Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Why don't you and Carlton do a trade of list managers. SOS won't have the conflict of intetest with his son then

I just went wobbly at the knees. All my hard work disparaging The Great Man so we could swoop on him would have paid off.

I'll be waiting in the Ikon Park carpark to present him with a navy jacket.

I’m not 1 of those guys because I’ve never seen him play but just because he’s gone undrafted doesn’t make them necessarily wrong. Tim Kelly and stack come to mind proving recruiters wrong.
In the case of Kelly he was not ready for AFL the first few times he was passed over. Clubs where not wrong. They waited until he showed the form needed.
Stack was more a call on how professional he was and if he would be distracted by of field issues. It is not like the Tigers had blind faith. They got him over and made him start pre season before going ahead.
The issue is not about being wrong but more making sure you revisit some of these guys who may not quite be ready for an AFL system at 18 or 19.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
In the case of Kelly he was not ready for AFL the first few times he was passed over. Clubs where not wrong. They waited until he showed the form needed.
Stack was more a call on how professional he was and if he would be distracted by of field issues. It is not like the Tigers had blind faith. They got him over and made him start pre season before going ahead.
The issue is not about being wrong but more making sure you revisit some of these guys who may not quite be ready for an AFL system at 18 or 19.

Yep and then was passed on 20 times in the draft he was taken, guess he wasn't ready then for 20 odd picks either 🙄

Yep and then was passed on 20 times in the draft he was taken, guess he wasn't ready then for 20 odd picks either 🙄
So what. Did not see you before the draft saying he was top ten ......
He went earlier than most expected including the Eagles who had the best inside line on him. He went where he did. There is no proven insight into how much a player may improve or not improve .🙄
He was on clubs radars. They where looking at how he was progressing. He even got better in his second year at the Cats. No one in any field of life gets all decisions they make 100% correct so I am not sure what going at pick 24 has to do with anything. All clubs can have the finger pointed at them for blokes they have passed on in the same way they can have their hits. You could find 50 plus players that you could say "got passed 20 times or 30 times" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
So what. Did not see you before the draft saying he was top ten ......
He went earlier than most expected including the Eagles who had the best inside line on him. He went where he did. There is no proven insight into how much a player may improve or not improve .🙄
Even if people did, what would they know? They aren't recruiters so their opinions would be dismissed. It's a good setup we got here.

Couldn't you say that about almost every player that turns out to be a star?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t know. Maybe injuries don’t walk out the door with the previous medical staff?

Also probably a bit of mayo applied to the article, likely most clubs would have their draftees and senior players on modified programs pre-Christmas anyway, which I'm going to assume they've counted as being 'not fit' when really it's just sensible player management.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Is that the German Santa that kidnaps children if they’re inefficient?
That would be Krampus... see the link.
There's also a popular book of fairytales/morality stories for children.
It has stories such as "if you suck your thumb, a demon from the forest with giant scissors will come and cut it off". Kids are pretty well behaved here.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
That would be Krampus... see the link.
There's also a popular book of fairytales/morality stories for children.
It has stories such as "if you suck your thumb, a demon from the forest with giant scissors will come and cut it off". Kids are pretty well behaved here.

The Krampus movie is on SBS this Wednesday night.

Back