FTA-TV Ads that piss you off (3)

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's an ad for hair loss management can't remember the brand. The guy on the ad tells a story how he saw a bald person wearing the same jacket as him on a security camera then was shocked that it was actually him. * me chimpanzees and elephants can self recognise if you can't recognise yourself when looking at a security camera in line at a sevo going bald is the least of your problems.

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
That VW ad where it turns out the couple have both bought the same car without telling the other.

Seems to be pitched at people that have the resources to spend $30,000 on a whim without telling their significant other.

this... not like both pick up milk on the way home.
"Sorry love on a whim I decided to spend tens of thousands on a car"
"what a coincidence, so did I.. LOL"

Snoop menulog ad doing my head in now. Gets a run every commercial break anytime from 5pm onwards.

Why does it say “Paid Actor” under him? Are they worried we’d otherwise think he was giving an unsolicited opinion in rap form? Or is it a lookalike acting as Snoop?

Godchin

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
That bloody Jim Beam add

"I'm Eugene"

"You dropped your wallet"

Just fck off already
That ad doesn't make sense either.
The guy is all cheery at the end and is happy to share a drink with everyone. He seems like a nice guy.
It's begs the question, why is so incredibly angry when he first walks into the pub and asks who Eugene is?
I get the ad wouldn't work if he wasn't angry with veins popping out his neck to begin with but the whole premise is one big plot-hole.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
All the Budget Direct ads annoy me because of their over-acting, but the one with the dog running around with a lightsaber in its mouth particularly so.

Besides the fact that the shrill "It's the neighbour's dog" voiceover doesn't even sound like anyone in the ad, the implication that the fake detective guy representing Budget Direct could have stopped the dog a whole lot earlier (thereby stopping a whole lot of damage to public and private property from happening) seems like a stupid move by whoever created the ad imo

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
I can't be the only one who goes crazy when those Real Insurance ads comes on. The dialogue and acting is so diabolically stilted it looks like aliens imitating human behaviour.

Nobody involved with the creation of those ads (and there's like 12 variations of the ******* things) has ever witnessed a human interaction before. Insurance ads are typically awful but these are so bad it's like self-parody.

I can't be the only one who goes crazy when those Real Insurance ads comes on. The dialogue and acting is so diabolically stilted it looks like aliens imitating human behaviour.

Nobody involved with the creation of those ads (and there's like 12 variations of the ******* things) has ever witnessed a human interaction before. Insurance ads are typically awful but these are so bad it's like self-parody.

“This crib is hard to build. I hope the baby comes with better instructions.”
“Haha yeah. Hey that reminds me, what would happen to the baby if one of us was in a horrible accident?”

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
“This crib is hard to build. I hope the baby comes with better instructions.”
“Haha yeah. Hey that reminds me, what would happen to the baby if one of us was in a horrible accident?”

"Let's do one simple thing and contact Real Life Insurance"

Because people love to use awkward marketing slogans when discussing their own mortality.

I see they’ve started pairing up the male and female models with the badly dubbed voices on Eharmony ads.

“Hey look. These two impossibly attractive people found love on our site, so what’s stopping you from signing up Johnny Q Ugmo?”

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
I see they’ve started pairing up the male and female models with the badly dubbed voices on Eharmony ads.

“Hey look. These two impossibly attractive people found love on our site, so what’s stopping you from signing up Johnny Q Ugmo?”

That's the thing, they specifically mention high quality singles so does that mean there's a vetting process and Johnny Ugmo gets a 'thanks but no thanks' rebuff?

That's the thing, they specifically mention high quality singles so does that mean there's a vetting process and Johnny Ugmo gets a 'thanks but no thanks' rebuff?

If so, they’ve only brought that in since I was a member.

And, possibly, directly in response to the fact that I was a member.

MJG14

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
The Jim Beam ad with the annoying 'how much Jim Beam could Jimmy Brings bring' tongue twister. And the Jim Beam Eugene ad which has unfortunately made a comeback. There's must be something about Jim Beam's advertising which is really annoying...

The fact that AFL season is now finished also means that I won't have to put up with any more ads for that terrible SAS Australia.

Last edited:

Rooz90

All Australian
Mar 30, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Melbourne City
The Telstra business internet ad where the two girls working in the coffee shop? and one of them is that excited to have received a message from Telstra advising of an upgrade.

Not once in my life have I turned to someone and gone “oh that was Optus, we’re getting an upgrade hehe”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Godchin

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

The voice dubbing is horrible. I'm not in advertising but surely if they reshot it with Australians, it would have a greater effect on people watching. It gives the platform really strong Americentric vibes and erodes away any hope that there's a plethora of local talent on there.

The other eHarmony ad with the woman stating that she "deserves better than swipe left or swipe right" is annoying too. She's probably spent the last decade on Tinder getting slammed six ways from Sunday every weekend by a new bloke, and now that she's 30, she has deluded herself into thinking that she deserves to settle down with Mr. Right posthaste.

The woman getting waaaaaay too excited about ordering furniture online while her wuss of a husband just sits there.

And what’s her actual name? I swear the delivery bloke says “I’ve got a package for Abba”. Is it supposed to be Abby? Or Anna, but he has a cold?

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The voice dubbing is horrible. I'm not in advertising but surely if they reshot it with Australians, it would have a greater effect on people watching. It gives the platform really strong Americentric vibes and erodes away any hope that there's a plethora of local talent on there.

The other eHarmony ad with the woman stating that she "deserves better than swipe left or swipe right" is annoying too. She's probably spent the last decade on Tinder getting slammed six ways from Sunday every weekend by a new bloke, and now that she's 30, she has deluded herself into thinking that she deserves to settle down with Mr. Right posthaste.
Hahahaha *n gold

There's an add for a betting agency which has four blokes walking into a pub acting like the biggest tools you've ever seen, and everyone up to and including the chick on the telly gasps in amazement. My question is, are those four blokes famous irl or something? I can't get my head around it. They act like complete dickheads and for some reason think that we'd use their stupid betting app. There must be more to it.

Back