Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Dodo would have only done kept Joe knowing they'll be able to match/beat any offer Sydney present next year. What then?

Why would you match a deal for JD next year ? That's being petty and small-minded.

Why would you match a deal for JD next year ? That's being petty and small-minded.
It's clear our intentions are to try and keep him, really if he wants to stay or not. Otherwise we would've traded him this year.

Sydney will have to trade for him if they can't beat our offer (correct me if I'm wrong).

Just letting him walk for nothing would be a horrible decision. It's at least worth a shot.

Its doing the best thing for the club, you dont actually match the offer, you say you will unless the swans trade for him. Its what the crows and cats did with dangerfield.

Would you want compensation or not?

Dodo has got plenty of work to do next year getting some signatures. 16 players on the main list OOC next year. Joe, Heppell, Mcgrath and Saad are the most important. Gleeson, Ridley, Ham and Mozzie id be very happy to see sign on. Bellchambers, Begley, Gown, Langford, Laverde, McKernan, Mutch and Stewart all in their final year as well.
Could be good for us.

I have long maintained that having Begley, Langford, Laverde and Stringer on the same list is too much of the same type of player.

Stringer is a lock for the 22, so he obviously stays. So in reality we need to keep a max of two of Begley, Laverde and Langford. Lav was made available this year so he has the work to do I suppose.

Could be good for us.

I have long maintained that having Begley, Langford, Laverde and Stringer on the same list is too much of the same type of player.

Stringer is a lock for the 22, so he obviously stays. So in reality we need to keep a max of two of Begley, Laverde and Langford. Lav was made available this year so he has the work to do I suppose.
Feels like all 3 will be playing for their spot on the list next year. Langford has the most credits i think, but i hope his midfield experiment is scrapped and he trains with the forwards.

Because our best player is being traded and we need value to replace him? If he does well, then Sydney will trade for him.

You are being delusional - You match the bid then JD goes into the ND or even the PSD - Then you receive no compensation - Let's cut our nose off to spite your face.

Rubbish
They were never going to give up the world for a player who they get for nothing in a year.
I hope I am wrong but we will rue passing 5 and 9
Joe gave us a chance to get overs for him and dodoro has taken a massive risk
How he has kept his job with so little team success is mysterious and ridiculous
If joe walks next year he has to be gone

Maybe he's starting to feel that external pressure and it's a hail mary move to maintain his position. Regardless of Joe's health a finals win is a must next year to retain that position and he's betting that a fit Joe is more likely to achieve that than two kids.

You are being delusional - You match the bid then JD goes into the ND or even the PSD - Then you receive no compensation - Let's cut our nose off to spite your face.

It seems unlikely Joe would go into the draft given that he wants out of Melbourne. Of course, we don't know what the draft order will be, but you'd think there'd be a few picks before Sydney's first. Why would he risk getting picked up by some club he doesn't want to be at?

Plus, Joe reportedly has nothing against Essendon, so will probably want the club to receive fair compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has happened before hasn’t it

Maybe he's starting to feel that external pressure and it's a hail mary move to maintain his position. Regardless of Joe's health a finals win is a must next year to retain that position and he's betting that a fit Joe is more likely to achieve that than two kids.
He was promoted to GM like not even a year ago, so that seems unlikely.

i still think "win a final" is a weird and pointless aim for a club to have.

why can't we want to make a prelim or win a flag like normal clubs?
Because the popular view is that to get to the point of winning a flag you need to have worked up to it with at least a semi or prelim appearance in the years prior.

There are exceptions though. The Crows in 1997 had missed finals the previous three seasons. The Dogs in 2016 hadn’t won a final since 2010. The Tigers hadn’t won a final since 2001 before 2017.

i still think "win a final" is a weird and pointless aim for a club to have.

why can't we want to make a prelim or win a flag like normal clubs?

Or temper expectations and realise we are an 8th- 10th team.

Because the popular view is that to get to the point of winning a flag you need to have worked up to it with at least a semi or prelim appearance in the years prior.

There are exceptions though. The Crows in 1997 had missed finals the previous three seasons. The Dogs in 2016 hadn’t won a final since 2010. The Tigers hadn’t won a final since 2001 before 2017.
I understand that these things often happen incrementally. But I don't accept that it's useful to set limiting goals.

Ten years ago talk was intense about premiership window. Teams were always going full rebuild. Coaches and executives would effectively say to members and media "we're aiming for 12th this year". I HATED that. Play to win - and if you don't quite - well it's a step in the right direction.

Thankfully this has shifted across the comp.. We are seeing clubs like Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn refusing to accept you need to bottom out. We have also seen a number of teams win unlikely premierships.

If the 2016 Bulldogs had an aim of simply "winning a final" would they have surged through from 7th?

I believe all clubs should be plotting a way to be the best - using whatever they have at their disposal.

Only losers aim for mediocrity.

Or temper expectations and realise we are an 8th- 10th team.
this is a pointless way to plan for seasons. what you have been isn't what you could be.

why not aim for profound improvement at an individual and club level - rather than boxing yourself in by rating your list against others in october the year before.

this is a pointless way to plan for seasons. what you have been isn't what you could be.

Yep it's awesome when we think we are primed for top 4 and get belted in round 1 by 80 points.

I feel so inspired

3e2hv4.jpg

Yep it's awesome when we think we are primed for top 4 and get belted in round 1 by 80 points.
to succeed your goals need to be high - and you need to have a realistic understanding of (and willingness to do) the work required to get there.

in round 1 this year we might have had the first - but we sure didn't have the second.

i'd rather work on the second part than ditch the first

Remove this Banner Ad

Back