Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

I wasn’t trying to misrepresent your point or get hung up on Myers for that matter. I was merely using him as an example of why you can’t just take quantity of games as an indication of success.

It's not an unreasonable point because you're addressing what is a very self-fulling argument.

Selection in an AFL team is held out as objective verification that a player has met a certain standard for selection when no standard actually exists.

How many kids drafted to low clubs play 50 they should never really have played or that they wouldnt have played at that point in their careers at a team that isnt a basket case? Alternative talent players? s**t trucks that people in the football industry fall in love with?

A VFL list should have won the VFL GF this year against the AFL premier with a list as healthy as anyone could realistically expect (and it's not like Willy didnt have injuries, etc).

There is no test anyone sits which demonstrates a level of knowledge of competence. No such test can exist, it's the nature of the best.

Opinion is almost the sole determining factor in whether a large percentage of players have a career.

At this point in his career, when the biggest success Dodoro has had is doing property deals using club connections, is Dodoro's opinion 1 we should really care about? Our coaching staff?

There is lot to suggest that Rutten, Caracella and possibly Richardson think little of their views.

Last edited:

Have said it before and will repeat the sentiments.

Dodoro is great with player negotiations, incoming/outgoings but it is the draft where he needs to impress me more. We have quite clear holes in our list, would be nice if he were able to address them and show us the footy public we can see the same vision moving forward.

In the end he is really a failed pick for a top ten but it was more to do with injury. If he has no injury issues he plays 200 games and his best would have been good although not in the super star class.

Fair assessment. At Essendon I could see him reaching 200 without injury. Do you think he would have reached that same number at the better teams over the past decade though, like Collingwood, geelong, or hawthorn?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will do anything to avoid drafting an inside mid.

It's starting to feel like there are a few levels of delusion at play, isn't it?

1. Inside mids are not important;

2. Our inside mids are good; and/or

3. We might actually try to develop a flanker we have drafted as an inside mid to go along with the Langford inside beast.

I wanted Comben but am genuinely surprised that we've taken two talls (with two NGA talls available next year who are projecting at least as top 50 prospects who are raw and athletic).

I suppose we are driven by the uncertainty surrounding Daniher and the fading of Hurley and Hooker.

20 years of the same strategy and we are yet to win a final. It's time to move on Dodoro.
This idiot Didoro will not select midfielders and it is why we are not capable of being a top 4 side Adrian just go the sooner the better you have presided over a period of mediocrity in recruiting at essendon for over 10 years just go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back