Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

You literally contradicted yourself from one sentence to the next.
Trust me there’s a big gulf of players and deals to pursue in between 2 first rounders for another midfielder who brings nothing we already don’t have and picking up Peter Wright to spearhead our forward line for years to come

I don't understand what is so difficult about this point to grasp.

If you want a gun young player who has 2 years left on his contract you either base you planning on getting the deal done (i.e. using 2 first round picks, trading Merrett) or you don't bother.

We got caught up in negotiations for a player we were not even serious about trading instead of pursing other players. You can't go to GWS and ask them to throw O'Halloran into the deal when they already know we're tied up with Dunkley. We need to offer them something.
What would you have done differently?

People keep getting caught up in the wrong issues with Dodoro

The issue isn’t whether he should have traded 2x first rounders for Dunkley, it’s all the other stuff

Last year he forced both Fantasia and Daniher to stay against their own will, meaning he had 12 months to plan for the obvious eventual exists and replenish our forward stocks

In that 12 months the best he could was Peter Wright

The guy needs to stop chasing the Shiel’s and Dunkley’s of the world and start planning an actual competent list, which he’s essentially failed to do even once in the last 20 years

Sure he’s a shrewd negotiatior and “wins trades” but that’s not even 5% of his job and he fails miserably at the rest

Anyone who can’t see this is deluded

Yep, good take, you’ve got to be able to see the forest through the trees.

Yes he can wheel and deal with the best of them, and that’s fine, I regard him as an asset in that way, but he’s proven he’s incapable of putting a list together.To be honest if we poached a proven, gun list manager and they could work together I think we’d have the best of both worlds.

I can’t really fault the moves made, I would have nibbled at Tom Phillips because he’d be a nice fit but with what?

If Dodo ****ed up getting Dunkley and 2 of our 3 top 10s end up being busts then he's got to go

You would seriously offer two first round picks two top 8 picks, with nothing in return, for someone who hasn't even been an all Australian!? That is a reasonable demand by the dogs?
Yes. It's overs, but you have to do it when a guy with two years to run on a contract wants to come to your club.

7 + 8. 2nd back
they baulk, what else can you do.

The other one I find hard to believe is we didn’t offer next year’s first as part of a deal. That’s clearly more valuable to the Dogs than this year because of the bidding.

Just this year’s first and next year’s second? That’s the only offer?

The other one I find hard to believe is we didn’t offer next year’s first as part of a deal. That’s clearly more valuable to the Dogs than this year because of the bidding.

Just this year’s first and next year’s second? That’s the only offer?
nets out ok. Our 1st next year was probably tough with all the later picks we moved out for other deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In that 12 months the best he could was Peter Wright

The guy needs to stop chasing the Shiel’s and Dunkley’s of the world and start planning an actual competent list, which he’s essentially failed to do even once in the last 20 years

The reason he could only get Peter Wright is because of the performance of the side. What elite key forward wants to go to a rebuilding team?

He starts building a component list by not over paying. This is was what he needed to do with Shiel.

Get the Lachie Neale like bargin and then you can keep turning over the bottom end of your list.

Hard to hide the disappointment on his face in the wrap video.
He has no right to be disappointed in my opinion. If you want to offer unders for a contracted player at least make one of the picks a future first that the opposition actually want to try to entice them to blink first. We tried to bring Dunkley here and then showed Doggies a useless offer.

How many players in the 5-10 range are as good as or better than Dunkley in the last 10 years? Without looking at all, I'd guess 25%. Can't fault them for not giving away two top 10 picks. If you hit with those picks that can set you up for a long time. Not many clubs do though.

I would have traded them with a 2nd coming back in an instant. Not only is Dunkley what we need, he is ready made. While bringing in youth may be better long term - I can't help but feel a little disappointed knowing that these kids won't have the impact Dunkley would have for at least 2-3 years - if ever.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

He has no right to be disappointed in my opinion. If you want to offer unders for a contracted player at least make one of the picks a future first that the opposition actually want to try to entice them to blink first. We tried to bring Dunkley here and then showed Doggies a useless offer.
They wanted two top 10 picks presumably including our future 1st.
Therefore it would've had to have been pick 8 and a future 1st.
On what earth is JD worth two top 10 picks? That is just takin the p1ss.
Dogs had no serious interest in trading him. It's as simple as that.

On the earth where JD still means Joe Daniher and the swans offer it up and you still * things up.

It's not about wanting Dunkley. What we did is tie up a stack of trade capital and energy on that deal despite the fact we were never going to come to the table. What trees did we not shake because we had allocated the picks required to get Dunkley?

You can't scatter gun trade period. You have to target players unless you have the picks and flexibility of mind to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves.

I saw your list of preferred players in the post following & I'm not sure any of them would be worth getting.

When a player comes out and nominates you out of the blue, as I'm assuming Dunkley was, then you have to try (within reason) to get them, particularly someone of Dunkley's calibre.

At least if not for Dunkley, but as a gesture to future elite players that we'll do everything we can to accommodate them if they nominate us.

What the Dogs wanted wasn't within reason.

In a world where Saad is worth pick 8, Daniher got pick 7 compo and the draft is weak!! We could have traded pick 8 and something small to Collingwood for pick 16 and there future first and then sent 7 and our future first to Doggies, back in that us with those additions vs Collingwood with their losses isn't that different next year and get a 23 yr old gun that meets exactly what we need both from a playing and professionalism point of view rather than picking up potential which we haven't done well in ages ie: 5 and 6 for Parish and Francis. Instead of winning each trade he could have looked at the net gain of the trade period and been very happy and been able to sell that easily to the supporters.

On now
HAHAHAHA

So they asked about the whiteboard. Response: "That Mozzie is up to his mischief again!" "I don't think he even knows who Menegola is, Adrian, come on" "Hahaha I'll have a talk to Mozzie. Trade week is one of the best bits of theatre."

Also blahblahblah Dunkley blahblah picks.

Hard to hide the disappointment on his face in the wrap video.
He knows that there will be a push for Zac next year and it would have been good to have a ready made replacement who had been in the system for 12 months to dampen the loss.

Potentially, we have to bring in two quality mids to make the jump. That thought would make anyone look shitty.

Or maybe, he was thinking about 2020 draft # 2 and how he could get someone else and had no time for a club camera being shoved in his face

HAHAHAHA

So they asked about the whiteboard. Response: "That Mozzie is up to his mischief again!" "I don't think he even knows who Menegola is, Adrian, come on" "Hahaha I'll have a talk to Mozzie. Trade week is one of the best bits of theatre."

Also blahblahblah Dunkley blahblah picks.
What did he actually say re. Dunkley, what were the emotions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back