FTA-TV Ads that piss you off (3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Asian, Middle Eastern, Polynesian, African American, but more rarely Aboriginal, which is really the least they could do. What’s the message here?
African American is the one i don't get.. like that Telstra add where the African American guy sits down at the movies and grabs the hands of what looks like an African American old man (but could also be an indian, it's dark in the cinema). I've legit never met an African American in Australia in my life outside of local basketball circles, and yet two happen to run into each other at the movies in a Telstra ad? Why do African American's get chosen to meet the diversity quota on an add over more representative ethnicities. His partner does look part indigenous so there's that, but what about all the wonderful Asian Australians?

I just see is as a reflection of Australia. People from all cultures.

Interestingly I’ve felt for sometime that in American ads you’ll see anyone and everyone. But it just seems run of the mill. No questions asked, accepted for what it is. An advertisement.

Here it appears first thought is token, woke, pandering to minorities,what’s wrong with being white, people should be judged on merit not dna etc.

I just see is as a reflection of Australia. People from all cultures.

Interestingly I’ve felt for sometime that in American ads you’ll see anyone and everyone. But it just seems run of the mill. No questions asked, accepted for what it is. An advertisement.

Here it appears first thought is token, woke, pandering to minorities,what’s wrong with being white, people should be judged on merit not dna etc.
I don’t mind who they use for ads, it’s just that some combinations are quite bizarre and strain the credibility, and by extension you feel rather cynical about the message they are trying to get across. As you say, tokenism. When ads are done well and are believable they are quite good, for example the bank ad with the Asian child looking out of the window for her mother. That’s appealing and nicely done, and you don’t think anything of it, because it’s natural.

I don’t mind who they use for ads, it’s just that some combinations are quite bizarre and strain the credibility, and by extension you feel rather cynical about the message they are trying to get across. As you say, tokenism. When ads are done well and are believable they are quite good, for example the bank ad with the Asian child looking out of the window for her mother. That’s appealing and nicely done, and you don’t think anything of it, because it’s natural.
There's real Australia then there's what a bunch of people in suits think is real and that's the problem.

Thought this was every ad
Yeah probably although some seem way louder. There actually is a law forbidding but the flaw is it mention ‘average volume’ so they deliberately have loud parts balanced by quieter ones…ridiculous

7BDD9438-286E-475E-B51D-9A8443774EEB.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah probably although some seem way louder. There actually is a law forbidding but the flaw is it mention ‘average volume’ so they deliberately have loud parts balanced by quieter ones…ridiculous

View attachment 1338639

Sounds like something Saul Goodman would exploit. What is the penalty for the breach anyway? A fine and the ad pulled from the air? At that point ad has probably had desired effect. Though I'm not sure what it is that is meant to be achieved here, what they want someone that decided to relieve themselves during the ad break to be able to hear the ad better? As mentioned there's a mute button for these situations.

The landcruiser ad and looks like the new telstra ad has hit the quaddy with cultural diversity with Asian, black, brown and white
If only the Land Cruiser drove them off a cliff instead of home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back