Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

He will do anything to avoid drafting an inside mid.
Perhaps he's looking to rookie Partington or Hibberd? Or perhaps they're even planning on playing Townsend as a mid?
Probs not, probs pick up another project flanker, but who knows.

JFC what do yall want him to do, trade a future first for Robertson? Or give back Shiel and ask for our pick back? Our top pick in this draft already went to a top tier mid.

The best inside mid options actually available to us were all speculative and TWO OF THEM ARE STILL AVAILABLE!
Dodo got a 5 pick upgrade effectively for free, even increasing out draft point bidding flexibility next year by splitting up 1 pick into 3.
We had no right to get the young forward we needed with the picks we had. Let alone a hugh potential ruck project.
Dodo couldve picked Chirgwin at 50 and it would've stopped alot of the whinging here, but luckily dodo doesn't read bigfooty and now we have the option to rookie him, on a lower risk 1 year contract. Or take Hibberd for a more immediate impact. Two solid options, still on the board.
What is left on the board for the (also necessary) positions that we drafted for?

JFC what do yall want him to do, trade a future first for Robertson? Or give back Shiel and ask for our pick back? Our top pick in this draft already went to a top tier mid.

The best inside mid options actually available to us were all speculative and TWO OF THEM ARE STILL AVAILABLE!
Dodo got a 5 pick upgrade effectively for free, even increasing out draft point bidding flexibility next year by splitting up 1 pick into 3.
We had no right to get the young forward we needed with the picks we had. Let alone a hugh potential ruck project.
Dodo couldve picked Chirgwin at 50 and it would've stopped alot of the whinging here, but luckily dodo doesn't read bigfooty and now we have the option to rookie him, on a lower risk 1 year contract. Or take Hibberd for a more immediate impact. Two solid options, still on the board.
What is left on the board for the (also necessary) positions that we drafted for?
The problem is our lack of midfield depth. How come everyone can see it except dodo?

The problem is our lack of midfield depth. How come everyone can see it except dodo?

That's our problem is it?
So one inside mid in this draft is going to somehow propel the club up the ladder?

When exactly? Next year? Ok so who is this amazing inside mid that we are picking outside the top 20 that is going to walk into our starting midfield displacing who we already have and has years in the system?

Ok so maybe not immediate impact? Kind of points against immediate need but Let's still grab that inside mid. But wait Joe Daniher has walked out, and Raz, and Draper hasn't recovered fully from his knee, or it goes again.
So we are relying on an over 30 Bellchambers, Sean McKernan and Moz ( you know the kid who may not even play a game) as their replacements going forward. But at least we will have that absolute gun inside mid as that was all we needed.

Oh we will fix those holes next year? They might stay?
The stick that has been used to beat this club is the lack of forward planning. Here they are trying to safeguard the list and keep it reasonably balanced and this absolute nutcase of a board whinge about it. Why? Because you read a paragraph description of a player on here or the AFL app saying such and such was an inside mid?
The club tried to get the pick needed for Robertson, they couldn't get it done.

We have mids they are not the best but they are adequate. We also have one of the best mids in the league in Shiel and Merret. Not bad quality there. Yes we need an inside mid beast to help us this coming year, short of trading in Patrick Cripps how were we going to get one here?

I said when the Daniher news came out this would * us up going forward. This is what I meant, we have to now focus on other needs that are more important to keep this club functional. We need rucks and KPFs in the door and we have done that.
Not to mention there are still midfielders available, in the rookie draft that people were crying to take at 50.

These guys have been working at this all year and have far more information than on here.

So one inside mid in this draft is going to somehow propel the club up the ladder?

When exactly? Next year? Ok so who is this amazing inside mid that we are picking outside the top 20 that is going to walk into our starting midfield displacing who we already have and has years in the system?

My problem with Dodoro has been his lack of forward planning. We didn't plan between TBC and then Sam Draper for a ruckmen, instead topping up, moneyball style in hope that Drapes comes on quicker (which luckily he did, but unluckily has done his ACL). As the KPF's take much longer, we hardly selected a KPF to develop long term, now with so much conjecture over Joe we are trying to scamble for a decent one.

For the record, even though an inside midfielder won't be a dominant selection in the midst of the 50's and 60's, we are going to rely on our flankers to do the heavy lifting at VFL level. Mynott, Jok, Myers, Long were all mids at VFL level. We are once againg going to be transforming (non midfield) players into true mids. Something that has worked out incredibly well for the last decade.

Ok so maybe not immediate impact? Kind of points against immediate need but Let's still grab that inside mid. But wait Joe Daniher has walked out, and Raz, and Draper hasn't recovered fully from his knee, or it goes again.
So we are relying on an over 30 Bellchambers, Sean McKernan and Moz ( you know the kid who may not even play a game) as their replacements going forward. But at least we will have that absolute gun inside mid as that was all we needed.

Oh we will fix those holes next year? They might stay?
The stick that has been used to beat this club is the lack of forward planning. Here they are trying to safeguard the list and keep it reasonably balanced and this absolute nutcase of a board whinge about it. Why? Because you read a paragraph description of a player on here or the AFL app saying such and such was an inside mid?
The club tried to get the pick needed for Robertson, they couldn't get it done.

We have mids they are not the best but they are adequate. We also have one of the best mids in the league in Shiel and Merret. Not bad quality there. Yes we need an inside mid beast to help us this coming year, short of trading in Patrick Cripps how were we going to get one here?

I said when the Daniher news came out this would fu** us up going forward. This is what I meant, we have to now focus on other needs that are more important to keep this club functional. We need rucks and KPFs in the door and we have done that.
Not to mention there are still midfielders available, in the rookie draft that people were crying to take at 50.

These guys have been working at this all year and have far more information than on here.

No. 1 inside mid wont solve any issues but this same conversation has been regurgitating itself since 2002 finals loss to Port when Hird said we need to get a better midfield. We have never ever solved the issue and keep plugging gaps.

I dont mind what we took in jones and Ryan as they are needs but 2x 2nd round picks for Jones is costly.

The problem is if joe does leave and hooker retires what gaps are we looking at flling again next year?

Honestly i dont think our first team would beat Richmonds VFL premiership side.

I just dont see us getting our hands on the ball at the stoppages enough to allow Shiel, Mcgrath and Merrett to do their best work.

My problem with Dodoro has been his lack of forward planning. We didn't plan between TBC and then Sam Draper for a ruckmen, instead topping up, moneyball style in hope that Drapes comes on quicker (which luckily he did, but unluckily has done his ACL). As the KPF's take much longer, we hardly selected a KPF to develop long term, now with so much conjecture over Joe we are trying to scamble for a decent one.

For the record, even though an inside midfielder won't be a dominant selection in the midst of the 50's and 60's, we are going to rely on our flankers to do the heavy lifting at VFL level. Mynott, Jok, Myers, Long were all mids at VFL level. We are once againg going to be transforming (non midfield) players into true mids. Something that has worked out incredibly well for the last decade.

You'd think that loading up with picks next year is for Brand and Eyre (spelling?).

Both key position players in our NGA.

So I doubt we'll be taking a handful of mids next year either.

I've got to say I'm loving the look of our KPP stocks.

Pity that the game has been a midfielders' game for 20 years.

I like the look of Bryan in isolation but then does he even fit into a team with Draper? There is no real suggestion he is a forward.

Draper just signed a 4 year deal and is 3 years older. I don't see how he and Bryan are not intertwined.

No. 1 inside mid wont solve any issues but this same conversation has been regurgitating itself since 2002 finals loss to Port when Hird said we need to get a better midfield. We have never ever solved the issue and keep plugging gaps.

I dont mind what we took in jones and Ryan as they are needs but 2x 2nd round picks for Jones is costly.

The problem is if joe does leave and hooker retires what gaps are we looking at flling again next year?

Honestly i dont think our first team would beat Richmonds VFL premiership side.

I just dont see us getting our hands on the ball at the stoppages enough to allow Shiel, Mcgrath and Merrett to do their best work.
Our VFL team lost to them by how much?

Up until this past year our tall stocks were fine. We had a generational talent in Daniher you can't blame the club for focusing on other gaps instead of trying to grab one.

He leaving has meant we now have to adapt.

I don't blame the list management team for adapting to s**t circumstances. If we had of gone to this draft and tried to fill this need of midfielders fans want I would love to have seen the absolute meltdown when Joe and Stewart can't get back on the park or leave and Draper and Bellchambers fall apart as a ruck team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking throughout the year. We were only a couple of goals off them in all 3.

yeah cool, but since then look at their draft recruits versus ours. Take into account Rance goes back into senior side pushes someone out into VFL as does Stack.

They have Dawkins, Ralph Smith, Dow and a few others now developing in the VFL not to mention there developing ruck stocks.

yeah cool, but since then look at their draft recruits versus ours. Take into account Rance goes back into senior side pushes someone out into VFL as does Stack.

They have Dawkins, Ralph Smith, Dow and a few others now developing in the VFL not to mention there developing ruck stocks.
So much that their VFL side suddenly becomes better than our AFL?

So what part of what he’s done in the last 6 weeks doesn’t get a huge tick?

Retained everyone we wanted to retain.
Added experienced bodies for next to nothing in positions of need.
Added 2 super promising, young, developing talls.
Added 2 strong and physical pressure forwards that can hit the scoreboard.

If the worst move you make in an exchange period is deciding to delist Tom Jok then you’ve done exceedingly well, have you not?

If the worst move you make in an exchange period is deciding to delist Tom Jok then you’ve done exceedingly well, have you not?

and in last 20 years developed a list capable of challenging for finals wins and premierships... oh wait.

and in last 20 years developed a list capable of challenging for finals wins and premierships... oh wait.
The last 20 years occurred in the past 6 weeks?

No wonder I'm tired.

Agree but the Joey decision could haunt us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back