a few... so has every club.

He didn’t move Langford into the midfield and hasn’t taken young mids and moved them forward either.
I wouldn’t call Parish a fringe player. I think he’s proven he’s well and truly best 22.

Landed Shiel

I could've landed McGrath and Smith/Shiel were proven AFL quality so I'm not patting him on the back for them.

Merrett was a good pick. Laverde had potential but it clearly says he played HB, Wing, HF in the article. What was wrong with picking a bloke that played inside mid instead of one that had potential?

Begley played primarily forward, again what was wrong with picking a player the played primarily a mid?

Clarke's a tagger with average disposal. Give me a crack at the draft, I'll find you a tagger no worries.

Hmm.... guess we're not better than that. 😂

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Landed Shiel

It’s not hindsight to say he has targeted mids and done fairly well. Yeah he missed and few... so has every club.

Focusing purely on talent, with little regard to fit, ignores much of what a good list manager does.

Is our salary cap best used on a half dozen under sized midfield types that all have similar strengths and deficiencies?

A good list manager develops a list capable of working together cohesively. It is not to simply stockpile raw talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I have to say I am looking at Dunkley and wondering WTF?

Wasn't even part of the discussion. Guy's the new JPK and it was always on the cards. Just a query about his kicking, ironically enough (given the quality of Parish's kicking).

Herein lies a genuine point of criticism. We always seem to avoid taking the beast.
Tend to think this is the only glaring gap in his drafting/recruiting over the last few years.

Seems like he doesn’t either understand or really value the inside/contested mid role. It’s a ******* terrifying place to play and not everyone has the psychological make up (Kav, NOB), physical traits (Kav again) or skills (Myers) to succeed there

Turning flankers into big mids is always unlikely - if they had the aggression, body, running ability and clean hands to do it, they’d have been most likely doing it as juniors. You might pull a rabbit out of the hat occasionally but it’s not a sustainable strategy.

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
Dodoro has recruited good players but he has never created a great list. It is a list that has failed consistently under a variety of coaches.

The fault for that doesn't solely lie on Dodoro's shoulders but he is a factor. And a big one at that.
I hope you don't mind that I've trimmed your post to two statements... these are to link to my point, rather than take away from your post.

I'm still of the opinion that the drug saga has killed any additions for our squad over the last seven years.

Rather than have our list development flourish over the period, our regularity of finishing just outside the 8 to 14th over many years meant we never got the best of the best. We got the best of the rest. Players who had kicking flaws, outside players versus inside players, half backs instead of full bull mids.

The one year we finished at the bottom and we got number 1 selection (poor decision still by the AFL, for mine) we got the top pick. I'm still in the McGrath camp and think he will have much more upside to his game than the others in his class. He's not a bust in any way to me, as yet.

The drug saga is what has stymied the club, where we were in a real catch 22. Discard many players after the ban was over and the club would have come out looking poor, possibly prolonging the PR fallout for more years than it actually was. But in doing so and recommitting to so many players that were mid level has, in my opinion, left us where we are today. We are still suffering from this period. While I felt that some of the list turn over should have been much more than now (read over 50% of our player threads to work out who should be gone), this is where I have lost some faith in the club.

The other waste has been getting these kids into the system and not playing them. There is no reward for form, which is killing guys in the seconds in advancing their careers. This is very dangerous, for the development that we have put into these players to then be shipped of to other clubs for them to flourish.

Out of all my observations above, this doesn't relate to Dodoro in most ways. His work is predominantly done from August through March, where the rest of the year he just tries to don as many jackets as possible and throw as many Minties down his gob that he can.

He doesn't pick the team and he doesn't run the match day tactics. That responsibility is left to others in the system.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I could've landed McGrath and Smith/Shiel were proven AFL quality so I'm not patting him on the back for them.

Merrett was a good pick. Laverde had potential but it clearly says he played HB, Wing, HF in the article. What was wrong with picking a bloke that played inside mid instead of one that had potential?

Begley played primarily forward, again what was wrong with picking a player the played primarily a mid?

Clarke's a tagger with average disposal. Give me a crack at the draft, I'll find you a tagger no worries.

Hmm.... guess we're not better than that. 😂

Focusing purely on talent, with little regard to fit, ignores much of what a good list manager does.

Is our salary cap best used on a half dozen under sized midfield types that all have similar strengths and deficiencies?

A good list manager develops a list capable of working together cohesively. It is not to simply stockpile raw talent.
This is the thing. It’s not about patting him on the back. It’s about the critics saying what he realistically should’ve done other than what he did.

It’s always about the midfield.

We had pick 1 which he used on the best midfielder in the draft. He won the rising star. It was clearly a good pick.

Who should he have taken instead of Laverde? Who was available in that draft was a better inside mid prospect than him?

Then we had pick 5 and he used it in the best available mid in Parish. Yep, we used the next on Francis... but who should we have taken? Who are all these inside mids we should’ve taken with pick 6?

Who should we have taken instead of Begley? Who were the available inside mids?

This is the thing. People say he hasn’t built the right list and the midfield is the problem. At every turn there he’s taken the best midfield prospect. And they’ve failed due to date to injury / lack of development. And it’s all on him?

Clarke has shown an ability to find the ball. Yeah his disposal isn’t world class. Few inside mids are. He was pick 63 ffs and he’s a best 22 player. Who else would you have taken if it was so easy to find somebody?

He gets no credit for Smith. He was a small forward at GWS who was traded in for a bargain and straight away wins the B&F as a mid... that was fantastic recruiting. If it was so obvious, why did no other club try it?

On top of that we were forced to give an additional year to Watson, Hocking and Stanton as mids in 2017 because they served their bans - all of whom were clearly cooked.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Not to mention loading up about 1.7m on KPDs.

I suspect we'll be chasing Jack Martin too.

How many contested ball winners on our list are better than Toby McLean who is probably 6 or 7 at the Dogs.

We have 1, novelty Stringer clearance aside, and that's Dyl Clarke who cannot hit the side of a barn by foot.

Only thing that saves Dodoro as far as I'm concerned is the collective 10 quarters played by Laverde, Begley, Ridley and Redman in the middle in the past two seasons.

That's where all the strength and class on the list is.

Last edited:
How many contested ball winners on our list are better than Toby McLean who is probably 6 or 7 at the Dogs.

We have 1, novelty Stringet clearance aside, and that's Dyl Clarke who cannot hit the side of a barn by foot.

Only thing that saves Dodoro as far as I'm concerned is the collective 10 quarters played by Laverde, Begley, Ridley and Redman in the middle in the past two seasons.

That's where all the strength and class on the list is.
wut? Better contested ball winners than Toby McLean? McLean averages 5.9 CP this year. We have 19 players with a better season average than that. :drunk:

This is the thing. It’s not about patting him on the back. It’s about the critics saying what he realistically should’ve done other than what he did.

It’s always about the midfield.

We had pick 1 which he used on the best midfielder in the draft. He won the rising star. It was clearly a good pick.

Who should he have taken instead of Laverde? Who was available in that draft was a better inside mid prospect than him?

Then we had pick 5 and he used it in the best available mid in Parish. Yep, we used the next on Francis... but who should we have taken? Who are all these inside mids we should’ve taken with pick 6?

Who should we have taken instead of Begley? Who were the available inside mids?

This is the thing. People say he hasn’t built the right list and the midfield is the problem. At every turn there he’s taken the best midfield prospect. And they’ve failed due to date to injury / lack of development. And it’s all on him?

Clarke has shown an ability to find the ball. Yeah his disposal isn’t world class. Few inside mids are. He was pick 63 ffs and he’s a best 22 player. Who else would you have taken if it was so easy to find somebody?

He gets no credit for Smith. He was a small forward at GWS who was traded in for a bargain and straight away wins the B&F as a mid... that was fantastic recruiting. If it was so obvious, why did no other club try it?

On top of that we were forced to give an additional year to Watson, Hocking and Stanton as mids in 2017 because they served their bans - all of whom were clearly cooked.
Mate.

I'm not doing this, at no stage have I put all the blame on Dodoro. I've repeatedly said he's a part of the problem, not the whole.

And yet you keep throwing out lines like "and it's all on him?"

I think he's part of the problem. Not all.

Do you think he's totally blameless?

Oct 4, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I think there probably is a case to make for a shake up in the recruiting department but from the quick list I threw together below (all my opinion mind you and a few could be argued but I think it’s pretty close to reality) i think it’s clear the real problems lie in development and player/injury management. I havnt mentioned all players as some are just spuds (z.clarke) and others have probably already reached their best (sheil) and have played to that level this season.

The improvement lists are so far off the other 3 lists it’s a joke (8 improve vs 21 injured/stagnant/dropped off). No team is challenging for anything with those stats). Of course our list has holes but by and large the talent is there. It’s just being utilised and managed in a terrible fashion. Who does this buck stop with? Well probably multiple people. If they do end up giving Worsfold the boot I really hope they shake up the departments involved with injury management and player utilisation (development?) because we will not go far if we have season after season so affected by injury and player mismanagement (played out of position etc).

CLEAR IMPROVEMENT
  • Redman

MODEST IMPROVEMENT
  • Stringer (utilised better mostly)
  • Mckenna
  • Saad
  • Parish
  • Brown
  • Ambrose
  • D.Clarke

STAGNATED
  • Francis (Been ok but if you check footywire it’s clear he is just not marking the ball this year. Could be instruction/coaching based?)
  • Hurley (not sure he can improve but still yet to really hit his straps this year then injured)
  • Walla (could make a case for modest improvement but just too inconsistent imo)
  • Hartley
  • Laverde
  • McGrath
  • Houlahan

LARGELY INJURY AFFECTED
  • Daniher
  • Stewart
  • Fantasia
  • Smith
  • Hooker (been good but clearly playing injured for half the season)
  • Begley (could be in stagnated group if not for ACL affected start)
  • Draper (was on the improve prior to ACL)
  • Heppell (stagnated a bit mostly 2nd part of the season with footy injury)
  • Bellchambers (could be in the stagnant category)

CLEAR DROP OFF
  • Zaharakis
  • Myers
  • Baguley
  • Ridley (after being dropped and then made to play out of position. Prior was probably a modest improver or stagnant)
  • Langford
Makes for some pretty sad reading 😔.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Mate.

I'm not doing this, at no stage have I put all the blame on Dodoro. I've repeatedly said he's a part of the problem, not the whole.

And yet you keep throwing out lines like "and it's all on him?"

I think he's part of the problem. Not all.

Do you think he's totally blameless?

You also haven’t explained exactly what you think he’s done wrong

I don’t think he’s done much wrong. In fact, over the last five years I think he’s done a very good job considering what he’s had to deal with.

At our best we’re up there. This season and last we’ve beaten Geelong, West Coast, GWS twice, and run Collingwood and Richmond to a goal. This group is capable of mixing it with the top sides.

Performance and effort like that are brought far too rarely. And along with the average games we have these matches where we clearly just implode, like last night, or repeatedly early in the season. We apply zero effort or pressure.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
wut? Better contested ball winners than Toby McLean? McLean averages 5.9 CP this year. We have 19 players with a better season average than that. :drunk:

McLean plays mostly forward because he's crafty around goal and not as good as Bont, Dunkley, Libba, McRae, Smith and Wallis as an inside mid and not as effective on a wing or outside as Hunter, Richards, Lipinski and JJ.

He is a very good winner of actual contested footy not loose ball gets that CD classifies as contested possessions.

Are we seriously going to rely on numbers so we can ignore the obvious that we dont have enough inside strength and ability?

Last edited:
You also haven’t explained exactly what you think he’s done wrong

I don’t think he’s done much wrong. In fact, over the last five years I think he’s done a very good job considering what he’s had to deal with.

At our best we’re up there. This season and last we’ve beaten Geelong, West Coast, GWS twice, and run Collingwood and Richmond to a goal. This group is capable of mixing it with the top sides.

Performance and effort like that are brought far too rarely. And along with the average games we have these matches where we clearly just implode, like last night, or repeatedly early in the season. We apply zero effort or pressure.
Ok we have different opinions of him.

Cool, I'm moving on. :)

It’s pretty spot specific but Dodoros failings have come down to three players. Parker, Oliver and Worpel. All and sundry identified these players as needs for us predraft. Missed with Parker and didn’t trade up to guarantee Oliver or Worpel.

We missed Worpel by three or four selections and it's not easy to trade up at the pointy end of the draft Lots of hero hindsight in your post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back